Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designer Watches.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ah, sure don't mind me, I'm just jealous that I can't afford a watch that expensive. If I could I'd probably buy a Patek Phillipe though.:)

You weren't totally wrong to be fair; it probably is the go-to brand for people who want to show off their wealth. But they're not really particularly garish watches usually, unlike something by Hublot or Richard Mille for example.

I do love their subs, but will most likely go for something a bit more under the radar like this Tudor. Or a grand Seiko that most people will assume only cost a few hundred quid.

Lotto win? I think this Irish company do incredible work: McGonigle Watches.

Anyway, I forget what my point was. It's a bit of a ridiculous hobby to have, when you can spend 50 quid and get something with far more functionality than anything from a luxury brand.

But at the same time, a huge amount of people won't think twice about losing thousands of euros on their car's value every year, whereas the right watch can hold its value for decades and be passed down to the next generation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've owned 2 myself. My Da gave me one when I was younger but he'd let it sit for a few decades so it died sadly.
    If it's a quartz its usually down to battery leaking and buggering the movement(actual watchmaking term). If it's a mechanical, windup job, then a cheap service will nearly always get them running again. Seiko are built like tonka toys on the inside(and outside). Daftly robust.
    Ah, sure don't mind me, I'm just jealous that I can't afford a watch that expensive. If I could I'd probably buy a Patek Phillipe though.:)
    Funny, other than their simple elegant watches(mostly vintage. My oulfella had one of them), I'm not too taken by Patek TBH. I find the new ones a bit high end "eurotrashy" for want of a better word. Beautifully made yes, but a bit bland, a bit too faux old style. Not exactly innovative either, though for all their olde worlde vibe, they were at the forefront of the early quartz research, but were among the first to realise that mechanical made more money and sold off all their R&D. Though they still produce quartz watches for the ladies models. They found that women on that score tended to not buy into the mechanical has soul spiel and they want a watch that just works and looks good.

Rolex? I do like their Submariner(the mil spec one as I don't like mercedes hands), but the originals are mad money, vintage Rolex has a real tulip mania vibe at the mo. I remember seeing them being sold at general auctions(a mate was in the trade) in the early to mid 80's and the only ones that would make any money were the gold ones, the steel ones were dirt cheap. I mean a hundred quid for a job lot cheap. Oh if I had a time machine... Damn well made watches mind you.

Old dive watch? Oh give me an original Blancplain Fifty Fathoms over a vintage Rolex any day of the week(the US navy found them better in tests too, Jacques Cousteau and the French Navy divers the same). Though I'd have to sell a kidney or two for one of them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

I never had a watch until I treated myself to a nice one when I got a good promotion.

Bought a Citizen eco drive perpetual, black leather crocodile strap, never neads a battery and never have to adjust the time.

But most of all it looks brilliant, I always look in shop windows at watches but never see one I would like more than my own.

If I lost it I'd buy the same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

[quote="HamsterFace;94519343") I got a good black leather crocodile strap.[/quote]

Again,a classy,understated style.Looks beautiful I'd bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭mcko

I bought a Rolex in 1998 after getting made redundent, always wanted one and bought it looks as well today as it did then, wear it all day every day, I bought it for me and not to be flash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Wibbs wrote: »
    If it's a quartz its usually down to battery leaking and buggering the movement(actual watchmaking term). If it's a mechanical, windup job, then a cheap service will nearly always get them running again. Seiko are built like tonka toys on the inside(and outside). Daftly robust.

It was a Seiko Automatic my Da bought when he was living in England. He never wore it hence it falling into my hands. Was a little fast for about a year, then it became slow. I remember taking it to that black place on Grafton Street with the Rolex sign out front. They said something about oils drying up and were looking for a fair few quid to get it going again. I might ask my Mum about it or take it back with me.

I got myself a new Seiko Kinetic back in 2010 but it got robbed when junkies broke into my house in Oxford in 2012. Picked myself up the same model again and no problems since.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

It was a Seiko Automatic my Da bought when he was living in England. He never wore it hence it falling into my hands. Was a little fast for about a year, then it became slow. I remember taking it to that black place on Grafton Street with the Rolex sign out front. They said something about oils drying up and were looking for a fair few quid to get it going again. I might ask my Mum about it or take it back with me.

I got myself a new Seiko Kinetic back in 2010 but it got robbed when junkies broke into my house in Oxford in 2012. Picked myself up the same model again and no problems since.

It sounds like it just needs a service. 'The black shop on grafton st' were right, those oils do dry up.
    But there are many better (ie cheaper) places to get a watch serviced. Should be a 100 or 120 euro job. Over on the watch lovers sub forum you will find some recommended places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

A good person with a designer watch is still a nice person. A dick with a nice watch is still a dick.

I would not detract from a nice person enjoying their watch. I could care less about the dicks. It's the dicks that slag off all and sundry anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Casio f91w on a red and black nylon NATO style strap. Less than £1 per year of use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It sounds like it just needs a service. 'The black shop on grafton st' were right, those oils do dry up.
    But there are many better (ie cheaper) places to get a watch serviced. Should be a 100 or 120 euro job. Over on the watch lovers sub forum you will find some recommended places.

I'm in the UK but it might be worth taking it over next time I'm home. If it'd be €120, then it probably wouldn't be worth it given that I got my current one for £120.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

UK eh ACD? then send it to this chap. No better man and incredibly good value and he services vintage watches(and clocks) from all over the globe and some mad flashy ones too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

There are nice watches available without having to spend a fortune.

I have a Rotary and it looks very well. I've been dropping hints to my Mrs about getting me another one...one can hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

UK eh ACD? then send it to this chap. No better man and incredibly good value and he services vintage watches(and clocks) from all over the globe and some mad flashy ones too.
    Watch and timepieces mod! Just saw!

OMG just realized there is WATCH FORUM! And you wibbs.....are ...a ...watcher....

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

I love fine watches. If you take care of them they can be passed down. The nicest watch I have right now is seiko but I never wear it.
    The watch I wear on a regular basis is a baby g by Casio. It fits my lifestyle. Once I reach a certain age I plan on getting a cartier tank watch. They are timeless

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Your Superior

I have an old Patek Phillipe that my father gave me 24 years ago, a Raymond Weil and a £10 sekonda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I have an old Patek Phillipe that my father gave me 24 years ago, a Raymond Weil and a £10 sekonda.

Want to swap the Patek for a PS2 and some Xbox games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Want to swap the Patek for a PS2 and some Xbox games?

I'll raise the bidding to a collection of mint-condition Beano comics and a broken yoyo.

I'm not a materialistic person but someday a Patek Phillipe Grandmaster Chime will be mine. Oh yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I like a nice watch on a man, but ladies watches don't do much for me - too jewelry like most of the time. But a good man's watch can be both seriously functiona and stylish. They are a really nice finishing touch. And even if I didn't notice the watch immediately I'd notice something about the outfit was elevated. Can be very masculine looking, watches.

I don't wear one as I don't think my hands are my best feature. Bit of nail varnish, no rings or anything that draws the eye to my stubby little fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I wear a Sinn U1 divers watch, also own a Zenith and a Glashutte original. Combined value aprox 5k.

TPD wrote: »
    Casio f91w on a red and black nylon NATO style strap. Less than £1 per year of use.

The f91w is cool, wearing one myself now. That said I really want a proper luxury watch some day. Only thing is it wold be a strap rather than braclet as I find bracelets a bit uncomfortable. Something like the watches below would be the type of thing I would love to own.

http://www.trustytagheuer.us/images/aaa-quality-tag-heuer-grand-carrera-replica-watches-in-cheap-price-for-sales.jpg

http://www.breitling.com/en/models/chronomat/chronomat-gmt/

• Advertisement

Very odd recommendation there Wibbs. Have you been there if you don't mind me asking? I might give them a shout if I can find the thing next time I'm home.

H. H. Asquith

Very odd recommendation there Wibbs. Have you been there if you don't mind me asking? I might give them a shout if I can find the thing next time I'm home.
    Oh no I've not been there. He's well known and regarded among vintage watch enthusiasts online and his name has spread that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

13 watches and counting.. so to speak.

Have a tag which I got as an engagement present (well, she got a diamond ring :) ), bought a Ferarri watch on one of their many many sales, have a few Swatch watches and i've been over to the US a few times and Fossil are fantastic value for money so I have a few of them too.

Recently, i'm on the lookout for a Tissot for my work (have to wear suits) so something dressy.

Love them - there aren't many ways blokes can show some individuality but watches are pretty cool to me :)

everlast75 wrote: »
    Love them - there aren't many ways blokes can show some individuality but watches are pretty cool to me :)
    Sums it up for me too EL. Though I can get a tad too "individual" at times. :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

I dont wear a watch but I love them.Love the way they work.Im a lurker on this forum->
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1175

some beautiful watches.Some for stupid money and some not so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I'll never reach the age of 40, so won't have a reason to buy a luxury watch. Ha so there:pac:

I wear a vintage Omega Equinoxe mens watch. It makes my wrists look particularly dainty while having the advantage of being easy to read without my specs on. I despise the toy size of most womens watches. It's a beautiful piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

I never wore a watch until the last few years when I was working in a jewellers, kind of started a collection... 2 Armanis, a Marc Jacobs, a Tag and a Casio.. Love them all! though I wear the casio (€20) all the time but try to wear the Tag as an everyday watch not just good wear. I'd love an automatic Tissot or Citizen though I never really found a Citizen I really loved but theyre always coming out with new ones ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Your Superior

mad m wrote: »
    I'll never reach the age of 40, so won't have a reason to buy a luxury watch. Ha so there:pac:

Wow. You're so mad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Please tell me that is Prop Joe's white cousin.....

Looking at Movado watches for a long time now.
    Havent been wearing watches for years now after all of the fake ones i bought on holidays died.

Time for a real nice one to be worn the rest of my life.

Advertisement