Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a New Adventure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Thanks Neady I am still on a high and feeling good legs are not as sore as I thought they would be! I need more practice on my uphill climbing loads catches me there.
    Cracking report Neady I was reliving it with you esp that last hill and then you went and raced a 10 miler :D well done and I love the idea of your honeymoon with a race as well :D

I missed my tailwind so much on Saturday, we have some left but I am saving it for hubby this weekend! I have seen the recovery drink do you find it good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

53miles along the West Highland Way iirc (#jealous)

Well done on the racing Neady but you're mad to be doing two races in a row!

Yup, 85km and 2,300m in new money from Tyndrum to Glasgow :) with 860 other people :eek: I was bowled over by the amount of people in the race on Saturday, I won't know what to do with myself in Scotland :) Really looking forward to a different adventure.

Cheers HSR, I know, I'm probably on a hiding to an injury the way I'm going :eek: but I feel ok and I'll take it easy this week. Hopefully it'll stand to me in Wicklow in June.

Baby75 wrote: »
    Thanks Neady I am still on a high and feeling good legs are not as sore as I thought they would be! I need more practice on my uphill climbing loads catches me there.
    Cracking report Neady I was reliving it with you esp that last hill and then you went and raced a 10 miler :D well done and I love the idea of your honeymoon with a race as well :D

I missed my tailwind so much on Saturday, we have some left but I am saving it for hubby this weekend! I have seen the recovery drink do you find it good.

I need practice on the downhills as all my hard work on the climbs was being undone there. When I see people taking spills, I tense up and slow down.

It was my first time using Tailwind recovery on Saturday and I don't usually use recovery drinks so I've nothing to compare it to but it took the hunger away and meant I could get on the road straight away after the race. Would I have felt as fresh on Sunday without taking it, I'm not sure.

Neady83 wrote: »
    I need practice on the downhills as all my hard work on the climbs was being undone there. When I see people taking spills, I tense up and slow down.

It was my first time using Tailwind recovery on Saturday and I don't usually use recovery drinks so I've nothing to compare it to but it took the hunger away and meant I could get on the road straight away after the race. Would I have felt as fresh on Sunday without taking it, I'm not sure.

judging by how good tailwind is, the recovery drink has to be good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

What's involved in the highland fling?

For AGYR:
    https://www.facebook.com/flingrace/videos/1134951989912259/

Had just been having a little watch of this myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

For AGYR:

Ha ha thanks, that looks amazing, some ridiculously fit people in that video!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done on the racing Neady but you're mad to be doing two races in a row!

Don't tell her about your plans for July :rolleyes::D

For AGYR:

Thanks HSR, wow, that looks incredible. Now that I can finally taper, I better start swotting up on the course. What kind of trail runners do you think they're wearing? They don't seem to have big lugs so maybe I can go for something more cushioned. or swap between the Salomon and road runners at some checkpoint.
    Ha ha thanks, that looks amazing, some ridiculously fit people in that video!

I certainly won't be running at that sorta speed at any point throughout the race.
    nop98 wrote: »
    Don't tell her about your plans for July :rolleyes::D

Ha ha the WW? that's early June .... you need to get training ;)

For AGYR:

That looks amazing :)

Neady, I am hoping to make it out to help out for the WW or at the very least support :)

Oh and The Race :eek: after seeing first hand the brilliance and enormity of it anyone who takes it on is amazing!!! we helped one poor lady who was frozen after her kyack it was scary how bad she was! I would hate to see what it is like in bad weather :eek:

Thanks HSR, wow, that looks incredible. Now that I can finally taper, I better start swotting up on the course. What kind of trail runners do you think they're wearing?

Ah, I'm clueless and I can't advise on that. Quite a bit of the WHW is gravelly/packed trail, so road runners might do for many segments - of course there probably are other patches where a bit of grip would help. Or if it's wet .....

Ask an expert and not myself ;). You could discuss on their fb page maybe....

I'm not really telling you off on the races, I'm just envious that's all!

• Advertisement

April 9th to April 15th

Monday:
    The stiffness form the Maurice Mullins has definitely set in so 25mins S&C and 20minutes in the sauna for me this morning.

Tuesday:
    AM: 1.5miles warm up on the treadmill (15mins)
    AM: Circuits – took it easy and laid off the lunges & squats
    PM: Club session: WU, drills, 5/6x1km off 3mins, WD, drills
    I opted for easy running for the session but joined in with a girl who found herself in no mans land for the 1km efforts and tried to run them consistently with her.

Wednesday:
    AM: 20mins Wattbike & 25mins S&C working on the feet and glutes
    AM: 20mins in the sauna to warm up the muscles
    PM: Yoga
    Kept this easy day very easy as still feeling the pinch from the weekend.

Thursday:
    AM:1.6miles @ 9:18/mi on the treadmill (15mins).
    AM: Circuits.

Friday:
    AM: 4.4miles @ 9:32/mi (42mins)
    Easy run around the pitches before work to keep the legs ticking over and prepare them for an assault on the mountains tomorrow.

Saturday: Maamturks Mountain Challege
    17.4miles +circa 2,500m (7hours)
    The Turks, as this challenge is affectionately know as is probably the toughest hillwalking challenge in the calendar in Ireland. This was my 7th year hitting the hills to do the traverse from Maam Cross to Leenane. John S offered to navigate and pace me on the challenge so I couldn’t refuse his offer. Lonan decided he’d join us for a training day and so I picked the guys up in Galway at 5:30am and we headed for the base of Corcóg hoping that we’d have given everyone a head start and registration would be relatively pain free.

Heading to registration, we bumped into MCOS from these parts, who was close to the top of the snaking queue that didn’t seem to be moving at all. Delighted to see M back on the circuit. We waited about 20 minutes and the queue wasn’t moving too fast so when M had been given his route card, we decided we’d head on without route cards and we were delighted when M joined us. How blessed I was to be heading out on this adventure with three top guys.

The first climb of the day is always the hardest for me, I find it quite difficult to get my legs going but we motored on up through the fog and I greeted the hikers that I know from various clubs around the country. John S knows the Turks like the back of his hand, Lonan was using his Suunto watch to nav and M was keeping an eye on his map while I just concentrated on not falling over and keeping up with the guys as we hiked the uphill’s and trotted the flats and downs. We checked in at the various checkpoints (or at least told them we were together with only M carrying a route card), had a brief chat with the super friendly volunteers and headed on our merry way. Down the steep decent to the Holy Well and the fog is starting to clear somewhat opening up the most beautiful views. Every time I’m here, the landscape is a different shade of green and brown and it’s never ceases to amaze me.

I’m feeling good, legs are happy and they’re able to trot along when the ground is runnable. I enjoyed this middle section of the Turks, once you gain height from the Holy Well, it’s pretty runnable until you get to Loch Maam Óige and the next check point. I’m kind of disappointed to see the huge erosion on the scree that leads down to the lake but happy to see the checkpoint. Here is a picture take on this middle section (credit: John U)

Turks%202018_zpsqzidmmp5.jpg[/URL]

And here's a pic of the four mad wans at the checkpoint at the lake (Credit: Kevin F)

Maam%20Oige%20Turks%202018_zpsf0jegzdf.jpg

The volunteers here tell us that though we started late, there are only 10 people ahead of us. Though this isn’t a race, it’s nice to know that we’re making good time. This last section is a bit of a ball breaker. There are two tough climbs, Maam Turk Mór, which is literally a wall of grass, and the formidable Col of Despondency. M pulls back a bit here as he’s starting to cramp but he’s done incredibly well to push himself to stay with us until now – he tells us that he’s not fit but really he’s a machine.

On the decent off Letterbreckaun, I spot two hikers and I vaguely recognise the backpack of one of them, it’s my buddy Ger S. John and myself bound down the mountain. It’s sooooooooo much fun coming down it as the grass is dry and you’re literally skiing down at nice clip. We start to zig zag up Maam Turk Mór and at the top we meet Ger S and my other buddy from Kerry, Billy H, who I met on my second ever traverse of the Turks. A brief chat and we belt on.

At this point Lonan has had enough of us and belted on and there isn’t sight nor sound of him ahead of us ☺ Another incredibly fun decent to the checkpoint at the Col, enjoy the views, thank the girls for standing out in the cold weather to punch the route cards that we don’t have ☺ and on we go up the Col. I’ve a love/hate relationship with the climb at the Col. It has three false peaks and it’s a leg burner – but it allows you to zig zag up it and savour the pain knowing that when you’re at the top, all the hard work is done for the day.

Once at the top, we follow the fence to the checkpoint at the top of Leenane hill and look out over Killary Harbour as Leenane emerges below us. Today the water is so blue it’s piercing and the sun shines through the clouds casting a patchwork of shadows over the surrounding mountains. I can't put into words how great it feels to be right at this spot on such an amazing day with such great people. We drop to the lake and take a right, making a beeline for the corner of the fence close to the Leenane hotel. Again this hill is thankfully dry and such fun to zig zag down.

John and myself trot into Leenane and John looks at his watch. 7 hours. Over 30 minutes off last years time and what’s more, we really enjoyed our day out. The Volunteers give us certificates of completion when we explain that we didn’t wait for the route cards but they know that we said hello at the checkpoints and the people at the checkpoints have been radioing in that we were out there. First girl home on the Turks again and happy to still be able to do this challenge and savour every minute of it in such brilliant company. Thanks in no small part to Lonan and John for hauling my ass around the hills once again.

Get the bus back to the base of Corcóg to pick up my car. I hop off the bus and have a brief chat with a guy I know before trotting to the car where the guys are waiting for me to unlock it so they can change into warm gear. I’ve briefly forgotten that I untied my shoe laces on the bus to allow my swelling feet expand. My shoe laces tie together, my feet lock and I go splat on the ground. Oh dear god, the absolute shame. Thankfully my arms and knees broke the fall and my face remains unscathed however I’m now black and blue and my knees are ripped to shreds. Seriously, you just couldn’t make it up. 7 hours on some of the toughest terrain in Ireland without a slip or a fall and I face plant on the road!!!!

Check out Lonans blog here and MCOS has a more eloquent account of the challenge here.

Sunday
    Tuamgraney 10mile road race @ 9:18/mi (1:32)
    Fourth race in the race series, I’ve registered, Kie is going so I may as well make a recovery run of it. Lovely race though it fairly gave Achill and Connemara a run for their money in terms of hills with almost 350m of height gain. I enjoyed the hills and despite an incident with a fella who threw a bottle over the ditch, I really enjoyed it. The skinned knees and hands and bruising on my arms are the only give away that I was on the hills yesterday.

Totals for the week
    Running: 10hrs 40mins (40miles)
    Circuits: 2hrs
    Wattbike: 20mins
    S&C: 2hrs 15mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Once at the top, we follow the fence to the checkpoint at the top of Leenane hill and look out over Killary Harbour as Leenane emerges below us. Today the water is so blue it’s piercing and the sun shines through the clouds casting a patchwork of shadows over the surrounding mountains. I can't put into words how great it feels to be right at this spot on such an amazing day with such great people.

First girl home again!! Congrats on that, I remember how thrilled you were last year with that particular prize :). Another fab report, I've been in Killary at the water looking up at the mountains all around, the photo I took was my screen saver for a few years (must dig it out!). I can only imagine what it's like to be looking down at the water on a clear day, fabulous!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I love that you put that mountain challenge into your summary update as RUNNING miles!

It was a pleasure to be out in the hills with you guys. Just love your attitude

A 10 mile road race the next day, you are mad! I couldn't walk!!!

I love the pictures !congrats on first girl home and you poor thing falling sounds ouch! but did not stop you running the next day how do you do it my legs would be hanging off me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Nice update there S and great shots, you can only laugh really when you think of a fall like that...as you say 7 hours on mountains et al and then danger occurs when back on level ground....you could hardly believe it would happen.
    Agree with you on the incident with the bottle there, you see absolute morons flinging bottles into fields and ditches well off the likely clean up path during races. Just staggers me the ignorance you see in this world at times. Either keep it with you, if you must drop it then leave it beside a mile marker...surely you can hang onto the bottle for 5 mins or so. I usually race in shorts with pockets in them if I know I might have stuff I want to carry or keep. Then leave the empty bottle at the next water station. See also gel wrappers on the ground!

Baby75 wrote: »
    That looks amazing :)

Neady, I am hoping to make it out to help out for the WW or at the very least support :)

Oh and The Race :eek: after seeing first hand the brilliance and enormity of it anyone who takes it on is amazing!!! we helped one poor lady who was frozen after her kyack it was scary how bad she was! I would hate to see what it is like in bad weather :eek:

Paul and his team did amazing in Donegal :) Go team Kelly :) I hope you enjoyed it, it's a great buzz. My other half really enjoyed supporting last year.

The WW is being run in the opposite direction this year so will hopefully make it easier for supporters/volunteers to get out on the latter stages closer to Marley Park. It also means that we'll have daylight going over Djouce and get to see those views again :)

First girl home again!! Congrats on that, I remember how thrilled you were last year with that particular prize :). Another fab report, I've been in Killary at the water looking up at the mountains all around, the photo I took was my screen saver for a few years (must dig it out!). I can only imagine what it's like to be looking down at the water on a clear day, fabulous!

Some fine day, we'll head up that hill from the Western Way side and enjoy those views from above AM :)
    I love that you put that mountain challenge into your summary update as RUNNING miles!

It was a pleasure to be out in the hills with you guys. Just love your attitude

A 10 mile road race the next day, you are mad! I couldn't walk!!!

Anything that I qualify as training for the Wicklow Way is being labeled running M :) Though I know we were only able to run sections of it but I'll be using a similar strategy in Wicklow.
    diego_b wrote: »
    Agree with you on the incident with the bottle there, you see absolute morons flinging bottles into fields and ditches well off the likely clean up path during races. Just staggers me the ignorance you see in this world at times. Either keep it with you, if you must drop it then leave it beside a mile marker...surely you can hang onto the bottle for 5 mins or so. I usually race in shorts with pockets in them if I know I might have stuff I want to carry or keep. Then leave the empty bottle at the next water station. See also gel wrappers on the ground!

I've seen people do it with the bottles so many times and I've said nothing and the one time that I open I mouth I got a tirade of abuse :rolleyes: but I felt better for saying it and I was faster than him so I was able to run away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I've seen people do it with the bottles so many times and I've said nothing and the one time that I open I mouth I got a tirade of abuse :rolleyes: but I felt better for saying it and I was faster than him so I was able to run away :D

Good for you ! Both for challenging him on it and being faster :D. Honestly, what goes through someone's mind - nothing probably :rolleyes::rolleyes: - when they do something like that :mad:

Paul and his team did amazing in Donegal :) Go team Kelly :) I hope you enjoyed it, it's a great buzz. My other half really enjoyed supporting last year.

The WW is being run in the opposite direction this year so will hopefully make it easier for supporters/volunteers to get out on the latter stages closer to Marley Park. It also means that we'll have daylight going over Djouce and get to see those views again :)

They did Fantastic and I was esp proud of Paul he bounded up and down Muckish and surprised a few people ( they think we are mad because we love trail running) but he also helped other competitors whenever he could. we had 5 other guys doing the solo including Alva who was amazing one of our guys had an awful time in the kyack he was trying to eat and was very sick and ruined his food. the crossing went from calm waters and no wind to very choppy and high winds he never made it past the first cycle but he was great and came back to cheer everyone home. I loved supporting it was surreal we met some amazing people and I can safely say I offered words of encouragement to every single person competing. we stayed until the wee hours of the morning cheering all of guys and gals home and one lovely man who was alone. he helped 2 of our group in transition only to need help from them during the last run to the finish.

I hope it is a nice clear sunny day for the WW the views around Djouce are amazing but even better when you can see the sea ah I would love to be fit enough for that maybe next year :)

April 16th to April 22nd

This week is both a recovery (Turks) and a taper week of sorts with the Highland Fling only two weeks away. I’ve a good block of long runs done and the ol body is feeling pretty tired so a step back is badly needed.

Monday:
    AM: 30mins S&C & 30mins stretching in the sauna after. I’m really feeling the benefits of hitting the sauna on Monday mornings after a long run at the weekend.

Tuesday:
    AM: 1.2miles warm up on the treadmill (12mins)
    AM: Circuits – mucho squats and work on firing up the glutes
    PM: Club session: WU, drills, 6x3mins @5km pace off 90secs + 4x200m, WD, drills
    This was a different format to what we’re used to so I was interested to see how I’d do on my own for this one. I reckoned 3mins would take me to roughly 600 or 700m so I knew how far into the second lap I’d get when coach Sean blew the whistle. Sean blew the opening whistle and we were off. My pacing was totally unscientific as I find it hard to run my true 5km pace on this loop as there are 4 corners in the loop and we run sections on grass so I ran at what I considered to be my km pace based on effort.

Paces were: ??, 7:01, 7:04, 7:14, 7:13, 7:14
    Went out too hard in the first one and figured with my heavy breathing that I’d never sustain that pace in a race. No data as I didn’t hit the lap button. Was on my own for the second & third and paired up with two lads for the last three which felt much better and more like a pace that I could sustain for 5km. 4x200m after and I was cooked, nothing left in the legs for them and fell way off the group. Good tough session though and gave me some confidence for next weeks 5km in Caltra.

7miles in total for the session.

Wednesday:
    AM: 30mins Wattbike & 30mins S&C working on the feet and calves
    Headed to Dublin to give a presentation to the powers that be so late home and no time for a PM session.

Thursday:
    AM:2miles @ 8:58mi on the treadmill (18mins).
    AM: Circuits.
    Wedding dress shopping after work so no time for a PM session. One shop, 12 dresses and one chosen and ordered. Not a bad 60 minutes of work. Of course my friend and I had to go for dinner and a glass of wine after to celebrate. I’m pretty sure I’ve spent more time debating over the purchase of a rain jacket for running :D but the lady in the shop and my friend were delighted with my decisiveness.

Friday:
    AM: 3miles @ 10:06/mi (31mins)
    Easy run around the pitches before work. My legs, quads and hamstrings are in bits from the gym yesterday, we did a lot of squats and glute work and my glutes are most definitely feeling it. Barely managed to get around 3 miles.
    PM session was out ad we’d to do our marriage course.

Saturday
    No AM session as was stuck in the marriage course all day however we are now certified to get married in the church.
    PM: 8miles @ 8:44/mi (70mins)
    Rachel was about so we hit the trails around Dangan for a catch up and a run. It’s great to have friends who run, running and talking about life is magic ☺ Legs still incredibly stiff.

Sunday
    AM: 12.35miles on trail @ 11:38/mi (2:23)
    I’d promised some French students that I’d take them somewhere nice for the day but I also wanted to go to Connemara to cheer on my club members taking on the half and TBO doing the full so I devised a plan to head out to Maam bridge early, take the French up to MaumEan (while getting a nice run in myself) and be back at the bridge in time to see the runners and decant my jelly beans and coke.

Up and out early and we were parked up and ready for road at Joe Keans pub at 10:30, the French were kitted out in running gear so I was hopeful they’d be able to run a lot of it. I carried water and supplies for all of us. Off we went and of course we started climbing straight away, the two girls started to walk but the guy was able to jog along with me. We waited for the girls at the first gate as we entered the first section of trail and told them to keep going straight and we’d turn around at the Lough Inagh side and pick them up on our way back.

There was a nice headwind heading out and I wondered how the runner would cope with this wind on the Hell of the West. The ground was much wetter than I’d anticipated and I felt bad for the French in their runners, it must have rained a lot since last week. I stopped to try and pet some cute little lambs but they had no interest in being cuddled or being made pets of. These little balls of wool are tough Connemara lamb don’t ya know!!!

Really enjoyed the wet technical section by the little chapel, running through the streams and rivers and taking it all in. Turned around and back the way I went, caught the French group, gave them some supplies and told them to take their time and I’d see them back at the pub for tea and toasted sandwiches.

Just back to the car in time to see the front runners from the half pass by. I offered out my jellies and they were snatched out of my hands. I’d 12 250ml bottles of water and they were taken in seconds. These peeps really needed supplies. I filled some cups with 2ltrs of flat coke and again, gone in seconds. Cheered on my club makes who were running effortlessly. Took shelter in the pub when the French returned and we warmed up. The 4:30 marathons runners had just passed when we emerged to drier weather.

The students helped me to offer out cups of my last 2ltrs of flat coke. People were so grateful and the last of my jelly beans were gone in seconds. The students really enjoyed this and were able to rally the French runners in their native tongue. A cracking day with all targets achieved ☺

Totals for the week
    Running: 5hrs 40mins (33.5miles)
    Circuits: 2hrs
    Wattbike: 30mins
    S&C: 1hr

• Advertisement

Yay on picking your wedding dress :) exciting that is the hardest bit done now LOL
    I escaped that marriage course just by the skin of my teeth our priest said we did not have to do it, I think it was still optional at that point.

Sunday sounds so much fun I am missing the trails and hills and great you were there to give out much-needed supplies
    Good luck in the 5km when is it on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

I’m pretty sure I’ve spent more time debating over the purchase of a rain jacket for running :D

He's a lucky man, you have your priorities right!

Kurt.Godel wrote: »

A rain jacket is for life, not just your wedding day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Kurt.Godel wrote: »

A rain jacket is for life, not just your wedding day :)

Haha brilliant!

Very well done, S :)

Have been tracking.....

Very well done, S

Have been tracking.....

Thank you so much M. My god, the Scots know how to put on a race. I'm blown away by the organisation, support and kind heartedness of the volunteers and locals.

You live in a stunning country.

It's left me fairly battered but really happy with how it went. No friends made out there today, just head down and raced hard.

No friends made out there today, just head down and raced hard.

Clearly a serious racing effort if no new friendships were formed.

That is a really good result to get 20th out of 180+ women, there were some really strong runners in that race. Enjoy the recovery :)

April 23rd to April 29th

A week of racing. Grab a cuppa :)

Monday:
    AM: 30mins S&C
    Absolutely wrecked – stuck to the bed, cannot keep eyes open. Hello taper, I’d forgotten exactly what you feel like.

Tuesday:
    AM: 30mins Wattbike with 5x30sec sprints. Wake up legs
    AM: 3.5miles on the treadmill. Averaged 8:38/mi but threw in some sprints @ 7:00/mi to wake the legs up. No circuits as I’m shaping up for a race this evening :)
    PM: Caltra 5km: 3miles @ 7:05/mi (22:08) and a PB of 40 seconds whoop whoop
    Grabbed a lift off Lonan and headed to Caltra after work for the first race in the 5km series. Delighted to see so many club members here and we all warmed up together as per coaches instructions. I did 4/5 strides and lined up in my club colours for the first time.

Started much too far back in the pack, but where I thought I belonged, and got stuck in a lot of traffic in the first km but was able to maintain a steady enough pace. Kept pushing up through the field and raced this off feel. Kept pushing and passing and keeping my breathing under control (for the first 4km anyway). The road was quite rough from the 3 to 4km mark and I thought it was akin to trail. Met a few road blocks here with people three a breast but got around them. Pushed hard. Nearing the finish line, I could hear a guy shouting to come on and you’ll be sub 22:30 so I emptied the tank. Was in a heap at the finish line so happy that I’d pushed it. Watch read 22:09 but not sure if that was accurate. Results show: Gun time: 22:33, chip time: 22:08. Would have been 11th girl home if I’d pushed up in the starting crowd so a lesson learned and I need to grow a pair of ballz and start further up. Splitz: 7:04, 7:03, 7:09 (6:55). 7miles all in for the evening and so proud to be part of a club and wear Club colours, it makes the world of difference and most of us got PBs.

Wednesday:
    AM: 10mins Wattbike & 4.3miles recovery on the treadmill @ 8:58 (30mins)
    PM: Yoga

Thursday:
    AM:3.1miles @ 9:27mi around the pitches
    Tried out a new pair of Salomon Speetcross 4s. My old ones were 3s and I loved them but the Turks made toast of them. They owned me nothing though, they’d some amount of mileage on them and the rough terrain on the Turks was the final nail in the coffin. This run started out quite comfortably but 3km in I started to feel heat on the arch of my right foot :( loosened them, tied them tighter but no good, ended up walking most of the way home so as not to cause any blisters. Usually these shoes don’t require much breaking in but there’s high arch support in the 4s that take a bit of getting used to it. Only one option left for the Highland Fling on Saturday – the Saucony Xodus or road runners if it’s a wet day as the Sauconys are lethal on wet rock.

Friday:
    Rest and travel to Milngavie for the Highland Fling ultra trail race. I had to enter a draw for the Highland Fling and luckily my name got pulled, Lonans too and a few lads from Donegal that I got to know after the Race last year. Lonan pulled the plug on this race very soon after signing up as he’s decided to concentrate on a race in La Palma in May and the radio silence from the guys in Donegal worried me so I made arrangements to travel on my own. Flew to Glasgow, bus to the city centre and train to Milngavie, all seamless. Susan, from the Air BnB, where I was staying, kindly offered to pick me up from the train station and take me to her place.

Check in for the race was a five minute walk from where I was staying so I checked in, showed my identification, got my wrist band, timing chip for my ankle and race number. Grabbed some pasta and Cajun chicken in the pub where registration was and headed back to the Air B&B to hunker down for the night.

Saturday
    Ding Ding the Highland Fling: 53miles (2,300m) in 10hrs 33mins
    The race kicked off at 6am from Milngavie train station and the start of the West Highland Way. It was only a 10 minutes walk from where I was staying so I left at about 5:10. Got to the start and handed in my drop back with dry clothes for the finish & one drop bag for the 44km checkpoint at Rowardennan. There was an option to leave drop bags at 32km, 44km, 55km and 66km however these were for food only, no clothes or change of footwear, so I opted for one small zip lock drop bag with jellies, two sachets of Tailwind & a picnic chocolate bar in case I’d fancy chocolate at 44km. As there were 860 registered for the race, we were corralled, sub-10 hours, 10 – 12 hours and 12+ hours (15 hours cut-off). I chose the 10 – 12 hour corral as I’d done 80km in Wicklow in Feb in 11:20 so I was hoping for sub 11 on this one. My plan, to race hard from start to finish and run every section that was runnable, make all those long runs count.

Section 1: Milngavie to Drymen: 12.6miles
    The first few miles flew by, this section is all on relatively wide forest track and roads with only some rolling hills – nothing that would stop you in your tracks. In fact I was starting to get a bit worried as this was a lot or running, normally in Wicklow, we’d have met a massive hill at this stage that would warrant some hiking and have the relief of a downhill at the other end. I was hoping that a hill would come around very quickly but it didn’t. Exchanged pleasantries with some guys from Dublin, was glad to hear a familiar accent but left them to it as I wanted to push on today. Mandatory kit-check just before the first check-point, working mobile phone and a foil blanket, incredibly efficient and quick to get through. I top up with water at this checkpoint, spending less than 60secs there. Crikey, 20km of straight running with 65km left. This is going to be an interesting day.

Section2: Drymen to Balmaha: 7.2miles (19.8 in total)
    Out of the first checkpoint and finally we meet a hill where I can hike & get a breather :D It’s a climb up into Garadhban forest and I power up it, passing quickly by a lot of people as I plough on. Next up was the climb up to Conic hill, it’s a long and winding climb on single track but the views out to the right over a Loch are breath taking and I don’t forget to take them in.

Conic%20Hill%20drop_zpspkywd2ig.jpg

I enjoyed the decent off Conic hill so much, it was epic. With fresh legs, the large jumps off rocks, the technical bits and switchbacks were so much fun and I felt like I flew down into the next checkpoint.

Decent%20Conic%20Hill%202018_zpsj1j7j2pf.jpg

I top up both bottles here and pop a sachet of Tailwind into one bottle. Less than 60 seconds in this transition and I think that I’ve made up a few places here.

Section 3: Balmaha to Rowardennan: 7.4miles (27.2 in total)
    This is where the fun begins and the elevation really starts. It’s very runnable but technical and skirts around a beautiful beach. All along the way we pass hikers and lots of locals out supporting and cheering us on. There are marshals at all major junctions, keeping gates open and helping with road crossing and every one of them have a kind word to say. I make a point of thanking every single one of them. There is a nice sections of steps before the next checkpoint that keep you on your toes and remind you that this ain’t an easy race. Again, head down and keep running as hard as I can, I just need to get to the next checkpoint and I’ll reassess after that. I start supplementing my tailwind with some jellies from here, just to keep my sugar levels up. Into the Rowardennan checkpoint and the volunteers hand me my drop bag so quickly. They grab my bottles and refill them with rapid speed. It’s like being in a formula one pit stop. And I’m off out the gap again picking up another few places.

Section 4: Rowardennan to Inversnaid: 7.3miles (34.5 in total)
    There’s a nice hill that puts manners on you coming out of Rowardennan. I take the opportunity to drink lots and eat some more jellies keeping an eye on my watch to remember to eat and drink every 30mins. Next up is about 6km of quiet technical running with Loch Lomond just to our left. I’m in my element here and pass two to three girls and a few guys. There’s a guy right behind me and I ask if he’d like to pass, he says he’s good but asks would I mind if he gets a tow over this section, I don’t mind and tell him to push and we’ll work together. I’m buzzing here and probably running it a bit too wildly, dodging roots, jumping off rocks and bounding over stones. There’s no time to think of anything else but your next step and where your foot will land, it’s thrilling. Before we know it, we’re coming into the checkpoint at Inversnaid and the guy behind me thanks me for helping him over that sections so quickly, telling me that he’d never have covered that ground so fast on his own. I thank him for his help in pushing me on. Again, a marshal takes my bottles and fills them lightening quick. I’ve one sachet of Tailwind left so I ask for help from a supporter to open it. My hands are so swollen now that I can’t really use my fingers.

Section 5: Inversnais to Beinglas: 6.4miles (40.9 in total)
    Leaving this checkpoint, I’m in awe at the absolute carnage around me, I pass three or four guys puking and ask if there is anything I can do, they don’t even have the energy to shake their heads, I move on. Ploughing up the next hill, I pass quite a few people here. It’s at this point that people are starting to suffer. I am too but I concentrate on getting through the next 10km, that’s all I have to do. The next 5km is incredibly technical and a pain in the backside really. It’s slippy rocks, tree roots just wanting to trip you up and river crossings. It’s not much fun really but I come upon a nice lady with blond hair. She tells me that she hasn’t seen a girl in quite a while so is happy to see me. She asks if I want to pass but I’m getting tired now and don’t think I’ll get over this section much quicker than her so I tell her to take the lead but say that I’m happy to go in front if she’d like a break. She knows this course well so she’s best placed to lead the way. With fatigue setting in, we both have some near misses and you begin to realise that there is potential to end your race here. There are 3 or 4 guys behind us - we ask if they’d like to pass but they don’t. I should say that all day, if you want to pass someone on single track, you politely ask and vice versa, offer up a pass if there’s someone on your tail. We’re nearing the end of this horrible section and there are some rocks that we bounce down and the guy just behind me goes down on his ass with a serious thud. He’s wincing but I pull him to his feet and get him to keep moving in case he ceases up. He seems ok so I move on.

The next bit is more runnable but quite technical with lots of rocks and roots just waiting to trip you up. I take the lead from the blond girl but she doesn’t stay with me. We must have come into a checkpoint here but I cannot remember it.

Section 6: Beinglas to Tyndrum: 12 miles (53 in total)
    There are some nicely difficult ascents here and a really cool tunnel to stoop down and go through – stooping and going over styles at this stage was becoming problematic. Out of the tunnel and up some steep stepping stones and I’m smiling at a spectator sitting on a rock, I ask him how he is and he tells me that I’m smiling too much so I can’t be pushing too hard. He tells me that I should make it to the finish before the rain comes. The next section is rolling hills that you can see stretched out in front of you. I don’t like to see for miles in front of me, I’m getting tired so I vow to run as much as I can, every step that I run brings me closer to the finish line.

People are really fading on the track now so it’s getting easier to catch people and pass them. I don’t see any girls ahead of me though. Next up cow poo alley. I’d heard of it but didn’t think that it’d quite live up to it’s name. It’s about a km of a couple of inches of cow s**te!!!!! It’s slow going trying to negotiate it and I ended up with my hands in it once or twice. The blond girl catches me here, she’s faster on this stuff and I let her go, I need to finish this race at my pace as there’s still plenty of time to fail.

Finally we get to the end of Cow poo alley and there are some supporters and first aiders here at what they call “the big gate”. They offer me coke and I guzzle a cup of it before bounding on. Through the gate and up into the forest, I hear the sound of accordions and see two ladies nestled amongst the trees playing away and wishing me well – these people are incredible. This forest goes on for what feels like forever, I come upon two or three guys all carrying sore knees or ankles but well able to finish – we exchange pleasantries.

Across the A82 and onto single track that’s very runnable with only 3 miles to go. I’ve mixed feeling. This is very runnable and I’m so incredibly tired, my legs and feet hurt so much and I can barley lift my feet to run anymore. I remind myself of all the 10mile road races that I’ve done in the past month after doing long runs the day before, how tired I felt and how I was able to finish – it works. I summon the energy to keep on running (or shuffling at this stage). I can see a farmyard up ahead that we have to run through, there are only 2 miles left and I see 3 guys ahead of me, they’re walking. I consider just sitting back and letting them go but I want to finish this strong so I push on, congratulating them as I pass, they say the same thing back. I push on through the trails and meet a guy with a dog, he tells me that I should start to hear the bag pipes soon. I really hope I do, there isn’t much left in these legs. I push on, I see the guy with the bag pipes and it’s sheer joy, I turn the corner to the finish line and I’m gob smacked!!! There’s a red carpet finishing shoot, I’ve never seen one of these. It’s lined with flags from every country and people on both sides, kids wanting high 5s, cow bells ringing and the announcer calls my name. Unbelievable. I see 10:33 on my watch and I’m so chuffed with myself but also with all of these people so I start clapping them :D Can you tell that I'm happy to be finished?

FlingFinish2018_zpsdpfkoivq.jpg

A first aider comes over to me to take me to the tent, someone takes a quick pic of me with my medal with a backdrop, it’s all a haze. She takes me to a bench and sits me down, I tell her I’m fine. She kindly takes the timing chip from my ankle and gives me a goodie bag. There’s a bottle of Cava sparkling wine inside with a Highland Fling label. She goes off to get me my drop bag and I keep thanking her. She grabs me tea and chats for a while – she’s really making sure that I’m ok and then encourages me to take a shower before getting the bus back to Milngavie. She did this race last year and wants to give back to the competitors. It’s just unbelievable, I feel embarrassed with all this attention but they give it to every single runner. If only she knew that back in Ireland, we’d be hopping in the car to drive 2.5 hours back to Galway at this point :D There’s mobile hot showers and they are amazing. I’m just blown away by all of this kindness, I don’t know what to do with it :D

Into the food tent to be greeted with soup, baked potatoes etc. I grab some bread and opt for Tailwind recovery as my tummy will be a while returning to normal. Onto the bus and legs up to let the fluid drain. One of my goals this year was to travel abroad to do at least two races and I’m so very glad that I chose this as one of them. If anyone wants to do an ultra – this is the one to do.

Overall: 146/673 Finishers (just over 80 started I think)

Sunday
    A day of rest/full day travelling back to Galway.

Totals for the week
    Running: 13hrs (70miles)
    Wattbike: 40mins
    S&C: 2hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Super pictures and report! What a race! To borrow a phrase from aquinn: "well-jel"! The joy on your face is priceless. Great going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Smashed that sub-11 target, congrats! Great race and report.

Advertisement