Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diets don't work!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

RonanP77 wrote:
    How do I get an idea of my body fat %? I think mine is still fairly high and I need to lower it.

Moat methods are very inaccurate without paying a decent chunk.

If it's fairly high and you know you need to lower it does it matter what the number is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Blacktie. wrote:
    Moat methods are very inaccurate without paying a decent chunk.

Blacktie. wrote:
    If it's fairly high and you know you need to lower it does it matter what the number is?

I googled ways of checking it and I reckon it's around 20% so I need to drop that considerably, I'd like it to be 12% or there abouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

What about the whole low fat con that is prevalent at the moment? I really wish there was an education drive on the benefits and necessity of fat. Your body needs fat - at least 20%-30% of your daily input should be fat. The idea of removing fat from foods and loading it with sugar is a time bomb. My other half is doing weight watchers and some of the muck she buys is unbelievably high in sugar content. She showed me a sample menu she got from her meeting, I got to day 3 before I gave up but there wasn't one mention of fat - plenty of WW bars, low-fat cheese, low-fat yoghurt but no fat.

These type of low fat diets have the potential to cause even worse diabetes related illnesses while dramatically reducing your fat intake. Which, in turn inhibits your body's ability to ingest/absorb vital vitamins and nutrients.

If we should be ranting, lets rant at anything low fat related. For weight reduction there is one simple formula (as we all know) - calories in V calories out. So lets try and inform people of the best way to achieve this in a balanced manner. Weight Watchers, to me, is a fad as there is too much emphasis on removing a food type.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

I would be of the same belief as you regarding fats - I think they are a fantastic source of nutrition (barring trans fats).. I wouldn't believe weight gain or weight loss is as simple as calories in versus calories out though. I think insulin is a key driver as the release of insulin is related to fat storage and fat burning.. thus a diet that keeps insulin levels chronically high such as one consisting of starches and sugars is more likely to promote fat storage than a diet that keeps insulin levels low, even if the calories of both diets are equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Regardless of whether diets work or not, I'm learning some valuable stuff on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭crestglan

You think if you are silly enough to spend money on weight watchers or any other diet group that they give you all the information you need to carry on losing weight at home I don't understand how people can spend months going to weight watchers meetings and each week lose weight but when their program is over they start gaining the weight again surly you have all the info you need to carry on on your own

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

crestglan wrote: »
    You think if you are silly enough to spend money on weight watchers or any other diet group that they give you all the information you need to carry on losing weight at home I don't understand how people can spend months going to weight watchers meetings and each week lose weight but when their program is over they start gaining the weight again surly you have all the info you need to carry on on your own

The benefit of weights watchers and other slimming groups is nothing to do with the info they give out. It's mostly down to the accountability created by a weekly check-in with somebody.
    Stop going, and that accountability is gone, so it creeps back in.

Advertisement