Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid paying for Eircom price after increase – Save more than 50%

Options
  • 01-02-2015 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Most of you have received a letter from Eircom saying that prices will be increased from 1 April and you have 1 month to cancel your contract without penalty if you are not happy with the increase.

After receiving the same letter, I searched for alternative solutions and I found that combination of broadband only with VOIP phone line, you can save more than 50 % of Eircom price for similar product. You keep your existing number and you have Internet access.

We will discuss below different options that help to save more than 50% of upcoming Eircom prices.

Option A : Mobile broadband + VOIP – €17.98 per month
    The cheapest mobile broadband on the market is Three where you pays €7.99 per month.

For VOIP provider, there are 2 providers that offers the best product for your money:

- Blueface with Starter plan
    - Vomino with Standard plan

Combining Vodafone simply with a VOIP provider, you get a Broadband + Phone line at €17.98 per month.

To use Three mobile broadband with VOIP phone line, you need a router with Ethernet port. MiFi and Dongle does not work with broadband.

Option B : Wireless (microwave) broadband + VOIP - €39.94 per month
    If you live in rural area or urban area where you do not have good broadband signal, you should go for this option where you get broadband only from one Wireless (microwave) broadband provider and get VOIP from a different provider.

For wireless broadband, no provider cover the whole country. Each provider covers 1 to 3 counties. Here are some wireless provider with good review:

- Digiweb Metro broadband at €29.95 per month : Digiweb covers county Dublin
    - East Cork wireless broadband at €30 per month : East Cork broadband covers county Cork

For VOIP provider, there are 2 providers :

- Vomino with Standard plan at €9.99 per month
    - Blueface with Starter plan at €12.28 per month

Combining a Wireless broadband with a VOIP provider, you get a Broadband + Phone line at €39.94 per month

Option C : ADSL or Fiber broadband + VOIP - €44.94 per month
    If you live in area where you have good broadband signal, you should go for this option where you get broadband only from one provider and get VOIP from a different provider.

For broadband provider, there are 2 providers that offers the best product for your money:

- Digiweb Fiber broadband at €34.95 per month
    - Vodafone Simply broadband Vodafone at €35 per month

For VOIP provider, there are 2 providers :

- Vomino with Standard plan at €9.99 per month
    - Blueface with Starter plan at €12.28 per month

Combining Vodafone simply with a VOIP provider, you get a Broadband + Phone line at €44.94 per month

If anyone know how to save on phone bill by combining broadband only and VOIP, please let us know, everyone reading post is interested.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Digiweb provide their own VoIP services in-built with Metro and VDSL. No need to get a separate VoIP provider with these products.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

At the very least ring Eircom and tell them you plan on cancelling and moving elsewhere. They will offer you the €33 for 6 months new customers deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

or go for UPC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Is there a broadband only option with no landline with Eircom?

Rarely use the landline anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

boobar wrote: »

No they force you to pay for a line you may not need or want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Mobile 'broadband' is not broadband.
    Go over to the broadband forum. It's not allowed to be discussed there. :D

It has it's own sub-forum called 'Midband'.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Suppose I leave Eircom for another DSL provider.

1. Do I give Eircom notice?
    2. If so how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭ted1

foggy_lad wrote: »

The line carries the data, so you do need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Reedsie wrote: »
    At the very least ring Eircom and tell them you plan on cancelling and moving elsewhere. They will offer you the €33 for 6 months new customers deal.

I am leaving eircom as soon as my line is fixed. It's heading for 1 month and if these people can't fix a line nor apologise for it then I doubt they will offer a reduced6 months offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Peter File

ted1 wrote: »
    The line carries the data, so you do need it.
    vodafone do fibre broadband with no line rental for €35 per month. Eircom force you to pay for phone as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

foggy_lad wrote: »

Not so. I have standalone fibre broadband with Eircom. Currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Mobile 'broadband' is not broadband.
    Go over to the broadband forum. It's not allowed to be discussed there. :D

It has it's own sub-forum called 'Midband'.

This is what my phone pulls in Limerick City on the 4G network. Not too shabby, and not a bad hotspot on the go. I am on a €25 eMobile plan with 7.5GB/Month. My home 'Broadband' (which I can discuss on the broadband forum) is 2Mbps.

B7y3mWGCMAUdSyx.png:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

boobar wrote: »

Yes, Eircom do data only packages, don't think it's any cheaper though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

wingnut wrote: »
    This is what my phone pulls in Limerick City on the 4G network. Not too shabby, and not a bad hotspot on the go. I am on a €25 eMobile plan with 7.5GB/Month. My home 'Broadband' (which I can discuss on the broadband forum) is 2Mbps.

B7y3mWGCMAUdSyx.png:large

Don't tell your neighbour cos when you do it's halved. With mobile the speeds quoted are what everyone shares. It's early days for 4G, wait till they oversell it, cos they will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Digiweb provide their own VoIP services in-built with Metro and VDSL. No need to get a separate VoIP provider with these products.

Their voip rates are terrible, I'd spend more on a single phone call to my family in the US or my family in the UK than 4 months with a finarea/betamax package see various prices here .

If you want to keep your irish number you can keep it with goldfish.ie for a couple of euros a months then put all your outgoing calls through betamax.

For example Digiweb vs Betamax
    Ireland mobile 20.95c vs 2.5c
    Ireland local 4.29c vs 0c
    UK landline 14.89c vs 0c
    UK mobile 39.95c vs 8c
    US mobile/landline 18.19c vs 0c

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I regularly hassle Eircom and get a new deal. I currently have a contract until May, so are you saying I could pull out now, as I got this letter?

I was with UPC for years but it got pricey when I moved the TV to Sky. But a builder managed to cut the UPC cable where it comes into the house (didn't cut it outside, just inside), so I'm wondering if i'd have a problem getting UPC back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Option B : Wireless (microwave) broadband + VOIP - €39.94 per month
    If you live in rural area or urban area where you do not have good broadband signal, you should go for this option where you get broadband only from one Wireless (microwave) broadband provider and get VOIP from a different provider

Living in a rural area - we were SO GLAD when e-fibre finally rolled out to our area, as it has NO CONTENTION! Bear in mind that if you go 'wireless' broadband, be it microwave or satelite you WILL suffer from contention issues. I speak from experience! We'd go for Eircom e-fibre ANYDAY!

BTW, you don't have to have a phone line with Eircom to avail of broadband... when we signed up we only went with e-fibre option, with NO landline, and our BB speeds were far better than our previous 'wireless' provider, and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 curiouscrater

I am leaving eircom as soon as my line is fixed. It's heading for 1 month and if these people can't fix a line nor apologise for it then I doubt they will offer a reduced6 months offer.

I had crossed lines neighbour heard very personal conversation (should have hung up I know but she didn't ), rang eircom , came out lost service for a month, had to ring several times no joy blamed contractors, still no apologies, no follow up calls, i made all the calls, told them finally i was going to comreg and viola someone rang and told me that all works three weeks previous were done and it was only a matter of connecting something small, so a month of no phone or broadband for a small connection issue. COMPENSATION, months landline rent, this is 3rd time in a year i was out, not once did i get an apology and no one rang me, note you have to make claim within the billing period of disruption as I wasn't aware i could claim so i asked for compensation for previous outages, that was the response! Out for more than 10 days entitled to compensation! hope helps, rant over!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Paying €40 for 100Mb with 100 free minutes with Vodafone, good offer imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

boobar wrote:

yes there is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭tippgirl123

Would this be able to get you out of the e vision contract? It is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Don't remember ever getting this letter. Definitely gonna use it to my advantage if/when it arrives.

Can anyone post up a copy of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

yes there is

can you provide a link please

Soarer wrote: »
    Don't remember ever getting this letter. Definitely gonna use it to my advantage if/when it arrives.

Can anyone post up a copy of it?

im same recieved no letter im paying 50 a month and can get voda for 35 if i can get out of my contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Eircom offer broadband only? Can you provide a link triple nipple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Not everyone got a letter. It depends on the bundle you're on as only some bundles are affected. I didn't get a letter but got an email. And I called and got a reduced €33 bundle for six months (unlimited broadband and free off peak calls). Suits me. It's €52 per month after the first 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Eircom offer broadband only? Can you provide a link triple nipple?

they do but don't advertise it. It's €43/month so still €8 more than Vodafone.

Rang them and rep didn't know what I was talking about. I wonder is this a customer loyalty offer of some kind?
    they do but don't advertise it. It's €43/month so still €8 more than Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭grinder23

Rang them and rep didn't know what I was talking about. I wonder is this a customer loyalty offer of some kind?

I'm looking at it in an Eircom/Emobile magazine I picked up yesterday and it is February edition it says €40 for up to 24mb speed or €43 for efibre both standalone broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

I have broadband only with eircom €40 a month, as far as they told me when i got it its only available on fibre but iv never seen it advertised

• Advertisement

Typical Eircom... I'll try again later.

Advertisement