Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gets €840 a week on welfare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

bjork wrote: »
    ADHD
    Get ye the extra monies
    They all have it ;)

Sorry, I know you meant that as a joke, but actually it's not funny. My youngest has SEBD, and I'd never claim for disability even though the therapy is costing an arm and a leg (my folks help cover it). Could go through HSE, but his health is more important than my money. I can't hang about for the HSE to get its act together.

I know one lone parent who claims disability for her kid with ADHD alright. Not best liked around the community and has been shopped for fraud once already. I made a little joke about "where am I going wrong when I could have a career as a sponger", but it's actually not funny to be talking like fraud is a thing we could all aspire to. One poster earlier made a valid point about lone parents being castigated as witches up here on AH, and as it turns out, they weren't far off.

Apart from that I do think the benefits are too generous.

The benefits are too generous in general? I suggest you read this post at least: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94351916&postcount=586

I'm not complaining, but if you read my next post after it where I ask you exactly where I could take a further cut.....and then perhaps answer my question?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Shrap wrote: »
    The benefits are too generous in general? I suggest you read this post at least: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94351916&postcount=586

I'm not complaining, but if you read my next post after it where I ask you exactly where I could take a further cut.....and then perhaps answer my question?

Sorry, Sharp, I can't tell by your link what you want me to read, (I'm posting on a phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

You realise that most people have absolutely no problem with you or the benefits you receive. The amount you receive doesn't sound like it's a largesse by any means. It's lads pulling in 7,8,900 blip that people have problems with.

Have you looked into the back to work allowance? Or the allowance for people wishing to start their own business(forget the exact name off the top of my head)?

Basically, they give you a small grant to help with start up costs. Then your benefit decreases by 25%, 50% by year 2, and 75% by year 3.

Sorry, Sharp, I can't tell by your link what you want me to read, (I'm posting on a phone)

Oh, ok. It was a breakdown of exactly how much my benefits are - For me and two teens it's 250 per week excluding child benefit. I run a car, a household, feed and clothe children, pay my bills and try to start my career out of that. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually very grateful for it, but I don't see where I can take a cut. I took all the previous cuts without complaint because everyone had to (apart from the bankers and big business people), but I'm down to the last now.

2013 in total my SW was just over 13,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Cap cap cap bring in a benefits cap.

You realise that most people have absolutely no problem with you or the benefits you receive. The amount you receive doesn't sound like it's a largesse by any means. It's lads pulling in 7,8,900 blip that people have problems with.

Have you looked into the back to work allowance? Or the allowance for people wishing to start their own business(forget the exact name off the top of my head)?

Basically, they give you a small grant to help with start up costs. Then your benefit decreases by 25%, 50% by year 2, and 75% by year 3.

Yes, thanks, I have looked into it all and have a plan to go for it this year actually. And if you were to read all my posts for the day, you'd see what I'm trying to do towards my future. But thanks very much for saying that above. I do appreciate that you've said it, but I think you're sadly mistaken. Most people are happy to lump me and the likes of me in with the sensationalist shock horror articles like the one in the OP. You will see littered throughout the thread, people advising that SW recipients can take more cuts, but I fail to see where, and nobody is offering to tell me. Also, one guy even told me to move to the city and that I should work harder for my children. Sigh.

You're actually one of the few who has actually said you don't resent me, so thanks again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

they should make it so the money this dude collects comes with certain guarantees. And I'm not saying in terms of how he spends it.

Means test it. Give everyone a while to get on their feet. But seriously. Career government artist? Getting in legal trouble? Free weekly government provided kick in the stones. Maybe a few courses too.

they should make it so the money this dude collects comes with certain guarantees. And I'm not saying in terms of how he spends it.

Means test it. Give everyone a while to get on their feet. But seriously. Career government artist? Getting in legal trouble? Free weekly government provided kick in the stones. Maybe a few courses too.

Tie in child benefit with the childs school attendance too. Children get sick. We all know that. But if the child racks up an extraordinary number of unexplainable absences, cut the benefit. The only way we will cut generational welfare dependancy is through education.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Tie in child benefit with the childs school attendance too. Children get sick. We all know that. But if the child racks up an extraordinary number of unexplainable absences, cut the benefit. The only way we will cut generational welfare dependancy is through education.

I don't think people would vote for a government that endorses kicking children in their genitalia. That might be a bit far.

• Advertisement

Yes, thanks, I have looked into it all and have a plan to go for it this year actually. And if you were to read all my posts for the day, you'd see what I'm trying to do towards my future. But thanks very much for saying that above. I do appreciate that you've said it, but I think you're sadly mistaken. Most people are happy to lump me and the likes of me in with the sensationalist shock horror articles like the one in the OP. You will see littered throughout the thread, people advising that SW recipients can take more cuts, but I fail to see where, and nobody is offering to tell me. Also, one guy even told me to move to the city and that I should work harder for my children. Sigh.

You're actually one of the few who has actually said you don't resent me, so thanks again.

No worries and good look with the new venture. It's actually a pretty great opportunity and a good investment by the state. Helping people to create their own job, which is the future, and maybe even create employment for others.

Bap.ie is the site you want to help you go through the process.

Oh, ok. It was a breakdown of exactly how much my benefits are - For me and two teens it's 250 per week excluding child benefit. I run a car, a household, feed and clothe children, pay my bills and try to start my career out of that. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually very grateful for it, but I don't see where I can take a cut. I took all the previous cuts without complaint because everyone had to (apart from the bankers and big business people), but I'm down to the last now.

2013 in total my SW was just over 13,000.

Sharp, you must be doing something wrong, you'll get part of your rental paid ( rent-allowance) 1/3 of it I think.... Your situation is wrong compared to what others are getting (legilitimy)

Sharp, you must be doing something wrong, you'll get part of your rental paid ( rent-allowance) 1/3 of it I think.... Your situation is wrong compared to what others are getting (legilitimy)

No, I own my house you see. Which makes me lucky, but more broke as I'm solely responsible for the single glazed rotten windows! More's the pity....!

Thanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Does that €840 include the Nixers?

No worries and good look with the new venture. It's actually a pretty great opportunity and a good investment by the state. Helping people to create their own job, which is the future, and maybe even create employment for others.

Bap.ie is the site you want to help you go through the process.

Cheers, yes - I'm looking forward to meeting with the small business enterprise board. I'll look up that site, thanks for the help.

No, I own my house you see. Which makes me lucky, but more broke as I'm solely responsible for the single glazed rotten windows! More's the pity....!

Thanks though!

How old are the nippers? Have you thought about advertising a spare room as a b and b?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Does that €840 include the Nixers?

Speed bump ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I don't think people would vote for a government that endorses kicking children in their genitalia. That might be a bit far.

And isn't that the crux of the problem....
    It isn't the government that gives these kids the kicking when the money is cut.

It's the parents who think of themselves and their lifestyle habits before anything else, the actual people who should be thinking of their children first and foremost (not the local CWO) and be willing to personally go without to ensure they have a breakfast on the table, who are willing to sit back content in the knowledge that the state will step in when they play the poor mouth solely because they've been too lazy to spend their money where it should be spent, their dependants.
    And how can we possibly patrol parents like these?
    Until such time as benefits, such as children's allowance, are linked to school attendance right through to LC you won't see any improvements in the attitudes of those who come are about to come after them, and I would even believe that it'll take a further generation again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Nettle wrote: »
    was there not something about money from the rental properties........
    No, my reading is that the rental income was possible, but was not realized.

Even if the second property were rented, the judge is out by 40k.

Look, the problem in Ireland is not the payment rates, it's the ease with which claimants can maintain indefinite claims on those payments.

I would like to see a situation like that which arises in some EU neighbours, whereby a worker maintains a proportion of his previous income for a limited period of time only. After that, he needs to find a job, or show genuine and dire need of a very low payment. That would be genuine social insurance.

How old are the nippers? Have you thought about advertising a spare room as a b and b?

Haven't got a spare room! I hope to convert the stone shed though, for just that reason. I'm half way there with the insulation in and the mains water and esb gone out to it, but I decided I'd have to build my workshop first as I'll be slapped onto jobseekers allowance this year now my youngest is 13. It'll come, all in it's own time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Good luck with your venture shrap, you've had some good pointers here from genuine optimistic posters.
    I really hope it works out for you!

Call me Al wrote: »
    Good luck with your venture shrap, you've had some good pointers here from genuine optimistic posters.
    I really hope it works out for you!

Thanks a mill! This is cheering me up no end compared to the head-wrecker earlier. I am actually quite a good artist! I have confidence that I can do it, whatever about the begrudgers, and you crowd in the last 1/2 hour are who I needed to hear from. Appreciate it, believe me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks a mill! This is cheering me up no end compared to the head-wrecker earlier. I am actually quite a good artist! I have confidence that I can do it, whatever about the begrudgers, and you crowd in the last 1/2 hour are who I needed to hear from. Appreciate it, believe me.

I've just left a job to join a startup which should work out well, but I know from all the planning we've been doing just how much work it is to get a business up and running. Best of luck with yours :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

conorh91 wrote: »
    No, my reading is that the rental income was possible, but was not realized.

Even if the second property were rented, the judge is out by 40k.

Look, the problem in Ireland is not the payment rates, it's the ease with which claimants can maintain indefinite claims on those payments.

I would like to see a situation like that which arises in some EU neighbours, whereby a worker maintains a proportion of his previous income for a limited period of time only. After that, he needs to find a job, or show genuine and dire need of a very low payment. That would be genuine social insurance.

188 pw commands outrage imagine 50k a year for example.

conorh91 wrote: »

That would be the ideal. You lose your job, you get 75% of your previous wage for x amount of time, then 50%, then 25% and so on.

The ideal time to implement this would have been during the boom years. It would be impossible to do now until we seriously reduce unemployment to more moderate levels and until job opportunities are more plentiful.

Haven't got a spare room! I hope to convert the stone shed though, for just that reason. I'm half way there with the insulation in and the mains water and esb gone out to it, but I decided I'd have to build my workshop first as I'll be slapped onto jobseekers allowance this year now my youngest is 13. It'll come, all in it's own time. :)

You could get a couple of travelers in to do that job for you. ;-)

Stheno wrote: »
    I've just left a job to join a startup which should work out well, but I know from all the planning we've been doing just how much work it is to get a business up and running. Best of luck with yours :)

Oh, I'd believe it, but I've never done it before :( Of course I'm worried, but I have to use the gifts I have and go for it. My plan is to hit the ground running, so I'm working up a steady supply of products before I ever get off the OPF and onto the Back To Work Scheme. Fingers crossed, and work ethic applied! Cheers, and good luck with your startup too :)

You could get a couple of travelers in to do that job for you. ;-)

Yer alright thanks. I have a bf and his mate who works for half the price of travellers ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Oh, I'd believe it, but I've never done it before :( Of course I'm worried, but I have to use the gifts I have and go for it. My plan is to hit the ground running, so I'm working up a steady supply of products before I ever get off the OPF and onto the Back To Work Scheme. Fingers crossed, and work ethic applied! Cheers, and good luck with your startup too :)

If you want to pm for any advice about how we approached it feel free :)

Completely different industry but I'm sure they are paralells :)

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    If you want to pm for any advice about how we approached it feel free :)

Completely different industry but I'm sure they are paralells :)

Cool, thanks a lot. I'm actually knackered here, so am off to bed. Will pm you now so I remember who I was going to pm about it later on, if that's ok. Night all.

Advertisement