Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front-end dev - am I underpaid?

Options
  • 02-02-2015 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi folks,

Short summary,

- I moved to Ireland more than 3 yrs ago, with 3 yrs experience as Front-end dev (mainly XHTML, CSS, Jquery)
    - I have 6 years' experience now
    - I have a very good knowledge of Javascript(native), typescript and lots of libraries and frameworks.
    - I recently (less than 6 months ago) started to use nodejs, AngularJs and reactJs
    - I'm fluent in english - but as you probably see - I'm not as good as native speakers. Anyway it's good enough to attend technical meetups etc.

What I do
    - 75% - work with JSON API and AJAX (ie REST) in javacript
    - 25% bug fixes and updates to legacy code

Technology:
    - 90% Javascript/TypeScript
    - 10% C# (asp.net mvc)

Some projects:
    - mobile presentation layer of existing system
    - integration with third parties (ie google maps, CRM's, helpdesks)
    - chrome extensions
    - validation framework (js)
    - nodejs monitoring bot
    - few internal angularjs apps (with bootstrap)

(of course there's a lot more, but I dont want to write a novel)

My problem:

My salary is 25k only.

Why is this a problem?
    - I get lots of job offers with 35k-60k salaries
    - I don't think I'm js guru, but I'm neither junior front-end dev anymore.
    - I can't even find a job offers with a salary lower than 30k

My question:
    Is this just my arrogance or I'm a way underpaid?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,464 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Kamyl wrote: »
    Why haven't you left yet?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kamyl

28064212 wrote: »
    Why haven't you left yet?

Thanks for reply

1) I think that there's still a lot to learn, and I keep saying "it's not the time yet". But maybe it its?
    2) I enjoy working with my team. They're open for all my ideas (ie. introducing stuff like MVC client side, nodejs, flux architecture). We do lots of exciting stuff here and we have much more planned.

I'd preffer to stay with them but... you know... asking for a 50% raise (to match market salaries) sounds huge... but on the other hand working for 25k makes me feel like a student.

This is why I started this thread - I'd like to learn others opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Greyian

Thanks for reply

1) I think that there's still a lot to learn, and I keep saying "it's not the time yet". But maybe it its?
    2) I enjoy working with my team. They're open for all my ideas (ie. introducing stuff like MVC client side, nodejs, flux architecture). We do lots of exciting stuff here and we have much more planned.

I'd preffer to stay with them but... you know... asking for a 50% raise (to match market salaries) sounds huge... but on the other hand working for 25k makes me feel like a student.

This is why I started this thread - I'd like to learn others opinion.

To be honest, based on your experience, even a 50% raise would still represent you being underpaid. €25,000/year, with your experience, is frankly ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,464 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Other companies may be willing to pay you 60k. This one may not. It doesn't matter what you're "worth", the only thing that matters is what the company is willing to pay you.

Ask them to match what you think you could get elsewhere, but you have to be willing and able to walk away if they say "no raise". Otherwise they have all the cards

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Other companies may be willing to pay you 60k. This one may not. It doesn't matter what you're "worth", the only thing that matters is what the company is willing to pay you.

I'm aware of that. I don't consider my job to be worth 60k to be honest. I'd be more than happy with 40k.
    Interesting fact: our customer support guys earn much more than me.
    Ask them to match what you think you could get elsewhere, but you have to be willing and able to walk away if they say "no raise". Otherwise they have all the cards

This is what I'm planning to do. Thank you.

If anyone else wants to add something - feel free to post it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

With you length and level of experience, you should be on no less than €40k per year. I'm sure there's people out there with a little less experience, earning far more than €25k.

I've also attached a salary guide for 2015 according to Morgan McKinley, to give you an idea of what you should or could be earning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Hi folks,

Short summary,

- I moved to Ireland more than 3 yrs ago, with 3 yrs experience as Front-end dev (mainly XHTML, CSS, Jquery)
    - I have 6 years' experience now
    - I have a very good knowledge of Javascript(native), typescript and lots of libraries and frameworks.
    - I recently (less than 6 months ago) started to use nodejs, AngularJs and reactJs
    - I'm fluent in english - but as you probably see - I'm not as good as native speakers. Anyway it's good enough to attend technical meetups etc.

What I do
    - 75% - work with JSON API and AJAX (ie REST) in javacript
    - 25% bug fixes and updates to legacy code

Technology:
    - 90% Javascript/TypeScript
    - 10% C# (asp.net mvc)

Some projects:
    - mobile presentation layer of existing system
    - integration with third parties (ie google maps, CRM's, helpdesks)
    - chrome extensions
    - validation framework (js)
    - nodejs monitoring bot
    - few internal angularjs apps (with bootstrap)

(of course there's a lot more, but I dont want to write a novel)

My problem:

My salary is 25k only.

Why is this a problem?
    - I don't think I'm js guru, but I'm neither junior front-end dev anymore.
    - I can't even find a job offers with a salary lower than 30k

My question:
    Is this just my arrogance or I'm a way underpaid?

Thanks

Sounds like you're severely underpaid even with workplace happiness trade-off considered, fella.

I'm a recent graduate with what I'd consider decent experience in front-end & general web dev but I find it pretty difficult to find any web developer/front-end dev roles available that aren't looking for a minimum 3 years experience.

Saying that, I'd be looking for the guts of 30k if I was taking an entry-level role in somewhere like Dublin to be honest.

On that note, if anyone has any recommendations for myself looking for my first web dev gig, I'm all ears.

Good luck with your wage increase Kamyl, you're well worth up on 45-50k based on that experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Where in Ireland (location) do you work Kamyl?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm aware of that. I don't consider my job to be worth 60k to be honest. I'd be more than happy with 40k.
    Interesting fact: our customer support guys earn much more than me.

You have to value your work more and have respect for yourself. No business or boss will take you seriously until you take yourself seriously.

Decos wrote: »
    Where in Ireland (location) do you work Kamyl?

Dublin

Thanks everyone for replies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Dublin

Thanks everyone for replies

Very harsh salary for Dublin, although no matter where you're located in Ireland you would be under paid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

You have multiple job offers with salaries that put your current one to shame. Do you realise how much most people wanting raises wish they had the leverage that you do lol? Discuss a raise immediately and don't low ball yourself either, state that the best offer you've received is 60k since they'll have to try to work it down some bit, if you only told them about the 45k offer you'd probably end up under 35k since they'd feel a 20k raise is too much, however if they're made aware of such a serious offer of 60k they'd be more likely to not lowball you as much if they want you enough.

If they give you anything less than a 15-20k raise it's time to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You have to go into the discussion being prepared to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

This. It is an unfortunate reality in IT that to progress, either in terms of career or salary, you tend to have to move jobs.

This has resulted in an industry where moving after a year is not unusual and if you remain in the same place for more than five, people will look at you funny - something almost unique to IT.

So I would suggest that the OP updates their CV and starts applying for jobs. If he plays hardball with his current employers, they'll most likely tell him to go jump, and so while he could try to get his salary bumped up, he's unlikely to get anything more than a nominal increase.
    You have multiple job offers with salaries that put your current one to shame.
    Not sure he really meant offers, sounded more like job opportunities or adverts. Indeed - if they were offers, would he really need to post here?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hi Kamyl, honestly your salary is criminal for your experience and what you do. They are taking advantage of you. I have a fraction of your experience but earn way more, I earned more with 0 years experience than that! You must believe in yourself and what you do, that is what gets you your salary, not you thinking your job is not worth x. Make a case for everything you do that is good, and what market prioces are and talk to the person that can increase your money, you ahve to do this and be prepared to leave. I love my job but would leave if they did that to me. You have to be prepared to leave if not everything is right, you can find a job that pays you appropriately and enjoy.

This is a case of your skills do not dictate your wages, your negotiation does, it doesn't matter what you do, how good you are, you have to be negotiate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

...This is a case of your skills do not dictate your wages, your negotiation does, it doesn't matter what you do, how good you are, you have to be negotiate.

As a Contractor on a daily rate, I myself am grossly underpaid. I'm on €180 per day as a Software Developer, Supporting my work, Documentation writing and Administering over Linux/Unix/DB Production and Test environments. What caught me out, was my own ignorance regarding what I should be paid for what I am doing. Someone stated previously, with 5+ years IT Industry experience, I should be on the guts of €300+ per day and according to Morgan McKinley, the document I provided in a recent post, I should be on €350+ per day.

So without negotiating, I'm on nearly half of what I should be paid for the role or a deficit of €850 per week, which is a lot of money when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

To give you some perspective, we just offered 30k a year to a graduate in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Itzy wrote: »
    As a Contractor on a daily rate, I myself am grossly underpaid. I'm on €180 per day as a Software Developer, Supporting my work, Documentation writing and Administering over Linux/Unix/DB Production and Test environments. What caught me out, was my own ignorance regarding what I should be paid for what I am doing. Someone stated previously, with 5+ years IT Industry experience, I should be on the guts of €300+ per day and according to Morgan McKinley, the document I provided in a recent post, I should be on €350+ per day.

So without negotiating, I'm on nearly half of what I should be paid for the role or a deficit of €850 per week, which is a lot of money when you think about it.

When you think about it? WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT?? It's a bit bloody late to be thinking about it now!

I despair of people in IT sometimes. Do you never talk to people? Are there any other contractors working with you and have you talked to them? Are you with an agency and, if so, what is their cut? How much is the client paying for your services? You must have some idea of these things, otherwise you will be (are being?) royally screwed.

I keep saying this but when you contract it's a simple deal: You provide time, skill and expertise; the client supplies money. That's it. Nothing more, and nothing less. You had to read some report from MM to tell you that the going rate for a development contractor is 300-500 euro per day? You entered into a contract with no commercial knowledge and didn't even get any advice? Unbelievable! Do you live under a rock? Agents must love you.

You're not Rory McIlroy, are you?

And before you ask, yes, I do take this personally. Us contractors have to fight tooth and nail with clients and agents to keep rates up. Below cost selling - like you're doing - only makes it harder.

I despair of people in IT sometimes. Do you never talk to people? Are there any other contractors working with you and have you talked to them? Are you with an agency and, if so, what is their cut? How much is the client paying for your services? You must have some idea of these things, otherwise you will be (are being?) royally screwed.
    In fairness, I need to agree with this sentiment. It's really just common sense to do your homework on things such as salaries, benefits, rates and rights. It makes me roll my eyes to heaven whenever I hear someone claim that they get paid less and often pin it on some form of discrimination, when in reality they couldn't negotiate themselves down a one-way-street.

If it were a simple case of such people ending up getting paid less, then I could not care less, but as Moycullen says, it ends up watering down salaries, rates and conditions for everyone else when they do.

When you think about it? WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT?? It's a bit bloody late to be thinking about it now!

In fairness, I need to agree with this sentiment. It's really just common sense to do your homework on things such as salaries, benefits, rates and rights. It makes me roll my eyes to heaven whenever I hear someone claim that they get paid less and often pin it on some form of discrimination, when in reality they couldn't negotiate themselves down a one-way-street.

If was my fault really, by not researching market rates and my ability to find a job at the time, becoming somewhat stagnant. So foolishly I took the role without argument, but both your advice has proved helpful and something to consider for next time, in which this sort of thing won't happen again.

• Advertisement

If was my fault really, by not researching market rates and my ability to find a job at the time, becoming somewhat stagnant. So foolishly I took the role without argument, but both your advice has proved helpful and something to consider for next time, in which this sort of thing won't happen again.
    As long as you don't get fooled twice, as the expression goes.

Still, I suggest you get out of your present role and take on another at a better rate, sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

They are absolutely fleecing you. And probably having a good laugh at it.

Have some respect for yourself and BE AWARE of what you are worth.

Any company that refuses to pay you what you are worth, is not a company worth working for.

Speak to the powers that be and say you feel like you are worth more and would like a raise to a competitive salary. You absolutely must be prepared to walk. We're talking about being paid about double what you are right now. That is life changing money so you must pursue it with everything you've got.

Good luck.

I'm looking around at the moment as my manager doesn't know if she can extend my contract beyond the end of this month. If I'm fortunate enough to get an extension, I'll most definitely be discussing a significant pay increase, otherwise, my next employer won't get away with stitching me up.

I'm looking around at the moment as my manager doesn't know if she can extend my contract beyond the end of this month. If I'm fortunate enough to get an extension, I'll most definitely be discussing a significant pay increase, otherwise, my next employer won't get away with stitching me up.
    Actually, you're about to get stitched up again.

You: "Did I get the extension?"
    Them: "I'm happy to say yes."
    You: "Great. I want an increase on my rate."
    Them: "Oh. Sorry, you got an extension based on your current rate..."

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Aaaargh! Will you listen to yourself? Fortunate to be allowed to be screwed by your client? By your own admission, this is costing you 800 euro a week or 40K a year. For God sake, will you man up, tell the client to GTFO and leave? No discussion, no debate.

In any case, as you are about to find out chronic low-balling cannot be rectified. If the client agrees then they are tacitly admitting that they screwed you OR that 100% pay increases are possible. Neither scenario works for them.

Of course, I'm assuming the client is smarter than you. Given you are working for 180 euro a day, that's a fair assumption, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

To give you some perspective, we just offered 30k a year to a graduate in Galway.

Hiring any more around the Galway area? :pac:

Of course, I'm assuming the client is smarter than you. Given you are working for 180 euro a day, that's a fair assumption, I'm afraid.

People do stupid things in desperation. I'm considering my next move as I'm looking around either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

You're definitely worth more Itzy. Even I know that and I'm not a developer.

OP, the same to you. I'm in support and earning more than you. I know how difficult it is when you've been in a job a while, everything gets comfortable and change seems hard. Start looking around and get paid what you're worth!

People do stupid things in desperation.
    Everyone has been in a situation whereby their backs are against the wall and they'll take what's available in the short term. However, the keyword is short - if you procrastinate and you're still doing the stupid thing a year or more down the line, then you've no excuse [1].
    I'm considering my next move as I'm looking around either way.
    Mind that no one hands you a gold watch while you're still considering.

[1] There is one potential excuse in fairness. If you've been unlucky in your last few positions/roles and they were all short, then you may need to grin and bare the stopgap longer than you'd wish, otherwise your CV is not going to look nice at all.

• Advertisement

[1] There is one potential excuse in fairness. If you've been unlucky in your last few positions/roles and they were all short, then you may need to grin and bare the stopgap longer than you'd wish, otherwise your CV is not going to look nice at all.

You're right, I shouldn't make excuses for myself and that's exactly what has happened in the last year. Too many roles here, there and everywhere, but I am looking for something permanent, that pays better.

Advertisement