Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline Thread 11/02/2015 to date

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

what is on the placard between the "tele" and the "eireann"?
    LIES!
    No, it's the Water Four. Imprisoned for breaching a court order.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

snubbleste wrote: »
    LIES!
    No, it's the Water Four. Imprisoned for breaching a court order.

Is the fifth one still sunning himself abroad? (For health reasons, of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

So the whole hour on the dog murder at crufts maybe ?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

More nonsense from the nanny state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

More nonsense from the nanny state.

If it's nonsense, what's your problem with it being brought in anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

the_monkey wrote: »
    So the whole hour on the dog murder at crufts maybe ?

:p

Some of us don't find animal cruelty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

did anyone read Joes thread yesterday, bolded the relevant bits

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If its not going to have any impact on the number of smokers then what job losses is she thinking of?

I think its a good idea, I've seen mock ups of the new packets and I can't see many kids thinking they look cool and that can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

they will still need to be printed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Well the dog was an Irish setter, that's a tenuous enough link for Joe.

Yes, and it was a death. He could get the owner on to describe the whole process of how the dog died from the first hint of there being something wrong to the dog's final demise. He'd lap it up. He'd be like a dog with a bone, even if the owner found it a bit ruff and didn't think Joe was a chum.

• Advertisement

sorry I obviously don't know how to add bold

did anyone read Joes thread yesterday, bolded the relevant bits
    SoftMicro wrote: »

Then the conversation goes onto food. I tell her about Dublin coddle and she's saying she hasn't tried any Irish food because she works most days 10am - 10pm. So Cindy then offers 50% discount if i bring her some coddle at the next appointment. I was like yeah this is a bit surreal but **** it ok. Was there about an hour and she charged €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I don't understand all the pussyfooting about this issue. If smoking is as dangerous as everyone says, just ban the importation and sale of tobacco. It could be done at the stroke of a pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,955 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

An idea might be to have the newsagent give the smoker a talk similar to when your buying a pack of solpadeine.

Muffled sound
    Anyone else hear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,317 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I've no problem with changing the packs, but I cannot see it making one bit of difference. I agree with the nanny state part, we have to be first again to something like this.

If they are really serious , surely the logical step is to ban them completely ?

eviltwin wrote: »
    If its not going to have any impact on the number of smokers then what job losses is she thinking of?

Exactly. All these clowns saying its pointless and will make no difference, are also saying there'll be job losses as a result. It's either one or the other.

Token English man sticking his oar in.

M

A graphic of Michael Noonan smiling on the packs with the total amount of tax given to the government per pack might work best.

Idiot, it's trying to stop new smokers, not existing ones.

M

What if the packs were convertible so when they were opened the outside became the inside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dom Phil Cobe

eviltwin wrote: »

I think its a good idea, I've seen mock ups of the new packets and I can't see many kids thinking they look cool and that can only be a good thing.

But where will it stop ? will alcohol, fizzy drinks and sweets be in plain packaging next ?

• Advertisement

The worst thing they ever did was ban tobacco advertising, tobacco companies saved a fortune trying to out advertise one another

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I don't understand all the pussyfooting about this issue. If smoking is as dangerous as everyone says, just ban the importation and sale of tobacco. It could be done at the stroke of a pen.

Too much tax and duty for the government on it. Too much revenue to be lost on it. Anyway, not everything that kills people could be realistically banned. Cars kill people, but they won't be banned.

M

The counterfeit products might end up being harmful for your health :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Can't the manufacturers increase their exports of fags to Third World countries as the Irish market declines? Boost their profits and slows down overpopulation.

The worst thing they ever did was ban tobacco advertising, tobacco companies saved a fortune trying to out advertise one another
    Yeah, but they are losing a lot of new business because you cannot see the cigarette advertised. So the measure works

A senator & doctor on Liveline..

A graphic of Michael Noonan smiling on the packs with the total amount of tax given to the government per pack might work best.

They could stick Leo Varadkar on the back too. That would be terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

But where will it stop ? will alcohol, fizzy drinks and sweets be in plain packaging next ?

Alcohol, fizzy drinks and sweets are safe in moderation. Smoking isn't. Cigarettes are the only product legally on sale that will kill you if you use them as the manufacturers intend.

What if the packs were convertible so when they were opened the outside became the inside?
    Already done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

some do gooder on the Last Word last week wanted warning signs that alcohol is bad for you printed on to all the drinks glasses

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement