Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Market and stimulus

Options
  • 28-01-2015 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Surprised not mentioned already, it was in Munster express and on national, anyway headline is potential 21mill stimulus including some work in Tramore and most importantly, glazing over Apple market, computer pic looks decent in paper. It would be most welcome. If it gets go ahead, I would just hope that they do a tasteful job on it, IMO and i think to be fair the council has done fairly tasteful work on quays, park water barriers, on quays themselves (apart from delays obviously), good work in VT etc..im sure there is plenty of jobs they have made a bit of a mess of too but thats for another day probably

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

It will be good to see a new development in the City Max.
    I wonder though if there will be any objections to it?

I would be more interested on what or anything they find in the ground.
    Surely it will be a treasure trove of archaeology down there?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Max Powers wrote: »
    Surprised not mentioned already, it was in Munster express and on national, anyway headline is potential 21mill stimulus including some work in Tramore and most importantly, glazing over Apple market, computer pic looks decent in paper. It would be most welcome. If it gets go ahead, I would just hope that they do a tasteful job on it, IMO and i think to be fair the council has done fairly tasteful work on quays, park water barriers, on quays themselves (apart from delays obviously), good work in VT etc..im sure there is plenty of jobs they have made a bit of a mess of too but thats for another day probably

Are they keeping the tree and the clock id imagine they could be contentious.
    It will be good to see a new development in the City Max.
    I wonder though if there will be any objections to it?

I would be more interested on what or anything they find in the ground.
    Surely it will be a treasure trove of archaeology down there?

You might very well get one on archaeology grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭shebzie

any pics of new disign or links to look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Is this not part of the Michael Street Development that was in one of the papers a few months ago? Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

jayboi wrote: »
    Are they keeping the tree and the clock id imagine they could be contentious.

Judging by the picture in the munster it looks like the clock and tree is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The_Shotz wrote: »
    Judging by the picture in the munster it looks like the clock and tree is gone.

The tree is a London Plane, an enormous stately tree, totally unsuitable for an urban environment, planted less than twenty years ago and pruned heavily a couple of times. Will be no bother take it out, but you are right there will be wigs on the green by a few fellas in big Gansies!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

I know its difficult to say from one picture but the image in the munster of it looks well IMO, kinda reminds of something like the printworks in Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Did the picture in the Munster still have your man selling toilet rolls on a Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Anyone got the picture from the Munster ??

Edit : found one :)

DKuCo3J.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Deasy reckons decison in about April all going well.
    That big tree is and big trees in general or totally unsuitable for city centres and especially under roofs, i would assume the project would mean significant repaving but very little deep digging, apart from pillars to hold roof up so archaeology issues shouldnt be big deal. Say that to a couple of nutters who will complain though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Anyone got the picture from the Munster ??

Edit : found one :)

DKuCo3J.jpg

I kind of have a bit of a reservation about this. I just think at this stage there is enough pedestrianisation in the city centre. What is this going to add? It not going to add any modern retail units, that is what is needed in the city centre. It is not going to make the Newgate Centre any more likely to be built. The city centre needs more substance not show-pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Hijpo

BBM77 wrote: »
    I kind of have a bit of a reservation about this. I just think at this stage there is enough pedestrianisation in the city centre. What is this going to add? It not going to add any modern retail units, that is what is needed in the city centre. It is not going to make the Newgate Centre any more likely to be built. The city centre needs more substance not show-pieces.

I hope they have concidered 2:30 in the morning when a lot of rowdy scum bags are put out in the vicinity full of drink and drugs not to mention the select few students that are not one bit conscious of this town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Hijpo wrote: »
    I hope they have concidered 2:30 in the morning when a lot of rowdy scum bags are put out in the vicinity full of drink and drugs not to mention the select few students that are not one bit conscious of this town.
    What has rowdy drinkers got to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Every thread on Waterford boards has someone commenting on scumbags and drinkers. Waterford not only place to have that sort of crowd. Ya build things for the majority of people who are law abiding nice people and the scumbags should not be given a seconds thought when it comes to improving an area or providing an amenity.

The taxi drivers will be the main complainers I bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This was mooted as an idea years ago wasn't it - if I recall right that architect chappie who posted here back in 2006/7/8 had a design to glass over the whole Barronstrand/Broad Street/Michael Street area

Max Powers wrote: »
    What has rowdy drinkers got to do with it?
    debok wrote: »
    Every thread on Waterford boards has someone commenting on scumbags and drinkers. Waterford not only place to have that sort of crowd. Ya build things for the majority of people who are law abiding nice people and the scumbags should not be given a seconds thought when it comes to improving an area or providing an amenity.

Well from glance theres a very nice seating area in it that could be trashed and bars to climb and hang out of at the top.

Drug fueled scummers and out of their mind pissed students are a problem down around that corner when everyone is put out into the same area, to turn a blind eye and not acknowledge this when trying to make that area more satisfying is absurd.

Im not saying it shouldnt be done, im saying i hope they have thought/will think about the above issues when the time comes to design and construct it. When was the last time they did construction down there and there was a riot, cones fired around, barriers broken, railing ripped up, building climbed, nipples flashed etc etc

Just saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

That would be a fantastic addition to the City and I for one hope it goes ahead. This City needs a little bit of freshening up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Hijpo wrote: »
    Well from glance theres a very nice seating area in it that could be trashed and bars to climb and hang out of at the top.

Drug fueled scummers and out of their mind pissed students are a problem down around that corner when everyone is put out into the same area, to turn a blind eye and not acknowledge this when trying to make that area more satisfying is absurd.

Im not saying it shouldnt be done, im saying i hope they have thought/will think about the above issues when the time comes to design and construct it. When was the last time they did construction down there and there was a riot, cones fired around, barriers broken, railing ripped up, building climbed, nipples flashed etc etc

Just saying.

Hold on a minute whats this about nipple flashing?

Hold on a minute whats this about nipple flashing?

Hahah want there a video of the antics and when the camera person, not to offend anyone, took footage of the group beside him a chap pulled down a girls top revealing all. Pretty sure there was a discussion about it on here somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Jaysus... tis ww3 on the Waterford History Group fb page about this!

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Jaysus... tis ww3 on the Waterford History Group fb page about this!

I had to leave that group due to world war 3 every week, imo the admin on that group are representative of the worst of Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I had to leave that group due to world war 3 every week, imo the admin on that group are representative of the worst of Waterford.

I agree I didn't think people on a history page could be so abrasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

The majority of people who commented on the history group were against it , are you saying they are also "the worst of Waterford " seems to me if you don't agree with people who are for it you have to start name calling , shows the mentality of the person .

link page please?

navalus wrote: »
    The majority of people who commented on the history group were against it , are you saying they are also "the worst of Waterford " seems to me if you don't agree with people who are for it you have to start name calling , shows the mentality of the person .
    Hello Navalus nice to meet you, before you try chew my ass off maybe you should read my post! I left the group , therefore I cannot see it anymore , so I don't know what people are saying about the apple market proposal.
    I said in my post I left because of the constant histrionics and general divisiveness caused by the admin, no reference to the members.
    Are you still with me ?
    so as the mods say attack the post not the poster but it helps if you read it first , have a nice day.
    I hope the above was so patronising that it really annoyed you, if so my job is done.
    P's. Looking back at your posts you seem to have an inordinate interest in history, Waterford History to be specific, would your name be Tommy or Michael one wonders?

link page please?

It's a closed group (sic)Harry don't think a link will work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I notice they took down the big tree and there was some stuff unloaded in there. Is that the start of this development?

Bump, was there this morning and the place is being dug up, pipe work seemed to be the theme of the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Bump, was there this morning and the place is being dug up, pipe work seemed to be the theme of the job.

Good to see that they are taking all the public urinating into account.

Seriously though, all the moaning people going on about here. Yes people will get drunk in the area but hopefully it will improve the look and feel of the place and make waterford a spot that people will want to come and visit for a lively weekend!

Advertisement