Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Refusal Because Of Rot

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Corrosion can also occur from within which is why NCT testers also go by feel. If the metal feels springy when it shouldn't then it has weakened even though it may not appear too bad on the outside.

Any fail there will have a screwdriver hole in it. The missus' MX5 had rot in the sills, tester poked with screwdriver, it went right through. They do poke and prod, so normally it's easy to spot what area they're on about.

Snap, JonBoy26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

NCT retest in the morning. €173 all-told, it better pass the retest or I will explode :mad: €28 just to lift my car on the ramp to look, rip-off for sure.

NCT retest in the morning. €173 all-told, it better pass the retest or I will explode :mad: €28 just to lift my car on the ramp to look, rip-off for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Well it passed. But I had a chat with the NCT guy and asked him was the job decent enough, he said he poked it hard and hit it with a hammer a few times and said it seemed solid enough.

He did say though that some NCT folks might not be happy enough with it and would request that I got a welder to weld a new metal bar to the member as they can't see how bad it would be when filler was used over it. But he did say it seemed very solid enough.

I'm going to get the whole underneath of the car wire-brushed soon and will get a proper welder job done on it just for my own piece of mind, and for the NCT next year.

First of all, wahey! Happy days.
    Don't rely on other people to tell what the underside of your car looks like, get it to a trusted mechanic or bodyshop, have them put it up on a ramp and have a look with the guy. Maybe take pics, we always love a few pics on this forum :D
    From the short video it looks OK, there shouldn't be a need to go crazy on it, but maybe things will look different on a ramp...

• Advertisement
Advertisement