Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a New Adventure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

snailsong wrote: »
    Not to mention Last one Running in Westport!

Glad to hear you're doing Dcm. Would you stretch to 3:40? I'm on the provisional list to pace that, subject to change of course.

Forgot about Last One Running ..... highlight of the year and really looking forward to it :)

I'll need to see how training goes before I could nail 3:40 to the mast. 3:45 seems like a stretch at the moment. I've no confidence in myself speeding up at all.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    That would be excellent :) I doubt I will match your time! at the minute I just want to run it although MM tells me I could do a marathon in 4 hours 30 minutes which would be brilliant.

Following the tracker was fun :) looking forward to the next time

Finishing DCM will be such an achievement, you can chase times next year :) This year is for enjoying it. You'll never get the chance to rerun your first marathon :)
    Hope you don't mind me interrupting your chat but just to let you (both) know there is always a big boards crew in McGrattans on the Lane after DCM each year, usually down around the back bar. If you can make it in there do, plenty of people who'll never have met in real life before but all know each other!!

McGrattans :) It's a plan :) We'll all have to wear post-its with our names on them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Just getting to read your WW report now Neady, fecking hell I'm wrecked just reading it! :) A great read with my Sunday morning cup of coffee though and an amazing achievement. Don't know how you it, I take my hat off to you. Well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Neady83 wrote: »
    Forgot about Last One Running ..... highlight of the year and really looking forward to it :)

I'll need to see how training goes before I could nail 3:40 to the mast. 3:45 seems like a stretch at the moment. I've no confidence in myself speeding up at all.

Finishing DCM will be such an achievement, you can chase times next year :) This year is for enjoying it. You'll never get the chance to rerun your first marathon :)

McGrattans :) It's a plan :) We'll all have to wear post-its with our names on them :)

I am enjoying the training so far I got hubby to run on sunday for the LSR which nearly caused a domestic, when I was telling him to slow down :D I have clearly been listening to the advice on Boards LOL but we managed to find a pace and go with it! I have 2 multi sport events in the middle of the marathon training so I am trying to figure out how to train for that as well any tips :)

we will have to put our user names and real names on badges :)

Annie thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Neady, I'm way behind here but glad I had the time to read your report on WW all in one go... honestly, between yourself and Ososlo on the Belfast 24 hour, I don't know which achievement is the most awe-inspiring. The fact that your 127k was done on the mountains in very challenging terrain shades it for me. The sheer bloody minded determination and doggedness that you display at these events is really phenomenal.

And I just love your delight at skipping down grassy slopes and up steep hills... you must have some mountain goat in your DNA :D

Don't be talking down your third place finish, that's a fantastic achievement... especially when you look at the small number of people who have finished it, you have a lot to be proud of.

I'm afraid to ask what the event is that you're accruing points for... :eek:

As for DCM... that's hardly even an event for you. You'll have to cycle to and from it to make it feel like a race :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Afternoon,

All ok, resting for the Summer?

• Advertisement

I'm back :):)
    Just getting to read your WW report now Neady, fecking hell I'm wrecked just reading it! :) A great read with my Sunday morning cup of coffee though and an amazing achievement. Don't know how you it, I take my hat off to you. Well done!!

Hey ED, thanks so much, I'm glad that it went well with your cup of coffee :) Need to pop over and catch up on your log, hope you've been doing good.
    annapr wrote: »
    Neady, I'm way behind here but glad I had the time to read your report on WW all in one go... honestly, between yourself and Ososlo on the Belfast 24 hour, I don't know which achievement is the most awe-inspiring. The fact that your 127k was done on the mountains in very challenging terrain shades it for me. The sheer bloody minded determination and doggedness that you display at these events is really phenomenal.

And I just love your delight at skipping down grassy slopes and up steep hills... you must have some mountain goat in your DNA :D

Don't be talking down your third place finish, that's a fantastic achievement... especially when you look at the small number of people who have finished it, you have a lot to be proud of.

I'm afraid to ask what the event is that you're accruing points for... :eek:

As for DCM... that's hardly even an event for you. You'll have to cycle to and from it to make it feel like a race :D

I've a bit of catching up to do myself Anna :)

That you for those kind words, I really appreciate it. I do love the hills, they add a bit more fun to a run.

Next up is the Kerry Way Ultra Lite, a 60km trail run from Sneem to Killarney, on September 1st. It's Lite because the full Kerry Way is 200km ..... I'm not mad enough to take that on this year ;) The Kerry Way Ultra Lite is worth 3 points so I will have enough then to enter the race in France.

Mind you training since Wicklow has been very little and very short so Kerry will be a bit of a struggle but I'll drag my backside around it in some shape or form :D

aquinn wrote: »
    Afternoon,

All ok, resting for the Summer?

Thanks for the nudge ...... it was just what I needed. I'm kind of back on the horse this week so it's high time I updated this log.

I've had some trouble with my teeth since Wicklow.

In short: the week after Wicklow I got a really bad toothache which my dentist put down to an infection - cue anti-biotics and pain killers for a week. Still pain, more pain killers. Referral to endodontist. Endodontist took x-ray, looked at it and asked me what sport I'm into - I cracked a tooth and it needed a root canal (it turns out that this is a common enough thing). I either cracked it grinding my teeth going up a hill or clattering my teeth on the way down a hill. Got the root canal done last week and I'm now pain free and no longer eating pain killers :)

Also had a bit of bother with my back. My own fault, went to the gym while taking pain killers and strained my QL muscle so needed a few sessions with the physio - he made me swear off training until I got my tooth fixed.

Lessons learned: Be more conscious of my teeth when I'm on the hills and don't train, even a small bit, when on pain killers.

That all sounds painful, I'm glad your fully mended now good to see you back 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

Thanks for the nudge ...... it was just what I needed. I'm kind of back on the horse this week so it's high time I updated this log.

I've had some trouble with my teeth since Wicklow.

In short: the week after Wicklow I got a really bad toothache which my dentist put down to an infection - cue anti-biotics and pain killers for a week. Still pain, more pain killers. Referral to endodontist. Endodontist took x-ray, looked at it and asked me what sport I'm into - I cracked a tooth and it needed a root canal (it turns out that this is a common enough thing). I either cracked it grinding my teeth going up a hill or clattering my teeth on the way down a hill. Got the root canal done last week and I'm now pain free and no longer eating pain killers :)

Also had a bit of bother with my back. My own fault, went to the gym while taking pain killers and strained my QL muscle so needed a few sessions with the physio - he made me swear off training until I got my tooth fixed.

Lessons learned: Be more conscious of my teeth when I'm on the hills and don't train, even a small bit, when on pain killers.

Nothing worse than a tooth infection, you're lucky it didnt turn into a full blown abscess which it probably would've done eventually without the root canal.
    Mind those teeth, i think I remember you having teeth problems before as well.

Baby75 wrote: »
    That all sounds painful, I'm glad your fully mended now good to see you back ��

Thanks Baby75, I'm glad to be back though not at all happy with my lack of fitness :D
    S.L.F. wrote: »
    Nothing worse than a tooth infection, you're lucky it didnt turn into a full blown abscess which it probably would've done eventually without the root canal.
    Mind those teeth, i think I remember you having teeth problems before as well.

Thanks SLF, yes .... 2017 will forever be known as the year of the teeth :D I still need to get a crown on it and I'm booked in to the Galway Clinic in September to get my remaining two wisdom teeth removed.

I've always looked after my teeth really well, it's just bad luck but I guess I'm in the lucky position to have a job and be able to pay the small fortune that it's costing. Others may not be as lucky.

• Advertisement

It's mad how something like teeth can really knock us like that

You won't be long getting back to where you want to be , it will come back very quick esp with level you were at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

Thanks Baby75, I'm glad to be back though not at all happy with my lack of fitness :D

Thanks SLF, yes .... 2017 will forever be known as the year of the teeth :D I still need to get a crown on it and I'm booked in to the Galway Clinic in September to get my remaining two wisdom teeth removed.

I've always looked after my teeth really well, it's just bad luck but I guess I'm in the lucky position to have a job and be able to pay the small fortune that it's costing. Others may not be as lucky.

Oh dont worry Ive had my fair share as well and I like to think I look after them too. Sometimes when you're run down from all the training the body breaks down and the weakest part can be the teeth sometimes.

I have to get a crown as well, damn teeth!

I've heard of people losing toe nails on long runs... but grinding teeth :eek: sounds painful...

How are you doing, Hope the teeth are all sorted for you now :)

So despie getting my tooth sorted, I still haven't returned to any kind of normality in my training. It's been one deadline after another in work but I've managed to squeeze a bit of running in when I can. The highlight was the Kerry Way UltraLite this weekend, a 58km trail run from Sneem to Killarney and a chance for me to bag the 3 points I need to enter the draw for the CCC in 2018. Really wasn't trained enough for this race but managed to haul my ass around it somehow :)

August 7th – August 13th
    6 x Runs: 6hrs 7mins & 36.7miles
    Tue: 6.3miles @ 9:29/mi
    Wed: 4.3miles @ 10:07/mi
    Thurs: 6.6miles @ 9:49/mi
    Fri: 3miles @ 11:14/mi (C25k)
    Sat: 2.5miles @ 9:54/mi
    Sun: 14miles LSR @ 9:59/mi

3 x Circuit Classes: 3hrs

40mins Wattbike: 40mins

S&C: 1hr 40mins

Weekly Total: 11hrs 27mins

August 14th – August 20th
    7 x Runs/1 x fast hike: 10hrs 27mins & 43.7miles
    Mon: 6miles @ 9:22/mi
    Tue: 3.7miles @ 13:21/mi (C25K)
    Wed: 6miles @ 9:03/mi
    Thurs: 2.71miles @ 11:48/mi (C25k)
    Fri: 3.1miles @ 10:16/mi
    Sat: 18.87miles @ 19:28/mi (2,000m – Fei Sheehy Challenge: Galtee Crossing from Cahir to Anglesboro. Mostly hiking but I was running to keep up with Ger who was navigating and setting a savage pace – Counting this as my LSR for the week).
    Sun: 3.3miles @ 10:52/mi (Recovery)

2 x Circuit Classes: 2hrs

S&C: 1hr 30mins

Weekly Total: 13hrs 57mins

August 21st – August 27th
    5 x Runs: 4hrs 43mins & 29.73miles
    Tue: 3.6miles @ 12:59/mi (C25K)
    Wed: 3.23miles @ 10:04/mi
    Thurs: 3.63miles @ 12:15/mi (C25K)
    Sat: 3.1miles @ 8:32/mi
    Sat: 14.1miles LSR @ 9:21/mi

2 x Circuit Classes: 2hrs

20mins Wattbike: 20mins

S&C: 1hr 50mins

Weekly Total: 8hrs 53mins

August 28th – September 3rd
    5 x Runs: 10hrs 29mins & 62.1miles
    Mon: 5miles @ 9:14/mi
    Tue: 3.5miles @ 9:29/mi
    Thurs: 4.5miles @ 8:57/mi
    Sat: 38.35miles @ 12:31/mi (1,500m): Kerry Way UltraLite from Sneem to Killarney and 3 more ITRA points in the bag. I have the 8 points needed to enter the draw for the CCC in 2018. It rained a lot in Kerry on Saturday and the trails were more muddy and boggy than I had anticipated. Beautiful scenery despite the rain :)
    Sun: 3miles @ 9:53/mi (Recovery)

Weekly Total: 10hrs 29mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Sheesh, did no one tell you you're only supposed to increase your long runs by 10% in a week :D. Congrats on the Kerry Way Ultra (I'm not calling it the ultra lite!!) and getting the points. I didn't realise there's still a draw to contend with though, fingers crossed for you!

Did you see this on FB? Not sure if it fits in with your schedule and I don't think there are any hills but might be of interest!

Sheesh, did no one tell you you're only supposed to increase your long runs by 10% in a week :D. Congrats on the Kerry Way Ultra (I'm not calling it the ultra lite!!) and getting the points. I didn't realise there's still a draw to contend with though, fingers crossed for you!

Thanks AM :) Yea, the 8 points only get me into a draw :( and it's unlikely I'll get in next year but I stand more of a chance of getting in the second time my name goes in the draw and I'm guaranteed entry in year three. I have to bag the 8 points each time I enter though so this could be an interesting three years :D

This is also the worst training EVER for DCM :D
    Did you see this on FB? Not sure if it fits in with your schedule and I don't think there are any hills but might be of interest!

I did, I saw that today, thank you. 100km ..... flat :eek: I dono about that. The hills are my friend :) Do you know the route? Is it pretty?

I've managed to squeeze a bit of running in when I can. The highlight was the Kerry Way UltraLite this weekend, a 58km trail run from Sneem to Killarney

:pac: :pac: you are too funny... just a bit of running.... over a few hills :pac:

Well that's brilliant for a little bit of running :D glad you got the points you needed as well fx you do get picked

I did, I saw that today, thank you. 100km ..... flat :eek: I dono about that. The hills are my friend :) Do you know the route? Is it pretty?

Well, when I looked first I assumed it was all along the canal which would be extremely pretty. I'm not sure though, UM1/Rockyman7 is organising it so shouldn't be too hard to find out!

Edit: it does seem to be mostly along the canal :)

• Advertisement

Well, Neady how are you getting on!!! any chance you are doing the 3/4 Marathon this year in Enfield the hubby registered us for it, I am hearing great reports on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck on Sunday Neady!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Very best of luck S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow Neady.

Yes indeed the very best of luck!!!!

Good luck over the weekend Neady

Baby75 wrote:
    Good luck over the weekend Neady

Thank you :) I'll write a race report for this one 😠and do a bit of updating. Woohoo let the last adventure of the year begin :)

Thank you :) I'll write a race report for this one 😠and do a bit of updating. Woohoo let the last adventure of the year begin :)

Wasn't there something about a Howth marathon at the end of December :D:D

ENJOY!!

I will be looking forward to that :)

• Advertisement

Right where was I. One thing I’ve learned from not logging is that logging makes me accountable and keeps me honest so here we go. I’ll start with the week after the Kerry Way Ultra Lite as I picked up an injury and I think it’s important that I log it so that I remember exactly why I picked up an injury.

Monday September 4th
    AM 20mins Wattbike (10km) & 20mins S&C
    Recovery spin after the Kerry Way Ultra Lite. Legs feeling much too fresh for having run 38 miles on Saturday – I definitely didn’t leave it all out there. Kicking myself that I didn’t have the appetite for the race on Saturday.

PM 6.33miles @ 9:30/mi (60mins)
    Recovery run after work. Jumped back into the Boards plan in the hope of getting around Dublin in some shape in October.

Tuesday September 5th
    AM Circuits
    Mostly core work.

PM 3.5miles @ 11:48/mi (41mins)
    Run with the C25K group that I’m helping.

PM Yoga
    Usual breathing exercises
    8 sun salutations
    followed by some lower back stretches.

Wednesday September 6th
    AM 4.53miles @ 9:59/mi (42mins)
    Forgot how difficult I find running in the mornings.

PM 8.17miles @ 9:33/mi (1hr 18mins)
    Recovery run after work. Nothing interesting to note.

Thursday September 7th
    AM Circuits
    Lots of band work, I can confirm that my glutes are firing.

PM 3.5 miles @ 11:04/mi
    Run with the C25K gang, they’re covering the distance faster each time.

Friday September 8th
    Rest

Saturday September 9th
    Clarinbridge marathon: 26.2 miles @ 9:14/mi (4hrs 1min 42secs)
    Long run day and there was a looped marathon, half and 10km planned in Clarinbridge so I signed up for the marathon and aimed to do six of the 5km loops and leave it at that. Stuck some tape over the watch and ran this by feel, took it relatively easy after a heavy enough week of training. Chatted to some people on the way around and enjoyed my surroundings.

It was great when the half and 10km peeps started to go by as it was something to focus on – Martyboy sped passed, said hello but he was too focused to notice me ;). After 6 laps, I was feeling good and relatively fresh so I slowed it down and kept on trucking for the final two laps.

Was delighted to finish and even more delighted to be told that I was the second lady home. Looked at my finish time and couldn’t believe I’d nearly gone sub-4 without much discomfort. This was a good omen for a 3:50 in Dublin.

Sunday September 10th
    9.2miles @ 9:53/mi (1hr 31mins)
    My friend from Kildare was staying with me this weekend and we had planned to head out to the new M18 motorway to do the 100km motorway cycle. We’d the bikes packed in the car and were up early to get on the road.

Unfortunately it was very gusty so we decided in the interest of safety, we’d give the cycle a miss and do a recovery run instead as we knew there would be nowhere to hide from the wind on the motorway. We were three of four miles in when my right foot started to hurt a bit but I was still able to run on it.

Came home, took off my runner and my foot started to swell straight away. I RICED it but I could see the bruising starting to appear and I knew I was in trouble.

Totals for the week:
    10 hours running (61.5miles)
    2 hours S&C
    2 hours circuits
    20mins Wattbike

Monday September 11th
    1.5 hours physio
    Not able to put any weight at all on my foot so high tailed it to the physio.
    Bruised and swollen there wasn’t much he could do but he was fairly sure there was a tear in the muscle or the tendon. He was confident that it wasn’t the Achilles though there was lots of swelling in the Achilles area – more likely a tear in the bottom of the soleus muscle. RICE was all I could do until the swelling went down.

It’s an overuse injury plain and simple. I know exactly how it happened, I ramped up the mileage too quickly. Lesson learned but in my defence, there were no warning signs that something was about to give.

Tuesday September 12th
    Rest

Wednesday September 13th
    35mins S&C

Thursday September 14th
    Circuits
    Starting to go stark raving mad I did as much as I could without jumping or putting any pressure on my foot.

Friday September 15th
    70 mins Physio
    Swelling mostly gone down but still a lot of bruising and I’m still hobbling. Physio says it will be at least another 3 weeks before I’m back running but gives me the go ahead to do something on the wattbike on Sunday if there’s no pain.

Saturday September 16th
    60mins wattbike: 20x30 sec sprints (30km) + 20mins S&C
    No pain, happy days.

Sunday September 17th
    A day of rest

Weekly Totals
    1 hour Wattbike
    1 hour Circuits
    2 hours S&C

Monday September 18th – Sunday September 24th
    Rest
    I was in the Galway clinic on Monday morning at 8am to get my remaining two wisdom teeth out under general anaesthetic. My first time under general anaesthetic so was interested to see how it would go. No problems and I was eating ice cream and discharged after lunch.

Had plans to get lots of yoga and S&C done during the week but my hands took a beating from the anaesthetist who couldn’t find a vein so I wasn’t able to clench my fists, drive or do anything because of the swelling and bruising until Friday.

Advertisement