Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Time for a New Adventure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Excellent report, excellent result, congrats again Neady you're a total legend! I hope you're recovering well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I finally got around to reading that epic report. Fantastic performance once again and a report to match. How do you remember so much? Nothing can stop you.
    Will we see you in Westport mid July?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I finally got around to reading that epic report. Fantastic performance once again and a report to match. How do you remember so much? Nothing can stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Epic. Amazing tenacity and determination. Congrats!

Thank you WW :) I'm finally thawing out mentally and physically from it :)
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Neady you are a legend, it was a pleasure and an honor to be out watching and supporting you fantastic running! It was an amazing day I am just in awe of you and everyone else who ran, it was not easy in the heat or the attack of the midges unreal. I grew up in the country as well and I never ever seen anything like it either:eek:

That is an epic report enjoyed every second of it :)

Huge congratulations on your 3rd place :)

Thanks again N, I'll never complain about the few midges down by the river ever again after that attack :D
    Ur simply class, congrats. :)

Thank you M, hopefully I'll catch up with you in Ballina soon :)
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    No words. Just awe. I would have bailed at the first midge to be honest. Barkley next ??

Cheers G, ha ha. I've a long way to go to get to Enduro standard to even consider Barkley but it's given me the confidence to start to consider something a bit longer :)
    Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Well done on a hard-earned podium Neady! That's a great read (have been saving it a few days to savour with coffee) and I don't envy ye running it in the direction ye did.

Thank you P, glad you enjoyed it. I cannot wait to get back on those hills, each hill and bump is etched on my mind.
    diego_b wrote: »
    That was some report there S, unreal stuff and great recall on the detail. Congrats on the podium place, definitely well earned and that's some improvement on time on the route. A finishing prize of granite is very apt for one tough (I mean that nicely) lady.

Cheers D :) Before the race I was constantly going over each section of the route in my head to prepare myself, I think that helps me to recall what was going on with my body and mind throughout the race. Glad you enjoyed it.

That was some read! The mental torture more so. Well done on that hard earned podium. Granite woman more like it!

Thank you M, think I've landed on the discipline that I enjoy most. Days like the ones we had on the Turks really helped to prepare the body and mind for it.
    Excellent report, excellent result, congrats again Neady you're a total legend! I hope you're recovering well :)

Back to full health now thankfully AM :) and thank you, you really were a massive help out there.
    snailsong wrote: »

Cheers P. I remember it all because for the three nights that I couldn't sleep afterwards, I kept reliving each section until I finally got it down on paper :D

I'd love to P and it's on my radar. Kie tells me that I shouldn't be running around the place killing myself two days before the wedding :D and the girls in the office are afraid I'll trip over myself and get bruised all over :D but I'm all on for it

• Advertisement

I kept track of my recovery after this years WW in an effort to learn for future races. Last years recovery didn’t go well. I ended up cracking a tooth grinding my teeth while I was running the hill in Wicklow and this turned into a long drawn out procedure involving anti-biotics, pain killers and eventually a root canal in August. Using pain killers to numb the tooth ache led to a back injury (gym and pain killers don’t mix) and it was September before I was back running. So this year, I was adamant that this race wouldn’t set me back too much.

June 10th to June 17th
    Monday: Went to bed wearing compression tights and propped my legs up on a few pillows. Woke at 3am last night with throbbing in my legs and couldn’t get back to sleep so I got up and lay on the floor with my legs up on the wall to see if an inversion of sorts would help. Fell asleep in this position so when my alarm went off at 7am, I figured that I’d head for the pool to do some stretches in the hope of getting an uninterrupted nights sleep tonight. Spent 15 minutes in the pool stretching my calves and quads and hopped into the sauna for 20 minutes.

Zero concentration in work. Warm Epsom salts bath in the evening. Normal service still hasn’t returned for my tummy so still on a liquid diet of chocolate milk :D

Tuesday:
    Massage: 60 minute light massage with my physio. I pointed out a few niggles and he identified a few tight spots at the back of my right calf and my left quad. Feeling marginally better leaving him and with an appointment for next week so that he can go deeper on the knots. He says that I can try a light run on Friday.
    Woke again tonight with throbbing legs.

Wednesday:
    Slept through the night last night. Hit the gym for 30mins of S&C followed by 20 minutes in the sauna.

Thursday:
    Appetite starting to return, hurrah. 20 minutes on the Wattbike and 30 mins S&C. MY legs have never seen so much of the foam roller.

Friday:
    3.1miles @ 9:45/mi. My legs work though they are heavy and slooooow.

Saturday:
    3.7miles @ 10:10/mi. I had Spanish and Austrian friends staying last night who both run so Kie and I took them to Knocknacarra for parkrun. Having not heard of parkrun before, they both really enjoyed the inclusiveness and positivity of parkrun. So much so that my Spanish friend has put the wheels in motion to set up a parkrun in her local park in Madrid.

Sunday:
    Rest

Totals for the Week
    Running: 1hr 07 (6.8miles)
    Wattbike/Turbo: 20mins
    S&C: 1hr 10
    Massage: 1hr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

I use compression thigh guards and calf guards for recovery, I feel they help, it may be a placebo but even that is a help, I can't sleep in them though, not at all. used to try but would wake up constantly so decided a good nights sleep without them on would be better than broken nights sleep wearing them. No issues at all with them during the day.

joey100 wrote: »
    I use compression thigh guards and calf guards for recovery, I feel they help, it may be a placebo but even that is a help, I can't sleep in them though, not at all. used to try but would wake up constantly so decided a good nights sleep without them on would be better than broken nights sleep wearing them. No issues at all with them during the day.

That's interesting, you might be right actually, another thing to try next time.

I wore compression shorts and calf guards for the race. I don't know about helping with blood circulation but they definitely kept the muscles from shaking so much during long races as last year my thighs were sore from all the movement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

moved to a new home as requested.another retiree

mossym wrote: »
    moved to a new home as requested.another retiree

Thanks Moss.

It's been mentioned to me a few times recently that I should relocate from the dark side so I figured that as I haven't a multi-sport or an adventure race on the horizon for a while, I may as well get some advice from the good folks over here on the AR forum :)

What started out as a log of an adventure racer has turned into a log of an ultra trail runner. My enjoyment of running and hiking has turned into a love affair of trail running and the longer the race the better.

My training doesn't have much structure at the moment (does it ever really) as my A race for the year, the Wicklow Way Solo, is over and at the moment, I'm mostly racing myself fit and enjoying every moment of it.

I've signed up for DCM and would love to have a crack at a PB there so I guess the focus for the next while will be on that (with a few trail runs along the way).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Welcome S! Another defector lol
    1 less reason to pop over to TDAR. Still a few there messing that originally started here though.

What is the current Marathon PB? With the miles you have been putting in, a bit of a structured plan and some MP stuff and you will knock it out

Welcome S! Another defector lol
    1 less reason to pop over to TDAR. Still a few there messing that originally started here though.

What is the current Marathon PB? With the miles you have been putting in, a bit of a structured plan and some MP stuff and you will knock it out

Thanks M, great questions.

Current marathon PB is 3:58:18 from the Eddie Murphy looped marathon (with that hill) in Sixmilebridge last November. I ran it by feel and with no specific training. I've a few sub-four hour marathons under my belt but haven't put in a training block or raced a marathon properly since Connemara 2017.

I did 4:05 in the Burren in May and I think the Burren is about 15 minutes slower then a road marathon so it would suggest I have a 3:45 in me. I'd be delighted with 3:45.

I raced a 5km in April and a 22:08 there suggests I have a bit to knock off my marathon time too.

I joined a running club in January so I'm doing sessions with them on Tuesday which has helped my speed considerably however since the beginning of the summer, I'm either recovering from a long race or tapering for a race so I'm no getting the most out of every session, that has to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Great, another log for me to read! I hadn't realised you had one. Looking forward to reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Hope this means more log updates :)

Are you looking at a plan for DCM:)

all going well I will see you before or after for a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Wow, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Caught up on all now as was well behind.

From the 5km PB to Scotland and Wicklow. You are incredible.

I can't believe your determination and your memory, never mind your mental and physical strenght.

Congrautlations S. What a few months. Incredible.

Baby75 wrote: »
    Hope this means more log updates :)

Are you looking at a plan for DCM:)

all going well I will see you before or after for a pint

If I can just get this up to date and hop on the plan, there will be more regular updates, I promise :)

I've downloaded the Meno marathon plan and adopted it to fit my club run on Tuesday nights in but I've a holiday coming up next week so I don't want to jump on it prematurely and then not stick to it.
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Great, another log for me to read! I hadn't realised you had one. Looking forward to reading!

Thanks Chickey, it's a bit of a mish mash of everything so hopefully not too boring :)
    aquinn wrote: »
    Wow, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Caught up on all now as was well behind.

From the 5km PB to Scotland and Wicklow. You are incredible.

I can't believe your determination and your memory, never mind your mental and physical strenght.

Congrautlations S. What a few months. Incredible.

Thanks you A :) Hopefully when I come back from holidays and get stuck into a plan that 5km PB will be reduced a bit more :)

June 18th to June 24th
    Monday: Circuits. Light class of circuits

Tuesday:
    Club session: wu, drills, 4xstrides, 2x(4x400m), cd, stretch
    Did the warm up and strides and managed 7 of the 400m but not with 100% effort. Still too much heaviness in the legs to go at full tilt. About 5 miles in all for the evening.

Wednesday:
    AM: 3.1miles @ 10:12/mi (32mins). Dragged myself out of bed to get this done before work in an effort to loosen out the legs before heading to the physio. Not feeling it this morning and stopped to walk a few times.
    PM: 80mins Physio
    Legs were recovered enough for him to go nice and deep and iron out the knots that were remaining after last weeks session. Tough session but legs felt lighter after.

Thursday:
    5.4miles @ 8:31/mi (46mins)
    Evening run after work and considerable more pep in my step this evening. The physio worked.

Friday, Saturday & Sunday
    Rest and wedding preparation shenanigans
    I had no motivation to run over the weekend and even though I was busy there were plenty of windows of opportunity. I’ve plenty of motivation to push myself out the door when the weather is terrible and I can get up at 5am when needs be but I have had no motivation for any training these past few days so decided to leave the guilt aside for a few days and see if the appetite returns this week.

Totals for the Week
    Running: 2hrs 15 (14miles)
    Circuits: 1hrs
    Massage: 1hr 20mins

June 25th to July 1st
    Monday:
    AM: 4.4miles @ 9:14/mi (40mins)
    PM: 5miles @ 8:51/mi (45mins)

Tuesday:
    AM: Circuits
    Box jumps, glute activation with the bands and some core work.
    PM: wu, drills, 2x(4x 1minute hill repeats), wd, stretches
    Distances: 0.12, 0.14, 0.13, 0.15, 0.16, 0.15, 0.14, 0.15
    Coach took us on a “school tour” for this one. We did a 3 mile warm up in and around Marlin woods and around a pretty overgrown, but very beautiful, meadow where eventually coach told us the session for the evening. 2 sets of 4xhill repeats on the meadow. Each hill repeat was 60 seconds over uneven trail through some long grass. It was a small incline so not a proper hill but enough to hammer the legs in this heat. As the trail was narrow we did this in single file so we had to find our place in the group.

First one off and we’re all a bit tentative. M, whos usually well ahead of me in the sprints was a little slower on this ground so I took the lead for the second one. For the third one, the guys ahead were slowing a bit so I gave a few shouts to push them on and some of them went behind me for the 4th and 5th ones while giving me a few shouts to keep me on my toes. 2 mile cool down to get back to the car.

Really enjoyed this session and it’s certainly put the pep back in my step, it was exactly when I needed. 6.3 miles in total.

Wednesday
    AM: 4miles @ 9:39/mi (40mins). Legs were tired & kinda stiff from yesterdays circuits & hill repeats so I took this as a recovery run.
    PM: 5.1miles @ 9:12/mi (47mins)

Thursday
    AM: Circuits. More band work and a pretty tough session to leave the legs shattered.
    PM: Reformer pilates. I’ve wanted to try this for a while so finally bit the bullet this evening. My flat feet give me some bother after long trail running so this was recommended as it works the core and the feet. Will definitely back over the Winter months.

Friday
    AM: 6.5miles @ 9:10/mi (60mins)

Saturday
    AM: 13miles @ 9:45/mi (127mins). Three of the girls from the club have signed up for DCM and have asked me for advice so I sent them on the Boards plan. This week had 11 or 12 miles on it and they girls were struggling for routes. We met at Blackrock in Salthill and I took them on a tour of the city, along the prom, up by the canal, in through the University and up around the pitches at Dangan (loo stop), up circular road (pit stop to buy some water), around by Westside, down Kingston and the caravan park to finish at Blackrock before it got too hot. We paddled in the sea after. The girls were chuffed with their new route and the miles flew by with such great company.

PM: Our club was hosting a track and field event for all ages this evening so headed there early to help with set up. I ended up running the standing long jump for the under 5s and under 6s. I have a new found sympathy for teachers after trying to organise them into groups and show them how to jump on the long jump. It was great fun though and they really enjoyed it before heading off to do a sack race. I was pretty wiped by the time the elite mile came around so I opted to pace a few people to sub-8 minute miles. A great event and fantastic to see Paul Robinson and the Chessers run 4:20s for the mile.

Sunday
    AM: 7.7miles of trail @ 1hr 50mins
    Some of the girls from the club have asked about doing some trail running so I thought that I’d introduce them to some of the prettiest and not so technical trails around. We headed for Fanore beach early on Sunday morning and headed up the road towards the “green road”, it’s all uphill so we took it nice and easy and when we got to the end of the easier section of the trail we turned around and pushed on for home. They loved it and were really impressed with how much less impact there was on the trail compared to the tarred road. A quick paddle in the water at the beach and we were on our merry way back to Galway.

Totals for the Week
    Running: 9hrs 03 (53miles)
    Circuits: 2hrs
    S&C: 1hr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Well done to the club on that event. Was friendly and well managed. Good to see how the fast guys and gals run ☺

Just on the hill sprints. Nice little spot if there isn't to many of ye and the end of doughiska road at traffic lights. I've used it a few times and found it good. Run up the cycle section of path and jog down the walking section. Any time I run there there has been nobody there. Also doughiska road from there up to top near dunnes is 1 mile of up and downs. Solid workout for the women to end with a few reps of them at LSR pace later on in plan....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

martyboy48 wrote: »
    . Run up the cycle section of path and jog down the walking section. ..

:eek::eek::eek:

Marty I'm very disappointed in you! :pac: #freethecyclelanes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

:eek::eek::eek:

Marty I'm very disappointed in you! :pac: #freethecyclelanes!

It's not in use I tell you!!! Plus not fit for use as there's lamp post in parts of it!!!! ☺

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Well done to the club on that event. Was friendly and well managed. Good to see how the fast guys and gals run ☺

Just on the hill sprints. Nice little spot if there isn't to many of ye and the end of doughiska road at traffic lights. I've used it a few times and found it good. Run up the cycle section of path and jog down the walking section. Any time I run there there has been nobody there. Also doughiska road from there up to top near dunnes is 1 mile of up and downs. Solid workout for the women to end with a few reps of them at LSR pace later on in plan....

Cheers Marty, it was a great evening. It was brilliant to see the whole community, young and old, out participating and cheering.

That's a good spot for the hill repeats, I'll mention it to coach though he usually doesn't do hill repeats with us. I think he was just having some fun with us on a really hot summers evening.

Will keep in mind the 1 mile section for myself, could use it to add miles to the Tuesday session as we get closer to DCM. Hopefully I'll see you join us for a training session some Tuesday evening. Ronnie is doing 100m training on a Friday evening too if you fancy something different.

July 2nd to July 8th
    Monday:
    AM: Circuits
    PM: 4.1miles @ 9:02/mi (37mins)
    Was getting itchy feet to get out for a run as it cooled down outside. Taking it easy this week as I have a trip to Donegal coming up next weekend so I did a few easy ones by the sea front. Bliss.

Tuesday:
    PM: Club session: wu, drills, 4x 100m strides, session, warm down and drills to finish
    1 x 1,200 5:22 (3mins)
    2 x 800m 3:27, 3:32 (off 3mins)
    4 x 200m 0:46, 0:47, 0:46, 0:46 (0ff jog to the start)
    Not feeling the love for doing a session when I got to the track, my throat was tickling and my belly was full of water but once we got going, I was ok. Coach used the marking on the grass from the event on Saturday for the session but even though it was on grass, the ground is quite hard and dry at the moment so it was hard on the hamstrings.

Michelle led out the 1,200m, I pushed at the front for the 800m and Niamh kept the gas on for the 200m. I concentrated on keeping a high cadence for the session to try and reduce the impact on the hard ground and work on posture in general. So enjoyable to be able to do drills on the grass and lie about in the warm weather when we were done. 6.6miles for the session.

Wednesday:
    Starting to feel a bit crappy and have a dose of the sniffles. My colleague working at the desk beside me is also sick so I rested up today. Have quite a big weekend of running ahead so will try to recover for that.

Thursday & Friday:
    Rest
    Feeling really crap with this cold and quite caught up in my chest so I suspect I have a touch of a chest infection. My throat is sore so I’m drinking lemsip like it’s going out of fashion.

Worked from home on Friday and tried to rest as much as possible before heading to Achill after work. Swung by Patry on the way to Achill to meet Fr. Kenny (a.k.a. Fr. Trendy) who will be going on a bit of a jaunt with Kie and I in a few weeks.

Saturday: Achill half marathon: 13.1miles @ 8:36/mi (1:53:27)
    Kie signed me up for Achill so that I could pace him around but with a lack of long runs and the fear of the hills in him, he decided to drop to the 10km at the last minute so I was left running this on my own. Met Snailsong, who was pacing, before a race for a quick hello and I was on my merry way.

I had a dilemma as to how to pace this as I was still nursing a cold and now a cough and I heading to Donegal after to meet Nop and co. for a scenic but hilly marathon the next morning. In the end I decided to go out easy and play it by ear.

Even though the sun was splitting the rocks throughout the rest of the country, Achill, being Achill, was quite overcast, misty and a little windy so conditions weren’t as good as they could have been however at least it wasn’t el schorcio. I stuck to my plan and went out just ahead of the 2 hour pacers and kept a steady pace up the first hill, after that I pushed on a bit, too soon for someone who was supposed to be taking it easy, but I was enjoying the hills so I kept going. I had to dip into my pocket for a few jelly beans around Dugort knowing that the ‘big climb with the ambulance’ was coming up. It was quite sobering to see a guy at 19km collapsed but being cared for so I pulled back the pace a little but I certainly felt the last 3 miles to the finish. You really do forget just how tough those hills are … tough but beautiful. As per usual, Achill put on a great event with lots of goodies on offer after the race. A quick cuppa with Snailsong and I hit the road for Donegal leaving Kie to head for Mayo.

Sunday: Magee Killybegs Wild Atlantic marathon: 26.5 (?) miles with 762m of elevation gain @ 10:00/mi (4:23:46)
    It has become a tradition for Nop and his friends, Koen and Lennart, from his home in the Netherlands to choose a scenic (and usually hilly) marathon and travel West once a year to catch up and go for a run. I feel like I’ve become one of the gang as Nop and I ran the Connemara marathon together last year and once again, I got an invite from Nop asking if I would like to run a marathon, this time in Donegal, with him. Who could say no to a scenic run catching up with a buddy 

The race start was brought forward as a precaution as high temperatures were forecast for the day so at 7:30am, a group of mad wans, including Nop and I, lined up in Killybegs and headed for Glencolmcille. Originally we had thought of going for a sub-4 hour marathon but Nop and his friends travelled the route the previous evening and upon seeing the hills and me admitting to my cold and tired legs, we agreed to run it at a pace that was enjoyable and not be a broken mess by the end of it.

This was one of the most scenic places that I’ve run in Ireland, the views are just spectacular, particularly the last mile into the finish line. Nop and I enjoyed chatting for the whole race and were forced to walk some of the uphill’s that were too steep to run. We learned after that even the people at the front had to walk one or two of the hills so that made me feel a little better at least.

My low point came around the 13 mile mark when we were faced with an outstretched hill that seemed to go on forever. Some cooling mist and quietness hung in the air. It always amazes me how you can run with someone in complete silence for long periods but still be so happy to have them by your side. The last 7 miles consists of a dog leg out and back to Malin Beag, an enjoyable section of the course as there were runners on both sides of the roads cheering each other on and we got to see Nops friends run down the hill against us. The finish was breath taking and we were smothered with Donegal hospitality. Tea/coffee, ice-creams and a BBQ after some hot showers before we were on our way home – if you’re looking for a well-run marathon that’s incredibly scenic, put it on your list. It’s not a PB course and even though we ran it at a reasonably comfortable pace, 26.2 mile of road running is dang hard on the body.

Totals for the Week
    Running: 9hrs 03 (50.4miles)
    Circuits: 1hr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Some going there S, you sure didn't pick an easy half to run the day before doing no doubt not an easy full!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The west and north west always has good rewards. Thanks for brining another part of it to life with your words (and legs!).

diego_b wrote: »
    Some going there S, you sure didn't pick an easy half to run the day before doing no doubt not an easy full!!

Cheers D. It was more of a run tourism weekend :) but really enjoyable.
    The west and north west always has good rewards. Thanks for brining another part of it to life with your words (and legs!).

There are some fantastic races over here, they may not be fast but they are definitely beautiful :)

July 9th to July 15th
    Monday:
    Rest

Tuesday:
    AM:20mins S&C
    AM:Circuits
    PM: Club session: wu, drills, 6x 100m strides, session, warm down and drills to finish
    1 x mile tempo (3mins)
    2 x 300m 3:27, 3:32 (off 3mins)
    Legs were still really fatigued from the miles and hills at the weekend so heading out to this session was more than ambitious. As there was such a small groups of us, coach had us doing some mobility drills using the hurdles. 10 hurdles lined up one after another and the first drill was to step over each one, one leg at a time with one leg in the air at all times to check hip rotation. We did a few variations of this before having to squat and go under each hurdle sideways. Interesting exercise to check mobility and strength.

I did the strides ok and managed the 1 mile tempo run but I was goosed for the rest of the 300m and 200m reps so sat out most of them. 4.3miles for a lack lustre session.

Wednesday:
    AM: 30mins S&C. Still feeling it in the legs from the weekend but hoping this will help.
    PM: 4miles @ 9:39/mi (40mins). Easy run around Salthill

Thursday:
    Rest

Friday:
    AM: 3.1miles @ 9:13/mi (30mins)

Saturday:
    Early start. Set out for Dublin in the wee hours to catch the first ferry to Hollyhead. Frank and Jacqo from team ARSE, my brother and I arranged a catch up with Lonan in Llanberis (pronounced Clanberis) to check out the SCOTT Snowdonia Trail marathon. We stayed in Trotters hostel in Caernarfon, a 20 minute drive from the start of the race in Llanberis. On Saturday we picked up our race packs, headed out for a good feed and hit the hay relatively early.

Sunday: Snowdonia Trail marathon: 27miles with 1,700m of elevation gain (6:01)
    Kicked off this race in good form but I very quickly realised that this wasn’t a day for heroics – still some tiredness in the legs from last weekend. I really struggled going up the first two climbs and wondered if there’d be any power in my legs to get me the whole way around the course. By about 12 miles I was starting to pick up some sort of mementum and was finally happy to be passing some of the hordes of people who had passed me earlier in the race. The course is pretty undulating with some technical sections until you get to mile 17 where the real climb starts. From here there is a long hard slog up Snowden mountain for about two miles via the Pyg track. It’s an absolute ball buster but very worth it when you pop your head out at the top of the track and see the 6 miles of downhill before your eyes. I was conscious of not falling on the steep and gritty downhill back into Llanberis as I could do without any broken bones for next weekend so did this more conservatively than normal. Great finish to the race, brilliant atmosphere. 28th female overall and 16th in my age category.

Frank, Jacqo and Gerry who hadn’t done a trail race abroad before were blown away by the atmosphere and organisation at the end, so much so, they’ve booked their place in next year’s race already. If you’re considering racing abroad, I’d recommend this one for ease of getting to and it’s beauty.

Totals for the Week
    Running: 8hrs 52mins (42.9miles)
    Circuits: 1hr
    S&C: 50mins

July 16th to July 22nd
    A damp squib of a week this week. Had a few things to organise for the wedding, some projects to wrap up at work and a few dinners out to celebrate and catch up with friends.

Monday:
    4.5miles @ 9:39/mi (43mins)
    Woke early to a damp morning in Carnefron and headed out for a short leg loosener by the water. An out and back route on some quite roads was just the ticket to help the legs recover from yesterdays hills.

Tuesday to Thursday:
    Nada

Friday:
    3.2miles @ 8:25/mi (29mins)

Saturday & Sunday:
    Much champagne was consumed on Saturday evening with all of our neighbors and on Sunday we headed to Westport to meet up with Rachel and Kies best woman Lorraine for a celebratory dinner and logistical run through. More wine and champagne consumed :rolleyes:

Embarrassing Totals for the Week
    Running: 1hr 12mins (7.7miles)

July 23rd to July 29th
    Monday
    Hike up Croagh Patrick: Probably the biggest test of endurance that I’ll ever do in my life.
    Kie, two friends of ours, Rachel and Lorraine, Fr. John Kenny and I, set off from the car park in Murisk at 9am to head to the top of the reek for 11amish. With backpacks, full of shoes, candles and some paper work, on our backs, a suit and a couple of dresses covered in black plastic bags swinging wildly from our back packs, our small group made our way up the Reek. Driving out to Murisk we could see the sheets of mist pouring in from the sea and we were slightly worried that we may have to downgrade to Plan B however Rachel and Fr. Kenny were rearing to go when we parked up so there was no other option but to stick with the plan.

I’ve done many hikes over the years in so many beautiful places but this one was most definitely the best, most special and memorable hike that I’ve ever done. We had laughs and giggles from the moment we set foot on the Reek, we gave out about the rain and were overjoyed when the mist and fog ahead of us cleared suddenly to reveal the cone in all its glory – a special and somewhat romantic moment. When we got to the shoulder Fr. Kenny asked us all to pick up a small stone, which we did, and when we got to the small mound of rocks at the bottom of the cone, we each circled it, letting go of and troubles or any doubts and our stones with them.

Thankfully the rain eased off and we had a dry assent up the cone. At the top, Fr. Kenny gave Kie and I the keys to the little chapel and we had the honour of unlocking the great door to the most intimate chapel that you can imagine. Kie went about getting changed behind the alter and the girls and I changed in one of the “wings” that have been built onto the chapel. In the little wing there were buckets all over the floor as the roof was leaking and the floor was covered in rain water. Rachel and myself laughed about it being the most interesting transition area we’d ever been in :D talk about an adventure. It wasn’t the fastest transition ever but it wouldn’t have lost us the race either.

Rachel and I were shooed outside and we took shelter at the side of the church while a mystic fog swirled around us. In just a few minutes Rachel, followed by me, walked through the door of the Chapel. My eyes were focused on Kie, standing in front of the alter, as I walked into the small Chapel. As the priest started the short but powerful and memorable ceremony, Kie whispered to me that he couldn’t believe that they were all here. I turned to see eight of my best hiking buddies inside the chapel. Snailsong, from around these parts, and his beautiful daughter were among the group that had carefully orchestrated a stealth hike up the other side of the Reek in a bid to surprise us and surprise us they did. It was the sweetest and most heartfelt moment and I can’t even put into words how much it meant to Kie and I. I dang nearly ruined whatever make-up was left on my face (after the rain) because of them ;) but I’ll forgive them for that.

Luckily we had some prayers of the faithful so all of the group were able to take part in the mass in some small way. Fr. Kenny gave a heartfelt and touching rendition of the words of the song Tabhair dom do Lámh to close the ceremony (the less said about the Belgian tourists snapping away and kind of stealing the moment during this part, the better  ). Before we knew it, we had said ‘I do’, signed on the dotted line and were walking around the top of Croagh Patrick in a white dress and a suit :D. Unfortunately, there was no view of Clew Bay from up top but lots of fog to create a very romantic setting in true Irish mountain style. All too soon we were changing out of our frocks and back into our trusted hiking gear for a hike down the hill.

Fr. Kenny, the man who thinks of everything, had brought a mini speaker and put together a playlist of the most classic love songs and played them aloud as our small group practically danced our way down the hill. Half way down the hill, the fog and mist cleared and it was suggested that we do a quick change of clothes so that we could get some photos with the beautiful view of Clew Bay as a backdrop. Nothing for it but to put back on the dress and suit (as you do) with nothing to hide behind (the poor tourists) but it was worth it as we have some really beautiful photos.

Before long we were back in Murisk car park as husband and wife. It’s tradition to have a drink in Campbells so in we went for a beer and some snacks before heading off to the hotel for a meal with our families. It was the most perfect day in every way.

Tuesday to Friday
    Recovery and on Thursday we took a flight to Verona and got a train to Bolzano. We’d booked this trip before we got engaged so we more or less fitted the wedding around it. The reason for the trip was to do the Sudtirol Sky Run. Kie signed up for the 27km and I had originally signed up for the 69km however I dropped to the 42km once we decided to make it would be part of our honeymoon. On Friday we registered, picked up our race packs, arranged logistics with some friends of ours who live there and were going to do the 27km race and hit the hay.

Saturday: Sudtirol Sky Race: 26.9miles with 3,000m of elevation gain (7:25)
    This race starts in Bolzano at 280m and climbs over Soprabolzano before making it’s way through Pemmern and reaching 2,260m at Corno Di Renon. There’s a short descent after the feed station at Corno Di Renon before we climb once more to 2,460, the highest point of the day at M. Forcella Sarentina. From here we descended for the final 12km and finished in the small town of Sarentino.

With 3,000m of elevation gain in the first 30km, I was interested to see what kind of a race this would be and it was unlike any other race that I’ve done. The climbing is just incredible, difficult and ball busting, it’s steep, technical and slow but bloody beautiful. We passed under cable cars, through forests, we traversed through boulder fields, around lakes that are cut off from everything and through tiny villages in the mountains. It’s a breath taking and well organised race however over the first 30km there was more fast hiking than running. Little sections were runnable and I ran as much as I could but in total not that much really.

I was really looking forward to the last 12km of downhill and finally ticking off the miles at a decent pace however after a short mile on forest trail, the route took us through some very steep technical trail in the forest which made the going quite slow. Loved this race though and would love to give the 69km route a go next year.

Sunday:
    To get out of the heat in Bolzano we took a cable car up Soprabolzano and then the train to a little village called Renon where we did some hiking on the trails and visited the Pirimidi di Terra. An interesting trip up the hills and out of the blistering heat of Bolzano.

Totals for the Week
    Running: 7hrs 25mins (26.9miles)
    Hiking: 9hrs (very slow)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

OMG i'm crying reading all of that. Congratulations on what sounds like the most amazing wedding day and honeymoon. I have plans to do the reek in a few weeks time and i'll be thinking of your day now! What a fantastic start to married love, i hope the adventure continues and i have no doubt it has just begun x

Advertisement