Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News Talk Atheist discussion.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Isn't it supposed to be a news show not 'an evening with George Hook'

Nah, I think it's supposed to be an evening with George Hook. The news is incidental to the ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

News, comment and opinion. Especially opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,524 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mostly ads.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

At least he has seen the light in terms of the hereafter so all is not lost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Shrap wrote: »
    Here's the thing, I don't think he put the point across strongly enough that no actually, not everyone has heard those arguments. In fact most parents who sail blithely through the RCC system being cultural catholics, are ENTIRELY unaware that the months and months of time-wasting spent on their faith formation in the first communion/confirmation years are not actually on the curriculum. Those months are being taken away from their children's legitimate curricular studies, and children of other religions and non are at best twiddling their thumbs in school during those months and at worst required to go home or sit in a church not of their choosing.

There are SO many parents who haven't a notion about this. It's not a cliché at all.

Well the non Catholic kid's in my primary school in the late 70's early 80's did very well for themselves.

I'd be more worried about a parent who's too stringent on education to be honest.

When the other kid's are doing religion and the non religious are flicking through other books of interest like books about nature studies, ancient civilisations etc Such as the celts or greeks....

An extra hour of independence and a way to explore the unknown is far better than to have more work to do....

All depends on whether the non Catholic kid's are artistically creative or more academic. ....

iI'd opt for an hour's painting or reading about plant's and animals etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

At least he has seen the light in terms of the hereafter so all is not lost.

I heard he went back to Catholicism? :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

jank wrote: »
    I challenge people to listen to RTE's Late debate any day of the week and tell me there is not a soft left bias in irish media.
    Reality has a well-attested "left-wing" bias, at least as far as people who self-describe as right-wing are concerned, so yes, that's probably true.

Advertisement