Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You inherit 100k. Name one thing you would invest it in and one you would avoid

Options
  • 19-02-2015 8:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Lets say you inherit/earn/have in the bank 100 thousand euros. What area would you invest it in and what would you avoid?

To invest in:

Property. Say what you like about the Irish market but I think as long as you're not going to sell it for 10-15 years you will make money here.

Something Cloud computing based. Its the future folks. We will look at physical storage space years from now like we look at Amiga computers today.

To avoid:

Sunbed salons. I had to talk a friend out of buying one of these last year as I feel it is only a matter of time before legislation kicks in that outlaws them. The government have already stepped in banning anyone under the age of 18 using them so I feel it will be just another 3-5 years before they're gone altogether.

Internet Cafes. How there are any of these left is a mystery in itself.

Vaping/E Cigs. The new "hey! I can do that too!" business on the block. Too many at it, low cost of barriers to entry and another that is just one government bill away from putting you out of business.

Note: this is merely a hypothetical question and any "lend us a fiver?" PMs will be ignored :p

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

You're not getting my ideas off me that easy, op!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Irish Water, it seems popular :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Gerry Rio wrote: »
    Something Cloud computing based. Its the future folks. We will look at physical storage space years from now like we look at Amiga computers today.

Where do you think the data is stored on the cloud?

I hate the term cloud. It means a thousand different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I'd say property but it's bad value at the moment. It all depends when you want to take the money out.

Greek government bonds anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

we look at Amiga computers today.

A which?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

A which?

Exactly! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Stage 1 : Collect underpants.
    Stage 2 : ??????????
    Stage 3 : Profit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Vint Cerf (father of the Internets) would argue on cloud computing. (http://www.computerworld.com/article/2883759/vint-cerf-fears-a-digital-dark-age-and-your-data-could-be-at-risk.html) if you want to read further.

Any African nation investment opportunities, tired of my hard earned millions going down the drain! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The smart money is in buggy-whips and comptometer operator training

Most of it would be ear marked for buying a house so would go into some sort of short term deposit account the rest into some sort of medium risk investment fund or similar.

One thing I wouldn't do is tie it all up long term in something like a 10 year bond or something like that, not at this stage of my life anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

What property would you get for 100k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Invent a mute button for annoying people, make millions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I'd say property but it's bad value at the moment.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

It's unbelievably great value (perhaps you haven't been looking at the property market for the last 5 years?). The problem is raising the capital to purchase. However, if one had 100K alreedy raised, they would be in a great starting position.

You'd get one in Galway for that. Allsop auctions too.

You'd get one in Galway for that. Allsop auctions too.

The whole alsop thing seems rigged.

dotsman wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

It's unbelievably great value (perhaps you haven't been looking at the property market for the last 5 years?). The problem is raising the capital to purchase. However, if one had 100K alreedy raised, they would be in a great starting position.

Incressed by 40% in dublin. In any case 2008 wasn't a normal price we are heading back to.

Towards the deposit for a house as opposed to buying it outright with the money. The house would be to live in though as opposed to an investment so probably not answering the question correctly, also would not be buying in Dublin and more than likely rural so there is plenty of value around. With 100k deposit (or maybe 80k if you wanted to keep some for another investment) you will have a small mortgage on a house in many areas.

The whole alsop thing seems rigged.

Explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Incressed by 40% in dublin. In any case 2008 wasn't a normal price we are heading back to.

Yes, I agree 2008 was not normal (but it's very hard to determine "normal" based on the past 30 year). But that's not the point. Investing in a property is not about gambling on sudden increases/decreases. It is looking at the rental yield and future trends. At the moment, rental yields are ridiculously high and are very likely to continue for the medium-long term due to the massive undersupply, Ireland's hatred up "building upwards" and the recent decision by the central bank to interfere with the market for political reasons.

Where do you think the data is stored on the cloud?

I hate the term cloud. It means a thousand different things.

I was referring to the home user needing less and less physical PC storage space as time goes on. I am of course aware that the cloud companies themselves need massive rooms full of physical servers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

invest in nursing home shares.massive growth industry in the next 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Id help out this poor nigerian prince who keeps emailing me for help.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Buying power of €100k is actually very little in these times. Apart from stocks (even then its a small shareholding), you won't get any sort of decent investment property for €100k i'd imagine.

Buying power of €100k is actually very little in these times. Apart from stocks (even then its a small shareholding), you won't get any sort of decent investment property for €100k i'd imagine.

Maybe. Im sure 100k would get you a 300-500k loan from a bank however. Cash is king.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Lockheed

I'd invest in the space industry, you may not know but there is another space race underway for getting commercial sightseeing trips into space. Soon going into space will be looked at as we look at flying today.

You may disagree with me but I'd avoid computing, so many people are taking up programming lessons(it's always best not to do what everybody else is doing) and I think that it will flop when silicone grows scarce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

buy a domestic windmill and solid fuel burning stove with back-boiler for the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I would invest in loads and loads of old **** cars and a garage.

Invest with the view to never selling them.

Lockheed wrote: »
    I'd invest in the space industry, you may not know but there is another space race underway for getting commercial sightseeing trips into space. Soon going into space will be looked at as we look at flying today.

Great idea but 100k would not even touch the surface with space related industries. You're looking at billions.

dotsman wrote: »
    Yes, I agree 2008 was not normal (but it's very hard to determine "normal" based on the past 30 year). But that's not the point. Investing in a property is not about gambling on sudden increases/decreases. It is looking at the rental yield and future trends. At the moment, rental yields are ridiculously high and are very likely to continue for the medium-long term due to the massive undersupply, Ireland's hatred up "building upwards" and the recent decision by the central bank to interfere with the market for political reasons.

it's a common fallacy that housing trends towards some multiple of rents like stock prices (should). LCredit is a major factor. I'd expect a reversal in any housing gains when interest rates go to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Lithium - lightweight metal used in batteries and future electric cars.

also used in psych meds so can eat your shares if in financial emergency.

Advertisement