Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a New Adventure

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Great read Neady! Good luck in the WW race. Are you familiar with the route? Its waymarked, but very easy to miss a turn and go wrong, not saying that will happen to you but it seems to happen to a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Neady83 wrote: »
    Saturday May 27th
    24km of mountain biking on the Burren Way (2hrs 16mins)
    Frank suggested a MTB along the Burren marathon route before the marathon

Of course he did :D you crazy loones!!

26.2miles @ 9:58/mi (4hrs 21mins & 620m)
    I was a few meters behind her when we came to a water station, the girl at the station told us we were third and fourth. Third stopped to grab water and I over took and went hell for leather (or as fast as I could after 23 miles). I’d love to have the stats as I really felt that I motored on, I looked behind me once or twice but there was no sign of her and even though I knew that I had a cushion, I wasn’t willing to slow down in case she got a second wind.

A cracking race and made some friends for life. Twenty minutes faster than last year and third girl home. Delighted to get a podium finish and a free entry into next years race for my efforts :D

Love it, love it, LOVE IT!! Was looking forward to this update and it didn't disappoint. Massive well done on the podium! that girl never stood a chance once the jacket went into the ditch :D. Can't wait to see how you do in the WW!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Wow that was a great read. Congrats Neady on the podium. Since I have got back training and discovered the Suck Valley Way Trail near my home I find myself daydreaming about trail running a lot and ultra's. I watch lots of the Soloman TV episodes and other trail running videos on YouTube now too! It's like the trail's/mountains are calling me :)

How/when did you start training for these events and what are good starter ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Great read Neady! Good luck in the WW race. Are you familiar with the route? Its waymarked, but very easy to miss a turn and go wrong, not saying that will happen to you but it seems to happen to a lot of people.

Thanks Kurt.

I've never done the route at all so making a wrong turn is definitely a worry especially as I've read some race reports on the IMRA forum and people have made mistakes - very easy mistake after 30 hours without sleep.

I'm reading as many reports as I can and making notes and I've chatted to my friend Linda who did it two years ago and she's given me pointers on certain parts where I could make a mistake.

Lonan and I plan on sticking together for the first few hours so hopefully with two pairs of eye we'll make less mistakes. The cut offs get a bit more generous after the first three sections so that gives more time to focus.

Of course he did :D you crazy loones!!

Love it, love it, LOVE IT!! Was looking forward to this update and it didn't disappoint. Massive well done on the podium! that girl never stood a chance once the jacket went into the ditch :D. Can't wait to see how you do in the WW!

Thanks so much AM :) I hope I don't disappoint on the WW. 130km is a long way and it's unfamiliar territory. I hope to god yer not looking at the tracker and screaming at me to go the other way :D

• Advertisement

Thanks so much AM :) I hope I don't disappoint on the WW. 130km is a long way and it's unfamiliar territory. I hope to god yer not looking at the tracker and screaming at me to go the other way :D

I think you should carry your phone so we can text you to say that dot ahead is first lady, go kick her ass :D.

Wow that was a great read. Congrats Neady on the podium. Since I have got back training and discovered the Suck Valley Way Trail near my home I find myself daydreaming about trail running a lot and ultra's. I watch lots of the Soloman TV episodes and other trail running videos on YouTube now too! It's like the trail's/mountains are calling me :)

How/when did you start training for these events and what are good starter ones?

I 100% understand what you're saying :) There's something magical about being on the hills.

It's been a long road for me. I started on the mountains 10 years ago and took up running to improve my fitness so I could keep up with the lads I was hiking with. Fell in love with the mountains, been to Kilimanjaro, Wales, Scotland and the Alps a few times and then I started trotting around a few of the hiking challenges here in Ireland.

We don't have any Irish Mountain Running Association branch here in Galway but there's a good group in Munster who are out every week.

The trails are much more forgiving on the body than the road and there's the added bonus that you don't feel guilty for walking a steep climb or stopping at a stream, the intensity is lower and the enjoyment greater :)

Check out the IMRA website for events that might be held in your area. If you're around Galway at all, we could head out on the Western Way some time or as I said before, I'd love to do the Suck Valley Way Trail if you're up for it some weekend.

There's a nice one coming up in Kerry in September, the Kerry Way Ultra Lite from Sneem to Killarney. 50ish km ..... that might tempt you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

I 100% understand what you're saying :) There's something magical about being on the hills.

It's been a long road for me. I started on the mountains 10 years ago and took up running to improve my fitness so I could keep up with the lads I was hiking with. Fell in love with the mountains, been to Kilimanjaro, Wales, Scotland and the Alps a few times and then I started trotting around a few of the hiking challenges here in Ireland.

We don't have any Irish Mountain Running Association branch here in Galway but there's a good group in Munster who are out every week.

The trails are much more forgiving on the body than the road and there's the added bonus that you don't feel guilty for walking a steep climb or stopping at a stream, the intensity is lower and the enjoyment greater :)

Check out the IMRA website for events that might be held in your area. If you're around Galway at all, we could head out on the Western Way some time or as I said before, I'd love to do the Suck Valley Way Trail if you're up for it some weekend.

There's a nice one coming up in Kerry in September, the Kerry Way Ultra Lite from Sneem to Killarney. 50ish km ..... that might tempt you :)

It might indeed, even thought 23km is the longest I've ever ran in one sitting. As you say though it does seem more forgiving what with walking breaks and not feeling guilty for taking your time. I'd like to give the Dublin Half Marathon a good go in September though so I'd need to see if the dates suited...just checked, 2nd of Sept. That would leave me 3 weeks to recover for the half - doable?? :confused:

Over the summer I should be in Galway a bit so I will certainly let you know. Doing the SVW means you'd have to drive a fair bit just to get to an entry point but so long as you are cool with that then great! I'll let you know next time I am down home planning on doing it. I've put up some pictures on the Images of where you run thread over in the running forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well Done on coming in 3rd that is fantastic :) great update and I am looking forward to the next one!!

I have always loved hill walking and also a newbie to trail running, I actually love when you reach the top take in the views and then can gain so much time running down hill! I have only just discovered I love going fast :D and can catch up on the faster runners ahead of me! I love hills never thought I ever feel that LOL

Good luck at the next adventure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

You're cracked....SIMPLES :pac:

Congrats on a podium on damn all sleep and 24km of MTB before it

• Advertisement

BEST OF LUCK in the Wicklow Way Neady!! You've done the work, you CAN go the distance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck Neady, you've only been motoring through marathons (and proper hilly ones) in prep so I am sure you'll do great!

BEST OF LUCK in the Wicklow Way Neady!! You've done the work, you CAN go the distance!

Thanks AM :)

35mm of rain and relatively strong winds predicted and on the toughest two sections :eek: This will be interesting.

Tracker is here and I'm number 2. Here goes nothing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Best of luck and hope the conditions aren't as bad as predicted! I'm sure you'll smash it regardless!

Have a good one!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

best of luck neady, i'm sure as always you'll come back smiling with a story to tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Hope you have a great day Neady, its such a wonderful trail to run. Enjoy!

Good luck and have a great day now I am off to check out the tracker :) looks cool it will be fun to watch tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Good luck, Neady! Don't go out too fast ;) A weekend of tracker-fun awaits!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Have a great race Neady :), and enjoy the scenery.

Lucky you! (I *think* ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Best of luck on yet another epic adventure !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

The very best of luck Neady. ENJOY!!!

Nearly time to start I hope the weather breaks have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I know you'll have a good one as you're a tough cookie but I'm hoping the weather is better than in Connemara, it's lashing rain, cold and very windy.

Run well, be safe.

TbL

I know you'll have a good one as you're a tough cookie but I'm hoping the weather is better than in Connemara, it's lashing rain, cold and very windy.

Run well, be safe.

TbL

It's no better here but she's motoring well, through the first checkpoint 12 mins before the cut off and well on her way to CP2, cut off for that is 8am.

She's gone through Glenda lough with 30 mins to spare, tired but doing brilliantly! Conditions through the night were less than pleasant. Well done neady you're a superstar !!

She's gone through Glenda lough with 30 mins to spare, tired but doing brilliantly! Conditions through the night were less than pleasant. Well done neady you're a superstar !!

Brilliant! the weather is to improve a little this afternoon and I hope with it being brighter now the tiredness eases
    Keep up the great work Neady

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

It the tracker is to be believed, she is oh-so near the Iron Bridge checkpoint (CP3), which as a 12-noon cut-off. Last data from 11:24am so she may well have progressed since. Neady was tired but in great spirits at Glendalough, change of shoes/socks and some last minute route instructions from other participants. She was also advised not to linger in the aid-stations too long because of the upcoming cut-offs.... Some tough race this is.

As mentioned, the conditions will improve and she'll be in her element at this stretch. I really hope she nails it. Go Neady!

Edit: just at the Iron Bridge CP now 11:36.

I'm in absolute awe, she cane through iron bridge in the middle of a group of lads that were ahead at glendalough, still tired but smiling :) the race director was there and said the next part is one of the toughest, I know she's concerned about the cut offs but had 15 mins to spare leaving iron bridge .I won't see her again now but have every faith she will pull this off :)

Annie how much time do you have till the next cut off !

looking good on the tracker :) my BIL friend was running as well but he stopped at Glendalough not sure why yet though ! tough race I say with the conditions overnight!

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    Annie how much time do you have till the next cut off !

looking good on the tracker :) my BIL friend was running as well but he stopped at Glendalough not sure why yet though ! tough race I say with the conditions overnight!

The next cut off was 4 hours from Iron Bridge and 25KM over difficult terrain, there were a good few drop outs at Glendalough, conditions overnight were pretty awful although thankfully it was just clearing as most of them came through there. Iron Bridge was sunny and much nicer (for the spectators anyway!!). They're a hardy bunch that's for sure!!! I'm not running in case you thought I was!!!

Advertisement