Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designer Watches.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭lau1247

kneemos wrote: »
    So many fakes about does anybody buy Rolex's or the like.
    If I saw one I'd automatically think it was made in China.

To be honest, people thinking that it is a knock off does bother me, less chance of being robbed. As long as i know myself that it is genuine, i like the design and paid a price that i think is fair then all the better i'd say.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I wear a watch most of the time and like to think I collect them - my preference is for manual military or military style chronographs.

My Omega Speedmaster rarely draws a comment, whereas my Chinese 1963 Seagull which cost a fraction of the Speedie gets commented on all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

GobBass wrote: »
    To me, this is the ultimate watch.

Best £19 I ever spent on Amazon.

Nice one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I've no interest in owning watches because I just never wear them, but watching (lol) videos of them being disassembled for repair and reassembled is almost therapeutic. I always knew the mechanics of them were complicated but some of the high end ones are unbelievably complex, watching someone who knows every little thing's place taking them apart is great.

A luxury watch is something I will definitely own at some point. They are beautiful pieces of kit. I wouldn't have any interest in a fake as even if nobody noticed (and plenty would notice the difference) I would know I was wearing something fake.

My preference would be for a Tag Heur or a Breitling. My uncle bought a Breitling a few years ago and all you need to do is hold it and you can feel that's it's the real deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I've no interest in owning watches because I just never wear them, but watching (lol) videos of them being disassembled for repair and reassembled is almost therapeutic. I always knew the mechanics of them were complicated but some of the high end ones are unbelievably complex, watching someone who knows every little thing's place taking them apart is great.

Manicured nails.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I have a pretty nice Tag Heuer that I got whilst in university. I had spent a few years previous to that without one, but I'm not sure I could anymore. There are some situations where checking a phone isn't particularly appropriate - a presentation, a business meeting or even some formal dinners.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't like wearing them. I have a pocket watch, a cheapy but cute one, that I do need to get fixed

Still, I do like the look of the ones by these guys
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XgKYsdR9L._SY300_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I'd like to buy a Tag in the future but I remember hearing that they're hated by some purists because they use Seiko parts and therefore aren't 100% Swiss-made - is that correct? I know that's not something I should care about but if I'm going to drop a few grand on a watch I'd rather it was a well-respected brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Manicured nails.

I'm off to the Isle of Man if I win the lottery!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I've never seen a Rolex that I've actually liked. Can't see the attraction in them, must just be a wa*ker thing with people wanting others to know they're rich, but with a lack of class or taste.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

My first night in Bangkok I got a Tag and a blowie for around 2000b. Still works perfectly 3 years later. I recently got a new battery for it and the guy in the watch shop was impressed with the standard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Tugboats wrote: »
    My first night in Bangkok I got a Tag and a blowie for around 2000b. Still works perfectly 3 years later. I recently got a new battery for it and the guy in the watch shop was impressed with the standard of it.

Fifty quid.A bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Fifty quid.A bargain.

But did the guy who sold him the watch give him a good blowie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I've never seen a Rolex that I've actually liked. Can't see the attraction in them, must just be a wa*ker thing with people wanting others to know they're rich, but with a lack of class or taste.

Most Rolexes aren't that flash at all, look at an Explorer or Perpetual. Even the divers, Sea Dweller for example, are fairly tasteful in my opinion. But they're high quality and maintain their value like little else (most actually go up in value).

If you want something massive and flash with name recognition buy a Breitling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

conorh91 wrote: »
    My parents bought me a nice Longines watch for my 21st. I'd never buy a watch myself.

Nice watch, came with an ugly-ass canvas strap; the man in the shop told my mother so many people complain about the strap, he routinely offers a leather replacement.
    Longines Legend Diver by the sounds of it? Niiiice.
    Incidentally,one high end watchmaker that ive never seen a knockoff of is Raymond Viel
    High end watchmaker and RV really don't belong in the same sentence HB. They're OK, but very overpriced for what they are.
    mailforkev wrote: »
    Real watches should be mechanical in my opinion.
    That's just mid 80's Swiss marketing that changed a chunk of the buying public's(mostly male) perceptions.

The coming of quartz at the start of the 1970's pretty much killed the Swiss industry. They were in the game at the start, but their quartz were high luxury and VERY expensive, usually quadruple the price of even their top end mechanicals(eg the entry level Omega Electroquartz was over six times the price of an Omega Speedmaster). All the top names were involved, including Patek, Omega, Longines, Girard Perregaux, Rolex, though these days they all tend to downplay that. The Japanese and the Americans steadily and pretty rapidly brought the quartz prices down and brought in LED/LCD, add in a bad exchange rate between the Swiss and everyone else and by the late 70's the Swiss were in real trouble. Mechanical watches were "old fashioned". You couldn't give Breitlings, or Heuers away and both went to the wall only to be bought up by other companies. A lot of "luxury" Swiss names that claim centuries of history today are/were shelf companies with no connection to the past.

Anyway the Swiss banded together and came up with the cheap arse Swatch watch and they sold in their squillions. This gave them money to burn and they then pushed the idea of mechanical watches have "soul", because A) they still had all the machinery to make them B) they couldn't compete too well with the Japanese and most of all C) the margins on mechanical watches are much larger than on quartz(and they increase that margin year on year). They can also charge a fortune for servicing so it's win win(and servicing by the big boys is an expensive joke. If they were cars, no way would you buy one).

Basically they convinced a segment of the buying public to reject a more rugged, more reliable, cheaper and far more accurate timekeeper in favour of outdated technology. It was and continues to be one of the greatest marketing coups in history.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You are either a watch person or not.

I'm a woman and wear a Breitling. It's not flash , not big.

I'd come out of a crappy time in my life and was getting back on my feet. Set myself a target that if I saved the five years of Special Savings Accounts (remember them anybody???) that I would buy it for myself ( and save the rest of the SSA)

every time I wear it now, it reminds me of how far I'd come within five years and the value of setting personal goals.

Lots of people notice it too, I once went for a job interview and got the job. Once I started, the interviewer told me they had noticed my lovely watch in the interview.

I don't see the point of fakes to be honest, I'd rather buy a good seiko than a knockoff Omega. I'm the same with handbags, would rather leather M&S than a knockoff Dior or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

wrist watch?

no.

I started wearing pocket watches when I turned 40.

the best one.......

15 jewel
    14K gold huntercased size 18s
    Waltham pocket watch
    Appleton tracey 1883 model
    manufactured 1886

belonged to my great grandfather, and my dad passed it on to me.

and it's ticking like a 129 year old American watch!

Have a 1904 Elgin that still does the business!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I like my watch it's an Oris BC3 - not crazy money but bought it for my self for my 30th - I'm 44 in June and it still looks great. It's an automatic / mechanical and I've had complements in it a few times.

Personally I find the Tags a bit naff and overrated. A nice Rolex Like this

http://m.rolex.com/watches/explorer/m214270-0001.html

would be my choice if money was no object.

Some of the lesser brands do lovely watches as well - not mad money either but top quality - I like some of the

Steinharts

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/

Archimede

http://www.archimede-watches.com

Autran and vialla

http://www.autranviala-watches.com/Collection.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

I wear a Longines Ladies Master Collection watch that my parents bought for me as a graduation present. I love it, quite understated but very classy. It doesn't look like a flashy "designer" watch and tbh I don't care if people know whether it's a "designer" watch or not; I love it and it's something I'll have for decades to come.

Piccy: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SJS79u7OL.jpg

I also have a rake of other watches - GPS watches, sailing watches etc., which are all very useful, but a nice watch is a lovely thing to have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

anewme wrote: »
    I don't see the point of fakes to be honest, I'd rather buy a good seiko than a knockoff Omega.
    +1000 Seiko are fantastic watches and extremely good value for money. They have a century long history, innovations that would beat the crap out of the majority of "big" name Swiss makers and their stuff is built "in house".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1000 Seiko are fantastic watches and extremely good value for money. They have a century long history, innovations that would beat the crap out of the majority of "big" name Swiss makers and their stuff is built "in house".

The Seiko Landmaster is lovely. Would like one of these myself.

Some of the cheaper seiko mechanical watches are lovely as well

http://youtu.be/jjQ5Xv5YIIY

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I've only got a Bigotti. It's nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

anewme wrote: »
    You are either a watch person or not.

I'm a woman and wear a Breitling. It's not flash , not big.

I'd come out of a crappy time in my life and was getting back on my feet. Set myself a target that if I saved the five years of Special Savings Accounts (remember them anybody???) that I would buy it for myself ( and save the rest of the SSA)

every time I wear it now, it reminds me of how far I'd come within five years and the value of setting personal goals.

Lots of people notice it too, I once went for a job interview and got the job. Once I started, the interviewer told me they had noticed my lovely watch in the interview.

I don't see the point of fakes to be honest, I'd rather buy a good seiko than a knockoff Omega. I'm the same with handbags, would rather leather M&S than a knockoff Dior or whatever.

Are you still single? Maybe we can meet, you bring your Breitling and I'll bring my £19 Casio and compare notes. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Wibbs wrote: »

I've owned 2 myself. My Da gave me one when I was younger but he'd let it sit for a few decades so it died sadly. Don't see myself ever switching to a higher "pedigree" as I love their style and have had no worries with the 2 I've owned.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'd like one that shoots lasers,.

Actually maybe not, I'm too impatient and would accidentally zap the bartender/ shopkeeper etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

They don't do a huge amount of variety, but generally I don't think they're OTT at all, with the exception of a few models (or some nasty aftermarket editions that are done by 3rd parties).

My problem with buying a Rolex (finances aside obviously) is really the typical Irish reaction like yours, where the first thought people have is "who does that prick think he is?".

Sure it's an obvious brand to buy if you've made it, but they're also fantastic timepieces in their own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Eoin wrote: »
    They don't do a huge amount of variety, but generally I don't think they're OTT at all, with the exception of a few models (or some nasty aftermarket editions that are done by 3rd parties).

My problem with buying a Rolex (finances aside obviously) is really the typical Irish reaction like yours, where the first thought people have is "who does that prick think he is?".

Sure it's an obvious brand to buy if you've made it, but they're also fantastic timepieces in their own right.

Ah, sure don't mind me, I'm just jealous that I can't afford a watch that expensive. If I could I'd probably buy a Patek Phillipe though.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Ah, sure don't mind me, I'm just jealous that I can't afford a watch that expensive. If I could I'd probably buy a Patek Phillipe though.:)

That would be an excellent choice too. They really are wonderful watches ...but at the price of a small house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Archie Luxury. That is all, fûckers.

Advertisement