Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40% increase in disability since 2006.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

yipeeeee wrote: »
    It's 9% while Greece is 25%, what point are you trying to make?

Missing the 89k on schemes and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Missing the 89k on schemes and all that.

Where is the 89k figure coming from?

The unemployment rate is such that.

It's people not working, anything else is of no relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Most of my friends/acquaintances who went abroad have already returned (we're mid-20s). Only a handful stayed there or went on to another country. All of them left jobs to go too. An unemployed person would likely struggle to save to go to Oz (I assume anyways).

So your mates are home, great!

And poor people can't afford to emigrate to Australia which mean... Which means what? It's the only place people went?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Where is the 89k figure coming from?

The unemployment rate is such that.

It's people not working, anything else is of no relevance.

Kind of is when they still receive SW payments and are ahem not on SW anymore. Have linked it in other threads not doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

All the people I know on disabilty truly need it, and had to really chase it down and jump through hoops, more than anyone that sick should have to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I have MS but continue to work . I don't have and won't get a medical card unless I stop working,One of meds that I have to pay for myself cosst €280 a month. I pay VHI which covers the other med to the tune of 2,500, The lure of getting for all of this paid for by the state is huge, but I intend to work while I can, though I am in bed each night after work during the week due to fatigue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I have MS but continue to work . I don't have and won't get a medical card unless I stop working,One of meds that I have to pay for myself cosst €280 a month. I pay VHI which covers the other med to the tune of 2,500, The lure of getting for all of this paid for by the state is huge, but I intend to work while I can, though I am in bed each night after work during the week due to fatigue.

Can you not avail of the drug payment scheme and pay 140-odd per month for all meds?

That's what my mam does. She's on easily 500 euro plus worth of meds per month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Hero status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So your mates are home, great!

Wow, that's what you took from my post??:pac: My point is that most of that 'generation of emigration' nonsense isn't really all it's cracked up to be. There were even studies done that showed that most people who emigrate aren't the unemployed, just young people being young.

Also there's nothing wrong with a bit of aul' anecdotal evidence.
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    And poor people can't afford to emigrate to Australia which mean... Which means what? It's the only place people went?

Don't be so pedantic.:rolleyes: This is a forum post not a Official Study. No where did I imply that's the only place, but Australia is simply one of the first examples that comes to mind when we think of all the young Irish forced to emigrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It could also be possible that people were able to find a job they were capable of with their disability or a place was willing to take them on with an easier workload. Then everything went to **** and nowhere will give them a job.
    many people that cant now find suitable jobs because of the downturn are also being refused jobseekers because they are not both available and capable of work so are left with no other option but to seek disability benefit.
    Fair enough maybe I have it wrong so, just going on that article I thought it seemed the case.
    that article is dealing with costs only and not any human element.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm at least 40% more unable than I was in 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭893bet

See I would love if all the lazy wasters I know on disability payments got cut off and people like you got what they are entitled to!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

893bet wrote: »
    See I would love if all the lazy wasters I know on disability payments got cut off and people like you got what they are entitled to!
    Is your username a bet you made with yourself (or maybe someone else) to see if you can get to 893 posts before getting banned? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Chucken wrote: »
    If you want to start early in the week with the weekly welfare bashing thread, fire away. I'm not entertaining it...or you.

Yeah who cares if its costing €21 billion a year.. lets just not talk about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

893bet wrote: »

One can only live in hope. Hard nut to crack without being labelled an insensitive mother****er but another way of looking at it is that they can't hurt you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

There were even studies done that showed that most people who emigrate aren't the unemployed, just young people being young.
    Why did they suddenly start 'being young' in 2009:confused:

Of course it wasn't the unemployed who tended to emigrate. The lowest earners would not tend to have the financial capital to emigrate. But it was certainly related to the economic downturn, the low availability of work and associated weak career prospects.

To claim it was 'just young people being young' is obviously false. Young people have always been young, but they only emigrate in these numbers during a period of recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Jesus walked into a bar, and saw 3 lads together having a pint. One English lad, one Welsh lad, and an Irish guy.

He blessed the English guy , and his arthritis was cured. It was a miracle.
    He put the sign of the cross on the Welsh gentleman's head, and his eyesight improved twofold. A miracle upon miracles.

He approaches the Irish guy.... 'Oi, f#ck off, I'm claiming disability'

Advertisement