Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best fuel for getting the most heat from the fire?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Tyres and pallets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Central Heating FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Good polish coal is best,those anthracite nuggets that bord na mona sell in 20kg bags is absolutely sh1te,in terms of both heat output and cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Try this combination.

Hydrogen
    Helium
    Oxygen
    Carbon
    Nitrogen
    Silicon
    Magnesium
    Neon
    Iron
    Sulfur

You will need to compress it with a very strong gravitational field.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I can't light a fire to save my life :o

I buy a fire pack, then top it up with coal, and even at that it ends up failing miserably.

I'd love to be able to have a big fire on the go all day but doesn't happen.

If your having trouble just put a good bit of kindling on top of the grate then throw a bucket of coal over it. Put a big firelighter under the grate and light it. You'll have a great fire in about 5 minutes, It's foolproof.

It's criminal overuse of firelighters but they are cheap as chips anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Flags are usually good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Lynx Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I can't light a fire to save my life :o

I buy a fire pack, then top it up with coal, and even at that it ends up failing miserably.

I'd love to be able to have a big fire on the go all day but doesn't happen.

A decent fire wont get going properly unless there is a decent flow of air coming up from underneath,give the hearth and grate a good clean,have another crack at it and you'll be soon toasting your toes :)

Ps:I'm not suggesting for a second you keep a dirty house,im sure your gaf is lovely whoops

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I fear the wrath of our resident turf expert so I'm going to say turf. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Some Quality polish coal is your man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Halogen heater keeping me toasty.

I had a 3000w one that was expensive to run and yet put out little heat but then bought one which was only 1000w and it heats the room more. Sometimes the design of something is just as important as it's advertised output. I think peoople assume that the higher kw, the warmer it will keep their room which is not necessarily the case.

Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This all reminds me of that bit in a Father Ted episode when Fr Purcell ” the most boring priest in the world” was telling Fr Jack about how ….

“…we run the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas and we save 200 a year! But then a few weeks later – God, I’ll never forget it, now – we got a new boiler.
    Ted : ” All right, Fathers?”
    Jack ” – HELP ME! ”
    Fr Purcell “Hello, Ted.- I was telling Father Jack about the thing there last year.”
    Ted “- How did you fare with yours? ”
    Fr Purcell “- I don’t know Because you know, they have no morals and no respect for human life. But what they do have, and no one can deny this, they have the finest collection of boilers in the world.
    And I include Canada in that.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭BD45

Coal gives the most heat. I love the smell of a turf fire but find it doesn't give a lot of heat.

A decent fire wont get going properly unless there is a decent flow of air coming up from underneath,give the hearth and grate a good clean,have another crack at it and you'll be soon toasting your toes :)

Ps:I'm not suggesting for a second you keep a dirty house,im sure your gaf is lovely whoops

My hearth is spotless I'll have you know :P

I'll try building one today and let ye know how I get on. I'm sure you'll all be on the edge of your seats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I have one of those pesky gas fires. Keep meaning to get it replaced with a multi fuel burning stove but everytime I get the money together for it I seem to spend it on holidays or some other essential.
    Am jealous reading thru this thread. I could kill for that smell of burning turf!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭amber69

Try this combination.

Hydrogen
    Helium
    Oxygen
    Carbon
    Nitrogen
    Silicon
    Magnesium
    Neon
    Iron
    Sulfur

You will need to compress it with a very strong gravitational field.

Where might I get one of these fields and are they sold by the yard or acre. Think I can get the rest in aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Murt10

I remember years ago a consignment of green coal came in.

Hottest stuff ever. Burnt the hell out of the fireplace and grate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

The fuel is only a small part of the problem..... a garage onto the house is a big heat waster. Double glazing windows, insulating the roof attic and walls all helps. I think a Stanley were great stove in comparison to open fires (70% loss up the flue). Electric bar heaters are a dead loss in terms of retaining heat, storage heaters fare better.

Coal and anthricate are great fuels along with Irish Ash. Dead losses are turf and paper brickettes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The sheet here http://www.seai.ie/Publications/Statistics_Publications/Fuel_Cost_Comparison/Domestic-Fuel-Cost-Comparisons.pdf

Has all the info on the energy content of fueks used in domestic fires

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Anyone who puts dirty foreign coal in their fire deserves to be fcuked down the nearest shaft. We have the cleanest, warmest, cheapest, healthiest, most environmentally friendly way of heating our homes right under our feet.

You're reduced to burning the floorboards like me, right?

• Advertisement

I had a culchie here who showed me where to put things. So my non fire pack fire is getting going.

My culchie has now gone and has left me to fend for the fire myself so it could still all end in a pile of warm ashes before dinner.

11024662_10153237022555984_3160656964342080570_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I had a culchie here who showed me where to put things. So my non fire pack fire is getting going.

My culchie has now gone and has left me to fend for the fire myself so it could still all end in a pile of warm ashes before dinner.

Looks like you'll need to employ a stoker, you'll get more heat out of one of them candles than out of that wee thing.:p

Looks like you'll need to employ a stoker, you'll get more heat out of one of them candles than out of that wee thing.:p

My culchie says it will definitely get bigger. So she did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

It would use some amount of coal but if mine was that wide I'd get a bigger grate that goes almost wall to wall and build up a massive fire like this the whole width across, probably wouldn't even be able to go near it with how hot it'd be

open-fire1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Anyone who puts dirty foreign coal in their fire deserves to be fcuked down the nearest shaft. We have the cleanest, warmest, cheapest, healthiest, most environmentally friendly way of heating our homes right under our feet.

If schools spent more time taking kids to the bog to save turf and less time teaching redundant things such as algebra and art, the country would be in a much better place.
    It's far from environmentally friendly. The reason why there has been a ban on harvesting turf in some areas is because it's destroying the natural habit that turf has formed in. The Dutch have been warning us for ages not to do what they did because it completely destroyed the bog habit and they regret it so much. But what do people do, ignore them and continue to illegal harvest turf. It's hardly the most clean or healthy. Turf is turf and is as bad any any other fuel. Why do people have to be putting that putrid smoke, especially in housing estates it's foul, into the environment we really need to move on to better means of heating homes.

It would use some amount of coal but if mine was that wide I'd get a bigger grate that goes almost wall to wall and build up a massive fire like this the whole width across, probably wouldn't even be able to go near it with how hot it'd be

open-fire1.jpg

My culchie said not to make it all wide :(

I like that one. I want that one.

My culchie says it will definitely get bigger. So she did.
    Looking at it won't make it bigger, you have to be working at it all the time to keep it up.

Looking at it won't make it bigger, you have to be working at it all the time to keep it up.

i AM!

She left me with strict instructions. I'm trying I'm trying.

It's far from environmentally friendly. The reason why there has been a ban on harvesting turf in some areas is because it's destroying the natural habit that turf has formed in. The Dutch have been warning us for ages not to do what they did because it completely destroyed the bog habit and they regret it so much. But what do people do, ignore them and continue to illegal harvest turf. It's hardly the most clean or healthy. Turf is turf and is as bad any any other fuel. Why do people have to be putting that putrid smoke, especially in housing estates it's foul, into the environment we really need to move on to better means of heating homes.
    You're talking about raised bogs, I'm talking about blanket bogs with proper turf that do no harm to the environment. You want to see the smiles on the grouse's faces as they wander about the flowering heather in the binkhole with their wains in tow, not a wet foot among them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

i AM!

She left me with strict instructions. I'm trying I'm trying.

Whatever you do, don't let it go out. Feed it. FEED IT! :eek:

Advertisement