Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howard Marks dying of Cancer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Blueberry? Is that one of those junkstick "strains?"

I am afraid I am not enough of a weed snob to answer this question :o

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Do people really believe in karma?

:o

I've always found it too mild. Don't much like coconut either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The man looks dreadful for only 69. I suppose a life of chronic cannabis use takes its toll.

That or the terminal cancer, I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

That or the terminal cancer, I suppose

Here's a picture of him at 66 long before any cancer.

http://archive.oneandother.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/%C2%A9-Howard-Marks-620x330.png

The haggard and weary face of a chronic cannabis user.

http://archive.oneandother.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/%C2%A9-Howard-Marks-620x330.png

Straight out of Reefer Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

A face that has seen and done far more than most people, a face with a right to be haggard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

hju6 wrote: »
    A face that has seen and done far more than most people, a face with a right to be haggard

Like what? Other then being a career criminal of course. Has anything he done been of any value to decent society?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Found Mr nice to be really entertaining.

Read a follow up book about his family history or something where his ego seemed to have really exploded, had to give up on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

He's a legend and I'm sad to hear the news.
    I'm not gonna feed any of the trolls spouting ****e about karma either.
    He bought a non addictive, much sought after substance and sold it on again, big deal.
    A pacifist all his life too for that matter.
    Good luck Howard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Sad for his loved ones but seemed like a kinda crap person to his kids and first wife.
    mikom wrote: »
    The stench of jealousy off some of the posters in this thread is stronger than a group of lads burning some UK cheese.

Do people not realise how juvenile they sound when they accuse people of jealousy for no apparent reason?

His life was indeed interesting and colourful, but I can't imagine many people aspiring to live like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I don't know about the longterm effects of cannabis might be a contributory factor I guess but to me he just looks like any other life long cigarette smoker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Could'nt have happened to a nicer fella:rolleyes: Karma indeed !!!!!

By all accounts he's extremely nice.

Auldloon wrote: »
    I don't know about the longterm effects of cannabis might be a contributory factor I guess but to me he just looks like any other life long cigarette smoker.

Most likely a lot more to do with the tobacco in his joints than the cannabis

It's a real shame, he is a great character and a harmless, pacifist.

I was only listening to and enjoying this podcast with him last week, very honest and entertaining interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Like what? Other then being a career criminal of course. Has anything he done been of any value to decent society?

as in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

hju6 wrote: »
    as in ?

People who don't use illegal drugs for a start.

Yous aren't seriously arsed having that whole conversation? What could possibly be the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

mikom wrote: »
    The stench of jealousy off some of the posters in this thread is stronger than a group of lads burning some UK cheese.

For a minute, I thought you were talking about what I was smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Skin damage due to cigarettes and sun damage. But do you really want to be the prettiest corpse in the graveyard?

He has been places, and had excitement in his life. Yes he broke the law by importing and selling cannabis, laws that countries around the world are now re-evaluating. But you have to admire some of the ingenuity he went to in his bid to skirt the law.

He was a bit of a **** to his first wife, and kids, but it seems to be a trend for people of that age and social standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

My brother suggested I read Mr Nice. I decided I'd humour him and give it a shot. I had no hesitation in stopping reading the egotistical nonsense after a few chapters. The scumbag collaborated with the provisional IRA in importing guns and drugs through Shannon Airport back in the 70's. He was a drug dealer. Almost certainly a sociopath as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Schwiiing wrote: »
    People who don't use illegal drugs for a start.
    So when they legalise cannabis in the coming years he'll be sound with you then?
    Skin damage due to cigarettes and sun damage. But do you really want to be the prettiest corpse in the graveyard?
    He always looked old, even when he was young.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Sad to hear this, always seemed like an entertaining and decent guy in interviews.

My brother suggested I read Mr Nice. I decided I'd humour him and give it a shot. I had no hesitation in stopping reading the egotistical nonsense after a few chapters. The scumbag collaborated with the provisional IRA in importing guns and drugs through Shannon Airport back in the 70's. He was a drug dealer. Almost certainly a sociopath as well.

He didn't bring any guns into Ireland or anywhere else, and the IRA deny the guy you're referring to (Jim McCann) at Shannon was even a member.
    The 70's was a different time as well, the IRA would have had a lot of sympathy then.

You'd know this if you'd read the book but as you say you didn't, so your opinion of the story in it is obviously void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Almost certainly a sociopath as well.

Sounds like Sarge/flutterin bantam/Fulton crown..........

I've spent time with Marks on numerous occasions and never seen a trace of this in him.
    But it may take one to know one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'd clicked into the thread before I realised that Howard Marx is not the guy who sang Hazard. Ah well sure I'll post the video anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

egotistical nonsense
    Oh the ironing!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The man looks dreadful for only 69. I suppose a life of chronic cannabis use takes its toll..
    His time in prison, and high stress, caused by handling large shipments of drugs whilst dealing with inept people, can do that to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

It is being reported this morning that Howard marks has died

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36012026

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Intresting man to say the least, well educated,good personality and made millions selling illegal weed, may mr nice RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

A sad day, I met him at a book signing a few years ago. He was a gentleman, a great story teller.
    I'm gonna smoke one for him tonight.
    RIP Howard.

Advertisement