Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog sh1te & angry letters.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Any update?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

steve610 wrote: »
    What would you do?

Take a video, find out who they are, feed it to their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I would have thought the best way to sort this out would be to call the council yourself and advise there is an amount of litter in this space - see if they can sort that out.
    That's really what the person who sent you the letter should have done in the first instance to be honest.
    If the council sort it out, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

kippy wrote: »
    I would have thought the best way to sort this out would be to call the council yourself and advise there is an amount of litter in this space - see if they can sort that out.
    That's really what the person who sent you the letter should have done in the first instance to be honest.
    If the council sort it out, problem solved.
    How does that address the issue of psychodogshytneighbour? Iirc, the rubbish isn't the op's issue.

endacl wrote: »
    How does that address the issue of psychodogshytneighbour? Iirc, the rubbish isn't the op's issue.

The problem arose from litter in the alleyway.
    Get rid of the litter, sort out the problem.

The kind of thinking shown here (first by the person writing the letter etc) and now by the OP themselves is what leads to bad neighbours/disputes and something that is very difficult to sort out.
    Someone ring the council - even anonymously, get the issue sorted in the first instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The problem arose from litter in the alleyway.
    Get rid of the litter, sort out the problem.

The kind of thinking shown here (first by the person writing the letter etc) and now by the OP themselves is what leads to bad neighbours/disputes and something that is very difficult to sort out.
    Someone ring the council - even anonymously, get the issue sorted in the first instance.

Then why didn't the person with the problem call the council? Could have avoided this entire saga altogether if the "good neighbour" had just stopped and thought to themselves, "what I can I do to resolve this to my satistisfaction without being a complete cvnt?". The correct answer for those who are unsure is not "Oo!!! I know!! I'll conduct an anonymous letter writing campaign followed up with smearing dog**** everywhere".

Lemming wrote: »
    Then why didn't the person with the problem call the council? Could have avoided this entire saga altogether if the "good neighbour" had just stopped and thought to themselves, "what I can I do to resolve this to my satistisfaction without being a complete cvnt?". The correct answer for those who are unsure is not "Oo!!! I know!! I'll conduct an anonymous letter writing campaign followed up with smearing dog**** everywhere".
    As I said,
    in the first instance that person should have called the council themselves.
    They didn't and the issue has escalated.
    It will only escalate further if paths being discussed here are followed leading to worse relations and a situation that is not nice to be in the middle of.

Someonce call the council, sort out the root cause of the issue and see what happens from there.

(Not condoning the behaviour or intelligence of the person sending the letter etc)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Catch them in the act with a camera and give it to the gardai, god only knows what else they'd be up to further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

"Dear rubbish lover" - this is too funny.

Everyone has given good advice already - record person in the act, call garda, let council know about the rubbish.

Some sort of revenge may be tempting but it's not going to be good for anyone in the end.

It will only escalate further if paths being discussed here are followed leading to worse relations and a situation that is not nice to be in the middle of.
    Except if the user does cause the alleyway to clear up now, and further down the line, someone dumps rubbish, the OP will probably have to jump through the hoops to sort it.

Unless, of course, the litter belongs to the scumbag dropping off the poop.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Except if the user does cause the alleyway to clear up now, and further down the line, someone dumps rubbish, the OP will probably have to jump through the hoops to sort it.

Unless, of course, the litter belongs to the scumbag dropping off the poop.

If making a phone call is what you call "jumping through hoops" there ain't much hope for society.

If someone down the line dumps rubbish and this results in a similar situation perhaps making another phone call may resolve it.

I only know the facts as they are being presented here and I know that making a phone call is a lot easier that trying to resolve issues here if they escalate any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Set up the camera, ring the council about the rubbish in the lane, check video footage for the phantom sh*tter, ring back the council and have them fine whoever's doing it.

Win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

The lane residents or whoever have put up a gate, locked and private with a common key I presume. Would the council entertain coming onto non-public land like this to clear up somebody's discarded junk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

They do. But the owners will probably have to pay.

If making a phone call is what you call "jumping through hoops" there ain't much hope for society.
    Ring the CC. Ring them again in a week, and find out that there is no record of the other call. Get this persons name, and a reference number. Ring again in a week. Find out that no-one of that name works there. Ring a local TD, who will do this favour for you. Find out that CC can't access the laneway. Go door to door to see who has a key to allow the CC access to clean the laneway.

I call it hoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Ging Ging wrote: »
    The lane residents or whoever have put up a gate, locked and private with a common key I presume. Would the council entertain coming onto non-public land like this to clear up somebody's discarded junk?

If its locked and a communial key is used to open gate then council wont go near it. Ive a lane way out my back, it was taken over by the council in the 80's, we asked could we put up a gate but they said its a right of way. Council said the lane way was made a right of way or something like that. We found out a laneway needs to have an exit and entrance at either end to have it classed as a right of way. Ours has one way in and one way out so go figure.

Its a nightmare to get them up to clean laneway at back of our houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭mrbrianj

If someone down the line dumps rubbish and this results in a similar situation perhaps making another phone call may resolve it.

I only know the facts as they are being presented here and I know that making a phone call is a lot easier that trying to resolve issues here if they escalate any further.

Kippy, if by putting Sh1t on an other persons doorway gets a desired result there IS no hope for society.

The problem is not the rubbish dumped in a laneway - its the mad person carry out the intimidation - get that sorted first!

Where is the satisfaction in letting the person spreading dog sh*t get away with it and also leave them thinking it was the op's fault the rubbish is there.

No way would I arrange to have it taken away, it's basically admitting guilt and letting the person doing it know that their tactics work and they may try it for other issues. If it was me finding out who it is and either confronting them or getting the guards to pay them a visit would be my course of action without doubt.

Where is the satisfaction in letting the person spreading dog sh*t get away with it and also leave them thinking it was the op's fault the rubbish is there.

No way would I arrange to have it taken away, it's basically admitting guilt and letting the person doing it know that their tactics work and they may try it for other issues. If it was me finding out who it is and either confronting them or getting the guards to pay them a visit would be my course of action without doubt.
    Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

mad m wrote: »
    If its locked and a communial key is used to open gate then council wont go near it. Ive a lane way out my back, it was taken over by the council in the 80's, we asked could we put up a gate but they said its a right of way. Council said the lane way was made a right of way or something like that. We found out a laneway needs to have an exit and entrance at either end to have it classed as a right of way. Ours has one way in and one way out so go figure.

Its a nightmare to get them up to clean laneway at back of our houses.

The council won't touch it. If the laneway isn't in public ownership (and it can't be if it's fenced off at either end) then it's private property and therefore the responsibility of the people who own the houses to keep it clean. And honestly, I've no problem with that. I would rather the council weren't out spending my taxes cleaning up private property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

The council won't touch it. If the laneway isn't in public ownership (and it can't be if it's fenced off at either end) then it's private property and therefore the responsibility of the people who own the houses to keep it clean. And honestly, I've no problem with that. I would rather the council weren't out spending my taxes cleaning up private property.

If it's a council estate, even with the laneway being gated and locked the Council still have a responsibility to it's up keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Well my lane has one way in and same way out. The council did take it over for whatever reason back in the 80's. its there responsibility to keep it clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

RosieJoe wrote: »
    If it's a council estate, even with the laneway being gated and locked the Council still have a responsibility to it's up keep.

I don't see where it is a council estate? Even if it wasn't and the lane was in public ownership then it would be the council's responsibility, but not if it is a private laneway, which it sounds like it is in this case.
    mad m wrote: »
    Well my lane has one way in and same way out. The council did take it over for whatever reason back in the 80's. its there responsibility to keep it clean.

Didn't mean in your case, sorry for any confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So just give in to intimidation ?
    What happens if more rubbish appears ?
    The OP is going to get more dogshyte on his doorstep to remind him to call the council ?

Get evidence and then report them for harassment.
    Keep a log and photos (dated) of each incident.

Also when find out who is doing it send them bill for cost of all the cleanups.

Alternatively you could empty foul smelling liquid (putrid fish) into the vents of their car if you were of that type of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Is it possible that before op moved in his landlord dumped all the rubbish from the last tenants in the laneway?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

jmayo wrote: »
    Keep a log and photos (dated) of each incident.

For a second there, I thought you were talking about the dogcrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ScottStorm wrote: »
    Is it possible that before op moved in his landlord dumped all the rubbish from the last tenants in the laneway?

Yeah, I wondered that: why is this person focussing on the OP, and not every other house.

OTOH, the first post say s/he has been there for three years. So it may just be a neighbourhood crazy-person.

If I was in the OP's position (esp not having a key to the laneway), I would be complaining pretty loudly to my LL, and expecting them to do the talking to the council, neighbours etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Are you sure you're the only one who got a notice through the door? Reminds me of this also in Dublin 8 - http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/litter-dublin-8-south-inner-city-1908018-Jan2015/
    Dublin 8 resident loses the rag with litter dumping neighbours
    AN ANGRY RESIDENT in the Dublin 8 area has taken matters into their own hands after repeated dumping on Long Lane.
    Placing a sign sure to be seen by the offenders is one way to attempt to tackle the problem.
    Last year this note was placed above a regular dumping area in Synge Street, also in Dublin 8.
    DailyEdge.ie has contact Dublin City Council for comment on illegal dumping in the Dublin 8/south inner city area.
    Earlier this month the Council said that it has been “working on a new initiative to combat serious dumping/litter issues in the North Inner City” and that that work had been reflected in noted improvements in a recent Irish Businesses Against Litter report, although the area remained “seriously littered”.
    Dublin city as a whole was deemed to be “moderately littered” in the 2014 final report.
    The council encourages residents to report incidents of littering by post, telephone or email.

If it is a poo vendetta get video evidence, find out who it is and call the dog warden so they get fined. They probably don't have a dog license either so a second fine for that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Read this thread tonight from the first post. Devastated there is no update! What a horrible scummy person the phantom sh*tter is! Hope they are caught and fined heavily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

No update, wonder did the laptop get robbed from the car during the spy mission!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement