Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40% increase in disability since 2006.

Options
  • 01-03-2015 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2013/04/04/the-mystery-of-disability

Anyone see this article? Claims there is an increase of 40% in people leaving the workforce due to disability since 2006.

And the figures aren't included when talking about unemployment.

Highest disability claims in Europe.

Kind of puts the public funding etc from the AAA crowd into perspective.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I'd imagine it could be true if mental health counts as a disability?

You don't destroy a nation and cripple it's people with massive financial burden without expecting something like this to happen.

Don't know if it's true and just covered up here but we've the highest suicide rate in Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Have we increased what we have classed as a 'disability' since then? Could be to bring us in line with EU rules?

Edit: isnt that article over two years old now? Must be explanations for this by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Mint Aero wrote: »
    I'd imagine it could be true if mental health counts as a disability?

You don't destroy a nation and cripple it's people with massive financial burden without expecting something like this to happen.

Don't know if it's true and just covered up here but we've the highest suicide rate in Europe?

These left the workforce, so they had jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

To get disability here it can take over a year to get the payment

yipeeeee wrote: »
    These left the workforce, so they had jobs.

Mental health is never black and white like that. Maybe reduced hours and pay, maybe family members where laid off and they where working more, who knows. FF left a fine legacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,820 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A million people have free travel and 2 million people have medical cards, clearly somethings wrong in a country of our size.

Mental health is never black and white like that. Maybe reduced hours and pay, maybe family members where laid off and they where working more, who knows. FF left a fine legacy.

Greece had it a lot worst, strange were still top.

Always the governments fault isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Gatling wrote: »
    To get disability here it can take over a year to get the payment

If indeed the payment is awarded at all.

A million people have free travel and 2 million people have medical cards, clearly somethings wrong in a country of our size.

Wow that is something else.

And people wonder why we need to start paying for water etc.

Massive welfare rate is crippling us.

Chucken wrote: »
    If indeed the payment is awarded at all.

Clearly seems to be.

• Advertisement

Wow that is something else.

And people wonder why we need to start paying for water etc.

Massive welfare rate is crippling us.

I was wondering when you'd throw that in :rolleyes:
    Clearly seems to be.

Sure. Ya. Everyone that applies, gets it. No problem at all.

I was wondering when you'd throw that in :rolleyes:

Sure. Ya. Everyone that applies, gets it. No problem at all.

Is it not relevant though?

Is it not relevant though?

If you want to start early in the week with the weekly welfare bashing thread, fire away. I'm not entertaining it...or you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I remember when my mam's disability was granted (and yes, she's severely disabled, can't even leave the house alone, let alone work), they gave her a travel + companion pass despite her telling them repeatedly that she didn't want it, because she can't get on buses so she gets a taxi on the rare occasion that she goes anywhere.

They sent her one anyway, which has been languishing in a drawer somewhere since.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If they're waiting for scans they will be waiting at least a year. Maybe their fine , they're fully fit for work they just don't know their fit for work because they haven't got their medical examination to give them the all clear.

Wow calm down buddy. What have you got against the most vulnerable in our society big man?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Much easier to just claim the dole than jump through the many hoops that disability allowance throw at you.
    Must be a genuine reason for it.

Wow calm down buddy. What have you got against the most vulnerable in our society big man?
    Absolutely nothing, don't put words in my mouth.

I think they are well looked after, but this isn't been acknowledged that's my whole point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

It could also be possible that people were able to find a job they were capable of with their disability or a place was willing to take them on with an easier workload. Then everything went to **** and nowhere will give them a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Absolutely nothing.

I think they are well looked after, but this isn't been acknowledged that's my whole point.

They're not.

• Advertisement

They're not.

Fair enough maybe I have it wrong so, just going on that article I thought it seemed the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It could also be possible that people were able to find a job they were capable of with their disability or a place was willing to take them on with an easier workload. Then everything went to **** and nowhere will give them a job.

I think, in my own uneducated opinion, that this could be a massive factor in it. It's difficult enough to get a job when you're completely able bodied and fully qualified. It's an employers market right now.

As for 2 million having a medical card, good. The sooner everyone gets one, the better. I'd much rather my taxes go towards funding health care and education than some of the things they are spent on. I'd even be happy to pay higher taxes if I knew that's where they were going. That's probably never going to happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

It's not true http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/sites/9789264183896-en/01/07/g1-07-01.html?contentType=&itemId=%2Fcontent%2Fchapter%2F9789264183896-10-en&mimeType=text%2Fhtml&containerItemId=%2Fcontent%2Fserial%2F23056088&accessItemIds=%2Fcontent%2Fbook%2F9789264183896-en&_csp_=be14f43f3ab04271fcf917d221d83f55

A report published in 2013 did state we were amongst the highest for teen suicide though (highest for females, 2nd highest for males) iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Roughly 11% unemployment rate which would be higher if it wasn't for a generation that fled abroad.

Sure, we're laughing, aren't we?

:rolleyes:

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Roughly 11% unemployment rate which would be higher if it wasn't for a generation that fled abroad.

Sure, we're laughing, aren't we?

:rolleyes:

It's 9% while Greece is 25%, what point are you trying to make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

The million on free travel includes ( and is mostly) older people. Out of a population of 4.2 million we probably have 500k+ over 65. In many european countries everybody gets a medical card, effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It's 9% while Greece is 25%, what point are you trying to make?

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/ireland/unemployment-rate

It's 10.5%.

We're hardly "still top". :rolleyes:

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/ireland/unemployment-rate

It's 10.5%.

We're hardly "still top". :rolleyes:

Just reading that, it says unemployment has been an average of 10.70% since 1983.

So we're at the average for Ireland but going the right way.
    http://www.cso.ie/en/index.html

Cso saying it's 10.30%.

What an improvement from 16% a couple of years ago.

Edit- I think you're mixing up what I was referring to about been top.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If you want to start early in the week with the weekly welfare bashing thread, fire away. I'm not entertaining it...or you.
    Deflect deflect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

If you have a medical card, then your kids are eligible get one up to the age of 24. So this boosts the number dramatically. It'd be more interesting to know how many households have medical cards.

Secondly the UK spends a similar amount of money per person on healthcare and manages to have free health care for all. We've too many executives soaking up the money.

Most of my friends/acquaintances who went abroad have already returned (we're mid-20s). Only a handful stayed there or went on to another country. All of them left jobs to go too. An unemployed person would likely struggle to save to go to Oz (I assume anyways).

Advertisement