Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants to access apartment without my consent

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'm going to ask them what emergency works they are carrying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Emergency access is allowed. That's a given.

Otherwise, your permission is required. No two ways about it. By all means go the PRTB. And go to the Property Agenrs Regulatory Authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Didn't think so either.

Just going to have to empty the apartment this weekend of anything valuable.

Will never rent from these again. Can't wait to move. I'm sure there'll be more drama before I move out.

Name and shame them.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

syklops wrote: »
    Name and shame them.

Don't do anything of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭ted1

syklops wrote: »
    Name and shame them.

What's there to shame ? A proactive landlord doing upgrades which sound like they are fire related.

Plenty of people come in here complaining that there lsndlords do nothing.

This landlord deserves praise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I don't understand the mistrust, I have had lots of tradesmen over the years doing work in my house whilst I have been in work, and nothing has ever been stolen, nor have I ever heard of this happening from other people. What makes you think a plasterer is going to nick your laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

So basically they know you are leaving and have chosen to inconvenience you while you are still in the property rather than just wait a few weeks and do the work when it is either vacant, so no one is inconvenienced, or there is a new tenant, whom they have decided not to inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

cnocbui wrote: »
    So basically they know you are leaving and have chosen to inconvenience you while you are still in the property rather than just wait a few weeks and do the work when it is either vacant, so no one is inconvenienced, or there is a new tenant, whom they have decided not to inconvenience.

The OP said the LL/Agent has charge of all units, so the upgrading is being done on the entire block I assume. It doesn't take a week to hang fire doors in one unit, but neither does it make sense to do all units bar the OPs and then come back and do his in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I have received a letter from the letting agency telling me they will be accessing my apartment from Monday for approx 5 days to carry out works (cutting out ceilings, re-installing, removing doors and rehanging)
    I've removed and replaced ceilings on several properties.
    While I don't know the construction of your apartment, in the ones that I've done it on it creates a huge amount of dust and mess.
    Unless the work has to be done for emergency reasons, then I'd tell the landlord to wait to you move out.
    I would ask that you refer to the prtb rules and regulations which govern landlord and tenant law.

Depending on works to be carried out the landlord or his contractors may in the event of an emergency or with prior notice gain entry to a property to carry out essential works .
    I'd ask them to show you exactly which section they are referring to and how it relates to the work they are planning to carry out.
    ted1 wrote: »
    What's there to shame ? A proactive landlord doing upgrades which sound like they are fire related.
    That's pure speculation on your part though.
    If the apartment needs emergency work done to it, due to fire safety or other safety related reasons (ceiling falling down), then the OP shouldn't be there.

Well there goes any pretense from the LL that the works are an 'emergency' then.

The OP mentioned ceilings as well as doors:
    cutting out ceilings, re-installing, removing doors and rehanging

In what way does 'sense' - as in a financial/logistical desire to get the entire body of work done in one go - negate the OP's legal rights as a tennant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

you don't schedule emergency works. they were prepared to work with you to a point on a suitable time (as per previous emails) therefore them now claiming them as emergency works is a load of old tosh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

OP, I think they are being reasonable by giving you the opportunity to select different days. The work needs to be done, there could be an obligation on the landlord to carry out the work under fire regs.

If you are concerned about your property, take an inventory and send it to the letting agency

garhjw wrote: »
    OP, I think they are being reasonable by giving you the opportunity to select different days. The work needs to be done, there could be an obligation on the landlord to carry out the work under fire regs.

If you are concerned about your property, take an inventory and send it to the letting agency
    They didn't initially agree to my suggestion of changing the date though, they just quoted my lease which said they can enter with 24 hours notice.

It wasn't until I sent them the links I quoted earlier that they agreed.

Another resident sent me what they have done to their doors. They've added chains which slam the doors closed. The doors we have are already self closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭j2dab

You lack trust OP, these people aren't out to get you, rob your stuff or piss you off. Works need to be carried out, they have given you good notice for you to put things away if you need to. Get over it, much more important things to worry about.

j2dab wrote: »
    You lack trust OP, these people aren't out to get you, rob your stuff or piss you off. Works need to be carried out, they have given you good notice for you to put things away if you need to. Get over it, much more important things to worry about.

I'm moving out. Why can't they do it when I move out?

Id prefer not to trust someone now than have 1000e of computer and camera equipment stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

They didn't initially agree to my suggestion of changing the date though, they just quoted my lease which said they can enter with 24 hours notice.

Another resident sent me what they have done to their doors. They've added chains which slam the doors closed. The doors we have are already self closing.

Looks like fire regs if they are doing this but am open to correction. They may have been directed to do this by the council or fire officer and could be required in order to comply with the buildings insurance policy. They could be required to have this completed by a specific date.

I'm moving out. Why can't they do it when I move out?

Id prefer not to trust someone now than have 1000e of computer and camera equipment stolen.

Take photos of your goods, but I wouldn't worry too much about them being stolen, I think I would be far more concerned with them leaving behind a mess each day that I was expected to clean up.

They need to be self closing for Fire regulations, deffo considered as emergency works. They wouldn't do it without reason, obviously there was an issue found with the existing set up

If the work isn't done, this could lead to a priory hall scenario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I hope the op doesn't require a reference from current ll in thd future. With his/her attitude they won't be getting one.

To me it looks like the op just wants to be a stubborn argumentative tenant just for the sake of it.

grow up kid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd make life as hard for the Ll as possible.
    I'd state in writing you will not allow any utilities be used by the Ll or his agents, so no electrics or water.
    I'd ask for a site safety statement and a public liability insurance cert for the works in advance of any works taking place.
    I'd ask for a written declaration the flat already meets the minimum standards as set down in law for the rental accomodation, or immediate(/whenever suits you) termination of the lease for default by the Ll.
    I'd ask the Ll to imdemnify you against any loss as a result of these works, including theft or damage of contents.

• Advertisement

I'd state in writing you will not allow any utilities be used by the Ll or his agents, so no electrics or water.
    I'd ask for a site safety statement and a public liability insurance cert for the works in advance of any works taking place.
    I'd ask for a written declaration the flat already meets the minimum standards as set down in law for the rental accomodation, or immediate(/whenever suits you) termination of the lease for default by the Ll.
    I'd ask the Ll to imdemnify you against any loss as a result of these works, including theft or damage of contents.

And why would you make life as hard as possible ? Read what you just wrote and an yourself is that a dick of a thing to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Are you serious?

delahuntv wrote: »
    I hope the op doesn't require a reference from current ll in thd future. With his/her attitude they won't be getting one.

To me it looks like the op just wants to be a stubborn argumentative tenant just for the sake of it.

grow up kid

No, I'm not trying to make their life hard even though they owe me money and have tried to increase my rent twice illegally in the last year.

All I wanted was more notice of them coming into MY HOME while I'm not there and they shot back at me that they had every right to enter my property (which they do not).

If these are regulatory works that need to be carried out then why not just say that to me? They didn't and I'm not going to presume they are unless they tell me otherwise.

There is almost 200+ apartments here. These works have just begun. Is it so much to ask that they wait until I move out?

I never once had to contact the last agency who ran these buildings in the year and a half or so I was here and the people living in my apartment for the last 4 years didn't either. Now every week it is something new. Last week we had no water, then we had muddy water. The month before that they changed the locks and made us collect the keys in their office without any sort of decent notice and the month before that sure I apparantly didn't pay the rent and they made me email them screenshots of my bank account. I have grown to hate living here because of this new company.

So no, I'm not being stubborn or argumentative. I'm a good tenant, I pay my rent and bills on time, the place is immaculate and I treat it like my own. I've been renting for 7 years and have references from every other letting agency or landlord I've rented from.

I'm not going to try and annoy the agency by not letting them do the works, just make them do them when it's convenient for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Those chains are definitely for fire safety purposes.

I'd say they could make a strong argument that the works are emergency works to make the building safe in case of fire.

Of course if they do that you can ask them why they haven't notified the residents that the building is unsafe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Emergency repairs allow permission
    OP has stated that the doors are already self closing so these works are just to upgrade the existing fire safety features.
    If it's an emergency repair (which i don't think it is - i've been told by other tenants that they are putting new doors in) then the apartment would be deemed unsafe and I shouldn't be living it it?
    Exactly and they would have to provide accommodation for all tenants while remedial work was carried out.............Maybe the apartments are unsafe and they are trying to avoid having to do that by getting the work done without telling tenants that the apartments are unsafe?
    blacklilly wrote: »
    It sounds like the LL is carrying out upgrade work, possibly related to fire safety.

It would seem from the extract of the lease that the OP provided that the LL can gain access giving the notice as dictated in the lease.
    the excerpt from the lease can't over-ride a tenants rights provided by the residential tenancies act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op are they just doing work on your apartment or is it to be done on all apartments in the development?

If it's just your apartment then I see your point, they should just wait until you move out.

If it's all apartments, then I can see their point, they have to arrange a week when they will be on site to do all the properties, so on the law of averages there will be some tenents/owners who will not be happy with the timing. As a previous poster said, it would not make sense to do the apartments individually at different times convenient to the occupants. So I suspect that if the repairs are necessary for fire &safety regs, they will use the lease to access your apartment. Perhaps you should view this as an opportunity to get something from the LL, like a rent reduction for the short time remaining on your lease.

In relation to "emergency", if law and owners insurance require compliance with fire & safety standards, then it would be pretty easy for them to make a good case that the repairs had to be done without delay.

Do you live in long boat quay?

Do you live in long boat quay?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well I guess i'm screwed because they sent me a copy of my lease
    Does the copy of "your lease" have your signature on it?
    cutting out ceilings, re-installing, removing doors and rehanging
    I wonder how this will affect your bedroom, and ability to sleep?

=-=

Take photographs of the rooms before they start work, and when they finish work. ANY, and I mean any damage caused to the apartment, notify the agency as they seem like they'll try to screw you over for damages when you leave.

• Advertisement

I really do love this crowd. Sent them a registered letter giving them a months notice that we were leaving 2 weeks ago. It was signed for on the 2nd March by Sarah*

Got a phone call yesterday 'Hi this is Sarah, sorry we only just got your letter now, it was sent to the building next door' - oh really? so why is YOUR name on it saying you signed for it at 10am 2nd March?

"There'll be a viewing at 12 tomorrow".
    -No there won't. There'll be someone here at 5 you can come then.
    "It's booked for 12"
    -Probably should have asked us first? I don't want strangers wandering around the apartment.
    "I'll be there, I'll ensure nobody touches your stuff"
    -You are a stranger.

I don't think there is anything they won't lie about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement