Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IndyCar 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,087 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

It's good they are taking some steps but I'd still be concerned, indycar, don't have a great track record when it comes to safety concerns.

I guess they've limited options at this stage, first two flips happened before boost was increased so reducing boost not solution in itself. Really depends on if they can get the car more stable with aero kit

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

I guess they've limited options at this stage, first two flips happened before boost was increased so reducing boost not solution in itself. Really depends on if they can get the car more stable with aero kit

Yeah they are in a difficult situation in fairness but it looks although if a car spins at any point it is as likely as not to get airborne. It wouldn't fill you with confidence if you were a driver. Or sitting in the first few rows for that matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I forget if it was on reddit or TrackForum where I read this, but someone was surmising that it could be down to the bumper pods that are causing the flips. Their hypothesis was that whatever side's bumper pod was still upright during the spin would cause the car to flip in that direction, which was true for all three of the Chevy crashes.

That said, looking at Hinch's brief overturn, he was going sideways and the other side of the car wasn't exactly... there... to counter-weight the overturn.

• Advertisement

Castroneves car seems to be lifting up slightly even before he hits the wall, and the car today (although wrecked) wasn't traveling especially fast when it lifted. I'd think problem is probably related to the floor of the car

here a news story about why the new floor was thought to be safer,
    http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/indycar-how-drilling-holes-could-save-a-life-as-cars-approach-235-mph-121914
    but maybe there's less ground effect with the changes and the car is easier to lift when the car spins sideways or backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Indycar needs to use the same rule that WEC introduced a few years back,> ie the fin that runs on the centre-line of the car from the roll hoop to just before the rear wing, specially to reduce the chances of sideways spinning/slightly lifting cars getting completely airbourne.

If you look at the Honda cars their Indy Aero kit has a half length fin behind the roll hoop, Chevy's have none. I wonder if this is why the Chevy's seem to be getting airbourne?

USAC (< think they still run indy500) or Indycar itself should think about making fins mandatory...at least maybe for next year.

Some fast laps this year, 231mph running alone and 236mph!!! in tows. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Seems like Hinch's injuries were very much life threatening in that wreck yesterday.

"Hinchcliffe had the steel wishbone enter and exit his right leg, then enter his upper left thigh, and continue into his pelvic region before it came to a stop."

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/116939-indy-500-hinchcliffe-saved-from-serious-injuries

Will be out for some time. Horrific stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

I've been watching Indy 500 reruns on ESPN Classic all week, very entertaining them. It's clear that while I n the last 40 years the cars have gotten a (little) faster and the rules have been tweaked in minor ways the race remains the very same.

It's a beast of a race, 500 miles at an average speed in excess of 200mph with up to 10 pit stops. Make a small mistake, you're in the wall and your race is over. You need an error free and mechanically perfect race to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Like TK said in an interview I saw, if he thinks its safe enough he will accept the known dangers that will always be part of the sport.

Maybe the accidents so far have been accentuated because the cars have flipped but its still mechanical issues that have caused most of them.

Hoping its another classic and they all come home.

• Advertisement

I've been watching Indy 500 reruns on ESPN Classic all week, very entertaining them. It's clear that while I n the last 40 years the cars have gotten a (little) faster and the rules have been tweaked in minor ways the race remains the very same.

It's a beast of a race, 500 miles at an average speed in excess of 200mph with up to 10 pit stops. Make a small mistake, you're in the wall and your race is over. You need an error free and mechanically perfect race to win it.
    Times like these I really miss having pay-tv. :P

500 starts at the top of the hour. Pre-race on ESPN right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Conor Daly on fire, that's a pity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Conor Daly out already and Tags car not looking too healthy - Chevy seem to have an advantage over Honda

Sato and Karem also both out after a lap!

Edit: Sato is back out albeit 2 laps down ,Tags has also got going

They had the heart-rate monitor on Karam for the race, would be interesting to see the reading off it!

Jaysus, US ads are terrible...

Now Montoya in trouble and has to go around again.

And there goes the body-work

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Jaysus, US ads are terrible...

Now Montoya in trouble and has to go around again.

And there goes the body-work

Don't know why ESPN don't do what Setanta do and maintain video during the US ad breaks

Infoanon wrote: »
    Don't know why ESPN don't do what Setanta do and maintain video during the US ad breaks

On the other hand, I am now aware that this exists:

CD3y-LYWYAA7NQ9.png:large

:eek:

Any streams handy?

• Advertisement

Any streams handy?

Can we provide direct? I got mine from
    firstrow

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

That was a nasty pitlane incident, three crew people hit and still attending one on the ground.

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Can we provide direct?

Nope. :P What channel is it on?

Love the difference in throttle-usage between the drivers.

Never spotted the pit lane incident

Big crash between Hawk, Saavedra and Coletti.

Using a friend's phone for internet and it died at a most inopportune time...

349858.png

Everyone alright I'm guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

JPM for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

That was a great final 16 laps after that safety car.

Delighted for Montoya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Last to first. fair play JPM, think Wilson mightve helped a little on the back straight.

Advertisement