Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gets €840 a week on welfare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Time to give up our jobs lads, seems this is where you succeed in life while breezing through. At this point, the only reason i work is to keep my self esteem and prevent me from going mad doing nothing all day.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/man-on-euro840-welfare-a-week-309736.html

Note: We can't make any generalizations or assumptions about the man in the article. :rolleyes:

Question i want to ask is: Why do i think the government looks after the ones not contributing to society, and penalize (taxes, fines, etc) the working.

He's not the only one the government is looking after though, is it?

Yea, their dad seems like a dick but do you think the state should leave those kids to go hungry?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

catallus wrote: »
    It's only €40320 a year.

Peanuts, really....

thats €40320 of tax payers money that could be spent on assisting people who actually deserve and need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

It's only €40320 a year.

So there's only 48 weeks in a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Anyone want to try raise eight kids I'm Dublin on €43600 a year? I wouldn't!

Try it without paying a mortgage, income tax, motor tax, VRT and earning a fair amount from extra-curricular activity & I'd say you might well manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

thats €40320 of tax payers money that could be spent on assisting people who actually deserve and need it.

Those eight children don't deserve or need it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Try it without paying a mortgage, income tax, motor tax, VRT and earning a fair amount from extra-curricular activity & I'd say you might well manage it.
    This. All he has to do with that €800 is week is feed and clothe the kids. And maybe pay for fuel.

The guy probably has €100k stuffed in a mattress somewhere, his outgoings are so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

But he pays taxes on the stuff he buys presumably?

The stuff he buys, you're so cute.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So what he steals everything too now?

Some people here won't be happy until work houses are brought back and the poor are steralized.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Condoms have 13.5% vat y'know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Why are some saying that its been divided by 10

Nowhere does it state that these 8 kids are with the same woman or that they all live with him.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Christ i'd love to see what kind of "engineering" work he does

The poor woman. she's been pregnant, just recovered or is about to get pregnant all her adult life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

snubbleste wrote: »
    jobseeker 188 + 124.80 + 29.80x8 = €551.20pw child benefit x8 = €249.23pw
    That's only €800.43pw

Where am I missing €40?

If they are including child benefit in that total, then it's a little disingenuous as it's a universal benefit not based on income.

I myself get 270 a month despite not being dependent on it to rear the kids.

Specialun wrote: »
    Why are some saying that its been divided by 10
    Nowhere does it state that these 8 kids are with the same woman or that they all live with him.....
    It says he is receiving the €840 per week. So he is head of the household of eight kids.

Just enough information in that article to outrage people yet not enough to actually explain why he is getting that much. People get that much all the time, in most cases its relative to what you were earning prior to going on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

he has no schooling!

Just enough information in that article to outrage people yet not enough to actually explain why he is getting that much. People get that much all the time, in most cases its relative to what you were earning prior to going on the dole.
    Eh, it's not. You'll get €188pw regardless if you were earning millions or working minimum wage.

Eh, it's not. You'll get €188pw regardless if you were earning millions or working minimum wage.

So if your on 120k for a decade with various dependancies and suddenly lose your job, your straight onto 188? I was under the impression that you get far more at first due to the amount of tax paid out, with the welfare sharply dropping as time goes on

So if your on 120k for a decade with various dependancies and suddenly lose your job, your straight onto 188? I was under the impression that you get far more at first due to the amount of tax paid out, with the welfare sharply dropping as time goes on
    That is some impression you are under.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The only difference is you're not means tested initially until your "stamps"run out.

• Advertisement

That is some impression you are under.

I'm almost positive my uncle was in that exact scenario. He was the sole provider of a family of 4 with mortgages and car loans coming out the wazoo. I'll have to look into this rather than taking your snarky word for it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Ah, nothing like the smell of Monday morning outrage......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

a father of 8... he's hardly living a lavish lifestyle... presumably getting €840/week to look after 10 people...

having said that i wonder if this includes children's allowance or any other family allowances they may be getting...

and as others have pointed out, this is where the welfare system is flawed, because even on an average industrial wage (which is incredibly high anyway), working full time, he wouldn't take home that much money...

The average wage is incredibly high? Compared to what, earning below average?

So what he steals everything too now?

Some people here won't be happy until work houses are brought back and the poor are steralized.

I never said steal, you came to that assumption,...i wonder why....Their are other benefits and charities that provide food vouchers, clothing, and heat etc.

Of course not sterilized, esp not anyone that's poor, ive been in hard times before,....Just not 800 a week, thats the argument.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Their are other benefits and charities that provide food vouchers, clothing, and heat etc.
    So to prove you're not advocating Victorian style workhouses you're proposing charities have responsibility for keeping the poor fed and housed... nope, nothing Victorian about that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There are many more like him. I always find it astonishing that many of these people with a similar name to that person are able to buy new cars and vans every year or two yet they have never worked s day in their life, never contributed one iota to society but have more money than anyone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

It might work like that in other countries.
    Here? Nah. Straight to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Only fair considering the extensive contributions Mr McDonagh has undoubtedly made to the state coffers over the years.

Working couples struggle to pay mortgage/childcare/myriad of taxes etc and certainly cannot afford 8 kids.

People who dont work and amasse multiple criminal convictions can multiply indefinitely and are endlessly subsidised by the working people above who can barely afford to multiply themselves.

It's evolution, reversed.

"Darwin's rolling over in his coffin and the fittest start surviving much less often"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

But de man has a Job ....
    And yis lot should be very grateful ta him.

His job is ta use his Mikkie ta produce de future generatshun
    of Oireland dat will help to pay de auld age pensions fur yis.

De man and his mot should be given a medal.

• Advertisement

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    So to prove you're not advocating Victorian style workhouses you're proposing charities have responsibility for keeping the poor fed and housed... nope, nothing Victorian about that at all.

I do not understand at all. I was just saying they don't need to steal with charities being there. Charities do amazing things but they do get abused.

Advertisement