Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio presenters real name thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Joe Duffy-Joseph Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Ha, Batman Gomez! Marvellous!

Bring back those days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Ha, Batman Gomez! Marvellous!

Bring back those days!

What am I missing here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I am assured that my old radio friends, Ulick McGee and Nick McGuinness are indeed their real names. They may have been one and the same person though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Also: Dickie Bow, Wayne Scales, Nails Mahoney, Cliff Walker, Jo King, Batman Gomez, Hollywood Haze, Cousin Brucie and not forgetting Rick O'Shea. It should be pointed out that over the years it also had relatively normal deejay-sounding names too!

Q102's Gerry Stevens is a brother of former radio presenter Barry Lang. I would hazard a guess that his real name is Gerry Lang!

Hollywood haze is like Steve Hayes alter ego after turning heel ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Radio5 wrote: »
    John Blake on pirate radio in Cork long time ago - now better known as his real name, John Creedon.

I never knew for ages, that he done the voice of Terence the Hairdresser on GerryRyan's show :)
    The Atlantic 252 schedule was hilarious. Dusty Rhodes, Robin Banks, Sandy Beech...

Totally hilarious craic they were, i even remember Dusty one time saying one time playing a track & dedicating it to his mum in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Birneybau wrote: »
    Joe Duffy-Joseph Duffy.

Nah!
    Joe Duffy-Ray Darcy
    and
    Ray Darcy-Joe Duffy

Seems like it these days anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭radioland

Robin Banks & Marty McFly Atlantic 252 are in fact Christian (Chris) Richardson and Jim Sweney

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Also: Dickie Bow, Wayne Scales, Nails Mahoney, Cliff Walker, Jo King, Batman Gomez, Hollywood Haze, Cousin Brucie and not forgetting Rick O'Shea. It should be pointed out that over the years it also had relatively normal deejay-sounding names too!

Q102's Gerry Stevens is a brother of former radio presenter Barry Lang. I would hazard a guess that his real name is Gerry Lang!

Real name Gavin McKenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Jason Maine = Pat Long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 ONE THOUGHT PER LINK

Greenman wrote: »
    Jason Maine = Pat Long

The Boy Jase before becoming a radio legend was a postman! So for a time he was actually Postman Pat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I stand corrected.

Was Marty Hall = Marty Whelen?

Declan Matthews = Declan Meehan.

I know Tony Garret = Gareth O Callaghan, the former being a real DJ's name with jingles etc.

Paul Nicholas = Andy Ruane, not a fan BTW.

Alan Hilton = Mark Bolan

Does anyone remember???

Was Kevin Barret really Kevin Barret?

What what DJ Lee's name?

Very interesting thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Greenman wrote: »

What what DJ Lee's name?

Liam Tuohy.

See Titanic cast list on Imdb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Nails Mahoney = Brian McColl.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭chilloutrelax

Andy Preston = Ian Moore (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Terry Wogan= Sir Terry Wogan.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Nails Mahoney = Brian McColl.

Brian McColl isn't his real name either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Niall Boylan - Anto Ward a brother of the duo Deco & Beyonce who appeared on Irelands got Talent years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Bard wrote: »
    Brian McColl isn't his real name either!

Really? I never knew that. You learn something new everyday, as they say :)

Matt Dempsy=Matt Flanagan..Dickie Bow from Atlantic 252= Mark Whelan,limericks live 95 breakfast presenter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Blaise Bambury

This post has been deleted.

Might also be for ..ahem...tax avoidance issues ..though probably not !

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

Rick O'shea - Paul Crossan, Chris Barry - Ciaran Gaffney, Colm Hayes - Colm Caffery. Larry Gogan - Lorcan Gogan, Ruth Scott- Mary McDonagh, Simon Young - Thomas Meade, Martin King - Martin Boyle, Nikki Hayes- Eimear O' Keeffe, Bob Conway - Martin Cullinan. Dusty Rhodes-Ivan Nolan.

Am I the only person on here who finds this somewhat an invasion of privacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Am I the only person on here who finds this somewhat an invasion of privacy?
    I'd feel the same if my name were Mary McDonagh… Poor Ruth!

In fairness, if their names are published here, I'd imagine they're already in the public domain.

Plus, this is a small island, after all. Changing your name will probably draw even more attention to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Yuri Checkov

I am sure the tax man/Social welfare is taking notes.

As for an invasion of privacy, if these people have nothing to hide then why are they using false names?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

I am sure the tax man/Social welfare is taking notes.

As for an invasion of privacy, if these people have nothing to hide then why are they using false names?

I am sure they would like to have their privacy when they are finished tthe workday. Especially when it comes to doing normal run of the mill, everyday things... Like sitting in a doctors surgery and having the comfort of being like everyone else in the room and not in the public eye.

If these presenters choose to use false names, why is it anyone elses business?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

I am sure they would like to have their privacy when they are finished tthe workday. Especially when it comes to doing normal run of the mill, everyday things... Like sitting in a doctors surgery and having the comfort of being like everyone else in the room and not in the public eye.

If these presenters choose to use false names, why is it anyone elses business?

The Lonely One is correct in regard to it being the business of the presenters as to the name used. In some cases of course names were assigned by the original radio serviced they were engaged by meaning that a change to another name would have made their previous work pretty anonymous. Other name changers probably figured that a name change brought increased coolness to their craft. Horses for courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I'd say for official use, probably used their own names, like passports i assume & going to the doctors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 A Teddy bear

I recently found out on Facebook that Tim Kelly's real name is Brendan Dowling 😳😳😳

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

Andy Preston = Ian Moore (I think)

I think he's actually Andy Preston.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I think he's actually Andy Preston.

He’s not!

Advertisement