Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Fry on confronting god after death

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Fry is nothing more than a pompous, narcissistic, and slightly boorish oaf who likes the sound of his own opinions.

The fact that he has managed to carve out a lucrative career as a social commentator on the back of this is a mystery to me.

As for him being gay........meh!

I've seen people say this a lot and they are all fúcking wrong.

Fry made his career in writing comedy and acting (and then presenting). Himself, Hugh and Emma Thompson made their fame through the cambridge footlights at the Edinburgh festival and they grew from there.
    He just happens to have a lot to say. He knows he sounds posh and he acknowledges the fact that for some bizarre reason people take his opinion more seriously coz he is well spoken. He isn't famous solely BECAUSE he has a lot to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I've seen people say this a lot and they are all fúcking wrong.

Fry made his career in writing comedy and acting (and then presenting). Himself, Hugh and Emma Thompson made their fame through the cambridge footlights at the Edinburgh festival and they grew from there.
    He just happens to have a lot to say. He knows he sounds posh and he acknowledges the fact that for some bizarre reason people take his opinion more seriously coz he is well spoken. He isn't famous solely BECAUSE he has a lot to say.

I do love a bit of fry and laurie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 muzzlemint

Fair play to Fry ... good answer ..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I can imagine the calls to Joe Duffy on Monday Afternoon after this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Confront God? I think I know how that will work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

billyhead wrote: »
    Well if they are Catgolics and act upon what they preach i.e 10 commandments surely it keeps them on the straight and narrow.

There are plenty of crimes that the 10 commandments don't mention including rape and sexual assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

And if they don't? :pac:
    I don't know anyone religious who follows all the teachings. They believe in god and go to mass (when not hungover), that's about it.
    They're nice people but no nicer than those I know who don't believe. They are voting yes on gay marriage and are pro-choice - those go against their religion.

In fairness to the old 10 commandments, there's nothing in them against gay marriage. Honouring your father and mother might be difficult without having both, but plenty people don't know their "real" father and mother and it can't be said they are sinning. And if the foetus isn't a person (now there's a question), that's not covered either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭random1337

This is cultural Marxism being implemented. With a bit of research you can easily find out 80% of prominent atheists in western media are Jewish. They hack away at Christianity in the media on a daily basis. It's already working as your average middle class tom joe is an intellectual atheist 'too smart' to believe on God. One of the things that unite us as the Irish peoples is falling apart. Our cultural identity is being destroyed. With the high levels of immigration, soon we will not even be bound by blood. We will be a faithless, classless, raceless society ready to become drones for the world elite. And this is happening all over Europe. But hey don't listen to me, I'm just an ultra right wing racist, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

random1337 wrote: »
    This is cultural Marxism being implemented. With a bit of research you can easily find out 80% of prominent atheists are Jewish. They hack away at Christianity in the media on a daily basis. It's already working as your average middle class tom joe is an intellectual atheist 'too smart' to believe on God. One of the things that unite us as the Irish peoples is falling apart. Our cultural identity is being destroyed. With the high levels of immigration, soon we will not even be bound by blood. We will be a faithless, classless, raceless society ready to become drones for the world elite. And this is happening all over Europe. But hey don't listen to me, I'm just an ultra right wing racist, right?

You forgot to blame the liberal PC homoerotic agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I'm just an ultra right wing racist, right?
    Pretty much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

This is cultural Marxism being implemented. With a bit of research you can easily find out 80% of prominent atheists in western media are Jewish. They hack away at Christianity in the media on a daily basis. It's already working as your average middle class tom joe is an intellectual atheist 'too smart' to believe on God. One of the things that unite us as the Irish peoples is falling apart. Our cultural identity is being destroyed. With the high levels of immigration, soon we will not even be bound by blood. We will be a faithless, classless, raceless society ready to become drones for the world elite. And this is happening all over Europe. But hey don't listen to me, I'm just an ultra right wing racist, right?

I imagine you wrote this in your basement, under a flickering bare bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

With mammy bringing him Doritos. :pac:

Of course, random1337 conveniently ignores the oppression of the working class that take place in more "Christian" societies before the early 20th century.

Pretty much.

I knew this would happen and that's okay, you can make fun of me I dont care. I'm entitled to my opinion. I believe every citizen has a country and a cultural identity. And he has a right to defend that country and identity.

If you go to Saudi you will be stoned to death for making fun of Islam. It may be a bit extreme but Muslims have the right to defend their beliefs and values in THEIR country. Here in Ireland, Christian bashing is accepted and encouraged.
    But here in the West we have to bend over and let foreign peoples do as they please and not respect the traditions we have here. And if you speak out against it you are called a Bigot, no life basement dweller. Which just happened from the responses to my post.

Tell me, people of Ireland. In 50 years when we become a minority in our own country, which will happen based on current demographic trends. Will Ireland still be Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I knew this would happen and that's okay, you can make fun of me I dont care. I'm entitled to my opinion. I believe every citizen has a country and a cultural identity. And he has a right to defend that country and identity.

If you go to Saudi you will be stoned to death for making fun of religion. It may be a bit extreme but Muslims have the right to defend their beliefs and values in THEIR country.
    But here in the West we have to bend over and let foreign peoples do as they please and not respect the traditions we have here. And if you speak out against it you are called a Bigot, no life basement dweller. Which just happened from the responses to my post.

Tell me, people of Ireland. In 50 years when we become a minority in our own country, which will happen based on current demographic trends. Will Ireland still be Ireland?

I already am a minority. But I agree, we should be more like saudi arabia. A few stonings will have crime at an all time low and if we beat anyone who dares question us they should learn to stop.

Of course, random1337 conveniently ignores the oppression of the working class that take place in more "Christian" societies before the early 20th century.

I'm not a radical Christian, I'm probably even semi-agnostic. I just recognise how importnat the traditional family values and moral values that come with Christianity is for the good of the Irish people and the European peoples. I understand Christianity isn't perfect like every world religion but it's portrayal in the media over recent decades is breaking down the barriers of our cultural identity.

I know 90% of people here will think I'm a nut-job but just ask yourselves, who runs the media? And then ask yourself who Karl Marx was and how his ideas on breaking down cultural identities can overthrow capitalism and lead the way to marxism/communism are relevant today. This happened in Russia (Atheist and communist country) where millions of white christians were genocided and it went unnoticed in our media over the past 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

My reponse is short and sweet. I don't believe in God. I would have much the same opinion as Stephen Fry but what I do have a problem with is people trying to shove religion and God on me. I don't care for God in my life. He bears little to no relevance To me. Some may say it's ignorant and where do I believe XYZ came from or how it came about. For now and the last 20 years of my life I couldn't give a fiddlers about it. Maybe later in life I'll form some belief but if it hasn't happened yet I dunno will it ever happen.

On the flip side Someone reminded me lately about the church or cathedral or whatever it is (see how little it impacts my life) around the twin towers was left without any windows damaged from 9/11 that does lead me to question it a tiny bit whether I believe or not but not enough to go to church or call myself Catholic or anything of the nature.

Yeah it wasn't that short of an answer sorry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

If you go to Saudi you will be stoned to death for making fun of Islam. It may be a bit extreme but Muslims have the right to defend their beliefs and values in THEIR country. Here is Ireland, Christian bashing is accepted and encouraged.
    But here in the West we have to bend over and let foreign peoples do as they please and not respect the traditions we have here. And if you speak out against it you are called a Bigot, no life basement dweller. Which just happened from the responses to my post

I yearn for the good old days of Celtic Paganism before this flash in the pan Christianity destroyed our cultural identity with their Latin / middle Eastern voodoo

I didn't mention that because that's essentially what Marxism is, just a different name for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm not a radical Christian, I'm probably even semi-agnostic. I just recognise how importnat the traditional family values and moral values that come with Christianity is for the good of the Irish people and the European peoples.

What exactly are traditional family and moral values? And what makes them exclusively Christian in nature?

If you go to Saudi you will be stoned to death for making fun of Islam. It may be a bit extreme but Muslims have the right to defend their beliefs and values in THEIR country. Here is Ireland, Christian bashing is accepted and encouraged.
    But here in the West we have to bend over and let foreign peoples do as they please and not respect the traditions we have here. And if you speak out against it you are called a Bigot, no life basement dweller. Which just happened fr the responses to my post.

I won't be one of the minority!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Marxism is an economic theory - what's with the applying it to anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I know 90% of people here will think I'm a nut-job but just ask yourselves, who runs the media?

Well in Ireland the most powerful figure is Denis O'Brien, are you gonna tell me his family are Eastern European immigrants whose real name is Obreistein...

But here in the West we have to bend over and let foreign peoples do as they please and not respect the traditions we have here. And if you speak out against it you are called a Bigot, no life basement dweller. Which just happened fr the responses to my post.

I won't be one of the minority!

I yearn for the good old days of Celtic Paganism before this flash in the pan Christianity destroyed our cultural identity with their Latin / middle Eastern voodoo

Stop making fun of me, I'm just trying to point out the dangers of Marxism, but it's looks like I'm getting nowhere.
    But you are naive if you think there isn't strange forces at work and don't question the systematic migration of foreign peoples into Europe since the end of WWII. Never before has a tribe or race used 'multiculturalism' as a means of progressing forward. Every species and group of humans in times past has battled and endured the elements for the survival of their own. NOT to bring outsiders in and live amongst them and 'outbreed' them. Lifeforms are selfish and only seek to provide for their kind, this new wave of Marxism is grossly unnatural to basic instinct.

I am in no way a White supremacist that some of you are accusing me of as I believe every race and group of people on Earth deserves their own lands where they can protect their heritage and base their laws and government on their moral values and way of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Zack Morris

Marxism is an economic theory - what's with the applying it to anything?

No, it isn't just an economic theory. Marx didn't believe in borders, which would obviously lead to immigration and multiculturalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    On the flip side Someone reminded me lately about the church or cathedral or whatever it is (see how little it impacts my life) around the twin towers was left without any windows damaged from 9/11 that does lead me to question it a tiny bit whether I believe or not but not enough to go to church or call myself Catholic or anything of the nature.

How nice a God that could protect a building but let several thousands burn to death or fall to their deaths.

Maybe that is proof of some sort of God - if it is I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

How nice a God that could protect a building but let several thousands burn to death or fall to their deaths.

Maybe that is proof of some sort of God - if it is I don't care.

If it is, then I still want nothing to do with this god. When the time comes I just want to die in peace in my sleep and that to be the end of it.

Stop making fun of me, I'm just trying to point out the dangers of Marxism, but it's looks like I'm getting nowhere.
    But you are naive if you think there isn't strange forces at work and don't question the systematic migration of foreign peoples into Europe since the end of WWII. Never before has a tribe or race used 'multiculturalism' as a means of progressing forward. Every species and group of humans in times past has battled and endured the elements for the survival of their own. NOT to bring outsiders in and live amongst them and 'outbreed' them. Lifeforms are selfish and only seek to provide for their kind, this new wave of Marxism is grossly unnatural to basic insti
    I am in no way a White supremacist that some of you are accusing me of as I believe every race and group of people on Earth deserves their own lands where they can protect their heritage and base their laws and government on their moral values and way of life.
    And Im just saying that since man came out of the trees we have moved about the globe, countries have changed, cultures have changed. Its always happened. It always will. Stop fretting.

Well in Ireland the most powerful figure is Denis O'Brien, are you gonna tell me his family are Eastern European immigrants whose real name is Obreistein...

I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a few of those in some high up positions in RTE. Anyway the ****e they pump out on Zionist controlled American TV is definitely rubbing off here with the leftist bollocks that's fed to the masses from RTE nowadays. Even children's cartoons are infested by subtle liberal BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a few of those in some high up positions in RTE. Anyway the ****e they pump out on Zionist controlled American TV is definitely rubbing off here with the leftist bollocks that's fed to the masses from RTE nowadays. Even children's cartoons are infested by subtle liberal BS.

What's liberal bs? Equality for women and gay people?

Advertisement