Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf Van Mark 7

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Looking at car vans myself love the golf ones

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

It will sell well. I'd say it will be fair boring to drive in the 90bhp.

Why doesn't it have a 6 speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

I'd say it will be fair boring to drive in the 90bhp.

Why doesn't it have a 6 speed?

From what I gather there aren't any 110hp vans in the dealers. Its an 8 week minimum wait to get a 110 I was told. Depending on the colour and options that waiting time could be up to 12+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

My dad collected his one in November it was a demo with around 1k km on it. He really likes it. They are so rediculously quite inside and the seats are extremely comfortable I think they won some seat of the year award. 90bhp is suprising nippy would be very close to the 1.9tdi 105. If your getting one try get one with the business back which has a mfsw and cruise control among other things. Here is a few pictures of his one from when he collected it.

81817842-2184-4603-830D-DD71A1D36F05_zpsdk0qtg2m.jpg

F4642A5A-CB2D-4BA4-9DDC-C7639C9787AE_zpsm2clzht6.jpg

What sort of fuel economy is he getting out of it?

• Advertisement

tf2 wrote: »
    What sort of fuel economy is he getting out of it?

Not 100% sure but I'll ask him at some stage today bearing in mind there is still only 6 k km ish on it I find diesel don't fully break in until at least 10k on.

Bpmull wrote: »
    Not 100% sure but I'll ask him at some stage today bearing in mind there is still only 6 k km ish on it I find diesel don't fully break in until at least 10k on.

I'd be keen to find out how the 90hp does on real world motorway journeys with it only having 5 gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Drove one late last year, absolutely awesome car van. Looks, drives & sounds like a car with lots of space and exceptionally comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

90bhp is suprising nippy would be very close to the 1.9tdi 105. If your getting one try get one with the business back which has a mfsw and cruise control among other things.
    Party at the front, business at the back ja.
    Those crazy germans with their reverse mullets.
    :p

edit - nice in the red though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It will sell, because it's got a VW badge on the front.

From an overall cost of ownership perspective, it's pretty good. Even though it's expensive to buy, the forecasted resale value is quite a bit above the other car vans.

It is beaten from a Total Cost of Ownership perspective, by the Hyundai I-Pro. About the same standard specification, nicer seats in the I-Pro, and a damn sight cheaper to buy, but will have a lower resale value.

Useless fact - I advised VW on the load compartment fit out, so it's my fault the back of the bulkhead isn't carpeted :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

R.O.R wrote: »
    It will sell, because it's got a VW badge on the front.

From an overall cost of ownership perspective, it's pretty good. Even though it's expensive to buy, the forecasted resale value is quite a bit above the other car vans.

It is beaten from a Total Cost of Ownership perspective, by the Hyundai I-Pro. About the same standard specification, nicer seats in the I-Pro, and a damn sight cheaper to buy, but will have a lower resale value.

Useless fact - I advised VW on the load compartment fit out, so it's my fault the back of the bulkhead isn't carpeted :pac:

Are all car derived vans kitted out by the same company here or do the distributors choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

bazz26 wrote: »
    Are all car derived vans kitted out by the same company here or do the distributors choose?

There's a few different ones I think. Sportage's I've had in had a sticker on the back with the details of who did it (they came straight off - can't remember who they are, but they are based around Baldonel), and I'm told that NVD themselves do the conversion on the Kuga's and Focus's.

I'd be keen to find out how the 90hp does on real world motorway journeys with it only having 5 gears.

On reasonable length trips motorway driving he's getting 5.2 ish l/100km so 55mpg but as he said himself he drives it on and is not a very efficient driver either. He is over and back to the uk a good bit now so that's alot of its driving. He said if you were doing alot of short start stop trips it goes up to 5.8 l/100 km. so realistically your looking at 50-55mpg with 60 mpg being achievable if you were driving it with economy in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Just had a look at the I Pro and it looks infinitely better than the Golf. €1700 cheaper too.

No aircon in the I Pro though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There's a few different ones I think. Sportage's I've had in had a sticker on the back with the details of who did it (they came straight off - can't remember who they are, but they are based around Baldonel), and I'm told that NVD themselves do the conversion on the Kuga's and Focus's.

That company did the tata safari too. We got a couple of king cab hiluxes done by them too. Can't remember the name now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

OGH ENTERPRISE HAS BEING DOING CONVERSIONS FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS OR SO TOP NOTCH WORK

Just had a look at the I Pro and it looks infinitely better than the Golf. €1700 cheaper too.

No aircon in the I Pro though.

He test drove one of them and didnt really like it at all. I think the interior looks infinitely better on the golf. The radio set up is very good too. You can literally do anything on it change a load of setting about the car it give status report, all consumption figures, great sound quality too even when playing music very loud it's clear. Your phone menus come up on it too.

The auto hill hold handbrake works very well ensures the car will never roll you just come to a stop and the car is always help by the handbrake you never need to have your foot on the brake when stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I agree, the interior looks better in the Golf. Looks higher quality too.

On reasonable length trips motorway driving he's getting 5.2 ish l/100km so 55mpg but as he said himself he drives it on and is not a very efficient driver either. He is over and back to the uk a good bit now so that's alot of its driving. He said if you were doing alot of short start stop trips it goes up to 5.8 l/100 km. so realistically your looking at 50-55mpg with 60 mpg being achievable if you were driving it with economy in mind.

Long way off the claimed 85.6 mpg or 3.3 l/100 km VW claim. (But that's not real world driving.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Long way off the claimed 85.6 mpg or 3.3 l/100 km VW claim. (But that's not real world driving.)

About the same as the 2 litre with twice the power lugging a little more weight around...just saying...

• Advertisement

About the same as the 2 litre with twice the power lugging a little more weight around...just saying...

Well as I said my dad is a seriously uneconomical driver. But even driving it right your still only looking at early 60s mpg but then there is about 5-6k km on it too our octavia didn't get good on diesel on it had 15k km on it. But either way your never going to see 80 mpg out of it but then your not going to see it out of any of its rivals either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I've driven a 90 Golf van extensively and on a national road averaging between 80-90 kmph I can get over 70 mpg out of it (I actually managed 74.6 mpg average as per the trip computer over 30km).

50/50 driven of that and motorway it was just under 60 mpg combined.

55 mpg combined is easily achievable.

I've driven a 90 Golf van extensively and on a national road averaging between 80-90 kmph I can get over 70 mpg out of it (I actually managed 74.6 mpg average as per the trip computer over 30km).

50/50 driven of that and motorway it was just under 60 mpg combined.

55 mpg combined is easily achievable.

Is it charged the commercial rate going through tolls?

Is it charged the commercial rate going through tolls?

It would be yes. As far as the government are concerned it's a commercial van they don't car that it's car derived.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Great car and definitely better than any of its competitiors. Just one or two minor downsides to it;

1) Its charged as a commerical vehicle going throught the tolls.
    2) New legislations in now that you must be either a farmer or a builder to insure yourself in a van, if you are neither than it will be insured as a car

Now im not 100% about the rules about the insurance, but its what I was told when I went to go insure myself on a Vw Caddy van.
    They considered it as a passenger vehicle and so the insurance was crazy compared to what it shouldve been.

Great car and definitely better than any of its competitiors. Just one or two minor downsides to it;

1) Its charged as a commerical vehicle going throught the tolls.
    2) New legislations in now that you must be either a farmer or a builder to insure yourself in a van, if you are neither than it will be insured as a car

Now im not 100% about the rules about the insurance, but its what I was told when I went to go insure myself on a Vw Caddy van.
    They considered it as a passenger vehicle and so the insurance was crazy compared to what it shouldve been.

Any business can tax it as a commerical vehicle you don't have to be a farmer or builder. As for insurance that depends on the company most commercial policy's have sdp on them so you would be covered for private use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Picking up one next week. I'll report on the mpg,I do a nice bit of mixed driving. First ever new car so it will be interesting to see if the fuel economy actually improves after the "break in" period or if there is one at all...

Sitec wrote: »
    Picking up one next week. I'll report on the mpg,I do a nice bit of mixed driving. First ever new car so it will be interesting to see if the fuel economy actually improves after the "break in" period or if there is one at all...

How's the car going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

How's the car going?

Picked it up yesterday evening. I was like a child at Christmas!

I'm really impressed with the car. The steering is really direct with a lovely weight to it. Interior seems very well built and has plenty of toys.

I got the 90bhp Tdi and it's adequate but can sometimes feel a little gutless and you need to change down. It will just take a bit of getting used to.

The interior is so well noise insulated. I did 347km since picking it up yesterday. :D

Filled it today and will report back with mpg.

Golf2_zps8e37c093.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Looking at the 110 bhp Golf van, as from a business point of view, there isn't a lot of choice in the market.
    The N1 4x4s are crazy money, so it looks like it's gonna be a van. Don't actually need any "load carrying capacity, other than my lunch box.
    I had the MkIV and MkV back in the day. Problem is, now I have gotten used to automatics.

Anyone know if the Golf van can be ordered in DSG, will ring dealer tomorrow.

More importantly,

Anyone driven golf's or similar powered vehicles with auto/dsg, what's the experience like. ?

Advertisement