Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best fuel for getting the most heat from the fire?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Our apartment has a gas fire. It's extremely convenient. However I do like an open fire. I was skiing in St Anton last month. They had a beautiful open fire in one of the ski lodges. It was lovely to sit in front of the fire, having a glass of hot port, and hearing the crackle of the logs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

My culchie said not to make it all wide :(

I like that one. I want that one.

Just wait for the coal to burn in then spread it out and put more bits of coal on top, just don't entirely cover it, and then put a few logs on from one side to another

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

Well seasoned black oak and black turf if you want heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Too bad turf is weather dependent

Weather dependant my ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Quark-gluon soup

You need the good Swiss stuff, not the lower quality muck.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭BD45

It's far from environmentally friendly. The reason why there has been a ban on harvesting turf in some areas is because it's destroying the natural habit that turf has formed in. The Dutch have been warning us for ages not to do what they did because it completely destroyed the bog habit and they regret it so much. But what do people do, ignore them and continue to illegal harvest turf. It's hardly the most clean or healthy. Turf is turf and is as bad any any other fuel. Why do people have to be putting that putrid smoke, especially in housing estates it's foul, into the environment we really need to move on to better means of heating homes.

You can take my turf from cold dead hands, commie.

mickdw wrote: »
    Weather dependant my ass.

What good is cutting turf if it's wet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You don't cut them when it's wet, you cut them when it's dry. That's time dependent, not weather dependent.

You don't cut them when it's wet, you cut them when it's dry. That's time dependent, not weather dependent.

It was absolutely pissing basically any chance my relatives had to cut. After turf is cut it's stacked to dry on the bog

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Our apartment has a gas fire. It's extremely convenient. However I do like an open fire. I was skiing in St Anton last month. They had a beautiful open fire in one of the ski lodges. It was lovely to sit in front of the fire, having a glass of hot port, and hearing the crackle of the logs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I have an open fire and use a mix of coal and seasoned ash timber, great for the cold nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

it completely destroyed the bog habit

You'll never destroy Backwards Man's bog habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

i AM!

She left me with strict instructions. I'm trying I'm trying.

Is the fire still going, whoops? Between this and the rugby match I'm at the edge of my comfy chair!

Preusse wrote: »
    Is the fire still going, whoops? Between this and the rugby match I'm at the edge of my comfy chair!

Its alright. Not brilliant but not the worst I suppose!

https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/10989367_10153237274850984_8589332103534359203_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Well done! Keep it going! now back to the rugby... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Do you live in Peig Sayer's house?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Timber or a log if you can't get turf?

Do you live in Peig Sayer's house?!

I wish I did, then I'd have turf and proper coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Preusse wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't let it go out. Feed it. FEED IT! :eek:

My cousin used to live with a Spanish lad. one night she was headin away for an hour or two and she says to yer man "watch the fire", he says "que?" and she says "keep an eye on it."
    Arrives home a while later to see yer man sat as close to the fire as he could get and he says "I've been looking but nothing happened!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Solid fuel central heating using antracite. Whole house warm for the same price as keeping one room warm using an open fire. Only drawback is that OFCH is needed too in the morning if you want to be warm before the range is lit. The combination of the two is the perfect heating system in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You cut turf in its wet state. It dries over a number of weeks when handled properly.
    There has not been a summer yet when turf could not be got so it cannot be deemed weather dependant.
    Sure the commercial harvesters would have good or bad years depending on the weather but as far as saving turf for a household, it will dry, good year or bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The lazy rat

1 bag of Polish coal delivered to the coal bunker=17euro

1 bag of English coal collected from the yard in the boot of the car half a km away=10.90euro.

No more deliveries for me thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Anyone who puts dirty foreign coal in their fire deserves to be fcuked down the nearest shaft.....

What about Irish coal?

Of which I am told there is shítloads, but its just cheaper to import the stuff from Poland.

Apparently we have plenty of coal mines here but our feral youth are just too damn lazy to get themselves down the pits and do a hard days graft.

We could have dozens of huge coal fired power stations here burning Irish coal and making Irish ESB which we could be selling to places like Wales.

But no, our youth would rather be hanging around street corners smoking drugs and spending the taxpayers money on cheap booze and the like.

And all the while our bogs are being destroyed and the squirrels are being made homeless and nature is being ruined because of all the cheap imported coal.

Bloody Polish coal putting our youth out of work.

It's outrageous . :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

You remove the fire guard sit close ...with your loved one and snuggle!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Or better still, have your loved one remove the fireguard and get them to throw a few more sods on the fire and then bring you another cup of tay. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Throw petrol on it.

Update:

Due to a slight over indulgence of guinness and whiskey last night I fell asleep on the sofa. Fortunately, I woke up just in time to save the fire.

Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I can't light a fire to save my life :o

I buy a fire pack, then top it up with coal, and even at that it ends up failing miserably.

I'd love to be able to have a big fire on the go all day but doesn't happen.

I have a theory Whoops. I saw the pic of your fireplace ( lovely) and I think the problem is simply that the fireplace is too big for the size of fire you are putting on. I'm not very good at explaining the physics but imagine you have a little pile of sticks like matchsticks and you put them in a little can and light them. If you keep adding more to the littlr fire, each mstch stick will burn fully til its all black and can't burn anymore. Also, the can will be hot.
    Now, do the same thing with the little pile of sticks but this time in a big toasting tin. The sticks will probably only hslf burn before going out,or will burn fully but only with help. This is because there's too much air ,so there's flame but its burning too fast to geta hold on the sticks. Also,the tin won't be hot as the heat generated was too little and too far away.
    Anyway,something like that. You need a smaller fireplace or a bigger fire.
    I'm sure I'm right but I'm not 100% sure why I'm right.
    :-) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wish I did, then I'd have turf and proper coal.

True, but Peig had terrible wi-fi.

• Advertisement

fineso.mom wrote: »
    I have a theory Whoops. I saw the pic of your fireplace ( lovely) and I think the problem is simply that the fireplace is too big for the size of fire you are putting on.
    :-) :-)

I normally make the fire wider but my culchie said to start it off small and then build it from there, so it ended up the full width of the grate.

Seemed to work. My first successful all day fire built without a fire pack \o/

Advertisement