Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You inherit 100k. Name one thing you would invest it in and one you would avoid

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Healthcare providers, especially obesity treatment, it's a growth industry.....

Social media is a bubble.

Housing rebound has been driven by cash buyer who held off after the credit fueled bubble burst. The new lending restrictions haven't been felt on the market so I say avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Tedddy

Build a metropolis in Leitrim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

catbear wrote: »

Social media is a bubble.

Dont think a bubble is supposed to last ten years already with maybe another five left in the tank. Maybe more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Farm land: Stable price and lease it out to a local farmer per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Vlad Dog Putin

Donbass, big construction need after war.
    Avoid stock market, ponzi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Right now, I'd buy a few thousand worth in dollars. It seems like the euro is getting dragged down. The dollar is going from strength to strength with America becoming more self sufficient for oil. I'd cash in very quick though, once it gets on parity. Actually, the euro might not get weak enough to make only a few k worth the investment.

Just buy beanie babies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

100k on black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Where do you think the data is stored on the cloud?

I hate the term cloud. It means a thousand different things.

I prefer the original cloud.

"a visible mass of condensed watery vapour floating in the atmosphere, typically high above the general level of the ground"

Tzardine wrote: »
    100k on black.

No, 50k on black and 50k on red ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Gerry Rio wrote: »
    Dont think a bubble is supposed to last ten years already with maybe another five left in the tank. Maybe more.

It's a bubble as in a fad. Facebook is other people's boring holiday snaps. It was very cutting edge in the 1970s to bore other people with your home movies. Until Terry and June started ripping the piss out of it.
    Most people with anything of interest to share choose not to share it with online randomers.
    Property is an option but it requires maintenance. Dodgy tenants, water charges ?, property tax....the list of headaches is endless with investment property.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Incressed by 40% in dublin. In any case 2008 wasn't a normal price we are heading back to.

Give it time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I would definitely invest in my body: fitness, teeth, eye surgery.

Definite no: motor vehicles.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

No, 50k on black and 50k on red ;)
    * dealers voice * zero - fml i hear you say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

The old reliables. Gold & Silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I'd invest in some kind of hipster café type thing. Like a café that doesn't sell coffee or has no chairs or the chairs are on the ceiling or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I think actually if I came into 100k I would probably spend 99,000 on booze, strippers and motorbikes.

I would probably waste the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Vending machines, licenced moneylending,klavkalash carts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

prize bonds and pavlova

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

whupdedo wrote: »
    Give it time

It will never go back and can only fall long term.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I'd invest in some kind of hipster café type thing. Like a café that doesn't sell coffee or has no chairs or the chairs are on the ceiling or something.

60% of all new cafes and restaurants fail within their first 2 years of business. But you might be onto something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

uranium or copper or some other metal with an exponential demand curve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

I prefer the original cloud.

"a visible mass of condensed watery vapour floating in the atmosphere, typically high above the general level of the ground"

Earthhorse wrote: »

Just an empty, derelict building so?

Set up an organ harvesting business. Can never have too many organs.
    Then when ye hit your first million, celebrate in style..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

it's a common fallacy that housing trends towards some multiple of rents like stock prices (should). LCredit is a major factor. I'd expect a reversal in any housing gains when interest rates go to normal.

But rental demand is not decreasing - it's increasing. And courtesy of the Central Bank it will only increase further. Rental yields are currently so high that, not only would a property investor make an excellent return today, but they also have a serious cushion against any interest rate increases (which won't happen for many years). The central bank is gambling on (with the massively curtailed credit) that domestic demand for property purchases will decrease and, thus, house prices will stabilise (they have a long way to go before that - some properties are still overvalued, others undervalued). However, foreign investors, who don't suffer from the central banks restrictions, could easily clean up, resulting in a huge shift in demographics in this country, with a huge proportion of the population destined to be permanently stuck in the rental market, paying rent to foreign landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

60% of all new cafes and restaurants fail within their first 2 years of business. But you might be onto something.
    Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Just an empty, derelict building so?

Something that's of absolutely no value to society whatsoever.

Then, we sit back and the money will roll right in.

It's a bubble as in a fad.

Fads dont last ten years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I hear the Internet's the next big thing...

I'll be investing in Bebo and Yahoo. It's the Information Superhighway, baby!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Fads dont last ten years.

Tell that to Apple..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Where do you think the data is stored on the cloud?

A cloud?

Advertisement