Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC MYprime Horizon

Options
  • 27-01-2015 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about this service apparently available from February, and how it differs from On demand?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Very little is known. What has been revealed is here:

http://www.upc.ie/television/my-prime/

I personally can't see what distinguishes it from On Demand, which started very promisingly but has suffered death by a thousand cuts. There are few box sets now left and the TV players have a lesser amount available than their PC equivalents (though I will still watch on the UPC version if the programme's available - not only does this save time in not having to hook up the laptop to the TV, it all means not having to sit through the now insane amount of adverts on the PC version of RTE Player).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

From what I gather previously most movies were pay movies and some of these will be free now as part of your subscription...Soooo basically just the same on demand but more stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

"Enjoy thousands of films and series with My Prime - all included as part of your bundle subscription, with regular updates so there’s always something new to view."

That's a pretty bold claim in fairness. Let's see if it's not just more lies.

The current on demand content is nothing short of laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Found this on their french site
    https://www.horizon.tv/fr_ch/my-prime.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

its their swiss site french language version

• Advertisement

its their swiss site french language version
    Yes... it's in french - just wondering if the content might be similar...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dam099

I hope the interface is better than the previous On Demand which is pretty poorly organised, though given UPCs track record on the Horizon UI I wouldn't be hopeful.

I'd say it will be the same horizon interface, only with actual content - what that will be....

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

Kurn wrote: »
    I'd say it will be the same horizon interface, only with actual content - what that will be....

Has this launched yet it only said February in the email haven't noticed anything new

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

donal.hunt wrote: »
    no.

Dobwe have a date for launch

Nope. Could be any time up to the 28th, of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If it was any good I'd assume they'd be demoing it to get people to sign up for the latest price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Cmon UPC throw us a bone here!......

Give us a date or let some of us have at it as demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Cmon UPC throw us a bone here!......

Give us a date or let some of us have at it as demo.

It is out in Switzerland and holland where they test the services first before rolling it out. Why rush it...and have problems and have more complaints....

It will be upc's answer to netflix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1c6pgSWTcA

http://vimeo.com/100306273

The understandable reason people want to know more is that it's been given as the reason for the price increase but people who are in contracts only have thirty days to avail of the contract variation get-out. Perfectly understandable frustration when you are told that a new feature is the reason for an increase but little beyond the name is revealed until people are locked back in to their contract.

UPC already has an answer to Netflix - On Demand. It started very promisingly. We were told new series would be added as time went on. Instead content has dropped until it's reached the point where it's a pale shadow of it's original self. Can you understand why people are skeptical here?

steveon wrote: »
    It is out in Switzerland and holland where they test the services first before rolling it out. Why rush it...and have problems and have more complaints....

Didn't seem to help the horrorzone box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I was on to their tech support last nite about the fact that the increase in price was to mean 20 channels extra but I could not access them. Anyhows got that sorted in the end but asked the tech guy what is the story with MyPrime. During our long chat about getting those 20 up and running he casually mentioned that MyPrime should be on my Horizon box now (after about 15 mins earlier saying he did not know the ETA). Unfortunately I'd let him go before checking to see was it on the box. I looked all over and could see no link or ref to MyPrime. Perhaps the box needs a power off/on? might try that later.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I was on to their tech support last nite about the fact that the increase in price was to mean 20 channels extra but I could not access them. Anyhows got that sorted in the end but asked the tech guy what is the story with MyPrime. During our long chat about getting those 20 up and running he casually mentioned that MyPrime should be on my Horizon box now (after about 15 mins earlier saying he did not know the ETA). Unfortunately I'd let him go before checking to see was it on the box. I looked all over and could see no link or ref to MyPrime. Perhaps the box needs a power off/on? might try that later.

Or he lied to get you off the phone. Did anyone actually automatically get their 20 channels activated, did not get mine yet. MyPrime is not on my box this AM and I did a reset too. I would not expect too much from it anyway, doubt it will be anywhere near netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

The way I look at it if UPC Prime had ANYTHING worth mentioning over the existing on-demand service they have they would be shouting it from the rooftops across all their marketing media.

The fact they are not leads me to believe its just a new logo on an already provided service.

• Advertisement

pippip wrote: »
    The way I look at it if UPC Prime had ANYTHING worth mentioning over the existing on-demand service they have they would be shouting it from the rooftops across all their marketing media.

The fact they are not leads me to believe its just a new logo on an already provided service.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Is the point of Prime not that it's on your computer and smartphone, rather than on the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Read somewhere that launch date is the 23rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

"Exciting news on the 23rd" according to the UPC Reps in the Talk To UPC forum

Just shy of the 28th, then. Be interesting to see what they have lined up.

icdg wrote: »
    Just shy of the 28th, then. Be interesting to see what they have lined up.

It won't matter. People will want the HBO content that they see on Sky Go and will go mad when it's not available. They'll want the Netflix content that they see on, erm, Netflix and will go mad when it's not available. There could be a shedload of good stuff available via a beautiful interface but it won't be good enough.

Unfortunately the HBO deal means that content will only ever be available on Sky Go, at least for as long as that deal runs. It's a double edged sword of course as HBO content (Game of Thrones honourably excepted) hasnt managed to enter the popular consciousness that it did in the days when HBO sold its content to a multiple of broadcasters includingn FTA channels.

icdg wrote: »
    Unfortunately the HBO deal means that content will only ever be available on Sky Go, at least for as long as that deal runs. It's a double edged sword of course as HBO content (Game of Thrones honourably excepted) hasnt managed to enter the popular consciousness that it did in the days when HBO sold its content to a multiple of broadcasters includingn FTA channels.

Yeah exactly; it's something that is completely out of UPC's hands, but wait and see the reaction.

Totally agree re HBO's content; it's very rare that any of it really hits the big time any more, True Detective was maybe an exception, but it's rare it hits the heights of The Sopranos, The Wire, Sex and the City, Curb Your Enthusiasm etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Spotted this on the horizon go app this morning.

Channel: "MyPrime"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

Just looked through the available selection. ..to market My Prime as a competitor to Netflix is disingenuous. For the price increases we have experienced, this is a pretty poor offering from UPC.

Advertisement