Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport security...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

LucidLife wrote: »
    When I returned from NY last I was cleaning out wallet on plane and found about half a gram of coke I'd obviously hidden or whatever drunk. Went straight to bathroom and flushed the baggy (less contents!). Arrive in Shannon to sniffer dog search for first time ever. Was a close one.

And whoever said about the 100% record.... what tripe... obviously if they find contraband they dispose of it. You expect the odd guy to get his weed or whatever returned? ? Don't even try to suggest nobody sneaks through gear. It's a full time job for some. Ever heard of a mule?

Yes because you're going to stab someone or hijack a plane with a bag of coke. I should have been a bit more explicit about my use of the word contraband. Any item that could be considered a serious weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

gamblitis wrote: »
    Yes because you're going to stab someone or hijack a plane with a bag of coke. I should have been a bit more explicit about my use of the word contraband. Any item that could be considered a serious weapon.

Just read my whole two posts again you indescribably angering waste of my time.

Just read my whole two posts again you indescribably angering waste of my time.

Yet you wasted your time to reply to me specifically. Bit of a hypocrite aren't you??

At no point did I say anyone gets any drugs returned, nor that no one smuggles drugs through an airport.

My original point was that Dublin security have been tested and passed on finding concealed weapons in hand luggage. Not the bag of Charlie you had in your wallet, you ignoramus.

You're so clued in on drug trafficking, you rebel you. Please tell me more of your amazing stories....

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

Yet you wasted your time to reply to me specifically. Bit of a hypocrite aren't you??

At no point did I say anyone gets any drugs returned, nor that no one smuggles drugs through an airport.

My original point was that Dublin security have been tested and passed on finding concealed weapons in hand luggage. Not the bag of Charlie you had in your wallet, you ignoramus.

You're so clued in on drug trafficking, you rebel you. Please tell me more of your amazing stories....

You can't call me ignorant considering I named the airport I landed at and it was not Dublin.
    How ignorant does that make you on a scale of 1-10?

Every airport tests its security. ..whats your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

thelad95 wrote: »
    Dublin airport security is a joke. On a school trip in 1st year we went to Paris. In my hand luggage, I got a 500ml bottle of water, a scissors and a bottle of coke from the vending machine. As this was my first time travelling to anywhere outside the British Isles, I was unaware of my mistake.

I tried the same thing on the way back in Charles De Gaulle and was nearly not let on the plane.

What damage did school la you do with your can of coke, water and scissors?

• Advertisement

You can't call me ignorant considering I named the airport I landed at and it was not Dublin.
    How ignorant does that make you on a scale of 1-10?

Every airport tests its security. ..whats your point?

Probably a 3. Been in work all night.

How much of a legend are you on the scale of 1 to 10 re-enforcing the point that you snorted your coke before you flushed the bag?

Dublin is tested for concealed weapons, it continually passes.

For anyone who thinks airport security is a joke or is ****, they have upped their game in fairness. As long as it stays like that I couldn't care less who brings their baggy on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Dublin airport security has actually had 100% record in their last number of tests, confiscating all objects classified as contraband.

bet they didn't confiscate a single laptop battery though, probably the most destructive thing you can easily bring on a plane these days. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The baby was sitting gurgling at them out of the pram, and anyway, how much class A drugs can you really smuggle in 2 small bottles?

Loads. Half a kilo of heroin is about forty grand when broken up and sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

If you check, many airline and airport security regulations they say that knives and scissor with blades less than 6 cm and scissors are fine for hand luggage carry. Of course it's probably not a good idea to start arguing with anyone in security over a nail scissors.

http://www.dublinairport.com/Libraries/Airport_Security/Carry_on_Luggage_Prohibited_Items.sflb.ashx

http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/baggageinformation/restrictedprohibiteditems/

http://www.stanstedairport.com/stansted-airport-guide/airport-security-and-baggage/hand-baggage

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MOD: gamblitis & LucidLife, calm down and stop the bickering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Duct tape...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Luke92 wrote: »
    Really convincing me that this actually happened.

So a massive knife, with a 3 inch blade? What was so massive about it? Was it 10 inches wide? Was it really heavy? How was it massive?

Large in this sense...
    conorh91 wrote: »
    In fairness, if you produced this weapon on an aircraft, I'm sure everyone on board would deem the blade to be sizable enough to amount to a major threat.

...as compared to your ordinary cutlery knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I genuinely do know people who have strolled through dublin security with drugs in recent times.

TBF scanners and security etc are not necessarily going to discover drugs. It is not their purpose after all.

that's more a customs/police issue

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I once smuggled about 250ml of piss into England in my bladder. They're plug-useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Security in any airport is there as a deterrent, I travel a lot through my job, and to be fair, Dublin are very pro-active in their approach to security and procedures,I find certain airports in Europe very laid back consistently,all it takes is some "nutjob" to get lucky once, and from what I know if your knife is under 6cm, its allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Went on a Stag weekend to Newcastle last year, during the flight over one of the lads on the Stag, who was sitting next to me, decided to reveal casually to me (as I was about to sip on a tiny can of Heineken) that he was sitting on about 5 years (prison time) worth of cocaine .......... longest flight I've ever been on ............ good coke though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Went on a Stag weekend to Newcastle last year, during the flight over one of the lads on the Stag, who was sitting next to me, decided to reveal casually to me (as I was about to sip on a tiny can of Heineken) that he was sitting on about 5 years (prison time) worth of cocaine .......... longest flight I've ever been on ............ good coke though!

So you swapped the can of Heineken for the cans of Coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,820 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think at some airports the security are bordering on paranoia. I was in Malaga last christmas and they took babies bottles away from a family to be scanned, for drugs, presumably.

The baby was sitting gurgling at them out of the pram, and anyway, how much class A drugs can you really smuggle in 2 small bottles?

Airport security have no interest in looking for drugs, that's customs. they would have been looking for an explosive a small explosive, explosives and weapons is what they are trying to prevent. The genuinely couldn't give a flying **** if you have 20 kilos of heroin in your suitcase although if they do spot it it's not something they will overlook obviously.

People have the idea that airport security is fool proof, it is not. It is what they call 'Security Theatre'. Where as well as possibly finding weapons or explosives using the combination of X-Ray, metal detector and ETD machines they are also using the whole process as a deterrent in itself. I'd say just about everyone has gotten through with a bottle of over the limit water or coke at some time or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

razorblunt wrote: »
    So you swapped the can of Heineken for the cans of Coke?

Not exactly ......... just had a great weekend! ;)

Advertisement