Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If you could make a sleeper

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

cronin_j wrote: »
    K20 Honda Type R engine conversion to an old school mini. Take out the glass and replace it with lightweight glass. Remove and weight items like aircom etc. Upgrade the brakes and suspension to handle the new power and away I go.

Not a type-R but still looks like fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Would love a Nissan Patrol like this, it would be some craic down the mart. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

have to stick in the transit with the xj220 engine....

jaguar-xj220-ford-transit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Corolla estate with a 20V 4A-GE in it. Fairly mild but would frighten a few people :D Or what would be even better but a lot more work would be the same estate with Celica GT-4 running gear :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Corolla estate with a 20V 4A-GE in it. Fairly mild but would frighten a few people :D Or what would be even better but a lot more work would be the same estate with Celica GT-4 running gear :cool:

Fensport did a few projects in a similar vein.

http://www.fensport.co.uk/fensportcars/corolla_sr.aspx
    http://www.fensport.co.uk/fensportcars/corolla_gt4.aspx

Great sleeper potential in Toyota & Nissan since most of their recent stuff has been fairly tepid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

tossy wrote: »
    Why not just turbo a regular Vr6 then,rather than running an R32 by making it look not like an R32 :confused::D

Better base to start off with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

An actual sleeper in Ireland? It'd have to be a stock-looking Qashqai with a GT-R engine. Baby on board sticker on the back, and Disney sunshades on the windows to complete the look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Wossack wrote: »
    something based on a tiida - so when you destroy some poor unfortunate at the lights, issue with the build.ou crush their very being

Was just about to post a tiida shell stuck on a R35 chassis. The project would hinge on can you get steelies to fit an R35 hub :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Interslice wrote: »
    Was just about to post a tiida shell stuck on a R35 chassis. The project would hinge on can you get steelies to fit an R35 hub :pac:
    Inboard discs and fit nissan march 12inch steelies :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

E60 535d with a heavily modified block, remapped to put out 360bhp or so and a 520d badge to top it all off :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Joe 90

cronin_j wrote: »
    K20 Honda Type R engine conversion to an old school mini. Take out the glass and replace it with lightweight glass. Remove and weight items like aircom etc. Upgrade the brakes and suspension to handle the new power and away I go.
    What aircon?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Joe 90

davycc wrote: »
    Sure what's the worse that could happen? Lol
    She might want to use my Exige instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭bman1

Often thought about a sleeper car but on a serious note the only thing that really springs to mind is sumthing with a Volvo t5, tuned a bit, debadged. Average person on the street couldn't tell the difference between a t5 or a 2.0d. Say an s40 or v50. Standard looking cars really I suppose. Most of the suggestions so far are kinda jokey ones or mad conversions which cost big bucks, which is grand obviously!
    But genuine sleepers I can't think of too many factory cars, say no engine conversions etc
    Ps I know the OP said about common sense and stuff not coming into it, just thinking a t5 is a realistic option, if sumone really wanted to go down that route. I know I would if the funds were there !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

Sobanek wrote: »
    E60 535d with a heavily modified block, remapped to put out 360bhp or so and a 520d badge to top it all off :D

When i think of sleeper and diesel i think of zzzzzz's lol you could make any sleeper you want and you choose a diesel ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

bman1 wrote: »
    Often thought about a sleeper car but on a serious note the only thing that really springs to mind is sumthing with a Volvo t5, tuned a bit, debadged. Average person on the street couldn't tell the difference between a t5 or a 2.0d. Say an s40 or v50. Standard looking cars really I suppose. Most of the suggestions so far are kinda jokey ones or mad conversions which cost big bucks, which is grand obviously!
    But genuine sleepers I can't think of too many factory cars, say no engine conversions etc
    Ps I know the OP said about common sense and stuff not coming into it, just thinking a t5 is a realistic option, if sumone really wanted to go down that route. I know I would if the funds were there !

Volvo he says....

When i think of sleeper and diesel i think of zzzzzz's lol you could make any sleeper you want and you choose a diesel ? :D

You bet your life I'd make a diesel sleeper and don't forget it ;)

Or a favourite of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Funny t5's came up I saw this on dd and came to post before reading that! Ultimate sleeper.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/8691413
    Volvo S70 T5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I reckon this is a bit beyond sleeper,
    http://www.driving.co.uk/news/guy-martin-on-his-volvo-fastest-car-in-britain/

It's guy martins insane Volvo,
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g7QKxcH4DFw

Edit: video won't play when I embed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Something Gaelic. Peugeot 405/406 towbar hdi badge with the engine that was in the orginal French version of taxi. Now that's a sleeper that would fit in well in the west of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

bman1 wrote: »

T5 would be a fairly cheap option I should think.
    I've always had a hankering for an 850 T5-R.
    I was at a ploughing match donkeys years ago a a kid and asked the guy at the Volvo stand for a brochure for one, they didn't have one but they posted it to me a few days later. Which was epic! Maybe that's part of why I like Volvos.

For stealthy hooning I would like one of these with an electric butterfly valve in the exhaust.
    It's not fast enough to be "that" kind of sleeper but still..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I had a 850 t5 manual estate in stealthy dark green and it went well and sounded great and never got a second look from the cops / joyriders which suited me nicely :-)

Didn't keep it long enough to play around with remapped ECU etc.
    For shame!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You've clearly never been in one. A 535d is not a slouch and the remap / torque potential is insane.

http://www.bmw535d.co.uk/id11.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

ironclaw wrote: »
    You've clearly never been in one. A 535d is not a slouch and the remap / torque potential is insane.

http://www.bmw535d.co.uk/id11.html

Oh here we go! :rolleyes:

I've nothing against diesel 'sleepers' even though when i think diesel and sleeper i normally think camper van :D

The idea (or so i thought) of this thread was you could make any sleeper money/time no object what would it be... If you could have or make anything why would you choose diesel?

Also a an E60 isn't really sleeper material as most people will expect it to be 'fhest' a 520d is fast to most people, a sleeper should be something bland or something people don't expect to be fast.

Like say a 89 KY reg'd 4 door mk2 golf with 4wd and a turbo'd 3.2 Vr6 on board putting out over 500 bhp, that's the best sleeper i've ever seen.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd put an e46 M3 block in my yoke. Upgrade the brakes to the same level, brace the body as much as possible while still leaving it stock in the passenger compartment. Done.

And I guess, as this is a money is no object situation, popping a supercharger in for the laugh would be good too!

Leave it badged the same, and have a butterfly valve on the exhaust so it can be very quiet most of the time. And loud for hooning around!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I got to sit in dubsports twin vr6 engine, twin turbo 4wd, stripped out drag racer.. Shame it was bright blue with giant Porsche alloys!

Would have been a great sleeper with a standard bodywork and some steel wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

JPF82 wrote: »
    An Audi RS4 with a 1.9 tdi engine in it....

Seriously though, a standard looking Audi A4 with diesel badges but with a proper RS4 engine and running gear. The total opposite of felt spec.

This was exactly what I was going to write as soon I saw this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The12thMan

simple, 2014 Audi Rs6 avant

remove the Rs6 badge...

result

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Why build it when you can buy an MV6 omega?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I think any of the 5 Series V8 Petrols with a 518D badge would do wonders, 550i :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

OSI wrote: »
    I don't think BMWs or Audis work particularly well as sleepers. Most people expect you to be driving like you own the road anyway :P

Thats fair :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement