Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you pay to change your appearance?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No
    Going ahead with it Fri week

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

No
    My parents paid for braces for me as a teenager.
    I pay a monthly gym fee and tbh, while I know exercise is good for me, my primary motivation is to look better.

I couldn't see myself ever paying for lipo, hair implants etc. but as others have said, you're getting "corrective" rather than "cosmetic" surgery imo and I'd probably do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Daith

I was quoted €2000 to get work done on teeth. It's not essential but I think it could be worth it so I'd smile more.

I was going to get braces a couple of years back because I have a gap in my front teeth which I would have liked closed up. I had been thinking about it for quite some time before I actually started saying it out loud. Once I started telling people I was thinking about it, they were all shocked. I never realised that people loved my tooth gap so much. Was weird. Never did get braces in the end.

I would get "work" done if I had the balls to undergo major surgery and money was no object. I'd get liposuction.

I wouldn't touch my face though, only because I'd be afraid of it going horribly wrong and not being able to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

I'll be paying about 7 euro or so to get a haircut soon.

Jesus I pay more than that to get the dogs haircut!! :eek: Trainee barber??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

No
    I spent a fortune on my teeth because it was something I wanted to do for myself. The hassle and money was a nightmare but it was worth it. Now everyone says I have a lovely smile even though it was never about other people. I would like breast surgery and liposuction and lip enhancement and maybe botox.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Once I started telling people I was thinking about it, they were all shocked. I never realised that people loved my tooth gap so much.
    Here's why:

http://csis.pace.edu/grendel/projf983a/charac.htm
    [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Chaucer discusses his words to describe the Wife quite distinctly. His descriptions of her facial and bodily features are sexually suggestive. The features that Chaucer pays attention to describing Alison should be noticed. In the “General Prologue,” Chaucer's description involves her physical appearance describing her clothes, legs, feet, hips, and most importantly her gap-tooth, which during that time (according to The Wife), symbolized sensuality and lust. [/FONT]

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wouldn't touch my face though, only because I'd be afraid of it going horribly wrong and not being able to cover it.

A paper bag would do the job surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If I ever go bald and I had the money I would consider getting a hair transplant. I shaved my hair about eighteen years ago and discovered I had these weird ridges in my head. Apart from the fact that this is a black man my head looked almost exactly like this.

I haven't had my hair that short since but I know my head is still the same shape. The time I shaved my hair I was so embarrassed I wore a hat for a couple of months. I dread the idea of looking like that for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I honestly don't think it can get any bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I said no because I took it that the spirit of the question meant undertaking surgery for no reason other than vanity, but the true answer would be more nuanced and the poll options don't allow for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

No
    Don't most people pay to change their appearance?

Haircuts / hair styling / dying etc.

Getting their eyebrows done.

False eyelashes.

Make-up.

Manicures / getting their nails done

Slimming pants.

Etc.

osarusan wrote: »

Sure isn't that mad altogether. Big lustful head on me.
    A paper bag would do the job surely.

I keep cutting the eye holes out in the wrong place :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I keep cutting the eye holes out in the wrong place :(

You only need one hole really, for the mouth.

(For eating!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

No
    Sure I would. Why not. Shave me face rather than 'being comfortable in my natural self' and growing a Jesus beard. Razors ain't free. Do it and always have because other people find it more attractive primarily. Is that vanity? Don't give a sh1t. Have always kept myself reasonably fit and trim. Health was always a secondary motivation. Just wanted to look good naked. Thankfully that one comes free but I'd pay for it if I had to.

If there was something physical about me I felt was holding me back in the handsomeness stakes and cosmetic surgery was all that could sort it out and I had the cash to splash I'd be straight in. It's nice to be handsome, lots of people want to have sex with you, you feel good about yourself, it's nice (so I hear in anyway). Money well spent I'd consider it.

Good luck with the surgery Efb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I've had cosmetic surgery. I had LASIK done on my eyes to correct my vision and apparently, that is classified as cosmetic surgery by insurance companies so that it's entirely out of pocket. It was worth it though.

I don't feel a pressing need to change anything about my body for aesthetic reasons at the moment, but I can understand the appeal of face lifts and botox as you age. I'm not sure I'd go for it, but I understand why people do. If something about your appearance is really affecting your confidence and you can have it altered, I don't see the harm.

Funny enough, the one surgery I'd consider is a new one that uses lasers to change brown eyes blue. Ever since I was a kid, I've wanted light eyes and since I've already had laser surgery on my eyes, I'm not afraid of the procedure. But I'm in my mid 30s now, and kind of like, eh I've had my brown eyes this long and they haven't held me back. So I'm not sure I'll think it a worthy use of money once it comes around. If I was 10 years younger though, I'd be all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

No
    It's the only thing I really spend money on for myself. My right arm so far has cost 3500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Depends. I clicked "no" automatically because I like how I look but then I remembered I paid for braces to straighten my teeth, I buy contact lenses so I don't have to always wear glasses etc. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

No
    It's the only thing I really spend money on for myself. My right arm so far has cost 3500.

Tats?

Or we talking extra boobs on your arms?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

No
    hair transplant in a heartbeat if i had the money for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

No
    strobe wrote: »
    Tats?

Or we talking extra boobs on your arms?

Boobs. Sure I'd be mad not to.

(Tattoos)

I've wanted light eyes and since I've already had laser surgery on my eyes, I'm not afraid of the procedure. But I'm in my mid 30s now, and kind of like, eh I've had my brown eyes this long and they haven't held me back. So I'm not sure I'll think it a worthy use of money once it comes around. If I was 10 years younger though, I'd be all over it.

Can you actually change your eye colour??

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I can't say there's anything about my appearance that bothers me really, at the risk of sounding egotistical, I find myself quite attractive. Only thing I'd really want to do to improve myself is improve my body, and even then, I'd just like to cut a small bit of fat and gain a bit of muscle so I'd have more definition. Although, I have had a small bit of cosmetic dentistry for a slightly chipped tooth, I suppose that would count. Though, I have no problem with cosmetic surgery, provided someone isn't going to overdo it and look like a barbie doll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

If money was no subject I would probably get the laser eye treatment and get a few moles removed. Probably get the back of the neck lasered too... But nothing else - I dont think....definitely not...maybe...perhaps....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Can you actually change your eye colour??

There's a laser surgery being pioneered that would specifically change brown eyes to blue eyes. From what I know, that's as far as they've gotten. They can't turn blue eyes green or green eyes brown - just brown to blue.

http://www.techly.com.au/2014/12/03/want-change-eye-colour-brown-blue-possible-via-laser/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'm actually all for plastic surgery for cosmetic reasons if that's what will make you happy. Huge snozz? Ears like the McCarthy cup? Just get them fixed. Who cares what anyone else thinks. It's your money so spend it how you want.

If you're in the body dysmorphia category cosmetic surgery won't help but if your boobs can be tucked into your waistband and you want them done then go for it.

I'm not a believer in putting up with things that make you unhappy just because you're worried about what other people will think/say.

No
    If money was no subject I would probably get the laser eye treatment and get a few moles removed. Probably get the back of the neck lasered too... But nothing else - I dont think....definitely not...maybe...perhaps....
    What's wrong with the back of your neck?

No
    There's a laser surgery being pioneered that would specifically change brown eyes to blue eyes. From what I know, that's as far as they've gotten. They can't turn blue eyes green or green eyes brown - just brown to blue.

http://www.techly.com.au/2014/12/03/want-change-eye-colour-brown-blue-possible-via-laser/

Just get coloured lenses like. Going this far is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

eternal wrote: »
    What's wrong with the back of your neck?

Fluff just below the hair line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It depends really on what I'd be prepared to live with. If something bothered me enough to want to get something done about it then of course I'd pay whatever amount of money would be necessary to correct the issue, be it a medical or cosmetic procedure.

A mate of mine pays about €3k a year for his glass eye and I used think it was crazy money until he showed me the eye socket without the glass eye... yep, definitely looked better with the glass eye in! :D

Advertisement