Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take off the flats!

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Neyite wrote: »
    I dunno, depending on the outfit they can look quite chic - Like, if you swapped the cardigan for a blazer, lost the sunglasses and tied up the hair it'd be lovely and professional for most office standards.

f8cd96683ff0f8f6e71d787ee423b77b.jpg

Different climate and weather conditions.

Also, to all the posters who "don't give a damn" and "will wear whatever I want" and "I don't care what you think, I can wear whatever I want" that's fine but why are you bothering to post if you're so agnostic about it.

Ballet pumps are just not appropriate for this time of year but in Ireland they seem to be very popular, it's also popular in Ireland to wear pyjamas when dropping kids to school but nobody seems to bat a eyelid when that that point is raised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

You still have not provided an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I don't think you can equate wearing flat shoes to work with wearing pyjamas in public.

I don't think you can equate wearing flat shoes to work with wearing pyjamas in public.

Pray tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    Your opinion doesn't sit well with the OP's because they don't like ballet pumps.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It is afterall THEIR opinion. Ballet pumps are inappropriate footwear for this time of year.

That is my opinion. And it's fine if you disagree with it. But you can't tell me that my opinion matters any less than yours.

Woah, hold on- I never said your opinion, or indeed the opinion of the OP mattered less.

What I said was that I disagree with the notion that pumps are inappropriate for this time of year; or that they are inappropriate for work.

I know some of the Penneys ones are a bit flimsy, but most of mine are from Schuh and Monsoon- the sole is very well structured and quite supportive. My feet are as warm and yet as exposed as they would be if I was in heels- but without the discomfort. If they were inappropriate for the weather, I wouldn't wear them.

And again, no alternative from the OP. As I said, disliking them is one thing, implying that they are inappropriate or unprofessional is a bit much. As for equating them with wearing pyjamas in public?! Oh please.

So on that note, that's enough of this thread for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Is it different climate in Dublin or something? We live in one of the mildest climates on earth. It has Snowed... Twice? Been fairly dry. Not even particularly cold this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

All this talk of heels and pumps and commuting in trainers makes me go - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096463/

At least they could smoke in the office, and drink at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I judge employees and co workers on their ability to do their job. They can come to work barefoot for all I care. Luckily I work in a job where we have casual dress code. I wear ballet flats a lot in summer I cant walk in heels and they are comfy and I like what they look like. In winter i live in flat boots.

OP your opinion is just that, an opinion. Opinions are like @rseh0les, we all have one and they are often different. Just because you don't like something doesnt mean its inappropriate. Given how different work places are now anyway whats 'office appropriate' varies greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

I'm really interested in alternatives to ballet pumps too. The only other flat shoes I see around are usually boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Loafers, derby shoes, brogues...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Nobody has worn heels or pumps since this.....

pumps.jpg

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

meeeeh wrote: »
    Loafers, derby shoes, brogues...

With trousers maybe. I wouldn't put those with a dress though.

I quite like wearing brogues with dresses. Like this:
    http://www.cosstores.com/gb/Women/Dresses/Dress_with_draped_pockets/46881-16463655.1#c-22755

I have this dress in different color and it looks well with brogues or shoe boots and black tights. But I can wear whatever I want and the jersey material probably isn't appropriate for every work environment.
    http://www.cosstores.com/gb/Women/Dresses/Double-layer_dress/46881-24401447.1#c-24481

Anyway I didn't see the red dress before and I think it is going on my wish list together with superga canvas runners. I'll blame this thread for my bank balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

High heels gave me huge over-muscled calves which have taken a long time to go away. I wear brogues and they look lovely with skinny trousers, skirts and dresses.

I find ballet flats don't support my arches enough. I think they look fine on some people but I do wonder about the quality of them.

I used to be a care assistant and I'm fairly sure the reason so many women have bad feet is a lifetime of wearing bad shoes. I don't want to be unnecessarily disabled for my last few years on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 doodlebops2015

New to boards and have to say I find this thread hillarious.
    Should it not be up to the person wearing to decide their own style and what they feel is right for the situation?

It depends where you work. Showing up in 10 inch stiletto and a tank top probably wouldn't be a great idea if you are a barrister. And sometimes people actually have to be told what is right for the situation and very often there are company guidelines what one should wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 doodlebops2015

Of course if there is a dress code you should stick to it.
    Or recommendations, or "norms" for the type of work you do then you go with these but put your own slant on it.
    Obviously people who are going to be front of house or meeting with clients etc. shouldn't be turning up in runners..

Wearing flats/pumps/ballet shoes in the office, to the pub, the gym, basically anywhere everywhere all year round, in every climate, rain wind or snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think this thread has well and truly run its course.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This is an old thread, closed.

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement