Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uninsured driver

Options
  • 06-02-2015 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I was a uninsured driver in a accident totally the other drivers fault ( I know I should not have been on the road) but can I still claim? Any feed back welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Doubt it as your not legally on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Id say not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Lmfao :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Best bet is to discuss it with your solicitor when handling and discussing the motoring offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Their fault or not you shouldn't of been on the road. That person can sue you and you could be paying a lot of money and a ban aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Take them to the cleaners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Adrian2468 wrote: »
    I was a uninsured driver in a accident totally the other drivers fault ( I know I should not have been on the road) but can I still claim? Any feed back welcome

I better keep this calm and short before I get a ban.

It's fcukers like you that is the cause of my insurance to sky-rocket into oblivion. Sell the crapped-up car and don't drive again. If you decide to drive in the future then the first port of call is to Insure the car because you and others are decimating folk that do Insure.

And you ask the question... Can I still claim. Your original post should be deleted/removed/exterminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,347 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

And start multiple threads on the topic while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I better keep this calm and short before I get a ban.

It's fcukers like you that is the cause of my insurance to sky-rocket into oblivion. Sell the crapped-up car and don't drive again. If you decide to drive in the future then the first port of call is to Insure the car because you and others are decimating folk that do Insure.

And you ask the question... Can I still claim. Your original post should be deleted/removed/exterminated.

Nicely put. Just what I wss thinking. And thats coming from someone who was hit by an uninsured driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

IMO OP is perfectly entitled to claim, provided accident wasn't his fault.

Nowhere it's said that if you don't have insurance, you shouldn't be on the road.
    It's opposite.
    If you are on the road, you should have insurance. If you don't you commit offence, and should be prosecuted for this offence. But not complying with insurance requirement, doesn't suddenly take out OP's right to be driving on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If other drive has insurance , aint you the 3rd party

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Adrian2468

Anyone on here know if I cash uninsured and guards are called they tell me 2 produce insurance and licence within 10 days this was 2 months ago which I did not do can I still be prosecuted or has it gone 2 long guards fault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

Your original post should be deleted/removed/exterminated.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

CiniO wrote: »
    But not complying with insurance requirement, doesn't suddenly take out OP's right to be driving on the road.
    It is a legal requirement to have motor insurance if you want to drive your car in a public place and you must produce a current Certificate of Insurance to pay motor tax.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_insurance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

This is your third thread about your uninsured crash. You will probably be banned from driving and also banned from boards.
    Get in touch with a solicitor about your accident, nobody here can advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Why 2 threads. You can ask that question in you other thread. The good people who helped you there will help you again. And to give you a flavour of what you are likely to hear, yes , the Gardai can come after you at any time to check you on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Nowhere it's said that if you don't have insurance, you shouldn't be on the road.
    It's opposite.
    If you are on the road, you should have insurance. If you don't you commit offence, and should be prosecuted for this offence. But not complying with insurance requirement, doesn't suddenly take out OP's right to be driving on the road.

What the fcuk? You need to get off crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DraganGTD

If other drive has insurance , aint you the 3rd party

Absolutely not.

If you have got a full comprehensive insurance and you take for example your friends car to drive then you would be covered as a third party only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Eh, I'd forget about claiming if I were you. I think the question you should be asking is "how am I going to deal with the fact that:
    1. I could have my license taken away
    2. I could be faced with a possible conviction
    3. I could be taken to the cleaners
    4. I should not have been anywhere near a road without insurance"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DraganGTD

What the fcuk? You need to get off crack.

Hahha with you man 100%

Sick of bastards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Surely there's an exception to the requirement to have valid motor insurance under the Sure I was only popping down to the shop less than a mile I'd be there and back in ten minutes, and the missus was in the boot just gone into labour Act, 2014?

No? Am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I'd say there's every likelihood you'll get a nice payout from the other person's insurance.

You have suffered loss/injury and are entitled to compensation.

Many will despise you, but that's unlikely to bother you on your trip to Orlando.

It's opposite.

And who has to pay for it ? Yes, Me and You that are insured. Is that acceptable do you think CiniO. If this keeps up and more and more drivers drive without insurance, ours will go up again, not acceptable imo.

All insurance companies have a piggy-bank just for uninsured drivers that are involved in a claim and yes, they do still have to pay out, but on the backs of folk that always insure their vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

CiniO is correct. He can claim against the driver who caused the collision.
    Even if the OP had no licence, tax or NCT he has still suffered loss due to someone else's negligence and is still entitled to seek compensation.

Try driving into the back of a car that's not street legal and see how far you'll get claiming the other car shouldn't have been there. Your insurer will pay up regardless because it was your negligence that caused the collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

It's opposite.

Can you make those roll eyes yokes font size 3 000 000 ?

DraganGTD wrote: »
    Absolutely not.

If you have got a full comprehensive insurance and you take for example your friends car to drive then you would be covered as a third party only.

I wouldn't give too much information as this person might find a loop-hole somewhere :)

slimjimmc wrote: »
    CiniO is correct. He can claim against the driver who caused the collision.
    Even if the OP had no licence, tax or NCT he has still suffered loss due to someone else's negligence and is still entitled to seek compensation.

Try driving into the back of a car that's not street legal and see how far you'll get claiming the other car shouldn't have been there. Your insurer will pay up regardless because it was your negligence that caused the collision.

It's like a law-system that was twisted and bent into a contraption of unknown particles from the fifth dimension. It doesn't compute.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alan_007_

I'm assuming the gardai weren't called to the scene?
    If you do try to make a claim off the other driver's insurance, expect to be found out (not saying you won't be already) and bent over without any lube in court!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alan_007_

I'm assuming the gardai weren't called to the scene?
    If you do try to make a claim off the other driver's insurance, expect to be found out (not saying you won't be already) and bent over without any lube in court!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

And who has to pay for it ? Yes, Me and You that are insured. Is that acceptable do you think CiniO.

Yes, I think it's perfectly acceptable.
    If OP suffered a loss because of someone else's fault, then he should be compensated.

If this keeps up and more and more drivers drive without insurance, ours will go up again, not acceptable imo.

All insurance companies have a piggy-bank just for uninsured drivers that are involved in a claim and yes, they do still have to pay out, but on the backs of folk that always insure their vehicles.

Well that's completely different problem.
    There's so many uninsured drivers on Irish roads, that it's quite a plague. The question should be - why is that?
    Is rate of uninsured drivers the same high in other countries? And if not, what do we do wrong comparing to them?

IMO there's two major problems.
    1. It's incredibly easy to be uninsured on the road in Ireland- IMO too easy.
    2. There's very little enforcement.
    3. Even if caught, or worse - cause accident - consequences usually aren't too severe.

You might be driving for years, without being checked and get away with driving without insurance. That's why people don't mind doing it. Consequences usually aren't severe. Someone who causes accident uninsured, should be pulled out of every penny to pay up for the loss - and that's not happening. I haven't really heard of cases of people's houses being auctioned for purpose of paying out for the claim after being uninsured. And this should be the cases.
    And obviously the system where everyone can very easily drive uninsured is not well thought in the first place.

But all this has nothing really to do with OP being compensated for damage he suffered not out of his fault.

Advertisement