Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Temp fluctuating between -1c and +0.5C depending on how much cloud is overhead... I'm not overly optimistic about the Irish Sea getting its act together based on today so far but would like to be pleasantly surprised...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Zack Morris

February is the driest month in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Great Golfing weather there :D

Once the greens thaw :p

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Temp fluctuating between -1c and +0.5C depending on how much cloud is overhead... I'm not overly optimistic about the Irish Sea getting its act together based on today so far but would like to be pleasantly surprised...

We definitely need a thumbs down for the bah humbug comments but this will have to do for the moment :p

Edit (cos I feel bad): I know it's not really a bah-humbug comment! Sorry Blizzard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Fair play to Met Eireann who called this "event" properly. Some posters on here I'd say eating humble pie in large amounts today.......

I'd say it was lucky for them it could of been so different. I'd say met e was sweating at one stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Great Golfing weather there :D

If the month was changed from February to July ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Was there much snow on the ground up there from the last fews day at all ?

Up to around 30 cm in ditches, etc., and 10 cm on the flat. The roads are still compacted in a few spots and there is a sheet of ice at Lough Bray.

I'd say it was lucky for them it could of been so different. I'd say met e was sweating at one stage
    Ah yeah, pure luck alright. Sure they just wing it all the time and hope for the best.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Recent rain shower in Greystones.

1.9C

DP -0.3C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

FWVT wrote: »
    Ah yeah, pure luck alright. Sure they just wing it all the time and hope for the best.

A come on I don't mean it like that :) but it could of been a snow fest and met e didn't go into it much and THIS TIME lucky for them. Do u no wat I mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

FWVT wrote: »

Code Red Rachael didn't go too good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

A come on I don't mean it like that :) but it could of been a snow fest and met e didn't go into it much and THIS TIME lucky for them. Do u no wat I mean?

Not lucky at all. They waited till the models were in a reliable time frame. If it was model 48 hours before hand for nation wide snow then their forecast would have mirrored that.
    It would have been mad for them to call for snow 5 days out.
    you can call moderate rain out at 4 days. The disturbance for rain for most people has little impact on them. But snow is different. It disturbs everyone who has intentuons of leaving the house.

It's unfair to say MET E where lucky when they get it right, but not to call it unlucky when they get it wrong.

Most of us got no snow. Like Met E said, thats why they have jobs. Fair play to them.

On to the next roller coaster

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Will there be anything for Dublin tonight

No idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Unlikely. Any precip along the coast is likely to fall sleet or rain.

Dublin 4
    temp 1c
    dew point 0c

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Nabber wrote: »
    Unlikely. Any precip along the coast is likely to fall sleet or rain.

Dublin 4
    temp 1c
    dew point 0c

It's minus where I live in cabra it has to come as snow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snowing here in Donegal, too light to lie, but nice dry flakes
    edit: Didnt even show up on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Well, if you have any clear skies, the moon is full tonight (at 11:09 p.m. it is exactly full) and you will see Jupiter off to its upper left, about as bright as it will get this winter as we pass by the largest planet on the 6th. Compare its rather steady golden light to the frequent twinkling of Sirius located lower down in the southern sky at the midnight hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Concerning any out of the ordinary weather event at any time of the year it always really annoys me how worked up people get about what did or didn't happen in the end or the told ya so's or the MET were right HAHA or the MET were wrong HAHA or the Forum regulars were right HAHA or Wrong HAHA.

People need to understand:

Weather Forecasting is not an exact science. (Chaotic systems)
    There are reliable and unreliable forecasting timeframes.
    There are differing reliable and unreliable forecasting timeframes for different types of weather events.
    That the MET do not have the luxury of calling things as early as the forecasting regulars here.
    That boards forecasters can only describe what the models are showing. Its not that they interpreted what the forecast model was showing wrong but that the model itself was wrong.
    The regular boards forecasters get blamed for hyping possible weather events when in fact they are only describing what some models are positing. Its the viewers themselves that let themselves get hyped and hype others in turn.

The way I look at it is that with the MET one will only hear about a big event about 2-3 days out at most for obvious reasons. With boards, I get to hear and enjoy the discussions about the possibility of an event 5-7 days out. If one loses the head every time the models turn out to be wrong but blame the regulars then they'll pack their bags (AGAIN :D ) and we'll be back to only hearing about events from the MET within a much tighter time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,482 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Any reports from Bray?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Any reports from Bray?

Not sure about Bray but fell as mostly rain with some sleet a short while ago near Wicklow Town. DP's too high I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,482 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

HighLine wrote: »
    Not sure about Bray but fell as mostly rain with some sleet a short while ago near Wicklow Town. DP's too high I think.

This is what we have to watch out for because it could turn pavements in to ice rinks in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Any reports from Bray?

Greystones - Light sleet shower just started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Had a nice covering of snow here this am - roads were dodgy in parts but it didn't last long. Still we have seen snow each time it's been called here on these weather threads. Up a little high here though and it gets its own weather sometimes. Very cold and dry tonight.

South Sligo.

Sleet in Greystones.

1.6C

DP -0.4C

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Greystones - Not even sleet now, just cold rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

The forecasts of -7 or near that in east Leinster is a bit laughable.

we got -8c this morning, but it was -3 by 8pm last night. It is 1c now. no way it will dig in that low tonight.

eigrod wrote: »
    Greystones - Not even sleet now, just cold rain.

Temp and DP rising rapidly under the cloud cover.

1.8C

DP -0.2C

Rain in my part of Greystones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

Not sure how to describe what's coming out of the sky here (Roundwood). It's like a really heavy snowy mist, lots of small grains. Temp is +0.3c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The forecasts of -7 or near that in east Leinster is a bit laughable.

we got -8c this morning, but it was -3 by 8pm last night. It is 1c now. no way it will dig in that low tonight.

I don't believe it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement