Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children need to be ‘protected’ from religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's a nonsense

Who says they are "trusted"? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

The Government must trust them, or they wouldn't be allowed to operate would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Nomis21 wrote: »
    The Government must trust them, or they wouldn't be allowed to operate would they?
    Everyone trusts them, don't they? The Church has never given anyone a reason not to trust them, surely?
    On the other hand maybe the Church isn't (still?) trusted with Education.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DavidRamsay99

If those three girls who ran off to join ISIS had been protected from religion perhaps they wouldn't be doomed to being passed around like meat and gangraped? If they snap out of their trance and try to escape they will probably be beheaded and chopped to pieces or burned alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If those three girls who ran off to join ISIS had been protected from religion perhaps they wouldn't be doomed to being passed around like meat and gangraped? If they snap out of their trance and try to escape they will probably be beheaded and chopped to pieces or burned alive.

Can't resist :)
    Were is your link to support your claim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Absolam wrote: »
    Everyone trusts them, don't they? The Church has never given anyone a reason not to trust them, surely?
    On the other hand maybe the Church isn't (still?) trusted with Education.

I hope you're being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

Nomis21 wrote: »

I think you missed his point.

Dawkins and Krauss want children protected from Religion, not any church or church run institutions.

They believe that exposure to religious ideas are poisonous to a child's healthy development

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

MaxWig wrote: »
    I think you missed his point.

Dawkins and Krauss want children protected from Religion, not any church or church run institutions.

They believe that exposure to religious ideas are poisonous to a child's healthy development

Religious bodies educated children in this country despite unbelieveable persecution from Dawkins and Krauss's ancestors.

Religious bodies educated children in this country despite unbelieveable persecution from Dawkins and Krauss's ancestors.

Not being funny, but now I've missed your point.

Not being funny, but now I've missed your point.

Point is that persucution of those with religious beliefs is part of the makeup of Dawkins and Krauss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dawkins and Krauss want children protected from Religion, not any church or church run institutions. They believe that exposure to religious ideas are poisonous to a child's healthy development
    A common misconception which Dawkins has attempted to correct many, many times.

Dawkins is very happy to have religious stories told to children as stories - whether they're christian stories, or stories about Thor, Zeus and the rest. He, and I think most posters here, do not want religious stories presented as if they were true.

Point is that persucution of those with religious beliefs is part of the makeup of Dawkins and Krauss.

Oh, agreed. Kinda.

Not sure I'd call it persecution, but they seem intent on repeating themselves alright

robindch wrote: »

Dawkins is very happy to have religious stories told to children as stories - whether they're christian stories, or stories about Thor, Zeus and the rest. He, and I think most posters here, do not want religious stories presented as if they were true.

Right. So 'religious ideas' was the correct way to phrase it then?

Not being funny, but now I've missed your point..
    Dawkins speaks with an English accent. Therefore, Dawkins commenting on the control of Irish schools by the Vatican is "persecution".

As bit like the Irish Water protesters protesting at 50c per day based upon consumption rather than general taxation, one can only wonder what would happen if people who refer to legitimate comment as "persecution" were actually subjected to real persecution.

Right. So 'religious ideas' was the correct way to phrase it then?
    Religious ideas are contained within religious stories.

Religious ideas are contained within religious stories.

And Religious stories are contained within religious ideas.

Semantics?

:)

Dawkins speaks with an English accent. Therefore, Dawkins commenting on the control of Irish schools by the Vatican is "persecution".

As bit like the Irish Water protesters protesting at 50c per day based upon consumption rather than general taxation, one can only wonder what would happen if people who refer to legitimate comment as "persecution" were actually subjected to real persecution.

What are you on about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Mr. Remote Control

I agree. Children DO need to be ‘protected’ from religion. Religion is a load of bullsh*t. If all children were brought up in reality, i.e. Son you are an ape. You are an animal like every other; therefor you are fragile and could die at any time. It's a rough world out there, but you can make it great for yourself. There is no heaven child, so work hard, eat well, live well and be happy. The world is there for you.

Instead of.

You're sh*t doesn't stink. If this life doesn't work out - it's OK because your going to heaven. The world isn't your oyster. Don't think this, don't think that. This is wrong, that is wrong. Judge. Judge. Judge. Hell. Demons. Heaven. Shame. Sins. You are a sinner.

I remember confessions as a child. I could never get it. You know, the only lies I ever told as a child were the ones to the priest during confessions. I remember worrying to my teachers and parents, saying but I haven't sinned, why do I have to tell this man my sins? I ended up telling him, I did this or I did that - none of it was true of course. Why the f*** is cool to insist on a young impressionable mind that they are a sinner?

Bastards.

What are you on about?
    I'm explaining your nonsensical logic.

I'm explaining your nonsensical logic.

You're talking rubbish you mean.And why have you a problem with anyone with an English accent?
    Are you racist as well as an atheist?

• Advertisement

Are you racist as well as an atheist?

haha

I agree. Children DO need to be ‘protected’ from religion. Religion is a load of bullsh*t. If all children were brought up in reality, i.e. Son you are an ape. You are an animal like every other; therefor you are fragile and could die at any time. It's a rough world out there, but you can make it great for yourself. There is no heaven child, so work hard, eat well, live well and be happy. The world is there for you.

Instead of.

You're sh*t doesn't stink. If this life doesn't work out - it's OK because your going to heaven. The world isn't your oyster. Don't think this, don't think that. This is wrong, that is wrong. Judge. Judge. Judge. Hell. Demons. Heaven. Shame. Sins. You are a sinner.

I remember confessions as a child. I could never get it. You know, the only lies I ever told as a child were the ones to the priest during confessions. I remember worrying to my teachers and parents, saying but I haven't sinned, why do I have to tell this man my sins? I ended up telling him, I did this or I did that - none of it was true of course. Why the f*** is cool to insist on a young impressionable mind that they are a sinner?

Bastards.

It never ceases to amaze me how there are otherwise sensible adults out there who believe that once upon a time there was a BANG and Hey Presto! life began.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It never ceases to amaze me how there are otherwise sensible adults out there who believe that once upon a time there was a BANG and Hey Presto! life began.
    It never ceases to amaze me that people don't realise it is a pure accident of birth that they are one religion and not another. It never ceases to amaze me that adults can sincerely believe they've plumped on the one 'proper' way to worship whatever god or gods they worship, out of the millions of other gods they could be pleasing. And it never ceases to amaze me that so many cultural catholics pick out the bits of the bible and rituals they like and skim over the nasty bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Thankfully creationists are a minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Now you are knocking Thor and Zeus... Where is this going to end?

It wasn't once upon a time, it was 13.8 billion years ago. But hey, if your book tells you it was 6000 years ago then fair enough. I have a little ammonite in my hand here that's older than that. In fact it's about 150 million years old.

And it wasn't just a BANG! It was a BIG!!! BANG!

Pchooowoooow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

And it wasn't just a BANG! It was a BIG!!! BANG!

Pchooowoooow!!!

Then it wasn't so much a Hey Presto! as a 'after billions of years'.

It wasn't once upon a time, it was 13.8 billion years ago. But hey, if your book tells you it was 6000 years ago then fair enough. I have a little ammonite in my hand here that's older than that. In fact it's about 150 million years old.

Where are you getting 6000 years from?
    Have you ever studied Theology? Religion makes perfect sense to anyone who has. But hey, if the lazy 'it all started with a big bang way back( or so I'm told by some clever professor type guy's) is how you see life then fine, enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

the religious bodies maintained instruction of children so as to ensure indoctrination not education

In the 18th century of course they become part of the educational establishment, ( see maynooth etc) and become actually very established as " official " educators well before the founding of the state

( see when irish was introduced in teaching into the school system , at it was not after 1922 !!)

Certainly the catholic religion suffered bouts of persecution for they religion at times , as teachers they didn't though

Advertisement