Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neill Blomkamp's Alien Sequel Concept

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

He is just going about this in a PC way so as to not hurt fans of everything we received after Aliens, though mostly not to offend and embarass studios execs that funded them and he no doubt bumps into.
    He is going to just make his movie take place after Aliens and make it as though it is 1988 and there never was a A3.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles ignored T3 and ended up being one of the best things that series has ever produced and was in the spirit and tone of T1/T2 and expanded it in the right ways. Comparable to BSG as one of the best sci-fi's series of the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Belial

Tony EH wrote: »
    ...and almost all of them are crap.

That might be relevant if the broad consensus on Aliens 3, 4, AvP, AvP 2 & Prometheus wasn't also that they are lacklustre/crap.

There's nothing at risk here.

He's not disregarding any treasured continuity, only a continuity that people have done nothing but whinge about for 20+ years. And now they're whinging about this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

This is stupid idea.

Newt and Hicks are dead. Get over it FFS.

Also, why the hell does Sigourney Weaver HAVE to be in every bloody aliens film? If ever there was a franchise that didn't need a central star it's the Aliens franchise.
    Haha Tony, Blomcamp is going to make our sequel film. It's going to be super awesome, much better than your favourite ...Fincher's version, you get over it! :pac:
    You'lll get a new Ripley on the reboot in a few years, you won't like that either though will you? Do something different then I hear you say..they did Tony, they did....it's called Prometheus, hope you enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

An example would be Evil Dead 2 being a redone version of Evil Dead 1.

Evil Dead 2 is a proper sequel to Evil Dead, not a remake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Wasn't James Cameron was supposed to write and direct and produce and Ridley Scott to produce an Alien 5 with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sigourney Weaver as co leads

http://celluloidandcigaretteburns.blogspot.ie/2012/06/james-cameron-wanted-to-direct-alien-5.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Haha Tony, Blomcamp is going to make our sequel film. It's going to be super awesome, much better than your favourite ...Fincher's version, you get over it! :pac:
    You'lll get a new Ripley on the reboot in a few years, you won't like that either though will you? Do something different then I hear you say..they did Tony, they did....it's called Prometheus, hope you enjoy!

And that was a bucket of shite too.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Evil Dead 2 is a proper sequel to Evil Dead, not a remake.

I disagree, its a retelling with different events to the first. Thats why things from the first film never happened, for example all of Ashes friends from the first never existed anymore also ash did not know there was a creature down the cellar door even though he had experienced it already in Evil Dead 1.

They basically retcon the entire first film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I disagree, its a retelling with different events to the first. Thats why things from the first film never happened, for example all of Ashes friends from the first never existed anymore also ash did not know there was a creature down the cellar door even though he had experienced it already in Evil Dead 1.

They basically retcon the entire first film.

Well, you're wrong. They weren't able to use any footage from the first film to recap for the start of the second, so they reshot a simpler recap and went from there.. Evil Dead 2 starts with Ash flying through the air and hitting the tree, which happens because he's attacked at the very end of the first film (the chasecam through the cabin)

Sam Raimi has stated it's a sequel, not a remake, so there isn't really any way to argue otherwise, unless you want to say that's your opinion...

Actually, I'm pretty sure he says different on the DVD commentary track. Not sure though. 'Evil Dead II' had more to do with Raimi losing the rights to the first picture and doing the second to make a few bob and "do it right" as it were.

It works out as sort of a remake and a sequel.

To me there's only on film in the franchise and that that's 'Evil Dead II'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Michael Biehn Confirmed For Blomkamp's Aliens
    Hicks' return is official

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=43742

I mean how could he say no :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At the risk of being captain contrarian, am I the only one disappointed by this news? The discussion here was made around the legitimacy of tinkering with a backstory, if it matters at all, yet to me retconning a character's death just for the fans feels cheap and a bit disrespectful to the existing narrative. It shouldn't matter how loved a character is, if they die in the fiction, they should stay dead imo. Anything else strays into the realm of comicbook fiction writing *shudder*

Now, Hicks' death has already been retconned in Aliens: Colonial Marines you might say, but holy jeepers it was laughably executed and more than a bit fan-fiction'ish.

If anyone wants me, I'll be the grump in the corner :)

No Pixelburp your not the grump in the corner .

Everyone has there reservations about this movie , The concept is good but all will be in the execution .
    I feel it will probably just be on par with Alien3 and no better. too much time has passed and there will be too much CGI used. Neill Blomkamp seems to have great ideas but is not able polish them.

I do want to see it be made. but i am never going to disregard 3 and Resurrection . They are poor but part of my guilty pleasures :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If they do it right, i couldn't care less how the explain Hicks being alive. Hell, make Alien 3 and 4 be a bad dream for all i care :P

Kiith wrote: »
    If they do it right, i couldn't care less how the explain Hicks being alive. Hell, make Alien 3 and 4 be a bad dream for all i care :P

Great all I can see now is Bobby Ewing shower return ....it was all a bad dream .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Watched the four movies again over the paddys weekend. My first time watching the assembly cut of A3. I have to say its a MUCH better film than the theatrical cut. It would be an insult to the great performances in that film for it to be disregarded. Its a shame newt and hicks died but ffs its an alien film, everyone dies except Ripley, deal with it. Resurrection is like a comic book. Seems really out of place, sort of like a spinoff but sure feck it, it happened 200 years after A3 so it has no impact.

pixelburp wrote: »
    At the risk of being captain contrarian, am I the only one disappointed by this news? The discussion here was made around the legitimacy of tinkering with a backstory, if it matters at all, yet to me retconning a character's death just for the fans feels cheap and a bit disrespectful to the existing narrative. It shouldn't matter how loved a character is, if they die in the fiction, they should stay dead imo. Anything else strays into the realm of comicbook fiction writing *shudder*

Now, Hicks' death has already been retconned in Aliens: Colonial Marines you might say, but holy jeepers it was laughably executed and more than a bit fan-fiction'ish.

If anyone wants me, I'll be the grump in the corner :)

That feckin corner's taken, get lost! :P

No, I agree completely. I think this is stupid idea that stinks of nerddom over taking reality.

Hicks is dead. People die all the time. It's bloody ridiculous bringing back characters to squeeze money out of franchises (I'm looking at you Ripley as well :mad: ). Frankly the entire Aliens series should have died with 'Alien 3'.

I have no faith that this entry is going to be any use either. Blomkamp has one good film under his belt and that had some major flaws too and everything else he's done has the same feel to it. So, more than likely, we can expect 'District 9' or 'Elysium' with Xneomorphs, which doesn't fill me with much excitement, I have to say.

Kiith wrote: »

Ahem, that wouldn't be "doing it right".

Watched the four movies again over the paddys weekend. My first time watching the assembly cut of A3. I have to say its a MUCH better film than the theatrical cut. It would be an insult to the great performances in that film for it to be disregarded. Its a shame newt and hicks died but ffs its an alien film, everyone dies except Ripley, deal with it. Resurrection is like a comic book. Seems really out of place, sort of like a spinoff but sure feck it, it happened 200 years after A3 so it has no impact.

The "assembly cut" is the only way to watch 'Alien 3', which is a sorely underrated film IMHO, even in its original version. It really isn't half as bad as people make it out to be.

'Alien Resurrection' on the other hand is a steaming pile of pus that should never have seen the light of day. Even the AVP films were better than that nonsense. A terrible, terrible film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm thinking they should cast someone like Juno Temple as Newt, similar looks, and the character would be aged appropriately.

Alien 3 is actually a decent well aged movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Does anyone know whose writing the script?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Joeface wrote: »
    Michael Biehn Confirmed For Blomkamp's Aliens
    Hicks' return is official

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=43742

I mean how could he say no :D

Empire pulled that article as apparently the source was an unofficial social media of Michael Biehn's and not belonging to the man himself. Just shows how quickly a hoax can gain traction :)

I apologizes for my part in promoting it here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

pixelburp wrote: »
    to me retconning a character's death just for the fans feels cheap and a bit disrespectful to the existing narrative

I already had no respect for Alien Cubed, at least until later movies made it look better in retrospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

We all agree that Resurrection is awful, but can we all just acknowledge how fantastic that shot Ripley made with the basketball is?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The "assembly cut" is the only way to watch 'Alien 3', which is a sorely underrated film IMHO, even in its original version. It really isn't half as bad as people make it out to be.

'Alien Resurrection' on the other hand is a steaming pile of pus that should never have seen the light of day. Even the AVP films were better than that nonsense. A terrible, terrible film.

Never heard of the assembly cut, must give it a DL and a look, sounds very different.

As for todays new, excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Watched the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 last night, its a totally different movie.

Much more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Alien 3 was a well meaning attempt to return to the 'haunted house in space' premise the original movie was. It misjudged people's reaction to killing off Hicks and Newt, which took away from the heroics of Aliens.

This new movie is fan service taken to a new level, but also reinstates the opportunity get the franchise back on track after the slow decline that set in after Alien 3.

It's a brave decision to do this, but it also feels like the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Is there a difference between "Assembly cut" and "Directors" cut?

I've got the Alien Anthology on Bluray, not sure of top of my head what version is in it. But it contains Directors and Theatrical for all of them which you choose on the menu.

Oddly enough watched them all in sequence last year and only say Alien Directors cut for the first time and had some really good stuff.

So just wondering if there is yet ANOTHER Alien 3 version I havnt seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

TheDoc wrote: »
    Is there a difference between "Assembly cut" and "Directors" cut?

I've got the Alien Anthology on Bluray, not sure of top of my head what version is in it. But it contains Directors and Theatrical for all of them which you choose on the menu.

Oddly enough watched them all in sequence last year and only say Alien Directors cut for the first time and had some really good stuff.

So just wondering if there is yet ANOTHER Alien 3 version I havnt seen.

That set contains the 1992 Theatrical Version and the 2003 Special Edition (Restored Workprint Version). The 2003 version is commonly referred to as the "Assembly Cut".

Advertisement