Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Market and stimulus

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

O Riain wrote: »
    Good to see that they are taking all the public urinating into account.

Seriously though, all the moaning people going on about here. Yes people will get drunk in the area but hopefully it will improve the look and feel of the place and make waterford a spot that people will want to come and visit for a lively weekend!

Didn't see much moaning about these works...great to see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Works at moment are services being installed for the new street development

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Looks like the town is set to become more pedestrianised. Patricks Street, Bunkers Hill and Mayors walk set to become one way streets. The plan is they want people to park, and walk into the city centre. Don't know how effective that will be.

Looks like the town is set to become more pedestrianised. Patricks Street, Bunkers Hill and Mayors walk set to become one way streets. The plan is they want people to park, and walk into the city centre. Don't know how effective that will be.

The likes of mayor's walk is simply not wide enough for 2 way traffic, makes sense.what the council are doing is hopefully improving the traffic flow and what will be a vastly more pleasing street scape.there is none/very little pedestrianisation happening with the exception of Apple market and I'm not sure if that will be fully pedestrianised.the plan is to have a multi storey near the new street development so there is plenty of park right in city centre options (quays,tkmaxx, city sq, street,gas works, Bolton st.) People aren't gonna be asked to park God help us,a short distance from city centre.people will still have plenty of options to drop off others in city centre but quite rightly the core of the city centre(broad st area) should not be a through route either as it adds nothing to city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,963 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

nearly killed there twice yesterday forgot outside the Hub is a road now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I always wondered what keeps/kept the USA Stores open, even during the ravages of the last recession when shops were closing all over Waterford. Fair play to them for toughing it out but I cant work out what it is that was head and shoulders above the rest. The clothes are expensive, the shop is tiny and location isn't exactly great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

They might own the building or a have long term set lease. If the owners are working there they would likely have few overheads compared the the majority of retails shops in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Patricks st and Mayors walk will be a lot better one way but whoever decided to make Bunkers Hill one way needs their head examined!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Max Powers wrote: »
    The likes of mayor's walk is simply not wide enough for 2 way traffic, makes sense.what the council are doing is hopefully improving the traffic flow and what will be a vastly more pleasing street scape.there is none/very little pedestrianisation happening with the exception of Apple market and I'm not sure if that will be fully pedestrianised.the plan is to have a multi storey near the new street development so there is plenty of park right in city centre options (quays,tkmaxx, city sq, street,gas works, Bolton st.) People aren't gonna be asked to park God help us,a short distance from city centre.people will still have plenty of options to drop off others in city centre but quite rightly the core of the city centre(broad st area) should not be a through route either as it adds nothing to city centre.

And how are people using those parking spaces effectively now? All those places are fee- parking spaces. I would be skeptical of how this will work out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭JMT2016

Patricks st and Mayors walk will be a lot better one way but whoever decided to make Bunkers Hill one way needs their head examined!

College street is remaining two-way isn't it? From Barrack Street go down Convent Hill and along Hennessy's road to get back to college street. Not much of a detour.

If you have seen the way some people take the corner down bunker hill I think it's a great idea to make it one-way going up. Always hate being the first car in traffic stopped going up on to Barrack street - sometimes it's the last second when people finally straighten up and stick to the left of the road!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

JMT2016 wrote: »
    College street is remaining two-way isn't it? From Barrack Street go down Convent Hill and along Hennessy's road to get back to college street. Not much of a detour.

If you have seen the way some people take the corner down bunker hill I think it's a great idea to make it one-way going up. Always hate being the first car in traffic stopped going up on to Barrack street - sometimes it's the last second when people finally straighten up and stick to the left of the road!! :eek:

Thats what i fear everyone will have the same idea and use convent hill thats a nightmare to use as it is and with the increased traffic its only going to get worse.

I live on Barracks Street and i go up and down Bunkers hill several times a day and i never had any bother with people taking the corner,i disagree with you completely its not a great idea to make it one way,its an absolutely stupid idea and no need for it whatsoever.

And how are people using those parking spaces effectively now? All those places are fee- parking spaces. I would be skeptical of how this will work out

They seem to be busy enough most days so fine, especially when you hear people whining about lack of parking here, fee paying of course..don't understand why you would mention that....no one expects free parking in a city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭JMT2016

I live on Barracks Street and i go up and down Bunkers hill several times a day and i never had any bother with people taking the corner,

Lucky you!
    Thats what i fear everyone will have the same idea and use convent hill thats a nightmare to use as it is and with the increased traffic its only going to get worse..

I was looking at those traffic plans and to me it looks like the only reason you would take that route is to go along the manor towards John St since you will only be able to turn left at the bottom of college street. That's going to limit a lot of the potential traffic.

The vast majority of the traffic will have to go along barrack street to matties hill by the looks of things to get to the cork road.

Advertisement