Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yaris 2000-2002 or Polo same age?

• 24-01-2015 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all

Planning to buy my first car and am about to go mental. Looking for something old, small (up to 1.4) and reliable. Not planning to spend over 2 grand. My husband suggests to go for a Polo. I like the 2002 version, looks nice, but never drove one. Was on a passenger seat in Yaris - nice little car, same price range but seemed a bit too loud inside...

Very confused, because even at that price I find tons of different ones... Lost and don't know what to choose. Planning to have it for at least 2 years.

Maybe someone is selling my first car? :) We're in Meath, working in Dublin.

Please, help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yaris is a safe bet. Polo is a bit of a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 renemegane

Thanks. If I go with a Polo, what especially should I pay attention to?
    (Obviously, our mechanic will have a look, but I want to understand where it underperforms while the first test drive)
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yaris is a safe bet. Polo is a bit of a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,015 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I would go Yaris, the majority of the Polo's are poorly spec'd, most won't have electric windows. The Yaris usually demands a premium price. Yaris has a timing chain too so doesn't need the belt replaced like the Polo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A Yaris would be a safer bet than a Polo of that vintage. 1.0 litre Yaris is nipper, more refined and more reliable than the 1.2 Polo. A 2003 onwards Ford Fiesta 1.25 litre is worth looking at too.

Thanks, what's the best place to look for used cars? I use donedeal, but probably it's not the right website...
    bazz26 wrote: »
    A Yaris would be a safer bet than a Polo of that vintage. 1.0 litre Yaris is nipper, more refined and more reliable than the 1.2 Polo. A 2003 onwards Ford Fiesta 1.25 litre is worth looking at too.

• Advertisement

Can't wait to try one!

I would go Yaris, the majority of the Polo's are poorly spec'd, most won't have electric windows. The Yaris usually demands a premium price. Yaris has a timing chain too so doesn't need the belt replaced like the Polo.

At your price level, look at donedeal private sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will pay good money for a clean tidy Yaris, the cheap ones tend to be tired dogs.

We paid €2k for a 00 18 months ago.
    It is a very clean one, and I reckon we'd get most if that back today.

YARIS - all the way!! Owned two of them - they have great re-sale value. They ever let me down - even the 99D reg which I only sold last year for 2.5K..... go YARIS!

• Advertisement

Yaris? You happy with it? Was it NCT'd and taxed then?

We paid €2k for a 00 18 months ago.

Haha))) Thank you) Very inspiring))))

YARIS - all the way!! Owned two of them - they have great re-sale value. They ever let me down - even the 99D reg which I only sold last year for 2.5K..... go YARIS!

renemegane wrote: »
    Yaris? You happy with it? Was it NCT'd and taxed then?

Tax is only 200 or so on them for a year, think there was a few months on it alright. Yes it was tested,

She loves it, she came from a micra.

IjCxwn.jpg

Haha))) Thank you) Very inspiring)))) If I bought 99, do you think I could count on 2-3 years drive?

One more question))) Was it an old micra? Boxy one?
    Tax is only 200 or so on them for a year, think there was a few months on it alright. Yes it was tested,

She loves it, she came from a micra.

It was the K11, kinda 93-02 model.

Was looking at newer ones, they seem ok too. Thought she was not happy with 02 onwards. Thanks for the info

It was the K11, kinda 93-02 model.

The newer micras aren't built as well, in my opinion.
    She didn't have any trouble with hers (she had 2 1997 micras) apart from rust (which killed both of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

You'll easily get 2-3 years safe, cheap and reliable motoring.

Actually drove my sisters 05 model today. It's a nippy enough for a 1.0, easily do 120kph and it's a perfectly fine car to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Had a 2001 Polo , in mid '00's and it gave some trouble with warning lights every few months .

Had a crash and can say it was definately a strong car , as it took a massive impact , but little damage.

not much in front of you in a Yaris , but is definately more economical than a Polo

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The yaris is by far a better car than a polo. The polo despite it's quality image is not really a great car imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

You really cannot beat a Yaris for a first car. Just keep changing the oil every now and again and it will most probably provide years of hassle free service. They demand high prices here for a reason, so you may pay a little bit dearly for one, though for a first car it will be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭dhog4n

My sister has had a 2004 1.2 Polo for about 18 months. She is taking a free 1996 1.4 Polo from me shortly (the family back up car) just to get away from the constant repair bills.

It seems that engine is to be avoided. It has never run right during the 18 months. It has had two out of three coils replaced and only has full compression on one cylinder despite the repeated efforts of her mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

renemegane wrote: »
    Hi all

Was on a passenger seat in Yaris - nice little car, same price range but seemed a bit too loud inside...

I have a 2000 polo the engine in it is quite loud and sounds a bit like a diesel apparently this is the norm with polos but apart from that it's a great car

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

With respect, what you're saying is nonsense. Carzone is mainly dealers, and nobody uses CBG.
    The biggest selection is on donedeal, of course there are a few crap examples, but that's only because there are so many cars.

I have bought many cars from donedeal advertisers without issue, if you're suggesting that CBG or carzone have some sort of quality controls on the cars that are being sold, or that donedeal is exclusively for messers then you're miles out.

I assume sound isolation in old Micras is far from Yaris tho
    The newer micras aren't built as well, in my opinion.
    She didn't have any trouble with hers (she had 2 1997 micras) apart from rust (which killed both of them)

Have you had it for long? Any problems w/it?
    I have a 2000 polo the engine in it is quite loud and sounds a bit like a diesel apparently this is the norm with polos but apart from that it's a great car

• Advertisement

So if to go for a Polo then choose an older version, right?
    dhog4n wrote: »
    My sister has had a 2004 1.2 Polo for about 18 months. She is taking a free 1996 1.4 Polo from me shortly (the family back up car) just to get away from the constant repair bills.

It seems that engine is to be avoided. It has never run right during the 18 months. It has had two out of three coils replaced and only has full compression on one cylinder despite the repeated efforts of her mechanic.

Advertisement