Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gets €840 a week on welfare

Options
  • 02-02-2015 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

Time to give up our jobs lads, seems this is where you succeed in life while breezing through. At this point, the only reason i work is to keep my self esteem and prevent me from going mad doing nothing all day.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/man-on-euro840-welfare-a-week-309736.html

Note: We can't make any generalizations or assumptions about the man in the article. :rolleyes:

Question i want to ask is: Why do i think the government looks after the ones not contributing to society, and penalize (taxes, fines, etc) the working.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

So he gets fined and still gets to keep his social???
    Wtf am I doing working.
    I should be out there pi55ed off me head and being a Cnut to women and then il get 840 a week. I knew I should've left school at 16 and done nothing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So he gets fined and still gets to keep his social???
    Wtf am I doing working.
    I should be out there pi55ed off me head and being a Cnut to women and then il get 840 a week. I knew I should've left school at 16 and done nothing!!

You would have to have 8 kids though that is where the 840 comes from....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Interesting thread idea...

I hate these Social Welfare threads normally but this is just outrageous.

Why the fùck do I bother getting up to go to work everyday? I'm thinking it is just to pay for the likes of him.

No do gooder could possibly defend this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

8 kids aged 35, he probably doesn't have time to work at that rate!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Time to give up our jobs lads, seems this is where you succeed in life while breezing through. At this point, the only reason i work is to keep my self esteem and prevent me from going mad doing nothing all day.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/man-on-euro840-welfare-a-week-309736.html

Note: We can't make any generalizations or assumptions about the man in the article. :rolleyes:
    Technically there's 10 people on that €840 a week. Not saying this guys spends it on what it's for, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Feed ten people for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,931 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Well for some, eh AH ?

Fill your boots.

Love this - 'McDonagh told Judge Reilly he was not working but he was “an engineer”.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭RomanKnows

That's more than the average industrial wage. While a punter on the average industrial wage hands over almost 50‰ of it in taxes to help fund this. Then people who do genuinely fall on hard times and need the support of welfare get unfairly lumped in with tossers like this lad. Welcome to the modern welfare state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

He has 8 kids - this is why he gets €840 pw, JOKE ...

Lucky to afford a 2nd kid (in my situation) while these social parasites just keep having kids cos the govt. will fund them.

When will Ireland/UK learn that child benefit should be capped after 2 kids ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

+ childers allowance, back to school book allowance, medical card, rent supplement..

You'd need to be earning over €120k to match that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

listermint wrote: »
    You would have to have 8 kids though that is where the 840 comes from....

That's why I said being a Cnut to women

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

a father of 8... he's hardly living a lavish lifestyle... presumably getting €840/week to look after 10 people...

having said that i wonder if this includes children's allowance or any other family allowances they may be getting...

and as others have pointed out, this is where the welfare system is flawed, because even on an average industrial wage (which is incredibly high anyway), working full time, he wouldn't take home that much money...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone want to try raise eight kids I'm Dublin on €43600 a year? I wouldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

should be a welfare cap of no more than €25k introduced for people like this.

and if the cost of their legal assistance was deducted from their payments after every conviction, im sure they wouldnt be long thinking about breaking the law again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

It's only €40320 a year.

Peanuts, really....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

TheTorment wrote: »
    No do gooder could possibly defend this....

Easy. 8 kids. I'm surprised he has anything left to get drunk on.

a father of 8... he's hardly living a lavish lifestyle... presumably getting €840/week to look after 10 people...

having said that i wonder if this includes children's allowance or any other family allowances they may be getting...

if he can't afford 8 kids , he shouldn't have them, people in other countries in europe don't have this many kids if they cant afford them - where I live no working class families have more then 2 kids .

Anyone with 3,4 + kids are rich.

of course, he doesn't need to concern himself with that as he'd take the dole as granted.

And no, it probably doesn't include the rent allowance they get + school books allowance etc ...

makes me sick .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

questions on the kids and child support:

are all the kids by the same mother?
    is he married to the mother?

otherwise, is he entitled to any child support? I was under the impression that the mother of the child is the sole recipient of child support unless the parents are married?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The total cost of building 10 homes at Stocking Hill was €5,075,879.

add 500k for his taxpayer funded house

• Advertisement

catallus wrote: »
    It's only €40320 a year.

Peanuts, really....

After tax, so really like an industrial wage of €75 - €80 k ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

catallus wrote: »
    It's only €40320 a year.

Peanuts, really....

45K. Cash!!!!! Not 42% taxed. That's what people forget.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Advantages of screwing the welfare system:
    You can "afford" as many kids as you like
    You're allowed live where you grew up in a free house
    Zero commute time

Disadvantages:
    Self esteem
    Having to watch Jeremy Kyle & Loose Women
    General inconvenience in having to sign on during pyjama time

It's a tougher choice than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We can. The address given is a halting site. The man is a traveller.

He's getting €1,080 per month for the children. He would be getting €551.20 jobseeker's. That's €800/week.

So he's probably getting another €40 under some other scheme.

€840/week is a lot of money when you don't have a home to maintain and you don't have to do anything but feed your kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Hardly a life of luxury rearing 8 kids on that. Not that you should have a family that size if you're long-term unemployed obviously.

BTW too, if that figure includes child benefit, he's getting just over a grand a month for 8 kids if they're under 16. Every parent in the state is entitled to that, no mater how poor or wealthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

45K. Cash!!!!! Not 42% taxed. That's what people forget.

But he pays taxes on the stuff he buys presumably?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

lazza14 wrote: »
    if he can't afford 8 kids , he shouldn't have them,

Correct, but they exist and that's not their fault. If he won't provide for them, then we must, or else the cycle repeats itself forever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

jobseeker 188 + 124.80 + 29.80x8 = €551.20pw child benefit x8 = €249.23pw
    That's only €800.43pw

Where am I missing €40?

Advantages of screwing the welfare system:
    You can "afford" as many kids as you like
    You're allowed live where you grew up in a free house
    Zero commute time

Disadvantages:
    Self esteem
    Having to watch Jeremy Kyle & Loose Women
    General inconvenience in having to sign on during pyjama time

It's a tougher choice than you think.

But this is living the dream for these people .

To them that's like watching Jeremy Clarkson and Robert Fisk discussing the finer politics of the western world - followed by an episode of Breaking Bad and top of with a BluRay screening of Interstellar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Rezident

I don't believe the government have the appetite to fix this. The only way to fix it would be if we all gave up our jobs and started claiming the free money scam instead - but they know we won't do this so they win and we lose.

And get off the internet and get back to work, or you'll get a bad performance review and no hope of promotion. Cheer up, you can have a tea break in 5 minutes, losers.

Advertisement