Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children need to be ‘protected’ from religion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

It never ceases to amaze me how there are otherwise sensible adults out there who believe that once upon a time there was a BANG and Hey Presto! life began.
    it IS a little more complex then that you do realise

most people dont understand how the internal combustion engine works either, however it doesn't mean that they believe its by " magic" ( religion is magic )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I agree. Children DO need to be ‘protected’ from religion. Religion is a load of bullsh*t. If all children were brought up in reality, i.e. Son you are an ape. You are an animal like every other; therefor you are fragile and could die at any time. It's a rough world out there, but you can make it great for yourself. There is no heaven child, so work hard, eat well, live well and be happy. The world is there for you.

Instead of.

You're sh*t doesn't stink. If this life doesn't work out - it's OK because your going to heaven. The world isn't your oyster. Don't think this, don't think that. This is wrong, that is wrong. Judge. Judge. Judge. Hell. Demons. Heaven. Shame. Sins. You are a sinner.

I remember confessions as a child. I could never get it. You know, the only lies I ever told as a child were the ones to the priest during confessions. I remember worrying to my teachers and parents, saying but I haven't sinned, why do I have to tell this man my sins? I ended up telling him, I did this or I did that - none of it was true of course. Why the f*** is cool to insist on a young impressionable mind that they are a sinner?

Bastards.

Children need to be taught religion at school. It is a right of passage. Those that come out the far side belong in one of two camps. Those that cop on that it is absolute horse manure and those that... well they don't really matter.

When my daughter was preparing for first holy communion I was brought before her school principal to be told that she was holding court in the school yard telling everyone that there was no such thing as god, that we were all descendents of apes, saying 'particularly you' to one guy. Never found out who that was. Me bursting out laughing was not the reaction the principal expected. I told the principal I would get her to make her communion (yeah, I know, hypocrite, but I did not want her to be the only one to be left out of a 'big day') by promising a big party, bouncy castle, presents etc and she did. Confirmation next year, not sure how that is going to pan out.

Currently, she is a very caring little girl, shows great concern for others in bother, cannot understand homophobia and that is down to her upbringing, not some rubbish in an old book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Mr. Remote Control

Where are you getting 6000 years from?
    Have you ever studied Theology? Religion makes perfect sense to anyone who has. But hey, if the lazy 'it all started with a big bang way back( or so I'm told by some clever professor type guy's) is how you see life then fine, enjoy.

I don't need to study theology, which I assume you have done. Does the bible not say the earth is 6000 years old? I was pretty sure it did. If it doesn't then my bad. How old is the earth then?

I'm an ape. My sh*t stinks. I share 50% of my DNA with a banana. My closest non-human cousin is the bonobo. That isn't my opinion. That's a fact.

And it's not 'it all started with a big bang way back', it's 'It all started with a big bang 13,800,000,000 years ago'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I'm an ape. My sh*t stinks. I share 50% of my DNA with a banana..

Whoa!, steady on. I believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

galljga1 wrote: »
    Children need to be taught religion at school. It is a right of passage. Those that come out the far side belong in one of two camps. Those that cop on that it is absolute horse manure and those that... well they don't really matter.

When my daughter was preparing for first holy communion I was brought before her school principal to be told that she was holding court in the school yard telling everyone that there was no such thing as god, that we were all descendents of apes, saying 'particularly you' to one guy. Never found out who that was. Me bursting out laughing was not the reaction the principal expected. I told the principal I would get her to make her communion (yeah, I know, hypocrite, but I did not want her to be the only one to be left out of a 'big day') by promising a big party, bouncy castle, presents etc and she did. Confirmation next year, not sure how that is going to pan out.

Currently, she is a very caring little girl, shows great concern for others in bother, cannot understand homophobia and that is down to her upbringing, not some rubbish in an old book.

I dont have a problem with them being taught or exposed to religion, what children need to be protected from is baptism and conferring and the like when they are too young to understand anything.

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    I dont have a problem with them being taught or exposed to religion, what children need to be protected from is baptism and conferring and the like when they are too young to understand anything.

Can't argue with you. As long as it is done for the right reasons: party, loads of money etc.

galljga1 wrote: »

I can't understand why so many atheist parents make such a big deal about rearing children, or why they seem to go out of their way to find 'issues' or confrontations that affect their kids at school.Most kids go through school totally chilled out and religion or religious events don't bother them one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I can't understand why so many atheist parents make such a big deal about rearing children, or why they seem to go out of their way to find 'issues' or confrontations that affect their kids at school.Most kids go through school totally chilled out and religion or religious events don't bother them one way or the other.

Its like religious people going to an atheist forum and then complaining when its full of atheists.

You would be amazed how often it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Why would you want your kids to knuckle under just to fit in? Its a good life lesson to see that adults can be idiots as well and not to take everything at face value.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Not sure how you get that out of my post.

Rearing children is a big deal.

Because i do not subscribe to a particular belief system, I am an atheist? I also do not have much time for the writings of L. Ron Hubbard, the whole Xenu thing being ever so slightly far fetched.

I actually go out of my way to ensure 'issues' do not affect my kids, hence my daughter made her communion even though I personally think it is nonsensical. I do not go to church but I never bad mouth it or praise it in front of my kids. They make up their own minds.

On the last point, religion does affect my daughter as she watches the news, listens to more than just music on the radio, reads avidly, factual books, newspapers and questions why so many atrocities are carried out in the name of various religions. I can only point out to her that most people on this beautiful little planet of ours are good and that a very small minority abuse their positions to carry out evil acts and that they would most likely be doing similar regardless of their religion.

• Advertisement

Its like religious people going to an atheist forum and then complaining when its full of atheists.

You would be amazed how often it happens.

You're missing the point. Why do ye get so worked up and why do ye get the kids involved and concerned about something that other kids could'nt give two hoots about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

You're missing the point. Why do ye get so worked up and why do ye get the kids involved and concerned about something that other kids could'nt give two hoots about?

I have no idea, some people for whatever reason what their children to have a religious education but cant be assed to do it themselves. The kids do care a little, they get lots of money for doing communions and confirmations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Religious bodies educated children in this country despite unbelieveable persecution from Dawkins and Krauss's ancestors.

Post reported for trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Point is that persucution of those with religious beliefs is part of the makeup of Dawkins and Krauss.

What's with the libel?
    It wasn't once upon a time, it was 13.8 billion years ago. But hey, if your book tells you it was 6000 years ago then fair enough. I have a little ammonite in my hand here that's older than that. In fact it's about 150 million years old.

There are cities mentioned in the bible which are verifiably older than the date the same book gives for the creation of the universe. But then again, that's the level religion works as, so stupid it proves itself wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

It never ceases to amaze me how there are otherwise sensible adults out there who believe that once upon a time there was a BANG and Hey Presto! life began.

Of course most sensible adults believe there was a BANG and then life began, many have experienced the BANG multiple times themsleves.

Where else do babies come from? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Not that simple but I am sure you already knew that.

http://www.hawking.org.uk/the-origin-of-the-universe.html

This guy, Stephen Hawking, did a lecture on it.

Now, I am sure that you are much smarter than this Hawking guy but I am just leaving it here for you to read anyways. Though it's probably like reading an high school kids failed Astronomy essay to your massive intellect.

Or what about these clowns at CERN (Clowns, Eejits and Real Nerds) who seem to think the same thing, that there was a Big Bang?

http://home.web.cern.ch/about/physics/early-universe

You should send them your CV, just put "an actual sensible adult" on there. Seems they would give you a job because these CERN folks have been getting it wrong since 1954!

Whoa!, steady on. I believe you.

I know you believe me, that's because it's true. Sometimes it doesn't stink though; which is great - but what about the two questions that were also in that post?

Does the bible not say the earth is 6000 years old?

How old is the earth then?

Obviously you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but if you're going to question where I got my 6000 years from, then at least correct me - I will listen. You've studied theology, educate me.

It wasn't once upon a time, it was 13.8 billion years ago. But hey, if your book tells you it was 6000 years ago then fair enough. I have a little ammonite in my hand here that's older than that. In fact it's about 150 million years old.

Now that just cant be true as this earth is in fact 6000 years old, I have heard that too, think I got that from some American creationist crap on youtube so it must be true. If you said you had a little Mennonite in your hand, that might be believable as they are around since the 16th century.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

You've studied theology, educate me.
    I don't quite see how the second part of that sentence follows from the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Although you'd think a 'student' of theology would have heard of Archbishop Ussher.
    Ussher deduced that the first day of creation began at nightfall on Saturday, October 22, 4004 BC, in the proleptic Julian calendar, near the autumnal equinox. He elsewhere dates the time to 6 pm.

Just in time for tea.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    it IS a little more complex then that you do realise

most people dont understand how the internal combustion engine works either, however it doesn't mean that they believe its by " magic" ( religion is magic )

The difference is that a considerable number of people know exactly how an engine works and it makes perfect sense to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

The difference is that a considerable number of people know exactly how an engine works and it makes perfect sense to them.

And a considerable number of people understand how the "Big Bang" would have worked.

Dammit, how can something that makes sense to a 10 year old be so difficult to grasp?

Or are you intentionally refusing to understand it?

OH!! MY!!! GOD!!

Advertisement