Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Vincent, Iveagh Gardens, 10th July

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Easy Rod wrote: »
    She must've started late because I managed to get a good hour of it in. She's some woman, what a performer.

I've heard people moaning lately about crowds but that was a pretty poor one. I'm not the biggest St Vincent fan but I'm there to watch and listen to the show, not stand around and talk ****e to my mate....very talkative crowd and I was close to the front.

One bird in front of us was so coked out of it she threw a sambo into the crowd and was facing the opposite way for the whole of the encore. Just a terrible person all around.

Yeah I missed her in The Olympia last year, had tickets but gave them to my cousin and met up with her there last night. She said the crowd at that gig was totally transfixed and "into" her but last night a lot of people seemed almost apathetic and like you, we were near enough to front. The girls behind us were hammered and were almost heckling St. Vincent! They kept slurring "ahhhhhhhh shut up and sing HAHAHAHAHAHA" whenever she'd chat to the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

So many people chatting and not even fecking looking at the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Yeah I missed her in The Olympia last year, had tickets but gave them to my cousin and met up with her there last night. She said the crowd at that gig was totally transfixed and "into" her but last night a lot of people seemed almost apathetic and like you, we were near enough to front. The girls behind us were hammered and were almost heckling St. Vincent! They kept slurring "ahhhhhhhh shut up and sing HAHAHAHAHAHA" whenever she'd chat to the crowd.

I was at that Olympia gig last year. Crowd were older, fairly regular and very respectful and quiet.

May I ask what the turnout was like last night?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I'm no good at judging the size of crowds but whatever Iveagh Gardens Capacity is, it wasn't quite full. We had plenty of space around us by normal gig standards, considering how close to the front we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭proudi

Good performance as usual.

I've seen her once before since she started doing these more choreographed shows and I think that probably detracted from the experience for me. The songs were played the same way and the monologues were similar (other than the butchering of Seamus Heaney's name which got a few boos). The hospital bed for the encore was the only major difference from the last time, other than her aesthetic. I'd like to see her change things up the next time I see her.

Crowd was appalling. I was at the front and I found myself surrounded mostly by 18-year-olds snapchatting throughout the whole thing despite being requested at the beginning to not record the show in any way. Everyone was very static. Almost felt embarrassed for enjoying myself. I suppose that's just the kind of audience she's going to attract now after her growth in popularity the last year or two.

Such a brilliant performer. Slightly cringey at times with her swearing for the sake of it and her dedicating of tracks to "weirdos" and "freaks". But overall probably one of the best live experiences right now.

Mew were the reason I was there though and not at Modest Mouse. They played all the tracks you'd expect from them (but no Snow Brigade). I overheard somebody describing them as sounding "strange" before the show started when asked by another if they'd listened to any of their music. Kind of says a lot about some of the people who were there. Legends standing in front of them and all they think is "this is strange". I hope Mew come back soon for a full show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I was at the Olympia gig and she blew the place apart and got the respect she deserved.

Crowd last night were awful, seemed like a lot of people went to it as if it was after work drinks of a Friday, a time to catch up?!?

I'm also wondering how many went because of her relationship with professional eyebrows Cara Delavigne and the tabloid medias reporting of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

Would have to agree about the crowd. I kept trying to move away from groups of mates having a chat but it proved impossible. I have no idea why you would bother paying money to see a gig and then make no effort to listen to or enjoy the music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

nermal15 wrote: »
    Would have to agree about the crowd. I kept trying to move away from groups of mates having a chat but it proved impossible. I have no idea why you would bother paying money to see a gig and then make no effort to listen to or enjoy the music.

Ah it's so common now at certain gigs, I've come to expect it. Can kinda tell when it's gonna happen depending on artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Absolutely amazing, did not expect anything less though!

A thousand times agree on the comments about the crowds. I was at the front and these two lads insisted on doing acapellas during the wait/commenting on her personal life/loudly discussing some fanfic-like david byrne story (you know, just so everyone is aware they KNOW who david byrne is, ugh). Didn't spoil my night, though. I got to touch Annie Clark!!! For someone who shreds guitar day in day out, she has pretty soft hands, huh.

Also, finishing before 11, I got to catch the last bus home instead of taking a taxi. IT WAS A GOOD DAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

camz09 wrote: »
    Absolutely amazing, did not expect anything less though!

A thousand times agree on the comments about the crowds. I was at the front and these two lads insisted on doing acapellas during the wait/commenting on her personal life/loudly discussing some fanfic-like david byrne story (you know, just so everyone is aware they KNOW who david byrne is, ugh). Didn't spoil my night, though. I got to touch Annie Clark!!! For someone who shreds guitar day in day out, she has pretty soft hands, huh.

Also, finishing before 11, I got to catch the last bus home instead of taking a taxi. IT WAS A GOOD DAY.

This isn't really surprising tbh. Certain acts always attract an element of those who are there to be seen rather than to see. Art rockers such as SV with the hype around them can expect this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

This isn't really surprising tbh. Certain acts always attract an element of those who are there to be seen rather than to see. Art rockers such as SV with the hype around them can expect this.

Well, that's... disappointing. I suppose it's swings and roundabouts, though. If not that, then it'd be smitten young things panting and gasping on the barrier, or langered rowdies.

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Well, that's... disappointing. I suppose it's swings and roundabouts, though. If not that, then it'd be smitten young things panting and gasping on the barrier, or langered rowdies.

Well if you catch them early enough then you can by pass them all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

I actually just checked up this thread to see if I was only one p**sed off with the crowd. Similarly near front, and actually moved back a fair bit, trying to find a non-constant-chatting group.
    I saw her in the Olympia before, and at pukkelpop last year - and while the performance was equally as strong, the crowd ruined it a little for me - until I started to consciously ignore them all!
    I think an indoor venue removes some of the chatty noise, as people just keep it down a little bit more.

Irish summer gigs, I find, always carry a risk of the boozing-chatting crew who go to a concert cos it's a nice venue and they've heard of the artist, ,rather than knowing any of the music.

This makes us a great as a nation a music lovers, but also can be the greatest pain ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

symbolic wrote: »
    Well if you catch them early enough then you can by pass them all :)
    If you catch a band "early enough", they're playing toilet venues, or to a "crowd" of six people in a bar where most of the punters haven't even noticed there's a band on. (Anyone see Twin Atlantic the first time they played Cork? It was hilarious...)

alaimacerc wrote: »
    If you catch a band "early enough", they're playing toilet venues, or to a "crowd" of six people in a bar where most of the punters haven't even noticed there's a band on.

Well I mean early enough and have made it to our shores ha

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Heard there was plenty of freebies given away which could explain the crowd. Think the venue was probably too big for her given her popularity in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

proudi wrote: »
    Mew were the reason I was there though and not at Modest Mouse. They played all the tracks you'd expect from them (but no Snow Brigade). I overheard somebody describing them as sounding "strange" before the show started when asked by another if they'd listened to any of their music. Kind of says a lot about some of the people who were there. Legends standing in front of them and all they think is "this is strange". I hope Mew come back soon for a full show.

Snap, went along just for Mew. No Snow Brigade or Comforting sounds, but otherwise it was bloody great.

Met two of the lads during St Vincent and they said hopefully a show here before end of the year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭proudi

maximoose wrote: »
    Snap, went along just for Mew. No Snow Brigade or Comforting sounds, but otherwise it was bloody great.

Met two of the lads during St Vincent and they said hopefully a show here before end of the year :)

That is absolutely beautiful news.

Where did you meet them? Very jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Great to hear a Mew show possibly by the end of the year!

Anyone know where they played the first time they came here? Waited years to see them!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Heading to see her tomorrow in Galway, heard on Friday that ticket sales have been a bit sluggish, shame Mew are not supporting this one, as I have no interest in Little Green Cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

frantic190 wrote: »
    Great to hear a Mew show possibly by the end of the year!

Anyone know where they played the first time they came here? Waited years to see them!

2009 in The Academy was the first time I saw them here, think it was there first time in Ireland as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Anyone know if there is support tonight in the Opera House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

proudi wrote: »

Where did you meet them? Very jealous.

Met them at the top of the stairs towards the toilets! Nick (?) the English lad on Keyboards and the guitarist. They were dead sound, chatted for about 20 mins then let them enjoy the gig.

Yeah the academy was their first gig, seems like forever ago now. Have been itching for another Irish gig since, hope they do come back. Saw them in London in May and going back to see them play an acoustic show in December :)

Xenji wrote: »
    2009 in The Academy was the first time I saw them here, think it was there first time in Ireland as well.

I would have just gotten into them around that stage, missed opportunity. :(

Thanks!
    Anyone know if there is support tonight in the Opera House?

I believe Cork band Young Wonder are supporting, although I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

You're right, I just spotted it on Twitter

Interesting review to say the least by Des Traynor, which The Thin Air has since pulled.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://thethinair.net/2015/07/st-vincent-iveagh-gardens-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

frantic190 wrote: »
    Interesting review to say the least by Des Traynor, which The Thin Air has since pulled.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://thethinair.net/2015/07/st-vincent-iveagh-gardens-dublin/

I'd tend to disregard a review that spends more time talking about the clothes she wore than the music she played.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭FledNanders

Anyone got a link to a version of it, or give the jist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

The original FB post might give you some idea: https://www.facebook.com/thethinair/posts/686228294854687

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Anyone got a link to a version of it, or give the jist?

If you want the full review, here it is: http://67.159.5.242/ip-1/encoded/Oi8vcGFzdGViaW4uY29tL2VCakhlWXRK

Advertisement