Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fornication from my past life

Options
  • 25-01-2015 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I was raised in a family with difficult circumstances, so I left home at the age of 17
    Until the age of 22 I did what I had to do in order survive, needless at that time my faith in the lord was not strong.
    I worked a lot, was very lonely and met all the wrong men.
    I am ashamed to admit I've done a lot of sins, I would not blame the men I met because it was my responsibly to protect my body and soul, but I was young and felt abandoned by everyone - my parents, my friends and god as well.

When I turned 22 I met a guy, the best guy I ever met, he showed me the way, showed me how real love should look like, explained to me that a'll I've been through was a test from God, that God is strongest for us in our most difficult moments, today I'm in such different place in my life thanks to him, thanks to Jesus.

Just sometimes it is hard for me to believe that God will forgive me after all my sins, I want to be a good wife and mother and I pray every day God will give me strength to do that

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

hellenkell wrote: »
    I was raised in a family with difficult circumstances, so I left home at the age of 17
    Until the age of 22 I did what I had to do in order survive, needless at that time my faith in the lord was not strong.
    I am ashamed to admit I've done a lot of sins, I would not blame the men I met because it was my responsibly to protect my body and soul, but I was young and felt abandoned by everyone - my parents, my friends and god as well.

When I turned 22 I met a guy, the best guy I ever met, he showed me the way, showed me how real love should look like, explained to me that a'll I've been through was a test from God, that God is strongest for us in our most difficult moments, today I'm in such different place in my life thanks to him, thanks to Jesus.

Just sometimes it is hard for me to believe that God will forgive me after all my sins, I want to be a good wife and mother and I pray every day God will give me strength to do that

Can I ask why you willingly subject yourself to a belief system that has you absolutely terrified as to whether you made the grade? Why is it you don't believe you have the ability to do good things on your own?
    As you say, you went through a rough patch in your life, you made some wrong decisions but you came out of it a better person, am I correct? As long as you didn't do something horrible like murder, why should anyone, man or God, hold your past against you?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Defender OF Faith

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Can I ask why you willingly subject yourself to a belief system that has you absolutely terrified as to whether you made the grade? Why is it you don't believe you have the ability to do good things on your own?
    As you say, you went through a rough patch in your life, you made some wrong decisions but you came out of it a better person, am I correct? As long as you didn't do something horrible like murder, why should anyone, man or God, hold your past against you?
    The lady have said:

Clearly her belief system and faith played a very important role in here recovery that was a source from which she drew strength and purpose & she came here asking her fellow Christians for help and support.

As an atheist you will clearly not understand what she's going through so its better to leave it to those who will ~

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If religion helped you then I'm happy that your in a better place. But you should be aware of the fact you took it up while vulnerable and make sure you're not just following your man out of a fear of being alone again.
    Well could you not see the fact your life has turned around as a sign everythings cool? You've basically got your reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Juza1973

ScumLord wrote: »
    Well could you not see the fact your life has turned around as a sign everythings cool? You've basically got your reward.

It's just the beginning of her reward that will have no end. She repented as she is in a better situation than 99% of the people she might know I can assure her that.

Juza1973 wrote: »
    It's just the beginning of her reward that will have no end. She repented as she is in a better situation than 99% of the people she might know I can assure her that.
    How can you assure her of that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

How can you assure her of that?

Is that a genuine question or are you just trolling?

homer911 wrote: »
    Is that a genuine question or are you just trolling?
    It's a genuine question. These kind of memes are thrown out there and people just accept the wording. What kind of assurances are there that repentance will lead to having a better life than 99% of your peers? What if 50% of your peers also repent, is their repentance worth less or something? how could something like this even work?

I just think it's bizarre to make such a claim.

It's a genuine question. These kind of memes are thrown out there and people just accept the wording. What kind of assurances are there that repentance will lead to having a better life than 99% of your peers? What if 50% of your peers also repent, is their repentance worth less or something? how could something like this even work?

I just think it's bizarre to make such a claim.

You think it's bizarre because you are in the kind of mindset that doesn't allow you to understand what is being said, even should you not agree with it.

You think of "having a better life" but what you think is "having a better life" might not be what God consider "having a better life", or even the thread starter. A better life is a life that is more in the Grace of God, a more saintly one. If all her peer repent they will have the same benefit she does, but if 99% of her peers do not repent or did not do what she did just because they did not have the opportunity and or the ability then she is more in Grace of God than 99% of her peers, today. Remorse might never leave you and that's ok as soon as it doesn't turn into desperation and you can use it to improve yourself in the eyes of God, but the repentance WILL save you.

You think of "having a better life" but what you think is "having a better life" might not be what God consider "having a better life",

So basically, as a human, I cannot know for sure what "a better life" means? Okay...so if someone comes up to me and says "This is what God means by a better life for humans" and rattles on for a bit, how am I supposed to tell whether he's telling the truth or a falsehood?
    Do you understand what you're proposing here? You're proposing that humans cannot know anything at all. If this is what you're proposing, then this of necessity includes any claims of a god.
    but the repentance WILL save you.
    I'd like evidence of that please. I wouldn't want to be conned. You're stating as a fact, without quibble, that this repentance WILL (you were the one to put it in caps) save, so...evidence? If I say that antihistamines help save you from anaphylaxis shock, then I can point to any number of occasions where the medicine did just that. Whereas you? Have you died, seen the other side and can confirm this "repentance WILL save you" claim? What if I were to go the Muslim forum, talk to people there, and hear from them that only submission to Allah and the teachings of Muhammed will save me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Read the account of King David and you will see the very great mercy and Love God has for us. He had everything he could want. Communion with God, wealth, respect of his nation, great courage etc. Then he saw a woman bathing and 'kept looking' and lusted after her. The lady was somebody elses wife, but King David slept with her anyway and she conceived. Her husband Uriah did not know about it, and David had him placed at the front of a battle line so that he would be killed.

So do not fret! 'Repent, for the Kingdom of God is at hand'. Remember, Jesus did not condemn the adulteress (One of the most heinous of the sexual sins) neither, he said, 'Go, AND SIN NO MORE'. We have been washed clean in the blood of Jesus, and your faith in him has made you an inheritor in his Kingdom. Keep leaning on him, and you will not be let down.
    You have been saved, rejoice and be glad, and in the words of Jesus, 'Go and sin no more'

God Bless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

There is a thread dedicated to existence of God/atheism.

please use that thread if you wish continue that line of discussion.

Also, if people suspect posters of trolling, please use the report button.

Thanks for your attention.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Okay firstly that sounds like a guy has taken advantage of your vulnerability and filled your head with typical Christian guilt. As in, you suffered so much because "god" wanted you too. But now you have pleased him so everything is okay.

Secondly, more Christian guilt. You don't need "god" to forgive you. You don't need anyone to forgive you. You have done nothing wrong,

<MOD SNIP: Read charter before making such remarks. >

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mod:

Some interim posts moved to the Atheism megathread. Posters are advised to remember the charter. Not every thread is an invitation to discuss/criticise the bible. This is a personal issues and faith thread. One would expect that the OP was looking largely for Christian based answers. Though obviously constructive answers that aren't Christian based are more than welcome. Contributions seeking to challenge Christianity not as much.

Thanks,

Turtwig wrote: »
    Mod:

Some interim posts moved to the Atheism megathread. Posters are advised to remember the charter. Not every thread is an invitation to discuss/criticise the bible. This is a personal issues and faith thread. One would expect that the OP was looking largely for Christian based answers. Though obviously constructive answers that aren't Christian based are more than welcome. Contributions seeking to challenge Christianity not as much.

Thanks,

We were offering an alternative viewpoint to consider. Myself specifically, the questions I asked in my initial response were meant for the OP to ask herself, not to answer to me. Seeking a reinforcement of what it is you already believe is pointless.

We were offering an alternative viewpoint to consider. Myself specifically, the questions I asked in my initial response were meant for the OP to ask herself, not to answer to me. Seeking a reinforcement of what it is you already believe is pointless.

I got a warning for using the term "make believe deity". Even though the point I was making was that all of this guilt, pressure and shame she feels is a construction of christian faith, and in all likelihood there is no-one judging her or testing her like she thinks.

So yeah, if trying to reassure someone warrants a warning then lock me up and throw away the key, guilty as charged.

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

jungleman wrote: »
    I got a warning for using the term "make believe deity". Even though the point I was making was that all of this guilt, pressure and shame she feels is a construction of christian faith, and in all likelihood there is no-one judging her or testing her like she thinks.

So yeah, if trying to reassure someone warrants a warning then lock me up and throw away the key, guilty as charged.

From the charter
    Do not discuss moderation decisions in a thread. If you have an issue with the actions of a mod, please contact them via PM. If the dispute has not been resolved after this correspondence, the correct procedure is to then PM the C-mods. If the issue remains unresolved, a thread should be started on the Dispute Resolution Forum.

Thank you for your attention

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

@RikuoAmero, you make some excellent incontrovertible points about the selective use of passages from the Bible to present things in a wholly positive light. But do you really think that the appropriate place to engage in this debunking is in a thread where an upset poster seeks comfort and reassurance from her co-religionists? Pick your battlefields more thoughtfully, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

As an atheist you will clearly not understand what she's going through so its better to leave it to those who will ~

Eh no it is decidedly not better to leave it to those who 'understand'. Speaking to those who agree with you is no way to learn anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

... today I'm in such different place in my life thanks to him, thanks to Jesus.
    Continue with the thanksgiving...even when you fail in big or small things - "Giving thanks is the sacrifice that honours me and I will surely save those who obey me" Psalm 50:23 (GNT)

He says it numerous times in His Word that He will forgive our sins and remove our guilt: you just need to be sincere and genuine and God will do the rest. Accept His forgiveness which He offers but then you must forgive yourself. You must act first and the feelings will follow. If you need the forgiveness of another person, for a wrong you've done them, seek God's help first and then make restitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I am a Christian, and although some religions might believe in a God that 'tests' us, I was never taught to believe that. What sort of God would 'test' us, knowing that we are merely weak imperfect humans and not perfect divine beings such as He. Why would He trip us up at every opportunity knowing that we can so easily fall. It doesn't make sense to the Christianity I was was brought up to believe. But I do believe there is another being, Satan, who is quite capable of tripping us up all along the line. When you change your life, accept Christ as your Saviour it really gets up Satan's nose, if he has one! My belief does not grind me into the ground with guilt even though there are times when I am guilty of doing wrong, the difference is knowing the difference between what is right, and what is wrong, and the right path to take. OP, from what you say, it looks like you are already on the right path. Stop fretting about the past, just work on your future, God just wants you to love him, and be happy. It has always been that simple for me. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Hellen I felt so sad reading your post. Everyone has a past. Most of us do things that we look back on with the benefit of hindsight and maturity and wish we had done differently. I'm a firm believer in learning from these experiences. You can't change them now so why torment yourself with guilt and regret? What's important is not allowing your past to continue to influence your present. You should like a wonderful wife who loves her family, that's what is important, not things you did when you were young and vulnerable. Don't let it consume you, it's not worth it.

SW wrote: »
    From the charter

Thank you for your attention

Duly noted, apologies mods.

My last comment on the matter is again to the OP. From what you have written, I think it would be beneficial if you looked at why you feel like things you may have done in your past are troubling you. Everyone has done things they're not proud of, or look back and cringe at. Everyone. Maybe it's time to look at your belief system and question whether or not that is trapping you in a negative place, stopping you from letting go. You only have one shot at life, make sure you don't spend the rest of yours fretting about being judged.

Eh no it is decidedly not better to leave it to those who 'understand'. Speaking to those who agree with you is no way to learn anything.

With all respect you are not the bearer of a point of view that is not known to the world, tv and media seems to shout this point of view all the time. She was not here to learn something new but to ask questions to her fellow Christians. Not all discussions must be redirected where you want them to lead them. She will learn about your point of view when she is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Juza1973 wrote: »
    With all respect you are not the bearer of a point of view that is not known to the world, tv and media seems to shout this point of view all the time. She was not here to learn something new but to ask questions to her fellow Christians. Not all discussions must be redirected where you want them to lead them. She will learn about your point of view when she is interested.

You know my views? Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Turtwig wrote: »
    Mod:

Thanks,

The lady may be looking for answers from a Christian perspective but I feel if she is still dealing with guilt after having already made changes to her life then she had bigger issues that can't be addressed here. I'm surprised you're allowing the thread to remain to be honest. It's more suited to personal issues. Posters here might be able to reassure her that her relationship with God is okay but it's disturbing to read a post so full of self loathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

@hellenkell
    As a mature woman and a sort of struggling-Christian, I do understand the contamination of past guilts; they are hard to shed. (Everyone makes foolish decisions from where they were "at the time"!)
    May I offer you two points that may reassure you:
    I was once told by a wise and insightful clergyman that "the sexual sins are not the worst of sins: there is usually no malice in them" (I leave aside some obvious exceptions)
    But the sexual experiments of the mixed-up young are the least of crimes, believe me. You may well regret them - and the lack of self-esteem that led to them, - but hey, we learn from mistakes and you are in a different and better place now.

Secondly, finding it hard to believe in forgiveness. Consider how Jesus asked - in the moments of an agonising death - that his killers should be forgiven. And how he always knew the heart of everyone, and offered them forgiveness and peace even when they had asked for something else.
    And I am quite sure you never did anything as awful as torture and crucifixion!!

Even if God is hard to believe in, Love is not: it's all around us, visible everywhere: and makes a fine stand-in for God on the days when faith is weak.
    And Satan? Just open the evening papers. I've never seen Satan, but I've seen Evil - it exists.

So be of good cheer and enjoy the gifts that you have received, and learn from experience with an open heart.

I wish you every blessing and wisdom.

Smiling

Shalom

katemarch wrote: »
    @hellenkell
    As a mature woman and a sort of struggling-Christian, I do understand the contamination of past guilts; they are hard to shed. (Everyone makes foolish decisions from where they were "at the time"!)
    May I offer you two points that may reassure you:
    I was once told by a wise and insightful clergyman that "the sexual sins are not the worst of sins: there is usually no malice in them" (I leave aside some obvious exceptions)
    But the sexual experiments of the mixed-up young are the least of crimes, believe me. You may well regret them - and the lack of self-esteem that led to them, - but hey, we learn from mistakes and you are in a different and better place now.

Secondly, finding it hard to believe in forgiveness. Consider how Jesus asked - in the moments of an agonising death - that his killers should be forgiven. And how he always knew the heart of everyone, and offered them forgiveness and peace even when they had asked for something else.
    And I am quite sure you never did anything as awful as torture and crucifixion!!

Even if God is hard to believe in, Love is not: it's all around us, visible everywhere: and makes a fine stand-in for God on the days when faith is weak.
    And Satan? Just open the evening papers. I've never seen Satan, but I've seen Evil - it exists.

So be of good cheer and enjoy the gifts that you have received, and learn from experience with an open heart.

I wish you every blessing and wisdom.

Smiling

Shalom

Now THAT i can mostly agree with (I of course don't believe there to be such a thing as sins, only actions claimed to be sins), but the sentiment behind that post I agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

Well that is a very moving post, sounds like you have a very well developed conscience. It takes courage to admit one is wrong / has done wrong in the past.

Life is a journey, and you took a wrong turn at 17 years, but at 22 years you were back on track. That is only 4 or 5 years where you did a few things that you now regret. But as some other posters have mentioned, it could have been worse, you could have gone through your whole life on the wrong track, but you did'nt, you did not kill anybody, disfigure them, run them over or cause serious injury etc etc.

I would continue on the course you are, developing your relationship with God, furthering your own understanding of yourself, continuing to be a good person, loving God, family, friends and life.

There is a good book called the "Diary of St Faustina", which is a diary of a very intense, loving & deeply personal relationship of a young Polish nun with Jesus Christ. If you get a chance, give it a read, I think you would enjoy it very much.

Don't forget you have a guardian angel, who you can call on to assist with finding answers to various questions in your mind. Your guardian angel can help you with lots of things. Don't hesitate to call on him!!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Now THAT i can mostly agree with (I of course don't believe there to be such a thing as sins, only actions claimed to be sins), but the sentiment behind that post I agree with.

It never ceases to amaze me how much atheists blather on about "spaghetti fairies in the sky", but when the essence of Christianity is put to them, they agree with it.

I've read the Bible from cover to cover. There is no spaghetti in it, or hating gays, or hate in general. Anywhere! But there is a few mentions of love, and forgiveness, and acceptance, that kind of thing. In fact, if you go to mass, you'll hear these "way-out" messages every day! Imagine that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

newmug wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how much atheists blather on about "spaghetti fairies in the sky", but when the essence of Christianity is put to them, they agree with it.

I've read the Bible from cover to cover. There is no spaghetti in it, or hating gays, or hate in general. Anywhere! But there is a few mentions of love, and forgiveness, and acceptance, that kind of thing. In fact, if you go to mass, you'll hear these "way-out" messages every day! Imagine that!
    The issue for us is this, the 'essence of christianity', as you call it, is pretty basic stuff, and it need no supernatural overseer, nor did it need anyone supernatural to come up with it.

Your 'essence' is something that was around long before your Jesus, and if you had any interest in reading outside of your own religion, you would see that the ideas and concepts behind it were espoused repeatedly down the ages by many many different religions and many different non-religious people.

We agree because it is obvious. We disagree that there is anything supernatural about it. The only supernatural I need is the TV show, very happy the new season started. :)

MrP

Advertisement