Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in an apartment

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The first post says pets are against the rules and the op's posts in other threads quoted confirm the dog is retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

I dare say that if there is a no pets type of clause in the owner's agreement with the management company then properties in the estate are devalued.

On my estate, houses and blocks of apartments, dogs are not allowed in apartments but are in the houses. However, all dogs when outside of their property must be on a leash. This rule is strictly enforced by our managing agents who visit the estate on a daily basis and also review every morning all CCTV.

If any dogs are found "roaming" around the estate, it only needs a phone call to the local council's "dog catcher".

Currently there are two tenants who have been warned that they must get rid of their dogs or be evicted.

The dog warden was rang before about 2 dogs in our estate, we were informed "as we were a privately managed estate it was none of their concern and to inform our management company"
    This is in Offaly,

• Registered Users Posts: 21 maglez81

athtrasna wrote: »
    The first post says pets are against the rules and the op's posts in other threads quoted confirm the dog is retired.

It's not active as service dog, because I don't have time (I have just had a baby).

I don't have any confirmation about the rules from the Managment Company still.

maglez81 wrote: »
    It's not active as service dog, because I don't have time (I have just had a baby).

I don't have any confirmation about the rules from the Managment Company still.

The thing is, you're not entitled to any contact from the management company, you are an ordinary member of the public. You are already aware of the rules, and are trying to circumvent them. The MC are perfectly entitled not to enter discussions with you but to pursue you should you purchase and then proceed to breach the legally binding documents you sign at purchase in which you state that you will comply with the development rules.

Again I say the best thing for everyone is for you to find a development that permits pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

If the M.C hasn't been in touch or replied to you and you've seen dogs/animals in the place how do you know they are not allowed, If you do buy the place Then they inform you there is "no pets" who failed in their duty?
    I was given a book of rules before I bought my apartment, my solicitor got them form the M.C before I put pen to paper. also covered satellite dishes, shaking rugs off balconies, wooden floors and tiles. So it IS up to the M.C to provide you with information before you buy, to help you avoid this exact situation.

• Advertisement

selous wrote: »
    If the M.C hasn't been in touch or replied to you and you've seen dogs/animals in the place how do you know they are not allowed, If you do buy the place Then they inform you there is "no pets" who failed in their duty?
    I was given a book of rules before I bought my apartment, my solicitor got them form the M.C before I put pen to paper. also covered satellite dishes, shaking rugs off balconies, wooden floors and tiles. So it IS up to the M.C to provide you with information before you buy, to help you avoid this exact situation.

The OP has already stated that they saw development rules posted in a common area. Beyond that it will feature in the contracts provided. It's not up to the MC to enter into correspondence with a non member other than to furnish contracts which include all binding clauses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

The OP has already stated that they saw development rules posted in a common area. Beyond that it will feature in the contracts provided. It's not up to the MC to enter into correspondence with a non member other than to furnish contracts which include all binding clauses.

Could you show where that was said, I genuinely don't see it?

It'd be absolutely nonsense for rules NOT to be furnished and then action taken because soneone had broken rules that they were unaware of! Of course it's up to the MC to provide this info via solicitors. It's just silly to think it wouldn't be.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Could you show where that was said, I genuinely don't see it?

It'd be absolutely nonsense for rules NOT to be furnished and then action taken because soneone had broken rules that they were unaware of! Of course it's up to the MC to provide this info via solicitors. It's just silly to think it wouldn't be.

Original post. The rules are also included in the contract which is provided to a purchaser's solicitor.
    Hi all,
    I'm going to buy an apartment where the rules says pet is not permitted.

Original post. The rules are also included in the contract which is provided to a purchaser's solicitor.

Sorry but that's not true, I have seen the rules in the canvas, where I could see the hypothetical Management Company. I say hypothetical because when I called them they told me that they aren't the current MC.

The rules hasn't provided to purchaser's solicitor still.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The rules hasn't provided to purchaser's solicitor still.
    There are standard forms used by solicitors in relation to the purchase of apartments. They are referred to as pre-contract queries, and the idea is that if anything is not satisfactory to the purchaser, the deal can be called off before legally-binding documents are signed.

One of the standard questions is:
    6.a. Are there rules of the Management Company other than as set out in the Memorandum and Articles of Association.
    b. If so furnish now details of those riles.
    There questions are asked by your solicitor of the vendor's solicitor. So that is where you should get your answer.

As matter of interest, I have on my desk the rules of a particular apartment development. One rule is
    No animal, bird or domestic pet that is likely to cause nuisance to other residents is allowed to be kept in your apartment.
    To my mind, that is not a blanket prohibition, and a case could reasonably be made that a suitably-trained dog should be allowed.

• Advertisement

I have the pleasure to have a resolution from the Management Company:
    As your pet is a therapy/service dog then you may have permission for the dog to be on the premises. Please be advised that you must keep your pet on a leash and clean up after your pet at all times in the development. Please note, should your dog cause any disturbance the Management Company have the right to review the situation.

Should you have any queries in relation to the above please do not hesitate in contacting me. Have a great weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement