Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport security...

Options
  • 20-02-2015 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭

...isn't as secure as you would think.

How many times have we taken bottles greater than 100mL as some airports are more lax than others.

Upon finding a large and impressive knife in Spain several years ago, I decided to see if I could steal it back to Ireland and - weirdly - I managed to get the knife through security (about a 3 inch blade). However unbelievable that story may sound, I can vouch for its veracity.

Anyone manage to sneak anything else through security?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...isn't as secure as you would think.

How many times have we taken bottles greater than 100mL as some airports are more lax than others.

Upon finding a large and impressive knife in Spain several years ago, I decided to see if I could steal it back to Ireland and - weirdly - I managed to get the knife through security (about a 3 inch blade). However unbelievable that story may sound, I can vouch for its veracity.

Anyone manage to sneak anything else through security?

Did you bring it onboard the plane into the passenger area with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Oh yes, this was hidden in the depths of my hand luggage.

I was shocked at the time. I realise in hindsight it wasn't the most mature thing to have done, but still, it says something about the state of airport security.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Dublin airport security is a joke. On a school trip in 1st year we went to Paris. In my hand luggage, I got a 500ml bottle of water, a scissors and a bottle of coke from the vending machine. As this was my first time travelling to anywhere outside the British Isles, I was unaware of my mistake.

I tried the same thing on the way back in Charles De Gaulle and was nearly not let on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

However unbelievable that story may sound, I can vouch for its veracity.

Vouching for the veracity of your own story, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I think at some airports the security are bordering on paranoia. I was in Malaga last christmas and they took babies bottles away from a family to be scanned, for drugs, presumably.

The baby was sitting gurgling at them out of the pram, and anyway, how much class A drugs can you really smuggle in 2 small bottles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Zab wrote: »
    Vouching for the veracity of your own story, eh?

He believes himself to be trustworthy,who are we argue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

However unbelievable that story may sound, I can vouch for its veracity.
    Not unbelievable at all. I have managed to take scissors and packets of razor blades onboard, when a tube of Colgate toothpaste was sarcastically detained. They're not the brightest.

Everybody knows Paddy only has bacon and sausages in their bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

I went through security in Dublin airport once with a mop bucket full of water and a pocket full of miniature monkeys with knives for fingers.

Place is a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

A sealed plastic tray of olives in Italy with about 500ml of liquid in it. totally forgot about it but bag went through scanner without issue.

Also bringing full cups of coffee etc on planes over here is grand, there's no security at all for turboprop operated regional flights :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Upon finding a large and impressive knife

(about a 3 inch blade).

Really convincing me that this actually happened.

So a massive knife, with a 3 inch blade? What was so massive about it? Was it 10 inches wide? Was it really heavy? How was it massive?

Luke92 wrote: »
    Really convincing me that this actually happened.

So a massive knife, with a 3 inch blade? What was so massive about it? Was it 10 inches wide? Was it really heavy? How was it massive?

He thinks three inches is massive....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Brought weed home in my sock before. Obviously not a lot but was the making of a good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

70 meters of rope. True story.

Luke92 wrote: »
    In fairness, if you produced this weapon on an aircraft, I'm sure everyone on board would deem the blade to be sizable enough to amount to a major threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

kneemos wrote: »
    He thinks three inches is massive....

Well his mum has only experienced one other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

3 inch blade isn't big op, I knew someone who once brought back what can only be described as a mini sword from holidays, they said they kept it in their bags which they kept on them while walking through the scanner and even though it instantly went off the security man just waved them through. No idea why someone would want a knife like this anyway but it's scary to know that it managed to slip past security

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Coming back from working in England I had a Leatherman in my carry on luggage. Forgot about it.
    No problems. Got through the scanners without a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

got to andorra a few years ago ,opened up my backpack(that i carried as hand luggage) found 11 shotgun shells at the bottom-was missed completely at dublin,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Be surprised, once got on the plane with a large bottle of head & shoulders in my carry on bag, forgot it was there. But, this was four years ago and:

Heathrow Airport (from Dublin) flying to Asia
    Gone through four security checks in Heathrow
    Found it on the plane when taking out a book to read. Bizarre.

Hopefully Isis are not reading this thread :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

I love the way all these stories begin with the phrase "a few years ago"...

Security protocols have been upped massively in the last year or two.

Dublin airport security has actually had 100% record in their last number of tests, confiscating all objects classified as contraband.

If someone would like to say "last week I got 'insert random object here' through security" I'd like to hear it.

gamblitis wrote: »

Security protocols have been upped massively in the last year or two.

Dublin airport security has actually had 100% record in their last number of tests, confiscating all objects classified as contraband.

If someone would like to say "last week I got 'insert random object here' through security" I'd like to hear it.

ok,i know of some "people" getting coke and weed through there goin to a stag in liverpool last week!!!:p

mulbot wrote: »
    ok,i know of some "people" getting coke and weed through there goin to a stag in liverpool last week!!!:p

Heroes....

Heroes....

nope,just coke and weed

Eh, no. Four of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

I found one of these 3.25 inch folding knifes in my hand luggage when I landed in Dublin after a flight from Atlanta a few years back.

Had been camping, hiking and rafting on Georgia - North Carolina boarder for a few weeks and picked the knife up in Walmart for like $10 because from years of watching Ray Mears and Bear Grylls I know that it's always handy to have a knife when you're out in the wilds in case you get attacked by a rabid gopher or want to spear fish for minnows or use it as a badass throwing knife to hunt fireflys or whatever.

Had been in the bottom of a backpack for a few days and just forgot it was there.
    When I landed in Dublin I was rooting in the bag to find my car keys and found the knife and was stunned it was there. TSA either didn't see it or just decided it wasn't a problem.

Wouldn't try repeat the fluke mind.

conorh91 wrote: »
    Eh, no. Four of them.

While the rest of the posts discussed whose mother thought 3 inches was massive or not.

I genuinely do know people who have strolled through dublin security with drugs in recent times.

I was there last Saturday, I have a small see through zippy bag for liquids that I use all the time for travelling but the nice lady was the most pedantic security lady. She wanted me to put my stuff into a little sandwich bag. Which I did. Easily. Nowhere does it say the clear re sealable bag has to be of the sandwich variety. She almost got annoyed when my stuff fit in it.

Mostly the staff though are efficient and helpful. They took a scissors off me once that I didn't know was there (honestly didn't!).

I've found London stanstead to be the most diligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

I think at some airports the security are bordering on paranoia. I was in Malaga last christmas and they took babies bottles away from a family to be scanned, for drugs, presumably.

The baby was sitting gurgling at them out of the pram, and anyway, how much class A drugs can you really smuggle in 2 small bottles?

Its unlikely they were tested for drugs. Drugs don't bring down/ lose control of flights. If tested more likely for illicit substances that are combustible would be my guess.

A lot of class A drugs can fit in small containers. Especially if the sellers market is Ireland lol. Do you have any idea the price of herion?? You know those kinder eggs with toy inside? Those capsules are often used for it and altho small in size are worth a lot more than their weight in gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

When I returned from NY last I was cleaning out wallet on plane and found about half a gram of coke I'd obviously hidden or whatever drunk. Went straight to bathroom and flushed the baggy (less contents!). Arrive in Shannon to sniffer dog search for first time ever. Was a close one.

And whoever said about the 100% record.... what tripe... obviously if they find contraband they dispose of it. You expect the odd guy to get his weed or whatever returned? ? Don't even try to suggest nobody sneaks through gear. It's a full time job for some. Ever heard of a mule?

Advertisement