Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in an apartment

Options
  • 11-02-2015 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

I'm not sure if that's the right thread.

I'm going to buy an apartment where the rules says pet is not permitted. I have a dog, it's a therapy/services dog, trained and he has always lived in apartments. I have tried to know if the dog could be in my new home. As well we are going to buy a ground floor, so we aren't going to use the common area as lift, as stairs or carpets. There are a lot of apartments and houses where pets is allow in this area. Normally the rules are: pets must be supervised at all time and do not cause damage to common areas, with the exception that no pets are permitted if they cause annoyance or nuisance to fellow residents.

Also I don't have any reply from the Management Company when I have tried to know more information about the rules.

In the worst case, if I would ignore the rules, What's the Worst That Could Happen? Could they remove my dog? is that legal?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,
    Miguel

PS: Sorry if I have duplicated the post. I posted the same in Animals & Pet Issues

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

maglez81 wrote: »
    In the worst case, if I would ignore the rules, What's the Worst That Could Happen? Could they remove my dog? is that legal?
    As posted on the other thread, they cannot forcibly remove your dog. However they can impose financial penalties on you for breaching the house rules.

In a very extreme case, they could attempt to get a court order requiring you to get rid of the dog. That would only be granted in very select circumstances though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,720 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm trying very hard to be polite here:

Why would you buy an apartment knowing that one of the things you want for your life (presumably it's non-negotiable for you) is not allowed in it?

Why not just make life easier for everyone, and buy a different apartment, given that "There are a lot of apartments and houses where pets is allow in this area"?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 maglez81

I'm trying very hard to be polite here:

Why would you buy an apartment knowing that one of the things you want for your life (presumably it's non-negotiable for you) is not allowed in it?

Why not just make life easier for everyone, and buy a different apartment, given that "There are a lot of apartments and houses where pets is allow in this area"?

Because I didn't know at first moment this rule. There are a lot of apartments, but it's not easy to find an apartment with a good price, situation and comfortable.

Also, because I didn't think that my dog would be a problem in a build where there are 6 apartments and it's an area with a lot of dogs, I live currently at 1 km. from the new apartment, it's a build where the rules not permit if they cause annoyance or nuisance to fellow residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Because I didn't know at first moment this rule. There are a lot of apartments, but it's not easy to find an apartment with a good price, situation and comfortable.

Also, because I didn't think that my dog would be a problem in a build where there are 6 apartments and it's an area with a lot of dogs, I live currently at 1 km. from the new apartment, it's a build where the rules not permit if they cause annoyance or nuisance to fellow residents.

To be honest, most apartment blocks do not permit pets, so I would always go on the basis that it would be a problem.

Saying that, some places do overlook this, provided the pet is not a nuisance, but I would not assume this to be the case, particularly if it is an animal that you will be relying on day to day.

I would definitely not ignore the rules, Try and get in contact with the management. Bear in mind, the rules are effectively enforced by the residents, so they may agree to allow an aberration for you. If you "sneak" the dog in, some resident may complain out of principle. I am assuming as it's is a service/therapy dog, that it is a medium/large dog, and not a little lap dog, so the chances of complaints could be higher - regardless of whether the dog is actually being a nuisance. Ironically, as it is a therapy dog, I presume it is properly trained and would cause a lot less nuisance than my little furry baby, but unfortunately, people may perceive differently.

I have tried to contact with the management or block management without successful. I could contact with the letting team, but they are not sure about the rules.

The provide me a arrangement company, but when I contacted them they told me they are not the Property Managers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

How do people manage to have dogs in other countries' cities where apartments(and not ****ey 3-bed semis) are the norm?

MrMorooka wrote: »
    How do people manage to have dogs in other countries' cities where apartments(and not ****ey 3-bed semis) are the norm?

Not relevant. The OP is looking to buy an apartment in Ireland where the norm is not to have pets in apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 coffeeaddict

Part of being a responsible dog owner is finding somewhere they are accepted,

You just cannot move in and hope for the best,

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

I have tried to contact with the management or block management without successful. I could contact with the letting team, but they are not sure about the rules.

The provide me a arrangement company, but when I contacted them they told me they are not the Property Managers

Are you buying or renting

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭chickenlicken2

There is probably a management company in the development. Go to cro.ie and put in the name of the company and you'll get the details. You would get details of the registered office from the company details. You can get names of directors, company secretary and possibly management agent from the submitted documents.
    Write to them probably by registered post stating you are looking to purchase an apartment and explain the situation with the dog and ask for a written reply confirming if you would be able to live there with the dog.
    It would be foolhardy to purchase first act later.

• Advertisement

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Are you buying or renting

I'm buying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dogs- are not allowed in apartments, period.
    If you wish to have one live with you- e.g. if it is a therapy or a guide dog- get a letter from the Management Company- not the Management Agent- which stated unequivocally that your dog is allowed. Do not make any presumptions. Do not buy the property without an official letter from the Management Company- stating explicitly, that your dog is allowed.

Until such time as you have this letter- do not make an offer on the property- keep looking elsewhere.

For the record- I'm not sure what you have been told- but dogs are almost 100% across the board- barred from apartments in Ireland- if people have told you otherwise- they are talking through their hats.

Do you really want to buy an apartment and risk pissing off your neighbours straight away, who you will potentially be living beside for years.

I don't want to have any problem with my neighbors, I'm trying to resolve and get more information about the pets rules. However It's really difficult because I don't have any reply from the Management Company. I'm trying to cooperate and to be a good neighbor as you can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Plenty of dogs in council apartments judging from the ****e around the likes of Erne St. One rule for them, another for those buying and renting in the open market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

If you require a dog due to disability you can't be discriminated against.
    I would speak with a relevant support organisation for advice.

If it's not a disability then it's not discrimination to disallow the dog

No you are trying to find out if they can take your dog from you if you move in with the dog no matter the rules.

You have shown no consideration for you potential neighbours in this.

If you wish to have one live with you- e.g. if it is a therapy or a guide dog- get a letter from the Management Company- not the Management Agent- which stated unequivocally that your dog is allowed. Do not make any presumptions. Do not buy the property without an official letter from the Management Company- stating explicitly, that your dog is allowed.

Until such time as you have this letter- do not make an offer on the property- keep looking elsewhere.

For the record- I'm not sure what you have been told- but dogs are almost 100% across the board- barred from apartments in Ireland- if people have told you otherwise- they are talking through their hats.

The complex I own an apartment in does not have a rule about pets.

Just saying! They might not be the norm, but the do exist.

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    No you are trying to find out if they can take your dog from you if you move in with the dog no matter the rules.

You have shown no consideration for you potential neighbours in this.

If my dog would be a dangerous dog or problematic dog that every moment is barking, I would not move to an apartment where the pets are not allow, but it's not my case. My dog is a quite dog where my current neighbors are really happy with him.

Yes but there are 5 other apartments of people living there, who so far are happy with the no pet rule or they wouldnt have the rule. It doesnt matter how good your dog is.

• Advertisement

However It's really difficult because I don't have any reply from the Management Company. I'm trying to cooperate and to be a good neighbor as you can see.

What steps have you taken to contact the management company?

What steps have you taken to contact the management company?

As I could see on canvas for the rules house. The company should be: Irish Estates (Management) Ltd email or Sherry FitzGerald Lettings.

I contacted them and they told me the management agents are: Strathmore Ivernia Ltd.

When I contacted Strathmore Ivernia Ltd. they told me that they are not the Property Managers. So I contacted Sherry FitzGeral again. They give me a phone number from the Block Managment 01-2461111, however they told me the same, they aren't and the given me a new phone number: 018715400. This number is from Irish Estates (Management).

My solicitor is trying to have more information as well... I'm waiting from 2 weeks ago any update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

If my dog would be a dangerous dog or problematic dog that every moment is barking, I would not move to an apartment where the pets are not allow, but it's not my case. My dog is a quite dog where my current neighbors are really happy with him.

Thats irrelevant. ive been to plenty of houses where there's a very angry, snarling hair standing on his cockles bloodshoot eyed little monster of a dog who the owners say "don't mind him, hes a complete pet!"

(FYI - im not against dogs, Ive had one before & Il have one again. im just looking at this from a more objective POV).

If you NEED this dog for health reasons, the likelyhood is you will get your way if you press the issue enough, but you will also raise bad blood between you, your neighbours and the management company.

You NEED to talk to the management company, even if that means calling to their office in person, and consult with a solicitor to find out what your rights are, in case the management company push back on you.

I would just like to point out I have 3 dogs so I am definitly not against dogs, but I would never try to move somewhere, where there was a rule saying no pets as it could only lead to trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

I've seen apartment blocks in Dublin with dogs living in them. I lived there.

Irrelevant. Rules are rules. You will find that the block will also have rules around, say, hanging clothes out the window. Is it ok to flaunt those rules for designer clothes? No.

In fact, with a smaller block, I suspect it will likely be mostly owner occupiers who will be more likely to enforce the agreed rules.

Get permission before moving your dog in.

daUbiq wrote: »
    I've seen apartment blocks in Dublin with dogs living in them. I lived there.

There's a cat & a dog in two seperate apartments in my building. The building rules still clearly state that no animals are allowed.

I wouldnt report it as neither have been the slightest bit of bother but it just takes one resident to lodge a complaint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I live in an apartment block and lots of people have dogs. And cats.

As far as I can tell the management company of which I am a member as an owner have no real teeth. They won't do anything about serious problems because court dates cost money. So they're highly unlikely to get excited about a pet.

As I could see on canvas for the rules house. The company should be: Irish Estates (Management) Ltd email or Sherry FitzGerald Lettings.

I contacted them and they told me the management agents are: Strathmore Ivernia Ltd.

When I contacted Strathmore Ivernia Ltd. they told me that they are not the Property Managers. So I contacted Sherry FitzGeral again. They give me a phone number from the Block Managment 01-2461111, however they told me the same, they aren't and the given me a new phone number: 018715400. This number is from Irish Estates (Management).

My solicitor is trying to have more information as well... I'm waiting from 2 weeks ago any update.

Seriously you need to contact the management company. Not the letting agent. Not the auctioneer. Not the property management company.

Put the name of the estate into company search on the cro site. Quite often the management company will hold the name of the complex. Say PinkRose housing estate will be called Pinkrose management company Ltd.

Alternatively the solicitor should be able to confirm the name as they will be party to the title deeds.

Once you have the company name you have the registered address straight away on the cro site. You can get the directors and secretary details from the filed documents accounts or B10.

Send a registered letter to the directors and the secretary of the management company clearly and concisely setting out your position and ask them to confirm if the dog will be allowed.

• Advertisement

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I live in an apartment block and lots of people have dogs. And cats.

As far as I can tell the management company of which I am a member as an owner have no real teeth. They won't do anything about serious problems because court dates cost money. So they're highly unlikely to get excited about a pet.

That sounds like an assumption. The OP needs to get a hard answer from the management company,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement