Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid paying for Eircom price after increase – Save more than 50%

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Please, please don't try replacing your Eircom eFibre with 4G or fixed wireless, you will be sorry.

Here are the good options for saving money:

UPC
    - €40 - 120Mbs/12Mbs + unlimited anytime national calls + 400 international minutes
    - €45 - 240Mbs/24Mbs + unlimited anytime national calls + mobile + 400 international minutes

Vodafone
    - €35 - "upto" 100Mbs/20Mbs - no phone - 300GB cap (€10 per 100GB over the cap)

Eircom
    - Always a good idea to call them up and threaten to leave, say you got a quote from UPC, etc. They will normally give you a reduced rate for a few months to keep you.

I wouldn't bother with VoIP for calls etc. Instead look at your mobile plan. Tesco Mobile will give you unlimited calls, texts and 1GB of data for €15. Most people probably wouldn't need a landline with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Rang them and rep didn't know what I was talking about. I wonder is this a customer loyalty offer of some kind?

I'm at the end of an 18 month fibre contract so maybe only for existing customers.

When I replied that Vodafone are only €35, rep said 'so I'll cancel your account then?'. Doesn't seem to be much room for haggling though I wonder if I said I'll cancel would they have reduced it.

I didn't bother as I hadn't spoken to Vodafone yet but will cancel when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

bk wrote: »

I wouldn't bother with VoIP for calls etc. Instead look at your mobile plan. Tesco Mobile will give you unlimited calls, texts and 1GB of data for €15. Most people probably wouldn't need a landline with that.

I'm using that PAYG deal on Tesco & got other people on to it as well, as mum was running out of credit & would use the landline on occasion to ring a mobile, not for long, but it does add-up in the long-run unfortunately. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kgarvey

Thanks OP going to look into this now

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

A lot of people like to kep their ladline number.

Is there a reliable competitor in the market for some onein a rural location?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭PUnited

this letter came only a couple of weeks before my contract was up and i looking to drop eircom and change to another crowd for bb with nearly the last 6 months haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Adrian4 wrote: »

You can transfer the number to a VOIP provider

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

You can transfer the number to a VOIP provider

Example www.goldfish.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tonybrowne.ie

Adrian4 wrote: »

Any VOIP provider covers rural location. You need to get a wireless (not satellite) broadband. Before you choose the VOIP provider, make sure that the VOIP equipment(analogue telephone adaptor) is not locked so that you can use it with a different provider in case you decided to switch to provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stiro05

I live in mayo and have my internet with three. Last year I cancelled my phone with digiweb and moved on to voip with vomino (as I don't use the landline much to call out but I still needed to keep my landline number for my business). They can transfer your existing number to them and only pay 89.99 per year for practically unlimited calls including Europe landlines. You have to use something like a vonets var11n (I cant post links) to connect the adaptor that is supplied to a wifi modem. hope this makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

So I've already tried this over wireless. And it's NOT reliable enough.

Vodafone QOS voip traffic to the point of it being unusable unless you pay them extra
    Three latency is way too erratic

Quality of all over the shop. I can't imagine doing voip over anything other than a low latency wired connection

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tonybrowne.ie

I visited Three mobile shop and they have only 4G router with Ethernet port that can be used with VOIP equipment. The problem is that this router is expensive. It costs €179 for prepaid. I do not really need a 4G router because we have only 3G coverage in our area. Does anyone knows a cheap 4G or 3G unlocked router with Ethernet port?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I joined eircom in September on a six months half price deal and was able to get out of contract today and move to sky who gave me six months half price.

Rang the number for eircom that was on the email and he said I couldn't leave so rang 1901 and pressed 2,3,2 and they offered to remove the block on my account so i would have 30 days to switch to a new supplier.

If you want a better deal or want to leave it really depends on who you speak to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Rang them and rep didn't know what I was talking about. I wonder is this a customer loyalty offer of some kind?
    Ask to speak with the loyalty/retention team. They are he only department that can offer standalone bb.

Does anybody have a link to info on the eircom website about these price increases?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I had crossed lines neighbour heard very personal conversation (should have hung up I know but she didn't ), rang eircom , came out lost service for a month, had to ring several times no joy blamed contractors, still no apologies, no follow up calls, i made all the calls, told them finally i was going to comreg and viola someone rang and told me that all works three weeks previous were done and it was only a matter of connecting something small, so a month of no phone or broadband for a small connection issue. COMPENSATION, months landline rent, this is 3rd time in a year i was out, not once did i get an apology and no one rang me, note you have to make claim within the billing period of disruption as I wasn't aware i could claim so i asked for compensation for previous outages, that was the response! Out for more than 10 days entitled to compensation! hope helps, rant over!

Thank you so much for your relply. I called the 1800 number only to told I could only claim compensation when the line was restored.
    Calling their customer care and fault lines nmber it is cleaR they are full of crAp.
    The most rude woman answered and told me it would be a month and I just had to put up wth it. I told her it was a month already . She then told me they were busy with e fibre rollout. I asked was it a mAnpower issues and she said yes. She the. Said that they had to apply for planning permission and if would be another month. I asked for a local technician or engineer to call me as the lies I have been told we're no longer acceptable . She said it wAs not possible. I said I spoke to the l spoke to the local technician on the 12th of jan who told me it required a heavy line to be replaced. She said no.
    So their list of excuses Are.
    -] needs 3 men to lift the cable (12th jan)
    -) needs a road maintenance crew to create road restrictions . 3weeks ago
    -) needs. A planning application. ( yesterdAy)

I live on a very very rurL one lane road where the line fault is. Very few. Are use the road typically 3 to ( cars a day.
    I can see the fault line and would pY to fix it myself.

A disgrace of a company. As are.comreg where I placed my complaint t
    Sure I'll have to put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Can anyone nominate best landline only deal ? Parent's contract is currently with eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

On voip are you still in the phone book/ directory enquiries?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

http://m.independent.ie/business/eircom-price-increase-hands-its-customers-an-open-goal-30964832.html

This is great. I hardly use the landline at all so I've just been waiting to switch to Vodafone and their bb only for 35 a month instead of the 50 I'm paying .only have until the 15 th to cancel it. Might be worth putting that in the thread title OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

http://m.independent.ie/business/eircom-price-increase-hands-its-customers-an-open-goal-30964832.html

This is great. I hardly use the landline at all so I've just been waiting to switch to Vodafone and their bb only for 35 a month instead of the 50 I'm paying .only have until the 15 th to cancel it. Might be worth putting that in the thread title OP

Just as long as you are aware that Vodafone unlimited is not unlimited at all but has a 300GB limit, they charge per GB once you go over

Just as long as you are aware that Vodafone unlimited is not unlimited at all but has a 300GB limit, they charge per GB once you go over

To be honest I wont go near that limit, but I'm sure it could well be relevant to a lot of other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/Part3.1.pdf
    See page 2 and 3 for NGB Standalone Broadband and eFibre Standalone Broadband.

The self install charge will not apply until July and there will also be no additional line rental charge, so you can basically get 100Mbps eFibre Advanced Standalone (unlimited) for €43.00 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

Peter File wrote:
    vodafone do fibre broadband with no line rental for €35 per month. Eircom force you to pay for phone as well.

That is the one i have!
    Get away from eircom as quick as possible people:)

That is the one i have!
    Get away from eircom as quick as possible people:)

Rang eircom to cancel. No problem with the early exit from contract. They did say though if I'm switching to phone Vodafone to arrange a switch.

So I rang Vodafone n they said because I'm on efibre sitcom will block my switch application because that's what they're doing to retain customers. I said that this just surely be illegal and he agreed and said the only way to get away from them is to cancel the contract with eircom and then setup a totally new connection with Vodafone. He said eircom will make this difficult too n I could end u. Without broadband for two months.

Rang eircom back and they claim they're doing nothing of the sort so I asked them to put a note on my account ensuring that they will in no way block the transfer!

Must ring Vodafone back tomorrow! Will keep you posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

On phone - re: switch from eFibre to VF see thread in 'Talk to Vodafone' about this - a lot of confusion.

EDIT: 'Exact procedure for switching from Eircom's eFibre to Vodafone's Simply Broadband?'
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057371861

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mugs11

Has anyone got a number for the loyalty team (just like there was a direct number for UPC)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Rang eircom to cancel. No problem with the early exit from contract. They did say though if I'm switching to phone Vodafone to arrange a switch.

So I rang Vodafone n they said because I'm on efibre sitcom will block my switch application because that's what they're doing to retain customers. I said that this just surely be illegal and he agreed and said the only way to get away from them is to cancel the contract with eircom and then setup a totally new connection with Vodafone. He said eircom will make this difficult too n I could end u. Without broadband for two months.

Rang eircom back and they claim they're doing nothing of the sort so I asked them to put a note on my account ensuring that they will in no way block the transfer!

Must ring Vodafone back tomorrow! Will keep you posted!
    If Eircom were doing that they'd land themselves in serious hot water with ComReg.

I'd take Vodafone's claims with about as much validity as their "Unlimited" fibre broadband (which is "Unlimited" only up to 300GB, then you'll pay €10 per additional 100GB of usage, bet they didn't disclose that to you!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

i have slow band from eircom, 0.86 down, 0.12 up, it is consistant, i had wireless for 11 months, a horrible experience as could be had, every kind of fact was quoted to me over the fone, i had to dump it for the sake of my sanity, i am now thinking of purchasing an ariel and pointing it at the meteor mast five miles away, feeding through to a router which the seller also provides, will this work, well will this give me a signal equal to or faster than my present speed

Kensington wrote: »
    If Eircom were doing that they'd land themselves in serious hot water with ComReg.

I'd take Vodafone's claims with about as much validity as their "Unlimited" fibre broadband (which is "Unlimited" only up to 300GB, then you'll pay €10 per additional 100GB of usage, bet they didn't disclose that to you!!!)

I agree with what you're saying but I'm not sure why Vodafone would say it as it meant they didn't take my order. I can understand them slagging off the opposition, but not to the detriment of sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭seanin4711

ash23 wrote: »
    Not everyone got a letter. It depends on the bundle you're on as only some bundles are affected. I didn't get a letter but got an email. And I called and got a reduced €33 bundle for six months (unlimited broadband and free off peak calls). Suits me. It's €52 per month after the first 6 months.

do you have to sign up for another 18month contract?
    my 18months is up in June.
    no letter or email received!
    anyone got a copy???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

12 month contract for BB and calls is up so they've offered another 12 month contract,
    38 euro for first 6 months then 53 euro for 6 months.
    And they are throwing in 30 euro credit.

Anyone get a better deal out of eircom than that?

Advertisement