Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you vote in the Marriage Equality referendum? Mod Note Post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I'll be voting yes. Seeing as the no side have to lie to attempt to get voters there can't be any reasons not to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭dimsumss

nay

it will probably fail,apart from a few priests

the church is against it

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Will be voting yes obviously. Quite simply, there's not a single legitimate reason why someone would vote no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

Oh dear, that's one hell of an impressionable reason not to vote for an issue affecting one hell of a broader group.

Very silly - even something you agree with?

Ah, there we go. Why didn't you just say that? :D
    (A view you're entitled to btw - it's annoying when the no voters come up with all these spurious terrible arguments; why not just say number 3, which I may not agree with it but at least it's not as woeful as the other "pointers").

See, another one trying to tell me how to think and what to say.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

How someone can say they're a practicing Catholic just after saying they support gay marriage is beyond me. Way to contradict yourself..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Hence the reason I have stopped practicing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

See, another one trying to tell me what to say.....
    I'm not telling you what to say - I'm expressing my view on the silliness and pettiness of points 1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I will be voting yes, of course. I have many gay friends and can't see any reason why they shouldn't be allowed to get married.

And this "family unit" thing is so stupid. Do people who say this have a thing against single parent families also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I will be voting yes, of course. I have many gay friends and can't see any reason why they shouldn't be allowed to get married.

And this "family unit" thing is so stupid. Do people who say this have a thing against single parent families also?

Probably, its just they know the limits of what they can get away with saying. Same logic can be used about interracial couples too but being against those is racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

The only reason I would vote no ( and as I've said I'll probably vote yes) is because I disagree with voting on rights for one group when others still don't have rights in areas that are life or death.

But equality is very important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Macavity. wrote: »
    I will be voting no because Jehovah is my savior and Jesus is my prophet. Praise be the Lord!
    Show me where Jesus said anything about homosexuality?

To paraphrase Madame Roland as she went to the guillotine : "Jesus, what nonsense is spoken in your name".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I doubt you actually give a crap about polygamists or bigamists, it's just a thinly veiled justification to cover for your actual reasons.

I'll be voting yes in any case, not only because it's the right and fair thing to do but it's a big middle finger to close-minded bigots like Breeder O'Brien and the Ionians.

I just think those using the equality argument are staying rather silent on certain issues, and are voting for marriage restrictions to continue in other areas.
    One could say the bigots are preventing polygamy, voting yes continues this given it specifically restricts marriage to two people.

Btw if marriage was taken out of state control it wouldn't be able to decide who you marry or how many are in the marriage, legal protection on the age of sexual consent would protect minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Anything that the far right catholic headbangers in this country are against i will vote for

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I will vote in favour of same sex marriage. Marriage as a concept and practice would have been around before the most popular religions there are today, so there should be no problems (in theory). However, common sense does not always prevail with the voting numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I will be voting in favour of marriage equality because although it won't directly make a difference to my life it will make a massive difference to the lives of others.

I find it amusing how all of a sudden Ireland is so concerned with the notion of an acceptable "family unit".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,066 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

RobertKK wrote: »
    Voting no as I would rather a whole new system of marriage without state involvement.

There'd be no need for the concept of marriage at all if the state had absolutely no involvement in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

RobertKK wrote: »
    I just think those using the equality argument are staying rather silent on certain issues, and are voting for marriage restrictions to continue in other areas.
    One could say the bigots are preventing polygamy, voting yes continues this given it specifically restricts marriage to two people.

Btw if marriage was taken out of state control it wouldn't be able to decide who you marry or how many are in the marriage, legal protection on the age of sexual consent would protect minors.

You're quite religious, right? Rather than trying to muddy the debate with the whole "what about polygamy?" nonsense, would it not be easier to just admit that your opposition to equality for gay people stems from the fact that you believe homosexuality is a sin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Not guilty

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'll be voting yes. Finally got me off my ass to move my voting address.
    So that everyone has equality and proper protection under the law.

Some people think it doesn't affect them, but it affects us all, it is our society, our friends and our relations. Our fellow Irish men and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RayM wrote: »
    You're quite religious, right? Rather than trying to muddy the debate with the whole "what about polygamy?" nonsense, would it not be easier to just admit that your opposition to equality for gay people stems from the fact that you believe homosexuality is a sin?

I don't believe homosexuality is a sin, the way someone is born is not a sin and it is not seen as a sin in the church either.

What I want caters for everyone, whatever belief or none they have.
    I don't support heterosexual civil marriage, I simply believe the state has no role in the personal love lives of people.
    Civil marriage gives the state a role and I don't support it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

To move humanity forward. [Y]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

RayM wrote: »
    would it not be easier to just admit that your opposition to equality for gay people stems from the fact that you believe homosexuality is a sin?

It's arguments like this that are pushing me to the no camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

I will vote no in this referendum

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭duckman!!

How someone can say they're a practicing Catholic just after saying they support gay marriage is beyond me. Way to contradict yourself..

How someone can deny others of equal rights and then use there invisible friend as a valid reason is beyond me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Drakares wrote: »
    Why?
    He doesn't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I wish I was still resident to be able to vote "yes"

I've lived a country where it is allowed, and now a state where it is allowed. My own marriage hasn't suffered as a result of gay marriage being enacted in those places.

It's about equality for all and should be seen as a basic right.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

I don't even need to think about it. A big massive yes from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Sadly won't be voting as not a citizen.

BUT my hypothetical vote is with the yes camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

reprise wrote: »
    It's arguments like this that are pushing me to the no camp.

Had been thinking of voting yes but Im starting to think about voting no for the same reason some of the attitudes and comments from the yes side are really quite grating
    and I dont think im the only one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Id like to be viewed as an equal citizen in my own country. Yes and thank you to all those voting yes, even if you personally don't like gay marraige

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement