Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take off the flats!

Options
  • 01-02-2015 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Are flats now considered office attire suitable for all weather conditions all year around? They are a casual shoe not suitable for the office or this type of weather but somehow they're everywhere! Are their feet not getting wet???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I wear flats to work a lot of the time. I spend a fair bit of the day running around the office and wouldn't be able for it in heels! I do wear boots a lot too but if I am wearing something they don't look good with, then I wear my trainers for the commute and get into my flats at the office. I don't see what's wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭fits

Are flats now considered office attire suitable for all weather conditions all year around? They are a casual shoe not suitable for the office or this type of weather but somehow they're everywhere! Are their feet not getting wet???

Why are they 'not suitable for the office'?

I wear boots to work and change into Flat shoes when I get there. A lot of my colleagues wear sandals in the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Well if you take them off you are barefoot... Surely far worse!

I'd consider flat shoes suitable for iced pavements and carparks. Who on earth thinks heels would be better for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

I wear flats to work a lot of the time. I spend a fair bit of the day running around the office and wouldn't be able for it in heels! I do wear boots a lot too but if I am wearing something they don't look good with, then I wear my trainers for the commute and get into my flats at the office. I don't see what's wrong with that?
    fits wrote: »
    Why are they 'not suitable for the office'?

I wear boots to work and change into Flat shoes when I get there. A lot of my colleagues wear sandals in the office.

Flats are not office attire, they're a casual flat shoe. They also leave alot of the foot and ankle exposed meaning they're not suitable for this time of year. People seem obsessed with them because they're comfortable and easy to put on.

Flats are not office attire, they're a casual flat shoe. They also leave alot of the foot and ankle exposed meaning they're not suitable for this time of year. People seem obsessed with them because they're comfortable and easy to put on.

When you say 'flats'... do you mean ballet slippers or something?

I've plenty of flat shoes that cover my feet and ankles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I live in flats because I can't walk in heels. I wear then all the time in the office, the are very suitable under wide leg trousers or with skirts.
    My legs are never bare either, I wear tights or stockings with them.
    I wear runners on my commute as I have a bit of a walk either side of the bus, granted in torrential rain they wouldn't keep me dry either.

I'm really not seeing the problems with flats.

pwurple wrote: »
    When you say 'flats'... do you mean ballet slippers or something?

I've plenty of flat shoes that cover my feet and ankles.

Not flat shoes as in without a heel. I mean the canvas ballet flats.

I live in flats because I can't walk in heels. I wear then all the time in the office, the are very suitable under wide leg trousers or with skirts.
    My legs are never bare either, I wear tights or stockings with them.
    I wear runners on my commute as I have a bit of a walk either side of the bus, granted in torrential rain they wouldn't keep me dry either.

I'm really not seeing the problems with flats.

For the same reason that a man wouldn't wear a pair of black runners with a business suit because they were more comfortable.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

For the same reason that a man wouldn't wear a pair of black runners with a business suit because they were more comfortable.

So instead of me wearing my patent leather flat ballet pumps with a bow, I have to wear heels that will break my ankles because you think they are the same as runners?
    Tosh!!

If ballet flats were not suitable attire for an office then HR staff around the globe would be mentioning it in dress codes.

Well if you take them off you are barefoot... Surely far worse!

I'd consider flat shoes suitable for iced pavements and carparks. Who on earth thinks heels would be better for that?
    So instead of me wearing my patent leather flat ballet pumps with a bow, I have to wear heels that will break my ankles because you think they are the same as runners?
    Tosh!!

If ballet flats were not suitable attire for an office then HR staff around the globe would be mentioning it in dress codes.

Who said anything about heels? You're the second person to mention them.

Just because something is made of leather and has a bow on it doesn't make it look any nicer.

They're also the shoe of choice for Santa's Elves, not the type of look most people would intentionally go for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'm wearing a pair of Adidas runners in the office today.

Someone call the fashion police.

Who are you to say what is and what isn't appropriate? Every office is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Having had a look through some of the OP's previous posts, he seems to be someone who has very black and white ideas of what is and isn't appropriate.

The opposite of flats are heels, which is why people have mentioned it.

OP, you're perfectly entitled to dislike flat shoes and how they appear, however this does not mean that they are inappropriate attire. It's clearly a matter of personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What a bizarre thread!

Maybe in your opinion flats aren't suitable office attire, but you can't go around making declarations like above!

Each to their own, and all that.

(And wear the shoes I wear every day PRECISELY because they're comfortable and easy to put on! They're not ballet flats though)

Who said anything about heels? You're the second person to mention them.

Um... a shoe without a heel is a flat. Jeez, if you want to complain about something you could at least use the correct words. :rolleyes:

Um... a shoe without a heel is a flat. Jeez, if you want to complain about something you could at least use the correct words. :rolleyes:

Sorry but are you talking about heels or flats?

If a shoe doesn't have a heel what do you call it?

A heeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I fail to see the point of this thread or what your issue is, OP.

Pumps. What you're talking about are pumps.

You don't like people wearing pumps.

Flat shoes are ok as long as they're not pumps.

Pumps. I'll just keep saying the word pumps until you understand what you're talking about are pumps. "Flats" are simply shoes without a heel. Pumps are the ones you're thinking of. Unforunately you are confusing pumps with all shoes without a heel, i.e. flats.

Anyway, pumps are apparently very acceptable office attire these days. I fail to see why they wouldn't be though tbh.

And I think you'll find the equivalent to a man wearing runners with his suit, is a woman wearing runners with her suit.

Pumps. What you're talking about are pumps.

You don't like people wearing pumps.

Flat shoes are ok as long as they're not pumps.

Pumps. I'll just keep saying the word pumps until you understand what you're talking about are pumps. "Flats" are simply shoes without a heel. Pumps are the ones you're thinking of. Unforunately you are confusing pumps with all shoes without a heel, i.e. flats.

Anyway, pumps are apparently very acceptable office attire these days. I fail to see why they wouldn't be though tbh.

And I think you'll find the equivalent to a man wearing runners with his suit, is a woman wearing runners with her suit.

So what's the equivalent of a man wearing pumps, is it pumps? Btw, it's only suitable office attire if you work in Santa's grotto.

I thought these were pumps
    pumps-shoes-1.jpg

They're round toed courts.

So they are.

• Advertisement

This is what I mean by flats

style-flat-shoes.jpg

Where is all the hate coming from btw?

This is what I mean by flats

style-flat-shoes.jpg

Where is all the hat coming from btw?

Aahhh, you mean pumps!

Aahhh, you mean pumps!

I don't think those are pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

For me, heeled court shoes are pumps.

Flats cover a wide variety: loafer, ballet shoes etc. The black flat shoes above are not pumps for me, they are simply flats.

It seems as if we have a language issue here :)

I do work in a professional environment, and to be honest, some of the flat shoes I see people wearing aren't really up to scratch. They can look a bit too informal at times. But that doesn't mean people can't wear flat shoes in the office. They should just suit the office they are in.

But hey, I'm wearing leather biker boots today in an effort to keep my legs warm as I have no scheduled meetings for the rest of the day. I have a pair of Coach patent leather heels that I wore earlier for a meeting and that I can pull out again if needed.

I really hope you don't think those skyscrapers are normal office shoes. How would you get across an icy car park in those?

Anyway... these shoes are not acceptable office attire

style-flat-shoes.jpg

For arguments sake, lets say they were. They're still not suitable for this time of year. We seem to have a propensity in this country to wear summer clothing all year around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

People seem obsessed with them because they're comfortable and easy to put on.

People seem obsessed with them because Claudia Schiffer wears them. What the average ballerina-pump-wearing lady seems to forget is Claudia is 1.8 metres tall, extremely thin, can wear anything and look good in it and probably doesn't streel from the bus / train through the wet city streets on her way to work!

To me the average Irish women slopping around in these shoes in Irish weather look a bit silly... and wet!

The most inappropriate footwear ever invented. But that's just my opinion.

I really hope you don't think those skyscrapers are normal office shoes. How would you get across an icy car park in those?

Depends what kinda "office" you work in.

3ponqr.jpg

dudara wrote: »
    For me, heeled court shoes are pumps.

Flats cover a wide variety: loafer, ballet shoes etc. The black flat shoes above are not pumps for me, they are simply flats.

It seems as if we have a language issue here :)

I do work in a professional environment, and to be honest, some of the flat shoes I see people wearing aren't really up to scratch. They can look a bit too informal at times. But that doesn't mean people can't wear flat shoes in the office. They should just suit the office they are in.

But hey, I'm wearing leather biker boots today in an effort to keep my legs warm as I have no scheduled meetings for the rest of the day. I have a pair of Coach patent leather heels that I wore earlier for a meeting and that I can pull out again if needed.

I've only ever heard of heeled courts being called pumps by louboutin. And my feet don't fit in those >.<

I wear heels mostly (black patent leather courts), and flats if it's particularly busy. The flats I wear are just that, flat shoes. Pumps I wouldn't personally wear to work and it's rare to see anyone else wearing them either but I'm not sure if they would be entirely awful!

I dress immaculately when in work. Dress, suit jacket, tights [had to give up the stockings when I moved jobs :(] shoes. If I'm in flat shoes (i.e. shoes without a heel) I'm still immaculately dressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I must say that I do find some ballet flats a bit informal for corporate environment. Not all, something with a bit of sole is grand imo. However I do wear heals, flats, pumps or whatever to work. And if I showed up in steel toe cap boots nobody would mind either. Not every office is the same.

I agree with op that those pumps are completely inappropriate for cold weather.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement