Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭john boye

Tenger wrote: »
    I think it's a bit too early. MX/Repaints generally happen Jan/Feb/March.

There seems to be plenty of the fleet having MX work lately but I guess repaints are done more after Xmas like you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

-GEY has been in Bordeaux since the 26th or November so they should have the new business class Seats fitted. Its down as doing EI139 DUB-BOS on the 9th and going by the seat map it has been updated too finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Shamrockj wrote: »
    -GEY has been in Bordeaux since the 26th or November so they should have the new business class Seats fitted. Its down as doing EI139 DUB-BOS on the 9th and going by the seat map it has been updated too finally!

I wonder has it been fitted with a cabin crew rest area too?

Which other 330 is scheduled for maintenance?

GCF was the first 330 to receive maintenance at BOD for the Winter schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jack1985 wrote: »
    They won't be serving IAD.

Range or capacity the reason?

Guessing the latter, as a relatively frequent user of the route they seem to have no problem filling an A332, load factors look like they've been 100%+ (i.e. oversold) the last couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

john boye wrote: »
    There seems to be plenty of the fleet having MX work lately but I guess repaints are done more after Xmas like you say.

They said all repainting would be done by the end of 2021. If you strip out the two 6 month high season blocks, that leaves 12 months to paint 30 odd aircraft, which would be 1 every 10 days or so within those windows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Only slightly off-topic but interesting to read a review of the new A321LR from the points guy:

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/aer-lingus-a321neo-business-class-dub-phl/?navtid=More-3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Graham wrote: »
    Only slightly off-topic but interesting to read a review of the new A321LR from the points guy:

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/aer-lingus-a321neo-business-class-dub-phl/?navtid=More-3

Thanks for this. Awesome photos included.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

The selfie in the toilet. Cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

cson wrote: »
    The selfie in the toilet. Cringe.

I’m more concerned that Aer lingus are serving norn iron tayto!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Cloudio9 wrote: »

Oh dear

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Given that Tayto's main operation is in Ashbourne, Co Meath, I suspect they are not norn iron, but we won't get upset about it will we :D

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭steve-o

Given that Tayto's main operation is in Ashbourne, Co Meath, I suspect they are not norn iron, but we won't get upset about it will we :D
    :eek: Only a mod would dare such sacrilege! You are clearly an imposter from the Popular People's Front of Tandragee!

Free Staytos are in Ashbourne. The ones on the flight are the northern pretenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Nordie Tayto terrible compared to Tayto.

Disappointing if EI have implemented such cost savings.

A lot of the European catering is sourced from NI.

Not sure what is going on, I've been served proper Tayto on European flights as recently as 26th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

A lot of the European catering is sourced from NI.

Not sure what is going on, I've been served proper Tayto on European flights as recently as 26th December.

Knew most sandwiches are from NI but yes I have been served real Tayto a in November on a Euro one. The Cadburys range is the Irish one still I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I’m more concerned by the headline: Pot of Gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭john boye

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    They said all repainting would be done by the end of 2021. If you strip out the two 6 month high season blocks, that leaves 12 months to paint 30 odd aircraft, which would be 1 every 10 days or so within those windows.

Even allowing for any potential existing fleet withdrawals and new frames arriving that timeline seems very unrealistic given the small amount done so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭jd

Anyone know if AL are definitely going 10w DUB-SFO? And what is the proposed schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

jd wrote: »
    Anyone know if AL are definitely going 10w DUB-SFO? And what is the proposed schedule?

The summer schedule appears complete. It will remain at daily.

United have also announced a daily SFO service so it’s very unlikely Aer Lingus will ever go to 10 weekly now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭trellheim

the united SFO run is timed to depart one hour before the EI service going west, and two hours before the EI service going east and it will be a 787-8 so 3-3-3 economy vs the EI 2-4-2.

a lot of corporate will be on that UA run

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Will hopefully result in the Aer Lingus ticket prices for the West Coast dropping. Been a bit too high for a bit too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

trellheim wrote: »
    the united SFO run is timed to depart one hour before the EI service going west, and two hours before the EI service going east and it will be a 787-8 so 3-3-3 economy vs the EI 2-4-2.

Two hours earlier going east is probably less appealing for business travellers - with the EI service you can leave the city at around 2:30/3pm for your flight, meaning the flight day is still useful for fitting in meetings. If you’re leaving at 12:30/1pm instead, that extra day becomes far less useful. Also, it puts you on the flight even further away from “bedtime” compared to the EI schedule, so you’re less likely to be able to catch some sleep.

Of course, the conundrum with SF flights is that even if they were 2 hours *later* than the EI service, you’d still have to depart for the airport at pretty much the same time - the 101 at rush hour is an absolute disaster.

I think EI might have the most optimal service times for SFO-DUB sewn up actually. The outbound flight leaves late enough that you’ll have had a decent night’s sleep beforehand, letting you survive until nighttime PST when you arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Noxegon

ET had a very late LAX-DUB coupled with a very early DUB-LAX. I never used either but i did like the fact that both directions would have given me a full day in CA.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    ET had a very late LAX-DUB coupled with a very early DUB-LAX. I never used either but i did like the fact that both directions would have given me a full day in CA.

I used it a few times mainly because you could usually get a return biz ticket for under 2k. There was no Monday flight so not much use for getting a full day and it meant a very early Sunday start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

trellheim wrote: »

I'm an infrequent user of EI-147/6 (twice a year). Outside of the timings of the announced UA service, would the 787-8 in a 3-3-3 configuration be more comfortable than the A330 fleet? Also would it provide a premium economy option that Aer Lingus have no current plans for on this route (as of December 2019)?

ciarsd wrote: »
    I'm an infrequent user of EI-147/6 (twice a year). Outside of the timings of the announced UA service, would the 787-8 in a 3-3-3 configuration be more comfortable than the A330 fleet? Also would it provide a premium economy option that Aer Lingus have no current plans for on this route (as of December 2019)?

I don't think it would be more comfortable in economy. Being in the 2 of a 2-4-2 layout is going to be better than a 3.

They don't currently have premium economy in the 787-8 but are starting to roll it out. They do have economy plus which is an economy seat with an extra 3 inches of legroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭trellheim

A330 width 5.64 m, 787-8 = 5.77 metres but you have to fit an extra person into that 13 cm (2-4-2) vs (3-3-3)

A330 is the best option in the long haul business, nice airy cabin and huge overhead storage

The 787 is fancy and clever but was designed as a 2+4+2 not 3+3+3, but most airlines pack in 9 abreast, but JAL don't and the difference is amazing.

Most carriers are moving the 777 to 10 abreast which turned an ok aircraft into horrible, the Boeing interior for the 787/777 is basic and outdated

A350 is wider again at 5.97m in 3+3+3 which is 33cm wider than A330 so that extra seat fits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Given the option I’d always try and pick the A330 over the 787, it may not have the big windows or the curved overhead bins but the 2-4-2 layout is vastly superior in terms of comfort and perceived space.

When it comes down to it in economy, pretty much everything from food to entertainment is going to be a close match on most airlines so the choice is largely down to comfort and that’s where the A330 wins.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement